Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 minute ago, Chez said:

with limited CF options for Saturday, it makes sense to ensure he has a squad number (I presume you need to be registered as a squad player- with a number - to play). Very little point giving ABK one if he is in Germany and presumably won't get a game even if the deal falls through. 

Interestingly TP's player profile has been removed from the website entirely. You just get a 404 error now.

23 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

I'm sorry, but Gross was not Brightons best player. At least not in the last couple of seasons as he is now 33.

He was used as a utility player last season filling voids when needed

Erm, he played 36/38 games in the league, 4 of which were at fullback but 32 were in midfield. He played every minute of their 8 Europa League games on top of that, and he captains them in Lewis Dunk’s absence. He got his first caps for Germany and made their Euro’s squad, getting himself a move to Borussia Dortmund. Not sure which Groß you were watching, but it’s not the Brighton one. 

He also won their player of the season..

Edited by saintwbu
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

This is their Puel season, third manager since promotion after two successful improvements. One day the progress will end, all these same gushing statements were said of us once upon a time, Swansea before us and Leicester after us. 

Leicester did 'kick on' quite significantly in that they won the Premier League and got to the quarter finals of the Champions League, to be fair

• Like 1

Our recruitment has been poor. £10m on Charles and similar on Stewart last year. That’s a lot of money in the championship on two players who have contributed hardly anything. We can’t keep signing injury prone or untested youngsters. 
Signing young players is fine but not for 10m!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Leicester did 'kick on' quite significantly in that they won the Premier League and got to the quarter finals of the Champions League, to be fair

It was winning the Premier League that made them enviable, no one lauded them as a recruitment success story prior to it. They then followed it up by making some shrewd moves in the transfer market (Maguire, Tielemans, Maddison) where they became the club to emulate. But like everyone, eventually they started to get it wrong (not selling at the right time, signing the likes of Musa, Daka, Iheanacho over the years) and got relegated. 

1 minute ago, saintwbu said:

It was winning the Premier League that made them enviable, no one lauded them as a recruitment success story prior to it. They then followed it up by making some shrewd moves in the transfer market (Maguire, Tielemans, Maddison) where they became the club to emulate. But like everyone, eventually they started to get it wrong (not selling at the right time, signing the likes of Musa, Daka, Iheanacho over the years) and got relegated. 

Who chose them over us. We were negotiating personal terms if memory serves.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

I know they've just cashed in on Solanke, but it didnt take long for Bournemouth to identify a replacement and bring them in. Whereas we're making no noise at all in signing a striker

Real world football doesnt work like this. I knew 6 months ago that Solanke was 99% going to Spurs this summer (through contacts at AFCB), so Bournemouth would have had plenty of options lined up and ready. Players and their agents get spoken to months before an offer gets put in, just to gauge interest, affordability, etc and we all get to hear about it as its about to happen.
Do you honestly think Saints havent been looking for and sounding out strikers for months now, knowing Adams was probably leaving and Stewart probably not fit!? Its not simple to just point out a player you want and just get it over the line, its so complex.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, saints-til-i-die said:

Our recruitment has been poor. £10m on Charles and similar on Stewart last year. That’s a lot of money in the championship on two players who have contributed hardly anything. We can’t keep signing injury prone or untested youngsters. 

That sounds like a rant that got delayed for a year!

I actually think most of our recruitment has been quite good this summer - sure we haven't done enough... yet, but what we have done appears to be good. Bringing in Downes who was so key to us last year was vital, Sugawara comes with a good reputation as does Edwards, BBD will give us something and Lallana and Taylor offer us experience. Only time will tell but I don't think the business has been bad this summer - we just need to finish it off with the last 3 or so pieces of the jigsaw to build a team that can survive.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Fabio Silva not been mentioned but cost £40M originally in 2020. He has been loaned out multiple times to Holland & latterly at Rangers but now back at Wolves. Left sided CF type. C. £11m apparently but possibly a loaner also. 

Wolves wanted Che Adams leading the line this season over him (and he was already their player!), says it all really.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

That sounds like a rant that got delayed for a year!

I actually think most of our recruitment has been quite good this summer - sure we haven't done enough... yet, but what we have done appears to be good. Bringing in Downes who was so key to us last year was vital, Sugawara comes with a good reputation as does Edwards, BBD will give us something and Lallana and Taylor offer us experience. Only time will tell but I don't think the business has been bad this summer - we just need to finish it off with the last 3 or so pieces of the jigsaw to build a team that can survive.

I'm with you. Not a fan of the Lallana signing, but no complaints about the others. it was great to get Downes done early. We could easily be sat here still wondering if that deal would ever happen. Will Taylor, Wood and Edwards be any worse than Lyanco, ABK and Caleta-Car? I don't know anything about Taylor, but wonder if he offers anything going forward. If we play five at the back, his signing might look a little redundant. 

I wonder if the cub have been taken aback at just how expensive young talent from the championship (and I include players loaned there like Carvalho in that) are costing. £27m+ for Carvahlo, £25m for Asprilla, £20m Sheaf, £25m for Clarke, £25m for Delap...etc. Huge numbers.    

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, saints-til-i-die said:

Shea Charles played 32 times for Saints in the Championship last season, and has shown great potential for a 19 year old in his breakout season. 

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Cameron Puertas

Our good friend Sacha Tavolieri has said that an agreement with a Prem club is imminent. His underlying numbers are absolutely ridiculous, never heard of him mind.

RM just saying in the presser we've done nowhere near as much as we'd have liked, to nobodies surprise.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, saints-til-i-die said:

Just now, Dellyears said:

My opinion; Charles will contribute a lot, his time with us will be profitable for both parties and he will have a good career.
He's been written off far too early. Success isn't instant in any walk of life

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

I wonder if the cub have been taken aback at just how expensive young talent from the championship (and I include players loaned there like Carvalho in that) are costing. £27m+ for Carvahlo, £25m for Asprilla, £20m Sheaf, £25m for Clarke, £25m for Delap...etc. Huge numbers.  

In the not-too-distant past, clubs being willing to pay those sort of fees for young players generally without PL experience would have been a massive plus for us, rather than a negative, because it would have been our youth academy products who were being bought for silly money, helping us to stay financially competitive.

Poor recruitment has hurt us badly on the buying side, but on the selling side you could argue that the way our academy has dried up in terms of no longer producing great young players who get snapped up for big fees has hurt us equally badly.

We've gone from being strong at both recruitment and development and being able to 'win' twice, to being poor at both and 'losing' twice. Hopefully Dibling and/ or SAA will help address that negative trend this season. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

I'm not familiar with his game, but can't see RM sacrificing touch and passing for 'legs'. If the players offers both, then we would have a winner in my eyes.

If you don't add players like Skipp to your midfield you get bullied out of games and are weak - we need someone like him to play alongside Downes. We have too many lightweights who get brushed off the ball and rarely win it back. 

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, saints-til-i-die said:

Mara, Stewart, Onocochu, Sully = £60m wasted on players who haven’t done much

You can also add to that £15m a piece on Adams and Armstrong who both delivered in the championship and did little on the premier league . £90m plus wages on 6 players

centee back posting going back over the years

Hoedt, Vestergaard, Salisu, Bella-Kotchap, Celta-Carr, Similar amounts spent trying to find the new Van Dijk all of them shite to varying levels 

best part of £200m spent plus wages trying to be clever when we could have spent £120-£140m on 4 quality players in those positions. I dare say we’d have saved significantly on wages too. 4 players on £120k a week each of 12 on £60k a week each?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

My opinion; Charles will contribute a lot, his time with us will be profitable for both parties and he will have a good career.
He's been written off far too early. Success isn't instant in any walk of life

There’s optimism and then there’s this. Fair play. 

• Like 1

Can you shed any light on Armel Bella-Kotchap. We know he's been over in Hoffenheim but there's some slightly scary stories about him...

RM: Yes, he is in Hoffenheim and it's progressing. With Armel, I think because it mention the heart it probably seems like a scarier story than it actually is. He's had a really standard procedure on it so Hoffenheim want to investigate and do more tests, of course. It's never caused him a problem, we've all been aware of it for quite some time and I expect and I hope, for Armel, that it will all still happen. As I said, it's progressing. Armel is fine, completely fine and I think this is a really good deal for all parties. So hopefully for him and for us and for Hoffenheim it all goes through. And if it doesn't, then we'll get him back here and reassess.

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

Can you shed any light on Armel Bella-Kotchap. We know he's been over in Hoffenheim but there's some slightly scary stories about him...

RM: Yes, he is in Hoffenheim and it's progressing. With Armel, I think because it mention the heart it probably seems like a scarier story than it actually is. He's had a really standard procedure on it so Hoffenheim want to investigate and do more tests, of course. It's never caused him a problem, we've all been aware of it for quite some time and I expect and I hope, for Armel, that it will all still happen. As I said, it's progressing. Armel is fine, completely fine and I think this is a really good deal for all parties. So hopefully for him and for us and for Hoffenheim it all goes through. And if it doesn't, then we'll get him back here and reassess.

You can't spell reassess without ARSE. Which is what it will be if the deal falls through. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Lamina, Carillo, Orsic, Kamaldeen, Tall Paul, ABK to name but a few but so much money wasted very recently. No wonder we cant compete!

In my opinion regarding players losing their value a lot of it also seems to come down to manager stability also ..abk and Alcaraz both looked red hot prospects under differant managers .. the likes of Carrillo and tall pall both signed  just before changing managers and then both ended up outcast .. 

A lot of times Our bigger money signings tend to lose their place in the team to cheaper signings or loans .. which obviously decreases their value 

only the players getting regular minutes really hold their value for us .. sometimes it’s not about ability and someone like Martin prefers a jack Stephens to abk or smallbone over a Alcaraz it can be horses for courses 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Tom & Gerry said:

We may have been the 4th best over the course of the season  but by the end of the season we weren't 4th best. How many times would we have had to beat Leeds to convince you of that?

To improve players need to improve not necessarily be changed. Just like runners or swimmers they do improve and we have a number with the scope to do so.

Big money signings have never really worked for us so I am excited to see who we will undoubtedly bring in before the end of the window. 

what were we then 5th or 6th best?

Just because we beat Leeds last game of the season hardly makes us PL. We lost to Stoke the week before I think you will find, so then we may have been 15th best side.

Point is we went up by winning the play off competition and were brilliant doing so, it doesnt paint over the fact that our squad was not PL standard and time will see how we get on. It was heartening that RM did seem to change his tactics and adapted well.

Im not certain how we will fare, but fully aware we may have a miserable year, but also we may surprise a few people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Our good friend Sacha Tavolieri has said that an agreement with a Prem club is imminent. His underlying numbers are absolutely ridiculous, never heard of him mind.

RM just saying in the presser we've done nowhere near as much as we'd have liked, to nobodies surprise.

Hope it's not us. Would be underwhelmed if we sign him.

RM made it very clear in that press conference that the amount of business we do will be dictated by outgoings.

Seeing as he seems keen for KWP to stay despite only having a year left then thats ABK, Paul and Alcaraz.

If ABK move falls through it will have a very unwanted impact - especially as CB is the one area we are stacked. Imagine he would go out on loan if the Hoffenheim move doesn't happen. 

I'm sure they are trying to renegotiate a loan with option at the moment!

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

RM made it very clear in that press conference that the amount of business we do will be dictated by outgoings.

Seeing as he seems keen for KWP to stay despite only having a year left then thats ABK, Paul and Alcaraz.

If ABK move falls through it will have a very unwanted impact - especially as CB is the one area we are stacked. Imagine he would go out on loan if the Hoffenheim move doesn't happen. 

I'm sure they are trying to renegotiate a loan with option at the moment!

Have you considered a left field sale like Edozie or Charles? Or Mara? 

Edited by hypochondriac

32 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

In the not-too-distant past, clubs being willing to pay those sort of fees for young players generally without PL experience would have been a massive plus for us, rather than a negative, because it would have been our youth academy products who were being bought for silly money, helping us to stay financially competitive.

Poor recruitment has hurt us badly on the buying side, but on the selling side you could argue that the way our academy has dried up in terms of no longer producing great young players who get snapped up for big fees has hurt us equally badly.

We've gone from being strong at both recruitment and development and being able to 'win' twice, to being poor at both and 'losing' twice. Hopefully Dibling and/ or SAA will help address that negative trend this season. 

We aren't poor at development. SR just don't know how to use the academy / don't care. We've lost nearly all our top talent (for peanuts) because we didn't want to pay them a bit more per week or give them minutes... and then we've also gone and spunked tens of millions on other players (that don't care about the club and who haven't kicked on), not to mention their far higher wages than academy kids. Fortunately dibling came back (although I am still none the wiser as to what happened there). 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

Remember this time last season, we missed out on Piroe who was going to fire Leeds to the PL at our expense? Didnt happen and whilst we have missed out on players, it doesnt mean they will set the league alight.

I still wonder if Souza from Sheff Utd would be a good signing. I think he won more tackles and interceptions playing for a poor team

48 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

This is where paying JJ Morgan and Alejandro Rodrigeuz huge sums of money to stay at the club comes into play. Make that investment and it's possibly us that has a £30m talent on our hands. No guarantees, but let talent like that go and you are never going to have a £30m nipper on your hands. Unfortunately, the likes of Chelsea are just swallowing up every single top youngster out there as they have the funds to pay them. We don't. The rich just get richer these days.    

15 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Remember this time last season, we missed out on Piroe who was going to fire Leeds to the PL at our expense? Didnt happen and whilst we have missed out on players, it doesnt mean they will set the league alight.

I still wonder if Souza from Sheff Utd would be a good signing. I think he won more tackles and interceptions playing for a poor team

Failing to get Piroe seemed to be the end of the world last summer.  It wasn't. Not especially concerned about failing to get MOR this time around, so long as we bring in someone that enhances our attack almost immediately. Far from easy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Caicedo? Mac Allister? Cucurella? They’ve just lost probably their best player in Grosß, and i’m sure Dunk (their captain) would go if he was in demand by anyone. Mitoma is back from injury so if he’s anything like he was 18 months ago he’ll be off come end of the season. We’ll find out if their replacements this summer are any good, but they’re already trying to shift Gilmour and Dahoud who they only signed in the last season or two. Evan Ferguson the next £100mil striker that everyone thought was the next coming of Alan Shearer has not scored a goal for almost a calendar year. They came 11th last year and amassed the same points as Everton, had they not had 8 deducted. They’ve had a great few years, but it’s been done before, and i’m sure one day they’ll be looking at someone else who are the supposed best run club in the country.

They sold Caicedo and McCallister last summer, Cucurella left two years ago. They seemed to do alright without them all last season. The fact that they are going to have "a Puel season" would mean they sell their three best players from last season, replace them with crap, lose their best centre back for half a season yet still finish 8th and reach a cup final. I'm sure like every club of their and our size they'll regress but I'd say a "Puel season" would be postive for them.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Nothing. 

End of report

So wen I log back in here is see two reply’s .. one from hyperchob

19 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

A heart condition doesn't mean he will neve play again either, it just might take a while to sort out which screws us for this window. 

Cheers mate 👍🏻

Edited by Chris cooper
Unfinished

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

what were we then 5th or 6th best?

Just because we beat Leeds last game of the season hardly makes us PL. We lost to Stoke the week before I think you will find, so then we may have been 15th best side.

Point is we went up by winning the play off competition and were brilliant doing so, it doesnt paint over the fact that our squad was not PL standard and time will see how we get on. It was heartening that RM did seem to change his tactics and adapted well.

Im not certain how we will fare, but fully aware we may have a miserable year, but also we may surprise a few people.

I think I've laboured the point enough, but all I'm saying is that to call us the 4th best team in the league is not particularly relevant to how we will do this season. By the end of the season our form was on a par with the other 2 teams behind Leicester who also had some bad results. I think we were a better team by the end of the season than at the start, that's all.

2 hours ago, St Louis said:

Real world football doesnt work like this. I knew 6 months ago that Solanke was 99% going to Spurs this summer (through contacts at AFCB), so Bournemouth would have had plenty of options lined up and ready. Players and their agents get spoken to months before an offer gets put in, just to gauge interest, affordability, etc and we all get to hear about it as its about to happen.
Do you honestly think Saints havent been looking for and sounding out strikers for months now, knowing Adams was probably leaving and Stewart probably not fit!? Its not simple to just point out a player you want and just get it over the line, its so complex.

Don’t believe it is.  Agree a fee with the club and a contract with the player.

It’s hardly resolving the war in Ukraine.

9 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

I think I've laboured the point enough, but all I'm saying is that to call us the 4th best team in the league is not particularly relevant to how we will do this season. By the end of the season our form was on a par with the other 2 teams behind Leicester who also had some bad results. I think we were a better team by the end of the season than at the start, that's all.

I totally agree that we were better in the last few games as RM adapted tactics and style brilliantly. This give sme hope that he is pragmatic.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I agree with St Louis, its not easy as getting a price, tell the player what you are paying re wages and he signs. The agents want to float the interest around hopefully to get another club interested, the selling clubs also want to do so. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Leicester did not "kick on" and win the Premier League. The season before they finished 14th on their first season back in the Prem, exactly where we finished in our first season back under Adkins/Pochettino the season before.

Was an amazing freak season. They didn't spend to win the league, they didn't build towards it, it was just an amazing one-off season.

The money they got from that eventually got them some decent seasons and the FA Cup under Rodgers, who half this forum wrote off as a shit manager because he said that thing about us once. But they kicked on a bit after the League win. Which ended them back in the Championship.

Still Brighton are perfect and will never ever have a bad season ever again ever.

• Like 1

Just now, CB Fry said:

Leicester did not "kick on" and win the Premier League. The season before they finished 14th on their first season back in the Prem, exactly where we finished in our first season back under Adkins/Pochettino the season before.

Was an amazing freak season. They didn't spend to win the league, they didn't build towards it, it was just an amazing one-off season.

The money they got from that eventually got them some decent seasons and the FA Cup under Rodgers, who half this forum wrote off as a shit manager because he said that thing about us once. But they kicked on a bit after the League win. Which ended them back in the Championship.

Still Brighton are perfect and will never ever have a bad season ever again ever.

Leicester won the FA cup, that could well have been us if Ralf hadnt shit himself and played to not get thrashed. An appalling game/show from us and you never know had we won that we could have won the cup. Unlikely but 'Super Ralf' showed what a wonderful manager he was lol.

Im one of the few who believe that Puel was poorly treated. 

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

That's a good fee, If Saints could push it upto €30Million that would be exceptional for a player nor really in our plans.

He clearly doesn't fit RM system which is a shame because there is a player in there.

However, at this moment in time I'd swap him for O'Riley if this sale funded it

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Turkish said:

They sold Caicedo and McCallister last summer, Cucurella left two years ago. They seemed to do alright without them all last season. The fact that they are going to have "a Puel season" would mean they sell their three best players from last season, replace them with crap, lose their best centre back for half a season yet still finish 8th and reach a cup final. I'm sure like every club of their and our size they'll regress but I'd say a "Puel season" would be postive for them.

That was an odd season, the run to the Cup Final was great and we so nearly won it, but the final few games of the league season were dreadful with hardly any goals and we scraped into 8th. Final game of the season 0-1 vs Stoke, the highlight being the standing ovation for Michael Owen.

35 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Even a contract with an existing player is difficult. A friend of mine is the father of a Bournemouth player, and his son has been negotiating his contract with them for nearly a year now. He tells me bits and pieces, mainly how unbelievably complex these things are, how many people are involved and how many moving parts there are, and thats a player they already have the ear of and full focus of (he wants to stay, shouldn't be complicated etc).
Can you imagine that with a player you've only just shown interest in and are trying to buy. On top of the player contract BS, you'd also have the negotiations with the club too, as well as competition from other clubs, FFP, PSR, etc... all offering different challenges to the buying club, the selling club and the player.
We will have been working for weeks/months to secure our targets, some you get and some you miss out on. As the team tipped to finish bottom of the league (and the 3rd best team promoted from The Championship in theory) it makes it even harder for us when other clubs are sniffing around.
Martin said himself at the Fans Forum this week that they had a recruitment meeting that day and that we have loads of plates spinning in the transfer market (https://youtu.be/sJgXGV08tXo?si=QXNswgACGT-VgTiD&t=3265), I just dont believe the narrative here and on social that they arent trying to buy players or are being tight... we are trying I'm sure as we want to stay up (but its hard) and we dont have the finances to pay what we might need to for certain players.
I love playing a bit of Football Manager myself, and I wish it was that easy for the real Saints to just go and buy players and pick up out of contact players on huge wages. I'm not trying to be clever or condescending, but it's really not simple.

Edited by St Louis
  • Like 8