Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Have we looked at Sem Stejin?

Would you bring in on loan ?

If West Ham don't want Ings and Prowse it wouldn't be a bad move to get both and I think personally it would strengthen us.

If Ings gets the goals to keep us up then it's job done. 

Prowse knows the club and setup wouldn't take long to integrate and would offer us a threat from set pieces. 

I have no idea about Sem Steijn, but I'd be surprised if the club didn't have him on the "interested in" list  considering that we scouted Sugawara from the same league and with his contract situation. 

I wouldn't mind us trying to get Petrovic or Kelleher on a loan with an option to buy next summer given their situations. 

Ings would demand too high a wage.

Ward-Prowse might be a possible option if he desires to play rather than sit on the bench. 

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Even when we had our really golden period of good recruitment and expensive player sales including Vvd, we never really kicked on like Brighton are trying to do here and spent said money on more expensive players .. we always tend to try go for the cheap rough diamonds but when it doesn’t work you just get left with a load of cheap squad filler that nobody wants ..

really hope if we do make any more signings we go all out to secure players who are gonna instantly improve the first team not another wave of Squad filler shite  We need some quality 

Brighton finished 11th last season. Not entirely sure where this "kicking on" has happened, they've not done any better than we did under Koeman etc.

• Like 6

Just now, CB Fry said:

Brighton finished 11th last season. Not entirely sure where this "kicking on" has happened, they've not done any better than we did under Koeman etc.

This is their Puel season, third manager since promotion after two successful improvements. One day the progress will end, all these same gushing statements were said of us once upon a time, Swansea before us and Leicester after us. 

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Someone on the Brighton Forum pointed out that Brighton's position financially thanks to Chelsea has put them in a place where they can spend way more than anyone else right now and Bloom is exploiting the opportunity to the fullest as apparently new PSR rules coming are even stricter than the ones we have currently. It could offer a possible explanation as to why Brighton are upping the ante so much this window.

If we build smartly from now even if it means taking one more yo-yo we could find ourselves in a position like that within a few years. 

Prices have just gone up so they have moved with the times.

If they get 4 or 5 for around £30m and some do well in the PL they are instantly worth £50m - and its less risky to sign someone good for £30m than someone who might possibly be good for £15m.

When you think next summer who we could sell for £30m+ its probably limited to THB if he had a brilliant season and possibly Sugawara, Dibling or SAA if they really shine. Would say thats about it.

Whereas at Brighton they have a huge list without even including Rutter or Kadioglu: Ferguson, Mitoma, Joao Pedro, Verbruggen, Minteh, Wieffer, Enciso, Adringra, Gruda, Baleba, Barco etc

Their model seems very sustainable for the next few years because they have acquired a really strong asset base - due to a combination of good scouting and also spending big to get already good players.

10 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I honestly don't see the attraction of Rutter, he's looked pretty rubbish whenever I've seen him.

His goal return isn't great but just read the Leeds forum MOT - they are almost universally gutted about this.

1 hour ago, SambaMaverick said:

Sky Sports say it was a knock, not a heart problem, which caused the hold-up in ABK's exit. They say it's still expected to go through.

1 hour ago, Saint NL said:

Knock to the heart, and you're to blame....

55 minutes ago, Chez said:

where on earth did the heart issue story come from? Very strange.  

If this was on the CoT thread I'd be expecting us to sign Anthony Knockaert any time now... ;)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

This is their Puel season, third manager since promotion after two successful improvements. One day the progress will end, all these same gushing statements were said of us once upon a time, Swansea before us and Leicester after us. 

Have they sold their two leading scorers, one of the best defensive midfielders, got their captain come back from Euros agitating for a move and replaced them all with players significantly worse too?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Fabio Silva not been mentioned but cost £40M originally in 2020. He has been loaned out multiple times to Holland & latterly at Rangers but now back at Wolves. Left sided CF type. C. £11m apparently but possibly a loaner also. 

3 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

This - the big clubs will just pick off anyone good from your squad - Mac Allister, Caicedo, Cucurella etc in Brighton's case - and eventually your run of buying successful replacements comes to an end. Nobody can get every single transfer right, it's just not possible. Look at Palace, a half decent season and they've lost Olise and are possibly going to lose Guehi and Eze. They need to get their replacements right or they could be in trouble.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

Fabio Silva not been mentioned but cost £40M originally in 2020. He has been loaned out multiple times to Holland & latterly at Rangers but now back at Wolves. Left sided CF type. C. £11m apparently but possibly a loaner also. 

Looked a little lost when he played for Wolves. Not easy for foreign players to hit the ground running in the Prem I'd of thought left side forward was the one position we don't want another. We need a guy that can be the fulcrum. Someone with Adams hold up play, but maybe a bit more ability.    

Just now, woodsaint1 said:

I know they've just cashed in on Solanke, but it didnt take long for Bournemouth to identify a replacement and bring them in. Whereas we're making no noise at all in signing a striker

We haven't sold a striker for big money and technically we have 5 on the books - Onuachu, Stewart, Mara, BBD and AA. Until we can ship a couple out I'd be surprised if we brought another in. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

I know they've just cashed in on Solanke, but it didnt take long for Bournemouth to identify a replacement and bring them in. Whereas we're making no noise at all in signing a striker

Its stating the obvious, but it's a damn sight easier to sign players that you think will be good enough for the Prem with £60m in you back pocket. 

What do we do, sign a player in our budget that we fear might fail at this level, or wait until the final week of the window to get a loan in that we can afford that we think will cut it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

He's scored very little where he has gone, 4 from 18 last season in the Scottish league does not make for great reading. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

Its stating the obvious, but it's a damn sight easier to sign players that you think will be good enough for the Prem with £60m in you back pocket. 

What do we do, sign a player in our budget that we fear might fail at this level, or wait until the final week of the window to get a loan in that we can afford that we think will cut it?

cynic in me says if we just sold a player for £60m, we would be bringing Onuachu and Mara as a double replacement.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I don’t think he’s worth £11m.  Really struggled in the Prem.

11 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

He is total shite

• Like 1

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

cynic in me says if we just sold a player for £60m, we would be bringing Onuachu and Mara as a double replacement.

No, that's not true at all.  We would scout someone really good that looks fantastic, chuck a few hopelessly low bids in, wait a bit, see some big clubs come in once we get close, fail to sign the player AND then buy Mara and Onuachu.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Dellyears said:

Of course we want his sale to go through and we want him to haver a full career but the man is never fit for anything but the treatment room. We collect them. Remember Delgado, now Stewart.

I remember Delgado well, in Ecuador he was incredible, their best player in a generation. However he came with a knee injury that needed an operation. The club were dickheads of the first order. Instead of scheduling the operation immediately they allowed the Ecuador President to persuade him to go to the World Cup. They played him despite his knee so when he came back that was it for him and us despite the best treatment the knee was too damaged. My thoughts at the time were just that. It was obvious to everybody except the club what was going to happen. Putting him in for the operation would have rescued his career and our investment. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Have they sold their two leading scorers, one of the best defensive midfielders, got their captain come back from Euros agitating for a move and replaced them all with players significantly worse too?

Caicedo? Mac Allister? Cucurella? They’ve just lost probably their best player in Grosß, and i’m sure Dunk (their captain) would go if he was in demand by anyone. Mitoma is back from injury so if he’s anything like he was 18 months ago he’ll be off come end of the season. We’ll find out if their replacements this summer are any good, but they’re already trying to shift Gilmour and Dahoud who they only signed in the last season or two. Evan Ferguson the next £100mil striker that everyone thought was the next coming of Alan Shearer has not scored a goal for almost a calendar year. They came 11th last year and amassed the same points as Everton, had they not had 8 deducted. They’ve had a great few years, but it’s been done before, and i’m sure one day they’ll be looking at someone else who are the supposed best run club in the country.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

He has struggled whenever I've seen him. It's a PASS from me.

26 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

ABK is not part of the squad list on the OS, since the shirt numbers were added this morning. I wouldn't be too surprised if his transfer to Hoffenheim was wrapped up today/tomorrow

No Onuachu there either.

Incidentally I'm pleased to see SAA and Dibling given shirt numbers - really hope this means they'll be an option this season and not loaned out. There's still time yet so I'm not getting my hopes up though.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I honestly don't see the attraction of Rutter, he's looked pretty rubbish whenever I've seen him.

I tend to agree, he's never impressed me much when I've seen him but my step dad is a Leeds fan and raves about him, thinks he's gonna go on to big things. Then again he also thinks Kalvin Phillips is brilliant.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

He's bloody awful, wouldn't want him anywhere near Saints. His main attribute is throwing himself to the ground.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I was referring to increasing our spending ie take the van dijk money and go make 25-40 m signings like Brighton are .. we just believed we could keep shopping at Aldi and turning them into stars 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Caicedo? Mac Allister? Cucurella? They’ve just lost probably their best player in Grosß, and i’m sure Dunk (their captain) would go if he was in demand by anyone. Mitoma is back from injury so if he’s anything like he was 18 months ago he’ll be off come end of the season. We’ll find out if their replacements this summer are any good, but they’re already trying to shift Gilmour and Dahoud who they only signed in the last season or two. Evan Ferguson the next £100mil striker that everyone thought was the next coming of Alan Shearer has not scored a goal for almost a calendar year. They came 11th last year and amassed the same points as Everton, had they not had 8 deducted. They’ve had a great few years, but it’s been done before, and i’m sure one day they’ll be looking at someone else who are the supposed best run club in the country.

I'm sorry, but Gross was not Brightons best player. At least not in the last couple of seasons as he is now 33.

He was used as a utility player last season filling voids when needed

5 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Yes, well spotted.

He is, but just doesnt feature on the website. Signalling the clubs intentions to offload him and ABK

I do suspect our intention is still to sell him (and bring in a replacement/loan) but I think we've given him a number in case a move falls through and he stays. Same with Charly although he's previously said he's happy to stay. I'd be happy enough if we kept both to be fair.

55 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Prices have just gone up so they have moved with the times.

If they get 4 or 5 for around £30m and some do well in the PL they are instantly worth £50m - and its less risky to sign someone good for £30m than someone who might possibly be good for £15m.

When you think next summer who we could sell for £30m+ its probably limited to THB if he had a brilliant season and possibly Sugawara, Dibling or SAA if they really shine. Would say thats about it.

Whereas at Brighton they have a huge list without even including Rutter or Kadioglu: Ferguson, Mitoma, Joao Pedro, Verbruggen, Minteh, Wieffer, Enciso, Adringra, Gruda, Baleba, Barco etc

Their model seems very sustainable for the next few years because they have acquired a really strong asset base - due to a combination of good scouting and also spending big to get already good players.

Yeah, Brighton are basically how we were replacing Lallana / Lambert with Tadic & Pelle etc. WITHOUT the Lemina / Carillo years afterwards.

Scout really well, sell really well, keep scouting and recruting more expensive players as you sell higher.

They've done a brilliant job.  Ironically, we were their role models coming up.

Now it's reversed.

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

I do suspect our intention is still to sell him (and bring in a replacement/loan) but I think we've given him a number in case a move falls through and he stays. Same with Charly although he's previously said he's happy to stay. I'd be happy enough if we kept both to be fair.

Same with Lis ?

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Same with Lis ?

Lis is on the OS squad list, although supposedly heading back to Goztepe.

ABK & Onuachu left off could just be an oversight by the digital team I suppose. It's easy to forget about them

Edited by Saint Scott

12 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Yes, well spotted.

He is, but just doesnt feature on the website. Signalling the clubs intentions to offload him and ABK

with limited CF options for Saturday, it makes sense to ensure he has a squad number (I presume you need to be registered as a squad player- with a number - to play). Very little point giving ABK one if he is in Germany and presumably won't get a game even if the deal falls through. 

Just now, Saint Scott said:

Loan comes in, Lis goes, loan doesn't come in. Lis stays?

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

ABK & Onuachu left off could just be an oversight by the digital team I suppose. It's easy to forget about them

Maybe he wasn't here to get his photo taken?

You'd think we'd add him to keep up the pretence that he has been merged back into the squad and will stay unless we get the £10m we want for him. 

• Like 1