Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

I think we must be close to FFP limits. Otherwise why the caution? Suspect things may change once Alcaraz goes to Flammgo and Kotchap goes finally. Then we might be allowed to spend, with the risk of a points deduction or similar dwindling. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

He clearly doesn't fit RM system which is a shame because there is a player in there.

However, at this moment in time I'd swap him for O'Riley if this sale funded it

Sale ABK for £12.8Million, get £21.4/25Million for Charly.

Boost that by £7/8Milliln for Tall Paul and that's a cool 40/45Million to utilise.

Gets us Ramsdale on loan, O'Riley and a Striker. Possibly a winger too.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

They sold Caicedo and McCallister last summer, Cucurella left two years ago. They seemed to do alright without them all last season. The fact that they are going to have "a Puel season" would mean they sell their three best players from last season, replace them with crap, lose their best centre back for half a season yet still finish 8th and reach a cup final. I'm sure like every club of their and our size they'll regress but I'd say a "Puel season" would be postive for them.

I don’t refer to Puel season as a negative, i’m saying that’s where they are if you parallel them with us - Adkins, Poch, Koeman has been very similar to Hughton, Potter, De Zerbi. If this new manager isn’t as good as De Zerbi, and the football not as exciting, will their fans get restless and the club take a punt on a really, really shit Argentinian manager who did an alright job with a small Spanish club? We’ll see. Without wanting to re-open the Puel debate all over again, he did an alright job, it just wasn’t that exciting - what followed was a hell of a lot worse and we’re still paying the price for those couple of summers now. Clubs the size of us can’t afford to make many mistakes - history suggests Brighton will be due some, we’ll see how well they handle them.

7 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I don’t refer to Puel season as a negative, i’m saying that’s where they are if you parallel them with us - Adkins, Poch, Koeman has been very similar to Hughton, Potter, De Zerbi. If this new manager isn’t as good as De Zerbi, and the football not as exciting, will their fans get restless and the club take a punt on a really, really shit Argentinian manager who did an alright job with a small Spanish club? We’ll see. Without wanting to re-open the Puel debate all over again, he did an alright job, it just wasn’t that exciting - what followed was a hell of a lot worse and we’re still paying the price for those couple of summers now. Clubs the size of us can’t afford to make many mistakes - history suggests Brighton will be due some, we’ll see how well they handle them.

Based on what i've heard of Fabian Hurzeler the chances of the football being less exciting are pretty slim, it'll be also nerve-wracking for both fans. 

14 minutes ago, DT said:

I think we must be close to FFP limits. Otherwise why the caution? Suspect things may change once Alcaraz goes to Flammgo and Kotchap goes finally. Then we might be allowed to spend, with the risk of a points deduction or similar dwindling. 

There is an interesting article on Southampton FC News on Newsnow. Explains that we are fine to spend especially if the owners put money in. As it stands we have plenty of leeway.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Boost that by £7/8Milliln for Tall Paul and that's a cool 40/45Million to utilise.

I will be very disappointed to see Tall Paul go, especially for 7-8 million. We wont get much of a forward for that money and TP will add a bit to our game especially for a plan b/C option. He may well earn us points that could be our saviour. RM is not stupid and hopefully he will accept that having a different option that opposition defenders dont like. He maybe the perfect foil for AA or BBD. Having been brought up in the days of Toshack and Keegan and how effective that was perhaps Im misjudging modern football 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

Bournemouth about to drop 47m on Solankes replacement. Evanilson from Porto

This just shows how far we have fallen as a club. I know they've just got a massive fee for Solanke, but if you said ten or twelve years ago that Bournemouth's record fee for a transfer would be nearly double ours, I would have not been able to stop laughing. It's embarrassing. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, derry said:

There is an interesting article on Southampton FC News on Newsnow. Explains that we are fine to spend especially if the owners put money in. As it stands we have plenty of leeway.

We need to get players out, Wages are also a issue.

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

This just shows how far we have fallen as a club. I know they've just got a massive fee for Solanke, but if you said ten or twelve years ago that Bournemouth's record fee for a transfer would be nearly double ours, I would have not been able to stop laughing. It's embarrassing. 

We could well have done the same with the VVD money if we had half decent owners.

• Like 2

Just now, sfc4prem said:

We could well have done the same with the VVD money if we had half decent owners.

I think you're forgetting just how hard it was to close the deal for goal every other game striker Guido Carillo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I think you're forgetting just how hard it was to close the deal for goal every other game striker Guido Carillo.

Les was buzzing about that one, from memory?

37 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

That don't seem right to me.  Their transfer record is 17.5M euros.  I can see him going there but not for anywhere near that kind of money.

I was going to post exactly the same. There is no money in Brazilian football. They are not spending £25m on him. 

17 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I like Alcarez - think he’s got further improvement but obviously not really an RM type player, so getting the money to make MOR happen is a big positive, if indeed Celtic will sell.

RM will get the best from him and he will be in our squad as an impact sub, on at 60 mins. Could even challenge seriously for Smallbone's position.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, DT said:

We are in a new FFP financial year, so in theory we can actually spend a fair chunk right now, but obviously we would need to balance that spending with income by the end of June 2025. So we could spend a bit and hope to sell in January and June, but risky. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I will be very disappointed to see Tall Paul go, especially for 7-8 million. We wont get much of a forward for that money and TP will add a bit to our game especially for a plan b/C option. He may well earn us points that could be our saviour. RM is not stupid and hopefully he will accept that having a different option that opposition defenders dont like. He maybe the perfect foil for AA or BBD. Having been brought up in the days of Toshack and Keegan and how effective that was perhaps Im misjudging modern football 

We want £10m for Onuachu. Not sure that extra £2-3m sways you in favour of selling?

Flamengo will be looking at another Juventus scam. A £25m suck in bit a loan with an option to buy to get the player for a year. We should be £25m up front and he's yours. 

We shouldn't have any more of the loan option scam.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chez said:

We are in a new FFP financial year, so in theory we can actually spend a fair chunk right now, but obviously we would need to balance that spending with income by the end of June 2025. So we could spend a bit and hope to sell in January and June, but risky. 

I think it’s fair to say we expected to have cashed in on Tall Paul, KWP and ABK by now, and probably would have hoped to have moved on Alcaraz, Sulemana and possibly Mara and even Bednarek by now. Aside from the actual fees, that’s also a lot of wages.

As somebody stated above, wages are also an issue. Probably why even Fraser isn’t in the building yet (Howe/Fraser stand-off notwithstanding).

All the noises are about being patient and expecting to do more business - the delays in moving on our unwanted looks like it’s clearly the reason. Frustrating but that’s what happens when you spaff millions on dross (or in Alcaraz’s case people who don’t fit the style).

And let’s be clear, sitting here basically 24 hours before the 1st game of the new season kicks off without a keeper or striker of anything like the required standard is sh1t. It’s going to be tough enough to have a hope this season.

Unfortunately there isn’t a lot any of us can do but try and be patient and understanding.

And no matter how tough this season gets, at least it feels like we have a squad of people pulling together and likely to show some fight unlike our last season in this league. Even if we’re sh1t it’ll be far less depressing than the 22/23 sh1t show was. 
Glass half full as always 😆

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I think it’s fair to say we expected to have cashed in on Tall Paul, KWP and ABK by now, and probably would have hoped to have moved on Alcaraz, Sulemana and possibly Mara and even Bednarek by now. Aside from the actual fees, that’s also a lot of wages.

As somebody stated above, wages are also an issue. Probably why even Fraser isn’t in the building yet (Howe/Fraser stand-off notwithstanding).

All the noises are about being patient and expecting to do more business - the delays in moving on our unwanted looks like it’s clearly the reason. Frustrating but that’s what happens when you spaff millions on dross (or in Alcaraz’s case people who don’t fit the style).

And let’s be clear, sitting here basically 24 hours before the 1st game of the new season kicks off without a keeper or striker of anything like the required standard is sh1t. It’s going to be tough enough to have a hope this season.

Unfortunately there isn’t a lot any of us can do but try and be patient and understanding.

And no matter how tough this season gets, at least it feels like we have a squad of people pulling together and likely to show some fight unlike our last season in this league. Even if we’re sh1t it’ll be far less depressing than the 22/23 sh1t show was. 
Glass half full as always 😆

I think now is probably a good time to look at what we have got and put to one side (at least until Sunday) what we don't have.

BBD and Armstrong up front were both scoring goals in the second half of last season. McCarthy has played here before. He's not good, but he's not Ian Andrews either. We have got the midfield trio that finished the season well back together and Sugarawa and KWP is better than Manning and KWP. Let's attack the game with confidence, want the ball, be brave and see where it takes us...

...and if we get smashed, let's get those loans in that can make a difference in some of the `easier' games. Newcastle will push for top four. Losing to them wont make or break our season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, St Louis said:

Even a contract with an existing player is difficult. A friend of mine is the father of a Bournemouth player, and his son has been negotiating his contract with them for nearly a year now. He tells me bits and pieces, mainly how unbelievably complex these things are, how many people are involved and how many moving parts there are, and thats a player they already have the ear of and full focus of (he wants to stay, shouldn't be complicated etc).
Can you imagine that with a player you've only just shown interest in and are trying to buy. On top of the player contract BS, you'd also have the negotiations with the club too, as well as competition from other clubs, FFP, PSR, etc... all offering different challenges to the buying club, the selling club and the player.
We will have been working for weeks/months to secure our targets, some you get and some you miss out on. As the team tipped to finish bottom of the league (and the 3rd best team promoted from The Championship in theory) it makes it even harder for us when other clubs are sniffing around.
Martin said himself at the Fans Forum this week that they had a recruitment meeting that day and that we have loads of plates spinning in the transfer market (https://youtu.be/sJgXGV08tXo?si=QXNswgACGT-VgTiD&t=3265), I just dont believe the narrative here and on social that they arent trying to buy players or are being tight... we are trying I'm sure as we want to stay up (but its hard) and we dont have the finances to pay what we might need to for certain players.
I love playing a bit of Football Manager myself, and I wish it was that easy for the real Saints to just go and buy players and pick up out of contact players on huge wages. I'm not trying to be clever or condescending, but it's really not simple.

Interesting post.  I suppose it’s easier to get deals over the line if you over-pay.  Unfortunately, we can’t do that as we’re not owned by a country.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Leicester did 'kick on' quite significantly in that they won the Premier League and got to the quarter finals of the Champions League, to be fair

I'd argue that Leicester did actually fall foul to the same problems we face - poor scouting and recruitment over a few transfer windows.

They won the PL without building towards it, let's be fair. That was a crazy footballing moment. After that they managed to sustain it for a little while, but then they started signing dudds like Soumare, Vestergaard, Faes, Praat, Castange, Daka etc - those couple of windows stunted their progress and relegated them, pretty much the same as us.

We got Top 6 without building towards it, we just got fortunate with a lot of good scouting. We sustained it the second season because of similar scouting, but then we screwed up window after window and it led to our relegation inevitably, and even now we are constrained by the amounts we've spent on dudds - same as Leicester, which is why they're under investigation for all sorts.

Brighton will likely fall foul to the same, so will Brentford. It's hard to sustain for clubs like us because the big teams don't just come after your players, they also dismantle the entire setup which scouted them in the first place. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, derry said:

As you say it depends on whether Dragan is willing to fund transfers. Having had his fingers badly burned and being aware of how badly those at the clubs conduct transfers I suspect he'd prefer to keep his hard earned jn his pocket and who could blame him.

In order to understand where Southampton stand with their finances ahead of the August 30 transfer deadline, Southampton FC News spoke to finance expert Adam Williams.

First, Williams explained how PSR works, as well as the impact of a year in the Championship, as he said: “Premier League clubs are allowed to lose a maximum of £105 million over a rolling three-year period, as long as the bulk of those losses are secured by an owner.

“Southampton, however, have spent one of the last three seasons in the Championship, so their maximum allowable loss is lower at £83 million.

“The club posted a pre-tax loss of £87 million in 2022/23, which is the only year of published accounts that is relevant in the current three-year monitoring period.

“In isolation, that would put them already over the £83 million threshold, but you then have to add back PSR-deductible expenses such as youth and infrastructure investment.”

A complex issue, Williams then went on to set out what this means for Southampton, explaining: “The Saints have a Category One academy, so you can assume £10-20 million of deductible expenses there.

“Take off another £4-5 million for community initiatives and women’s football and you’re at around minus £60m.

“For the 2023/24 season, Southampton made massive profit on player sales which they were able to book immediately.

“I suspect they will have recorded a modest profit for the campaign, which probably gives them a fair bit of breathing space in terms of the £83 million loss limit.

“In terms of their net spend based on headline figures we have seen, Southampton’s negative £45 million is actually one of the higher figures in the division.

“Eight clubs have a positive net spend, and I think that illustrates that there has been a lack of liquidity in the market as a result of the absence of massive Saudi spending and the issues with the French TV deal.

“And while those figures aren’t the ones that count to PSR – it is amortisation that does – Southampton’s net does give an indication of the room they have to spend.

“Their PSR headroom will be extended if Armel Bella-Kotchap is sold, which would go immediately towards their PSR calculation.

“So I think they have the freedom to spend without player sales if the owners are willing to put the funds in. Whether they do or not is another matter.”

Exactly where Southampton stand with PSR as Russell Martin eyes additions before deadline day (southamptonfc.news)

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Weston Saint said:

In order to understand where Southampton stand with their finances ahead of the August 30 transfer deadline, Southampton FC News spoke to finance expert Adam Williams.

First, Williams explained how PSR works, as well as the impact of a year in the Championship, as he said: “Premier League clubs are allowed to lose a maximum of £105 million over a rolling three-year period, as long as the bulk of those losses are secured by an owner.

“Southampton, however, have spent one of the last three seasons in the Championship, so their maximum allowable loss is lower at £83 million.

“The club posted a pre-tax loss of £87 million in 2022/23, which is the only year of published accounts that is relevant in the current three-year monitoring period.

“In isolation, that would put them already over the £83 million threshold, but you then have to add back PSR-deductible expenses such as youth and infrastructure investment.”

A complex issue, Williams then went on to set out what this means for Southampton, explaining: “The Saints have a Category One academy, so you can assume £10-20 million of deductible expenses there.

“Take off another £4-5 million for community initiatives and women’s football and you’re at around minus £60m.

“For the 2023/24 season, Southampton made massive profit on player sales which they were able to book immediately.

“I suspect they will have recorded a modest profit for the campaign, which probably gives them a fair bit of breathing space in terms of the £83 million loss limit.

“In terms of their net spend based on headline figures we have seen, Southampton’s negative £45 million is actually one of the higher figures in the division.

“Eight clubs have a positive net spend, and I think that illustrates that there has been a lack of liquidity in the market as a result of the absence of massive Saudi spending and the issues with the French TV deal.

“And while those figures aren’t the ones that count to PSR – it is amortisation that does – Southampton’s net does give an indication of the room they have to spend.

“Their PSR headroom will be extended if Armel Bella-Kotchap is sold, which would go immediately towards their PSR calculation.

“So I think they have the freedom to spend without player sales if the owners are willing to put the funds in. Whether they do or not is another matter.”

Exactly where Southampton stand with PSR as Russell Martin eyes additions before deadline day (southamptonfc.news)

Just what i wanted to know, think I understand it but how complicated the Beautiful Game has become at top level.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saintant said:

As you say it depends on whether Dragan is willing to fund transfers. Having had his fingers badly burned and being aware of how badly those at the clubs conduct transfers I suspect he'd prefer to keep his hard earned jn his pocket and who could blame him.

Surely you want to gauge our competitiveness against Newcastle and Forest before deciding where expenditure needs to be.?

Spending now seems pointless.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I don't think PSR works that way.  Tall Paul we brought for about £18m and he is 1.5 years into a 3.5 year contract. So his book value is around £10m.

Hence if we sell him for £7/8m he will be a loss of £2/3m in PSR terms which reduces our ability to sign other players.

For ABK I think he is half way through his contract and he cost about £9m so his book value is around £4.5m Hence c. £8m profit on him.

Charly is 1.5 years into a 4.5 year contract (not sure how extensions apply) so his book value is c. £8m. So maybe £13m profit.

Add these up and you get £19m ish profit and that's before we have to pay sell on clauses which will reduce these amounts say to £15m.

The good news is transfers in work differently and you spread the cost over the contract so if everyone we sign was a four year contract then the £15m is worth £60m in transfer fees.

Back to bad news. This won't be additional spend, if you look at our PSR numbers then some of this is offsetting what we have already spent.

Conclusion is that PSR makes it impossible for fans to have any idea on a clubs financial position !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

Lamina, Carillo, Orsic, Kamaldeen, Tall Paul, ABK to name but a few but so much money wasted very recently. No wonder we cant compete!

This is our biggest problem in a nutshell. Millions wasted on garbage. Our Recruitment Team should be given their P45s

• Like 5

6 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

Lamina,  to name but a few but so much money wasted very recently. No wonder we cant compete!

The new captain of Wolves. Not so much we wasted money on him, but we wasted his talent.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

How anyone rates Alcaraz is beyond me. He had a decent 2-3 months when he first joined, average in the championship, totally appalling at Juve.

Think this is very harsh personally.

He was really impressive at the end of the PL season in a new country at 19, and now simply doesn't fit in the new managers system. That does not make him a bad player.

I think we should cash in if the £20m rumour is true, purely due to the fact that he isn't part of RM's plans and we could sign somebody who is (i.e. O'Riley) with the money which would make us better.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Alcaraz go on to be a very good player though, due to what he showed in that short spell in a woeful football team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Surely you want to gauge our competitiveness against Newcastle and Forest before deciding where expenditure needs to be.?

Spending now seems pointless.

I think it's a safe bet right now that if we had a Ramsdale-shaped goalkeeper in we'd be a lot better off.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

How anyone rates Alcaraz is beyond me. He had a decent 2-3 months when he first joined, average in the championship, totally appalling at Juve.

Probably because the other options are Sulemana, Edozie and some youngsters. We're very light creatively in an attacking sense. Alcaraz is still young and will improve but if we get what we want for him then great. We need players that can contribute regularly and are ready now, not in a few years.

7 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

Lamina, Carillo, Orsic, Kamaldeen, Tall Paul, ABK to name but a few but so much money wasted very recently. No wonder we cant compete!

I’ll name a few more that were either paid off, given away or contracts run down - Boufal, Djenepo, Ely, Vestergaard, Hoedt (£17m - the club’s drinking culture really had got out of control at that point or someone was on the fiddle. He wasn’t worth £1.7m), Bazanu, Gunn, Alcaraz is borderline. Stewart was literally burning £11m away (with the play off win payment to Sunderland) and jury out on Charles, one of the most expensive Champ players ever at £15m.

My second list comes in at around a total of £150m just in fees, your first list I make £90m. So £240m just in fees and how many genuinely PL players have you got there? Lemina when he could be bothered and sorted his head out at Wolves. And I’m struggling after that…Charly on a good day. Jury out on Charles but the manager doesn’t seem to think that much. 

Bazanu and Gunn - that’s one first choice international keeper with a decent nation (not RoI or Scotland) for £30m instead. Simple. Just one that claims crosses and saves mostly where they should. Instead, the club spent the same sum on two of the worst Championship keepers in recent memory boosting the wealthiest club in the world. The club was in the PL when it signed both. You don’t have to be Paul Mitchell to know that’s moronic. And that’s without Alex’s and Fraser’s mental contract extensions. 

Between us we’ve listed 16 players. Too much volume, no quality and a total absence of strategy eg key attributes for certain positions and in relation to systems/playing style, almost all of which the above list of shame lack. 

At least the club are signing some decent pros this summer even if the past mistakes of a Lidl transfer approach are weighing us down.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 5

🚨 Due to Southampton’s requests, negotiations with Flamengo for Charly Alcaraz are currently at an impasse — the Brazilian side are looking at other options #saintsfc @geglobo
🚨 After requesting €18m from Flamengo for Charly Alcaraz, Southampton have now asked for a deal to include their players Iago (19, RB) or Vitor Hugo (20, CM) — or a payment of €25m #saintsfc @geglobo

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We’re just reaping the legacy of Reed, Wilson, Semmens, and the Rasmus/SR January 2023 debacle. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

This is our biggest problem in a nutshell. Millions wasted on garbage. Our Recruitment Team should be given their P45s

That for me is where the problem has been for too long. Incredible level of muppetry. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

The new captain of Wolves. Not so much we wasted money on him, but we wasted his talent.

Don’t think you can lay that blame with the club. Bloke was a complete twat when he was with us and before ( remember the self promotion on video), and his performance in the SF. Absolute bellend. 

He may have matured more recently and Wolves have the benefit of that now. Perhaps there’s a case for better research on discipline/character before signing him. But can’t blame the club for him being a tool whilst here.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Due to Southampton’s requests, negotiations with Flamengo for Charly Alcaraz are currently at an impasse — the Brazilian side are looking at other options #saintsfc @geglobo
🚨 After requesting €18m from Flamengo for Charly Alcaraz, Southampton have now asked for a deal to include their players Iago (19, RB) or Vitor Hugo (20, CM) — or a payment of €25m #saintsfc @geglobo

Ankerson eyeing more players for the Turkish leeches 

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

He has just admitted he was off the rails and he has now settled after his father recently died . Not much the club could do with him until he sorted himself out.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

I’ll name a few more that were either paid off, given away or contracts run down - Boufal, Djenepo, Ely, Vestergaard, Hoedt (£17m - the club’s drinking culture really had got out of control at that point or someone was on the fiddle. He wasn’t worth £1.7m), Bazanu, Gunn, Alcaraz is borderline. Stewart was literally burning £11m away (with the play off win payment to Sunderland) and jury out on Charles, one of the most expensive Champ players ever at £15m.

My second list comes in at around a total of £150m just in fees, your first list I make £90m. So £240m just in fees and how many genuinely PL players have you got there? Lemina when he could be bothered and sorted his head out at Wolves. And I’m struggling after that…Charly on a good day. Jury out on Charles but the manager doesn’t seem to think that much. 

Bazanu and Gunn - that’s one first choice international keeper with a decent nation (not RoI or Scotland) for £30m instead. Simple. Just one that claims crosses and saves mostly where they should. You don’t have to be Paul Mitchell to know that. And that’s without Alex’s and Fraser’s mental contract extensions. 

Between us we’ve listed 16 players. Too much volume, no quality and a total absence of strategy.

At least the club are signing some decent pros this summer even if the past mistakes of a Lidl transfer approach are weighing us down.

This should be sent to the club……nearly a quarter of a billion pounds literally wasted and that’s not to mention the salaries. It’s staggering and TBH we’re bloody lucky to be back in the PL with the way we’ve conducted ourselves. I just pray we’ve learned some lessons but I’m not convinced.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Anderson eyeing more players for the Turkish leeches 

At 19 and 20 you’d hope these are young prospects who might make it to Saints. The two we’ve signed though sound fairly mediocre squad fillers at 23/4 and doubtful to make the grade in the EPL. 

• Like 2