Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I think you will, I doubt Chelsea are loaning him to us so he can sit on the bench and study the further adventures of Captain Jack !

They will expect him to play, and so do I, seems very much in the Lavia mould just a tad older however.

Less fragile than Lavia, we hope.

• Like 2

Thinking about the links / leaks we've seen in recently weeks.. all to be taken with a pinch of salt of course.... 

Charles, Alcaraz, TP & Mara all to leave. 

Lesley, Carvalho, Oriley (apparently we wanted both) & Archer

Lesley seems like a logical replacement for an outbound Charles. 

Archer seems logical to replace Mara & TP. And could play on the wing, so also the Carvalho cover. 

So I wouldn't be surprised if we're still in the market for a creative central midfielder. Maybe Oriley (looks unlikely), as we still lack a replacement for Stu and Alcaraz should he leave. 

Probably just being optimistic.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

If I had to guess, O'Riley comes in along with a GK and possibly another Forward or winger.

I am optimistic about O'Riley.

Atalanta have seemingly turned their attentions to Lazar Samardzić as per Fabrizio Romano last night, with further updates this morning that a deal is progressing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

Thinking about the links / leaks we've seen in recently weeks.. all to be taken with a pinch of salt of course.... 

Charles, Alcaraz, TP & Mara all to leave. 

Lesley, Carvalho, Oriley (apparently we wanted both) & Archer

Lesley seems like a logical replacement for an outbound Charles. 

Archer seems logical to replace Mara & TP. And could play on the wing, so also the Carvalho cover. 

So I wouldn't be surprised if we're still in the market for a creative central midfielder. Maybe Oriley (looks unlikely), as we still lack a replacement for Stu and Alcaraz should he leave. 

Probably just being optimistic.  

Makes sense. A creative type midfielder and a decent goalkeeper we hope.

Archer seems like a decent signing, highly rated, not a bad price. Bit of a weird going with Sheffield United as it was reported he'd signed for £18m on a permanent deal. He resigned for VIlla at the start of July now moving to us by the looks of it.

• Like 1

Atalanta are in for attacking midfielder Lazar Samardžić at Udinese according to Fab. 

MOR links to saints have all but vanished but Brighton have signed a midfielder for big money and if Atalanta spend big on this guy then maybe there is hope we can get MOR with Shea Charles going the other way maybe. 

Just now, Saint Scott said:

I am optimistic about O'Riley.

Atalanta have seemingly turned their attentions to Lazar Samardzić as per Fabrizio Romano last night, with further updates this morning that a deal is progressing.

Supposedly this deal for the Chelsea guy will allow us to loan out Shea for the season to aid his development.

Celtic are big fans of Shea and have enquired about him. We want O'Riley, 2+2=5 probably, but there's something to be done there - maybe.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Supposedly this deal for the Chelsea guy will allow us to loan out Shea for the season to aid his development.

Celtic are big fans of Shea and have enquired about him. We want O'Riley, 2+2=5 probably, but there's something to be done there - maybe.

O'riley price also doesn't seem completely out of our league either. We haven't seen a link in ages but it's not completely dead yet. 

Just now, Turkish said:

Makes sense. A creative type midfielder and a decent goalkeeper we hope.

Archer seems like a decent signing, highly rated, not a bad price. Bit of a weird going with Sheffield United as it was reported he'd signed for £18m on a permanent deal. He resigned for VIlla at the start of July now moving to us by the looks of it.

I think it was Villa essentially knowing they could re-sale for more than they brought him back for. 

They had a ridiculous deal where they had a buy back (£16m I think), then had a sell on, so basically got him back for about 6m cheaper than they paid for him... who signed that off at Sheff Utd, is a moron. 

The more I look at this chelsea chap, the more excited I am. I had major fears over Downes ability to play all game, every game. He's so important to us, that we simply would need him to. 

This lad looks like hes more than capable of covering in downes absence and playing along side him when he is fit. Great deal. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Atalanta are in for attacking midfielder Lazar Samardžić at Udinese according to Fab. 

MOR links to saints have all but vanished but Brighton have signed a midfielder for big money and if Atalanta spend big on this guy then maybe there is hope we can get MOR with Shea Charles going the other way maybe. 

MArtin said the other day we're not currently in the running for MOR, which to me, would suggest we well and truely are... Martin has a tendency to not be completely honest with the media.. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dman said:

MArtin said the other day we're not currently in the running for MOR, which to me, would suggest we well and truely are... Martin has a tendency to not be completely honest with the media.. 

I'm possibly over-analysing but I was interested that he keeps saying 'we're not in the running right now' and 'we can't afford the price a club wants right now' - given we already know from Alfie House that personal terms are broadly agreed

Just now, CSA96 said:

I'm possibly over-analysing but I was interested that he keeps saying 'we're not in the running right now' and 'we can't afford the price a club wants right now' - given we already know from Alfie House that personal terms are broadly agreed

Yeah, I picked up on that too.

It does feel like the dominos are falling in to place, other suitors have moved on to other targets and having Shea as a make weight is a big bonus chip in our pocket.

12/1 on bet365 at the moment if you're feeling lucky 

I think Charles to Celtic is a pretty sensible move for the lad. He should get regular game time and Brendan plays in a similar style to us. 

Will the fact he plays for NI, cause any issues? I know he was born in Manchester, but would playing for Celtic cause any issues with him playing for the national team? genuinely intregiued.. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

I think Charles to Celtic is a pretty sensible move for the lad. He should get regular game time and Brendan plays in a similar style to us. 

Will the fact he plays for NI, cause any issues? I know he was born in Manchester, but would playing for Celtic cause any issues with him playing for the national team? genuinely intregiued.. 

What like Neil lennon? 

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

When was this? 

One of the last bits in the Newcastle presser. I actually thought the same thing. Just based on how he reacted I suspect there is more to come there, it felt like a telling look.

could also be nothing 😂 

Amazing how the transfer window works eh? A couple of days ago this thread was drab and lifeless with a lot of doom posting and 48hrs later it feels like there is a lot in motion… and there is still a couple of weeks left. More loanees to arrive I feel.

Funny how the mood has changed. Wednesday we were certain for relegation with this pointless promotion. Today everyones excited about signings one a player we've never heard of until yesterday evening the other someone not a single person has suggested would be a good signing up until now. 🤣

1 minute ago, Hopper said:

One of the last bits in the Newcastle presser. I actually thought the same thing. Just based on how he reacted I suspect there is more to come there, it felt like a telling look.

could also be nothing 😂 

Amazing how the transfer window works eh? A couple of days ago this thread was drab and lifeless with a lot of doom posting and 48hrs later it feels like there is a lot in motion… and there is still a couple of weeks left. More loanees to arrive I feel.

Keeper and AM in and most will be happy you feel with anything else being a bonus. 

Posted by Chelsea fan :

Lesley Ugochukwu —

There is a serious, SERIOUS case to make for him to stay with the Chelsea first team this season. HOWEVER, at this stage of his career, match time is vital. 

If all goes well, I believe Lesley will be a massive part of Russell Martin’s Southampton this season. Again, I like that David Ornstein stated that Chelsea have Ugo in their future plans, because he has the potential to be more than good enough. 

Southampton Supporters —

Lesley is a footballer with ball-retention, aerial ability, tackling ability (those long limbs), covers a lot of ground, ELITE engine, an eye for key passes, great build-up play, confident footballer (such an important trait nowadays), a great character for the locker room, and so much more. The footballing world has yet to see the best of him. Once he puts everything together… WOW. 

Please, don’t let this be another Andrey Santos x Nottingham Forest situation (I don’t think it will be).

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Posted by Chelsea fan :

Lesley Ugochukwu —

There is a serious, SERIOUS case to make for him to stay with the Chelsea first team this season. HOWEVER, at this stage of his career, match time is vital. 

If all goes well, I believe Lesley will be a massive part of Russell Martin’s Southampton this season. Again, I like that David Ornstein stated that Chelsea have Ugo in their future plans, because he has the potential to be more than good enough. 

Southampton Supporters —

Lesley is a footballer with ball-retention, aerial ability, tackling ability (those long limbs), covers a lot of ground, ELITE engine, an eye for key passes, great build-up play, confident footballer (such an important trait nowadays), a great character for the locker room, and so much more. The footballing world has yet to see the best of him. Once he puts everything together… WOW. 

Please, don’t let this be another Andrey Santos x Nottingham Forest situation (I don’t think it will be).

Sounds like that was written by Lesley's dad

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What like Neil lennon? 

That answers that one. I did have a quick check, not many have played for both... 

Like I said, it was a genuine question, I know it can be quite partizan in that part of the UK...

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He's nowhere near that, only about 5'8,5'9.

He's your nippy run in behind forward.

Archer is 5'11 which is 2 inches taller than Adam's (according to Wikipedia).

Thought Adams was taller to be honest. 

34 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Yeah, I picked up on that too.

It does feel like the dominos are falling in to place, other suitors have moved on to other targets and having Shea as a make weight is a big bonus chip in our pocket.

12/1 on bet365 at the moment if you're feeling lucky 

I just had a go on that….. thanks

1 minute ago, Saint NL said:

Lesley Ugochukwu

Help me pronounce that surname.

Ugo-chuck-wo?

Ug-ochuck-woo?

Something else?

If he comes let's just call him Ugo. Or,if we do use his full name there must be a possible adaptation of Agadoo to give him his own song 🙂

1 minute ago, saintant said:

If he comes let's just call him Ugo. Or,if we do use his full name there must be a possible adaptation of Agadoo to give him his own song 🙂

We call him Lesley, he really hates Pompey.

🤦

26 minutes ago, Dman said:

It might have been an issue say 15/20 years ago, but NI and the NI national team support has changed dramatically since then. There have been a few Celtic players who have played since the Lennon issue (he was subject to death threats, although there was a paramilitary element to it, as opposed to genuine NI supporters) including Paddy McCourt (who is viewed as a NI cult figure), Niall McGinn and Conor Hazard. Shea going to Celtic on loan would not affect the support he receives as a NI player - although he hasn't had a run of games to prove himself to Saints fans, he has been one of the better players for NI in the past two years

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Funny how the mood has changed. Wednesday we were certain for relegation with this pointless promotion. Today everyones excited about signings one a player we've never heard of until yesterday evening the other someone not a single person has suggested would be a good signing up until now. 🤣

I am struggling to see how Archer fits our central striker needs, assuming we might want to play one striker and two wingers at some point. He doesn't hold the ball up well, won't win anything in the air and his link up play is limited. He's more of a poacher that relies on others to create chances. Will we be able to open teams up and lay stuff on a plate for him? I'm not so sure about that. The good thing is that, unlike a signing from abroad, his experience of playing in the Prem last season may help him hit the ground running this time around, which is essential for us.  

I know nothing about Lesley Ugochukwu. I don't think Charles is of a Prem standard, so if this guy actually is, then that's a great and much needed upgrade. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saintant said:

Very quick first effort:

Ugochukwu wu he's with us for just a year

When he wins the ball back you will hear the saints fans cheer 

On the left on the right he is fucking dynamite 

He is fast he is strong and he's better than Shane long. 

5 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

It might have been an issue say 15/20 years ago, but NI and the NI national team support has changed dramatically since then. There have been a few Celtic players who have played since the Lennon issue (he was subject to death threats, although there was a paramilitary element to it, as opposed to genuine NI supporters) including Paddy McCourt (who is viewed as a NI cult figure), Niall McGinn and Conor Hazard. Shea going to Celtic on loan would not affect the support he receives as a NI player - although he hasn't had a run of games to prove himself to Saints fans, he has been one of the better players for NI in the past two years

So yeah, exactly like Lennon I guess @hypochondriac.... 🤦‍♂️

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Very quick first effort:

Not bad!

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Did we get them signed up and registered before 12.00 meaning they can be in the squad tomorrow? As nothing's been heard I'm guessing no.

As long as the paperwork was submitted to the PL they can be. I imagine the media department will be doing their bit this afternoon 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

I think you will, I doubt Chelsea are loaning him to us so he can sit on the bench and study the further adventures of Captain Jack !

They will expect him to play, and so do I, seems very much in the Lavia mould just a tad older however.

Our new wanyama but a better passer by the sounds of it (fingers crossed)

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

Did we get them signed up and registered before 12.00 meaning they can be in the squad tomorrow? As nothing's been heard I'm guessing no.

No, they'll have to have a full weeks training to learn Russball.....esp the Chelsea lad  🤪

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

How many loan slots are we allowed? https://www.givemesport.com/how-loan-rules-work-english-football-premier-league/#:~:text=Premier League clubs may not,club at any one time. would suggest 2, does anyone know how accurate that is? 

Would assume that the talk of Broja on loan is just agent talk if that's the case. 

2 loanees from Premier league clubs. I think the Broja chat is just lazy journalism. Easy link to make to create some noise.

I would hope we keep that second slot open for Ramsdale if we aren’t going in for Johnstone.

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Very quick first effort:

Ugochukwu
I was defeated, you won the war
Ugochukwu
Promise to love you forevermore

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

Drop one of the forwards and play 5-3-2 with 2 defensive mids and the wing backs providing the width 

I think this is likely. I suspect we might see it as a 3-4-1-2 with an AMC, possibly even a false 9 behind two wide forwards. Would make some sense seeing as we don’t have a proper 9 but with ArmA, BBD and Archer (and even Stewart?) have forwards more comfortable staying wide.

Of course, problems are who would be AMC/false 9 (just Dibling and Alcaraz fit that currently … Aribo at a push), what do you do with the wingers in the squad (Edozie / SAA) and how do you expect to last a season without a proper 9 (unless we do keep Paul who is … underwhelming?).

I can see us getting MOR once we (fingers crossed) cash in on ABK which sorts out AMC. If we can add Ramsdale as our second domestic loan that’d sort the GK out. That could be it, but I’d be nervous about starting the season without what I consider a proper striker.

Whatever happens it’s going to be a challenging season.

• Like 1

Going into the window, I thought we clearly needed 6 first team (lots of minutes) players, with an ongoing requirement to strengthen DM, that's been there for ages.

Leaving: Alex, Che, Stu, Brooks, Fraser, Flynn

In: Alex, Flynn, BBD, Cameron.

Up front is not like for like with Che, but Martin may have different tactics in mind. A unit of BBD, AA, TP, Cameron, Mara as it stands (Stewart perhaps at some point)

BBD and AA can both play in attacking 3. It would be nice to have someone with Tella's profile on the right. But we do still have Edozie, Sule for the left and SAA pushing for a spot on the right.

Leaves a Stu replacement to be found. We have Dibling pushing through too, and Alcaraz and Aribo here too, with Will supporting any other 2.

Les incoming, to give Charles a loan move, may give us that DM cover we've been needing too.

With MOR and Fraser presumably still ongoing, we're not that far away. There may also be incoming competition for Alex, even if on loan.

We've also got Taylor, Suga to push for first team berths, with Edwards and Woods too.

A lot of decently budgeted business there.

• Like 2