Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

One thing is for sure. If we do get relegated and keep even half of these players we will have one hell of a championship team. 

BBD 

Taylor 

Archer 

Aribo 

Edwards 

Woods 

Armstrong

Smallbone 

Should tear up the championship 25/26.

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

One thing is for sure. If we do get relegated and keep even half of these players we will have one hell of a championship team. 

That's a sensible choice from the management. Maybe that's what they foresee.

1 minute ago, Saint NL said:

Even if we sell Downes and THB we'd have Charles a year older and probably be able to get modest replacements for both. Should put us in a better position than when we went down last time at any rate. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

I doubt they "forsee it" but having it in mind during player purchases is a sensible thing first season up. On the basis we get Ramsdale or Johnstone (or a similar standard GK) and a quality AM (MOR seems more hopeful now) then I think we will survive. It won't be pretty at times but we may just have enough eoththose players added to a good group already. 

12 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

honestly this will be interesting to watch as its make or break for him.

he should play alot i'd guess so hopefully he develops, its chelsea's 2nd club so they have a load of their players there so quality should be high.

not sure who the coach is now viera was sacked (edit its Liam Rosenoir !!!!) but i bet they get someone who wants to play ball.

I can see this Chelsea relationship really benefiting us, we will never compete with them but play a similar style so might get access to players others wouldnt.

Chelsea have gone with a championship PB manager, he was only bested by our own PB manager for possesion stats. Both know each other, and both know how much coaching needs to be done to get a tune outta PB.

With Chelsea massive player pool, we must be a good fit to "help" develope PB players, either on loan or sale with a eye on buying back if they want.

As you said, we will not compete with them, but can give players a great platform to learn PB football. We recruited heavily from MC as well as they are the ultimate PB club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Speaking to my Villa mate he quite likes him, says he's a brilliant finisher but all around game needs a bit of work. I'd prefer him to Mara, that's for sure. 

And then there's the United fans saying he's lazy. Decent finisher, all round game needing work, and questionable work rate could also describe Mara. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

And then there's the United fans saying he's lazy. Decent finisher, all round game needing work, and questionable work rate could also describe Mara. 

Strange. A lot of what I saw was saying he worked really hard, pressed a lot, didn't have the best all-round game but was a quick and twitchy finisher who gets a lot of power in tight spaces

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, saintant said:

Did we get them signed up and registered before 12.00 meaning they can be in the squad tomorrow? As nothing's been heard I'm guessing no.

well they should do so, the medical will be pull your trousers down and cough, then the contract will be on the back of a vape packet. Right thats all the necessaries done lets fax it to the FA

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

Strange. A lot of what I saw was saying he worked really hard, pressed a lot, didn't have the best all-round game but was a quick and twitchy finisher who gets a lot of power in tight spaces

I’ve been described exactly like that for years by Mrs Kidd. Small world 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 17

After these two additions, we obviously need a GK and attacking midfield option...anything else?

Striker wise we would have 3 (4 incl Ross Stewart) - possibly enough?

Out wide we could probably do with a right sided player which is why we have been linked with a few, thats probably the main one.

Full back we seem to have a lot of options but a number of them with big question marks: KWP, Manning, Bree, also Wellington who is seemingly a Saints signing rather than Goztepe.

If KWP goes then I would try to get shot of Bree (not PL level) and get in another RB.

Quality still questionable but numbers wise we look fairly strong.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, egg said:

can't say his finishing looks that decent from the inevitable youtube montages ... looks great when it goes in, but lots of missing the target from arm's length trying to blast a hole in the net too. i'm optimistic anyway. not sure if it's just me but not having che around feels like a weight off the shoulders, that we might not have to create 5 chances for every goal.

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

BBD 

Taylor 

Archer 

Aribo 

Edwards 

Woods 

Armstrong

Smallbone 

Should tear up the championship 25/26.

It is a sensible transfer policy so far. I said at the start of the summer that it's likely the three that go up, go down, and our transfer dealings should have one eye on that. So far we have both strengthened the team should we go back down and simultaneously brought in some promising younger players that can grow with the club should we stay up, along with some experience. We're in good shape for whatever happens this season. Loaning the right players to add quality to the first team and staying up should be very much attainable. Ipswich likewise, they haven't signed Prem players as such but if they go down they have strengthened their team for another push. I don't want Saints to become a yoyo club but the more Prem time we get, the stronger the squad will become overall. 

With Ugochukwu and Archer coming in, we just need one more AM/winger type and a GK (Aside from any more outs).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Funny how the mood has changed. Wednesday we were certain for relegation with this pointless promotion. Today everyones excited about signings one a player we've never heard of until yesterday evening the other someone not a single person has suggested would be a good signing up until now. 🤣

I think the upturn in mood is probably to do with Mara leaving. For actual money !

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

After these two additions, we obviously need a GK and attacking midfield option...anything else?

Striker wise we would have 3 (4 incl Ross Stewart) - possibly enough?

Out wide we could probably do with a right sided player which is why we have been linked with a few, thats probably the main one.

Full back we seem to have a lot of options but a number of them with big question marks: KWP, Manning, Bree, also Wellington who is seemingly a Saints signing rather than Goztepe.

If KWP goes then I would try to get shot of Bree (not PL level) and get in another RB.

Quality still questionable but numbers wise we look fairly strong.

GK, AM, and a diminuative WB/W last seen in the Tyneside area I reckon. 

11 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

There's a post up there somewhere in which there was mention of the work rate which was pretty much my biggest issue with Mara. The least a player can do is put proper effort on while he's on the pitch. Hopefully Archer does that, and contributes as a striker. 

Ugochukwu... we may not have a buying clause and Chelsea may rate him now, but it's Chelsea... they'll probably have signed another ten DMs by next summer and we could end up signing him permanently anyway. 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, SNSUN said:

Ugochukwu... we may not have a buying clause and Chelsea may rate him now, but it's Chelsea... they'll probably have signed another ten DMs by next summer and we could end up signing him permanently anyway. 🤪

yeah, another couple of managers through their door by then and who knows ?

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gio1saints said:

If Lesley is as good as his reputation then he probably should be starting ahead of Jack Stephens in any five man defence set up. Or indeed Shea.

At 6ft 3 he is a unit and going to be fine doing that and being a French u21 international he must be able to pass the ball. 

Im happy we’ve added some obvious steel to our CMF. 

Mara was a French U-21 international.......

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Again, we absolutely should not be entrusting the success of our season on a young player with very little experience. Martin will feel the same way. 

I don't think we have a lot of choice really. We don't have the funds to buy everything we need and with Dibling and SAA we have two attacking midfielders that could do well for us this season. 

14 minutes ago, egg said:

There's a post up there somewhere in which there was mention of the work rate which was pretty much my biggest issue with Mara. The least a player can do is put proper effort on while he's on the pitch. Hopefully Archer does that, and contributes as a striker. 

Don't get your hopes up, he's an atrocious finisher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't think we have a lot of choice really. We don't have the funds to buy everything we need and with Dibling and SAA we have two attacking midfielders that could do well for us this season. 

I disagree and I suspect Martin does too which is why I reckon we will be bringing in an AM before the window closes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Where did you get that from? Both villa and Sheffield United fans said his finishing was good and Sheffield United fans don't seem to rate him. 

The times I've seen him play he seems to snatch at chances, lacks composure. 

I'm sure I'll get ridiculed as writing someone off before they arrive but I'd like to remind everyone I was the person who made the infamous "all his goals seems scuffed or poor defending" about Che when we signed him ;)

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I disagree and I suspect Martin does too which is why I reckon we will be bringing in an AM before the window closes. 

That's fine but it means we'll be lacking elsewhere. 

19 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

That's fine but it means we'll be lacking elsewhere. 

Well other than a keeper we don't have an urgent need for other positions so I don't see how. Once striker and dm are in place then it's only keeper and AM we need and maybe a winger would be nice to have. 

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Classic example of that at 2:21. Right out of the Adams' school of finishing that one.

He scored in this game at 2:30. It was a defensive error, but he did pretty well. He has a turn of foot, that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Well other than a keeper we don't have an urgent need for other positions so I don't see how. Once striker and dm are in place then it's only keeper and AM we need and maybe a winger would be nice to have. 

Also Dibling needs to play and be given a chance to show what he can do.

The keeper is the more urgent one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Not a name or description I hoped I’d see in connection with a Saints player or management team again.CFD0201B-16A8-4F55-9DBE-4CB102E9F36F.webp.4fd3d9596c358e585129239b7e6c7ae6.webp

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I'm sure I'll get ridiculed as writing someone off before they arrive but I'd like to remind everyone I was the person who made the infamous "all his goals seems scuffed or poor defending" about Che when we signed him ;)

TBF it's been a pretty safe bet writing off all Southampton strikers since Ings - and even he received plenty.  As for Archer, I'll do what normally do at this stage and imagine he's going to set the league on fire.

16 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Also Dibling needs to play and be given a chance to show what he can do.

The keeper is the more urgent one.

I agree with this totally.  We need one more keeper, ideally a starter, so that Alex can warm the bench.  And I'd rather see Tyler getting loads of minutes than signing someone who blocks his path. 

• Like 1

and his fourth (I think this was his first goal of the season actually) at 0:34. Worth noting that the second (own) goal at 0:54 is from his decent shot. 

...and that's all folks. 

• Like 1

On the face of it Archer doesn't have the kind of profile I was hoping for and very similar to Armstrong.  I guess BBD could play the more physical role in a two or be the focal point in a three.  We'll have to see on that.

Haven't really seen enough of Archer to make any kind of judgement.  Hopefully has good movement and striker instincts which we've really lacked.  Adams definitely didn't have it and lost count of the number of times no one gambled on a near post run to nick in front of the defender.

Rest of the proposed deals look reasonable - getting shot of Mara and big Les if it means allowing Charles to go out on loan (especially if it helps with getting a deal done for MOR).