Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.thumb.png.616ea234e3c55c33dc74081880fe7094.png

Wow! Yes please. Big, powerful, athletic and quick. This guy looks just what we need in midfield and could make a huge difference. Loves a tackle and won't get bullied due to his physique. Carries the ball well and looks to relish a battle which he'll get playing for us. Hope we get this over the line because we haven't had this type of player since maybe Wanyama. Get it done Saints. Exciting news at last.

• Like 7

Definitely a risk, but I think every striker we could afford was always going to be. Shown he's had talent before and at least scored a few goals already in the Premier League, now up to us to get him to reach that potential.

Definitely more mobile than Adams, isn't the holding the ball up type and has the ability to run with the ball, which many of our current lot lack. He was a good finisher at Middlesbrough. Has a good celebration also, as it links to his surname. Wonder if Villa will include a buy back in this deal.

Wait days for any reliable rumours and two come in one evening from a great source!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

A hulking centre forward …. Probably more what we need. 

I would like one to give us the chance to mix up our build up play but arguably they wouldn’t be the best fit for our system. 

Presuming we play on the break a bit more this season a yard of pace may not hurt. Off the ball movement is massive for any forward in our set up.

If (giant, whopping, huge IF) Stewart gets fits he offers a bit of a combination of physicality while not exactly being slow. 

5 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

I hate Archers - The Archers and Jeffrey Archer. All deceitful cowards. I've just realised that only applies to Archers and Jeffrey Archer, not The Archers which to be fair are a mixed bag.

Not a fan of Archers peach schnapps personally. Hopefully this one won't leave the same bad aftertaste.

1 minute ago, UpweySaint said:

I would like one to give us the chance to mix up our build up play but arguably they wouldn’t be the best fit for our system. 

Presuming we play on the break a bit more this season a yard of pace may not hurt. Off the ball movement is massive for any forward in our set up.

If (giant, whopping, huge IF) Stewart gets fits he offers a bit of a combination of physicality while not exactly being slow. 

We’re both assuming of course that Tall Paul won’t step up to fill the role. 

• Like 3

Hmm, not sure what to make of the Archer deal. Not the greatest time at Sheff U, but hard to judge many people in that team, they were just dire. 

Did well at Boro and am sure I’ve read he had a decent pre season.

Hopefully not too pricey, thought this might have been a loan but sounds like it’s permanent. Good news is it still leaves a free loan slot, bad news is less money for an O’Riley type.

New GK and attacking midfielder, with these two as well, and i’d probably say i’m pretty happy. That’d be 12 signings, probably 9 of whom could end up being regular starters throughout the season - not sure we could expect much more than that realistically. Whether it’s enough, only time will tell, but i’d be satisfied with the effort. 

Would also hopefully leave room for Dibling in particular, but also Sam Amo, to be involved as we haven’t added too much competition in their positions - particularly in wide areas, where i’d say there is an opportunity to cement a place across the season.

Edited by saintwbu
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Hmm, not sure what to make of the Archer deal. Not the greatest time at Sheff U, but hard to judge many people in that team, they were just dire. 

Did well at Boro and am sure I’ve read he had a decent pre season.

Hopefully not too pricey, thought this might have been a loan but sounds like it’s permanent. Good news is it still leaves a free loan slot, bad news is less money for an O’Riley type.

My Sheffield United supporting mate reckons both Archer and BBD are decent signings for us and were two of their better players last season (not hard I know)

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

Is Archer actually better than AA (when played up the middle)? Not entirely sure. He doesn't have the physical presence to play up top on his own. Not entirely sure he's electric quick either.  

Even if we bring Archer in, we still need another striker. We've let Adams leave and Tall Paul/Mara could be on their way as well.

One to maybe keep an eye on is Ioannidis from Panathinaikos. We were linked earlier in the week and they've just been knocked out of the EL qualifiers so may need to cash in

6 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Even if we bring Archer in, we still need another striker. We've let Adams leave and Tall Paul/Mara could be on their way as well.

One to maybe keep an eye on is Ioannidis from Panathinaikos. We were linked earlier in the week and they've just been knocked out of the EL qualifiers so may need to cash in

French media reporting Strasbourg are in advanced talks with us for Mara

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I love these vague, ‘I know something but I’m not going to give any details’ posts.

Far preferable to the "I know nothing but I'm going to say it anyway" posts

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 14/08/2024 at 21:31, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

So, as things stand the “1 or 2 players before the weekend” feels a little unlikely unless we’re keeping something very under the radar given Russ’s remarks about Fraser and O’Riley today?

What the hell do I know?! Welcome Cameron and the second coming of Big Les… 😂

1 hour ago, Mr Brightside said:

Jeez you’re good!

Right. She’s a northern lass called Lesley, saying to her mate, whose turn it is next, “you go, chuck”, whilst making a “w” sign with her arms and a “u” with the rope. Took me a while, but I got there (stupidly thought you meant Oliver Skipp for a while 🤦‍♂️). 

Careful, he’s a delicate little flower, who likes to give it out in, but not so good in getting it back, think he might be going through a breakdown, so please don’t challenge his COT credentials, he takes that very seriously, just chuck him some smileys to cheer him up, that’s what I do, bless him.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not a fan of Archers peach schnapps personally. Hopefully this one won't leave the same bad aftertaste.

Top 3 archers 

Jofra Archer

Gem Archer 

Robin Hood 

• Haha 1

I thought of Archer as an achievable option and think he’s probably as good as we can expect for our budget on a permanent. I’d imagine if we played Archer, Arma and BBD it could be a very fluid front 3 as all can play wide and central.

Lesley looks like a big, strong and powerful unit that can pass the ball well. Seems like the perfect attributes that we needed to add to our midfield. Ipswich did well to get Phillips but this could be a signing that is equally as important.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Osvaldorama said:

I don’t care if either are any good, I’m just glad we get some rumours again 

It's been a while. Have to admire those that keep the discussion going when nothing is happening though.

1 hour ago, Saint Scott said:

honestly this will be interesting to watch as its make or break for him.

he should play alot i'd guess so hopefully he develops, its chelsea's 2nd club so they have a load of their players there so quality should be high.

not sure who the coach is now viera was sacked (edit its Liam Rosenoir !!!!) but i bet they get someone who wants to play ball.

I can see this Chelsea relationship really benefiting us, we will never compete with them but play a similar style so might get access to players others wouldnt.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Scott said:

Strasbourg are a feeder club for Chelsea.

There could be a link between the deal for Lesley and any deal for Mara.

Not complaining, mind…

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Something to note about Mara, The money brought in is pure profit.

Also the remaining payments out of Saints for his signature sre null in void. 

Because Bordeaux no longer exist.

• Like 2

Feels a bit too good to be true that! 

Mara £10m, Alcaraz £20m and ABK £12m are all good figures for three players who weren’t going to be heavily in RM’s plans. Let’s hope Tall Paul can round that number up to an even £50m, and most importantly that we can reinvest and give ourselves some chance.

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

I hate Archers - The Archers and Jeffrey Archer. All deceitful cowards. I've just realised that only applies to Archers and Jeffrey Archer, not The Archers which to be fair are a mixed bag.

These are good Archers.

emeric_pressburger___michael_powell_by_cornel_lucas__1985_-copy.jpg?w=800&h=593&crop=1

19 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

At the very least Onuachu should be effective for the Wout Wghorst 1-0 down with 15 to play role.

And then when he doesn't win us the game in that 15 minutes he gets slated. 

If he's being integrated he needs to be given proper chances, a run of 5 starts, get players actually playing to his strengths rather than expecting him to play a fast paced dynamic role where he covers the width of the pitch. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Chez said:

Is Archer actually better than AA (when played up the middle)? Not entirely sure. He doesn't have the physical presence to play up top on his own. Not entirely sure he's electric quick either.  

I tend to agree, although he is renowned as a good finisher. Plus his goals in an awful Sheff U team was 4 in 29 games, which compares acceptably to Armstrong's 4 in 53 premier league games. He also has time on his side to improve.

Personally can't wait to resign Frazer and to play the three of them up front, it would be the shortest front 3 in the history of the Premier league. I'm sure McCarthy would still hoof it randomly in their general direction (which would still probably be preferable to him playing it out from the back.....)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Aha!!!

6 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The Chelsea lad sounds encouraging, one of their many children in their vast school of a squad.

Cameron Archer, no idea what to expect, I just hope we don’t pay stupid money.

Agree on both points,  the Ugo bloke offers a physical presence in MF that  we’ve lacked. Wonder if he and Downes will start together rather than one or other, perhaps Downes more advanced. 

Am fearing the fee for Archer if permanent. Shouldn’t be taking another expensive risk on a feint hope that he’ll improve and one day will be worth more. 

7 hours ago, Chez said:

Not quite sure where he fits in. Seems a shame that we have players who are able to get decent crosses in (Sugawara now)  but sign another who probably won’t be able to make them count.

Edited by Badger

6 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Ugochukwu is a really exciting signing, a powerful defensive midfield player. Quality bit of business.

Archer is a good signing too permanently, scores goals and is highly rated.

Yes, all four of them last season.

Before anyone reminds us it was a poor Sheffield Utd, worth remembering BBD managed six in half a season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pat from Poole said:

Strasbourg are a feeder club for Chelsea.

There could be a link between the deal for Lesley and any deal for Mara.

Not complaining, mind…

Chelsea secretly want first dibs on Mara ?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chez said:

Not sure about this one. Absolutely slated on the Sheffield United forum and hated. 

Edited by hypochondriac