Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

8 minutes ago, Badger said:

Don’t think you can lay that blame with the club. Bloke was a complete twat when he was with us and before ( remember the self promotion on video), and his performance in the SF. Absolute bellend. 

He may have matured more recently and Wolves have the benefit of that now. Perhaps there’s a case for better research on discipline/character before signing him. But can’t blame the club for him being a tool whilst here.

I seem to remember , in the black box days , that the player would be judged in all aspects before he was signed , perhaps it was forgotten in subsequent regimes !!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

This should be sent to the club……nearly a quarter of a billion pounds literally wasted and that’s not to mention the salaries. It’s staggering and TBH we’re bloody lucky to be back in the PL with the way we’ve conducted ourselves. I just pray we’ve learned some lessons but I’m not convinced.

It is genuinely scary the lack of sense there was in our scouting,  we are absolutley lucky that we aren't facing financial oblivion on the back of all that.

I guess a bit of the money was offset by the large sales of VVD etc, but a club like Southampton selling a player for £85m should set us up for a really nice sustainable PL future - but that was the sale which sent us packing and on a slow and torturous decline. What a waste of a sale which should have created a bit of a legacy.

Ross Wilson is a disgrace.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Don’t think you can lay that blame with the club. Bloke was a complete twat when he was with us and before ( remember the self promotion on video), and his performance in the SF. Absolute bellend. 

He may have matured more recently and Wolves have the benefit of that now. Perhaps there’s a case for better research on discipline/character before signing him. But can’t blame the club for him being a tool whilst here.

Not really sure I was blaming the club, as you seem to have interpreted. Clearly he wasn't a waste of money, in fact it sounds like he may have been a bargain. But we weren't able to manage him, whether anything more could have been done is open to debate, but clearly he wasn't beyond help. I wasn't very impressed when he was here.and was more than a little surprised to read the Wolves thing today. There are people able to manage these mavericks, clearly we didn't have such people. I'll stand by what I said though, he wasn't a waste of money.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why? He’s done pretty much fuck all since he signed. 

Let me re-phrase it for you…..I’ll be sorry to see him go, unlike shite like Mara, Sulemana and (probably) Tall Paul he did at least show something they never have.

Clarified enough?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why? He’s done pretty much fuck all since he signed. 

He gave us a bit of a hope in what was a pretty miserable PL season, the only player to have really done that.

He has immediately achieved more than Sulemana, Ounachu, ABK, Edozie, Stewart etc. 

He doesn't quite fit with what we're trying to do now, but the fact we'll potentially make a profit on him is a sign that he has been one of our better acquisitions in a long list of duds.

• Like 5

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

Szmodics agrees a deal at Ipswich.

Intrigued to see the fee, but can't really argue with their strategy of best of the Championship signings. 

The one which intrigues me is their loan move for Kalvin Phillips. He looked absolutley finished last season for WHU, didn't seem to be able to play football anymore. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Not really sure I was blaming the club, as you seem to have interpreted. Clearly he wasn't a waste of money, in fact it sounds like he may have been a bargain. But we weren't able to manage him, whether anything more could have been done is open to debate, but clearly he wasn't beyond help. I wasn't very impressed when he was here.and was more than a little surprised to read the Wolves thing today. There are people able to manage these mavericks, clearly we didn't have such people. I'll stand by what I said though, he wasn't a waste of money.

I think in football or in any job, sometimes places work out and sometimes they don’t. Every club has ones which don’t go their way. 

Lemina was a good signing. He has shown himself to be a great premier league player in short spells. We all knew if he had the mindset he could be quality. But the timing was wrong. However, that is actually an example of good scouting. Technically he’s a brilliant footballer. 

It’s all the others on that list that are shocking. Like… what the actual fuck were the scouts looking at? I watched 5 minutes of Guido Carrillo and it was obvious he was atrocious. Same with many of those others. Just never, ever premier league players, let alone top half which is where we were at the time. 

The club are just blind/stupid in certain positions. Bazunu is another example. Ludicrous, ludicrous money. 

Does anyone know anything about the back room recruitment team? Did they all leave with Cortese? 

I sincerely hope we have sacked anyone involved with most of the last few seasons’ scouting and recruited people that actually watch football 

Edited by Osvaldorama
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Okay, I was focusing on your comment that we wasted his talent.I think he did that for himself.  

not many managers would have been able to get into his head to motivate him. Perhaps, Lawrie in his day, might have put a proverbial arm round him to bring the best out of him. But not sure such a manager exists now. 

For what he did for us (what was it, one outstanding game, and one screamer of a goal) I don’t think we had a good return, and the money could have been better spent. But it’s all about opinions. 

9 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Szmodics agrees a deal at Ipswich.

Intrigued to see the fee, but can't really argue with their strategy of best of the Championship signings. 

The only one of their players I’d have liked us to have gone for is Greaves at CB.

Not bothered by the rest of them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

The only one of their players I’d have liked us to have gone for is Greaves at CB.

Not bothered by the rest of them. 

They're all lower league punts or back up players and they may or may not make the difference. Szmodics may be a decent signing but really he's nearly 29 and he only had his best season last year. Greaves was in the Champ TOTY so that's probably a decent punt but the rest? Meh. I'm happier with our business than theirs so far... but we need to finish it off by the end of the month.

Not that anyone cares but If I had to say whose business I think is best so far I'd probably have to begrudgingly say West Ham.

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Harry Reed probably be my guess then. 

Decent back-up but not sure I'll be delighted if it's one of our loan spots used up, when we still need the three starters.

Forgot about the LeG links to him, that's probably the one then.

• Like 1

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

Is he any good?  Got to be honest, never heard of him.

Played for the French national team at every youth level up to U23s so far. Was at the Olympic Games so guess that's why it couldn't progress sooner

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.thumb.png.616ea234e3c55c33dc74081880fe7094.png

Will have played with Sully at Rennes. Can't say I know too much about him.

My father-in-law's opinion: (Chelsea ST holder)

"He's a big unit, can't really say what he's like as he's another sick note from last year, when he did play looked ok on the ball and tried to get forward"

He'll be best buds with Stewart and Lallana then

Edited by Saint Scott

On 10/08/2024 at 17:22, OttawaSaint said:

Might be worth a punt, does JHC play in goal?

Aren't there new rules to how many players a team can send out on loan? Think it was to stop stockpiling but it hasn't stopped Chelsea yet.

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

Cost Chelsea £23m. apparently.

That just shows Premier football and Chelsea in particular live in a parallel universe. The only way we will survive is by enjoying crumbs from the rich man's table. So let's enjoy Lesley Whatshisname and he may even join us, as Flynn did.

Hmmm. Only two loan spots, goalkeeper and striker the priority, but a Downes alternative is/was also very much necessary this summer. Don't know too much about him, shame there isn't a buy option, but if he's a success here he may not want to go back and sit behind the thousands of other Chelsea midfielders and they'll probably sign five more next summer.