Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

We have TH-B, and need another 4 first team starters (not squad fillers) as a minimum. Flynn Downes could be one (hopefully🤞), another CDM who is a physical presence and a ball winner/strong tackler, a GK, and at least one striker.
I would also hope we can secure Ryan Fraser as he will be low cost and is a decent impact sub, if not a guaranteed starter.

Also need to be ruthless with the ones who just aren’t good enough - Mara, Sulemana, Charles, Manning, possibly Edozie (he never quite delivers). The currently out on loan players Perraud and Bella-Kotchap could do a job if they are up for it. Not Lyanco. Possibly tall Paul? He never really got a chance or a regular start in the side, could he do a job?

Lots of ins and outs, but we have got to get it right, quality not quantity. Starters not fillers or potential ones for the future.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, vectraman said:

We have TH-B, and need another 4 first team starters (not squad fillers) as a minimum. Flynn Downes could be one (hopefully🤞), another CDM who is a physical presence and a ball winner/strong tackler, a GK, and at least one striker.
I would also hope we can secure Ryan Fraser as he will be low cost and is a decent impact sub, if not a guaranteed starter.

Also need to be ruthless with the ones who just aren’t good enough - Mara, Sulemana, Charles, Manning, possibly Edozie (he never quite delivers). The currently out on loan players Perraud and Bella-Kotchap could do a job if they are up for it. Not Lyanco. Possibly tall Paul? He never really got a chance or a regular start in the side, could he do a job?

Lots of ins and outs, but we have got to get it right, quality not quantity. Starters not fillers or potential ones for the future.  

Ideally we bring in Downes and can tempt Romeu with a loan for one season.

24 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I hope the club offer Romain Perraud a new deal, You aren't going to find such good value at LB than what we have in him.

Would absolutely prefer him over Manning or Bree at LB

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Ideally we bring in Downes and can tempt Romeu with a loan for one season.

Romeu is gone, and he looked just about spent in his last three months here anyway. That was two years ago and he’ll be 33 in September. We need to move on.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kjurwi said:

Would absolutely prefer him over Manning or Bree at LB

He's actually really decent too, was one player I was sad to see go on loan last summer. 

At LWB too he'd be quality I feel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Perraud at LB might be a good option for us. He works hard, has PL experience, and probably has a relatively low sell on value. He can get a good cross in which Stewart, who seems to be a monster in the air, might really appreciate. Quality airborne crosses aren't really something we have seen from KWP. He might also get 2 or 3 goals across the season.

Would give us Manning, Larios, Peraud and potentially Ryan Fraser & KWP & Stephens who could play there, so potentially overstocked...

That said we know that there was friction last season between homegrown players and the European contingent. The only time RM played Perraud was at LCB in the Gillingham game. I was sat right behind him for the first half. I think he was recovering from an injury, it was his first game back, and he is just not built to be a CB against a League 1 side - he looked like a fish up a tree, and I felt really bad for him.

Charlie was the only player who impressed that day, and Tall Paul couldn't get onto any of the crosses that were lumped in at the end. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Romeu is gone, and he looked just about spent in his last three months here anyway. That was two years ago and he’ll be 33 in September. We need to move on.

I'd have him as a back up, Someone to rotate when Downes needs a rest, Of players that have left..  He is definitely someone that could do a job. 

Posted (edited)

I seem like I must be in the minority here but really not bothered about Perraud. Decent going forward and ran around a lot but has a lot of the same deficiencies as Manning, for me. Got positionally exposed a hell of a lot and thought his passing was sloppy. He also couldn't be arsed to stay and wanted out last summer - although he did see the manager sign a LB from his former club, so the writing was on the wall.

But no thanks.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, northam soul said:

Out of our current midfield Aribo IMO is the one who needs upgrading the most.

Despite his almost cult status with some he just doesn’t affect games enough and especially now with the Prem looming.

His goal involvements are not good enough for the position he is playing.

If we want to have any chance next season we need a massive upgrade in firepower.

As far as a goalkeeper is concerned I thought everyone wanted that Rotherham keeper next season.

Slightly harsh on Aribo I think. He was hugely important in providing ball retention and nous in the run in, and very much in the final. For that should be retained. Sure, not a starter every week, but would definitely have him on board. Clearly has revelled under Martin as he was useless under the others

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

I seem like I must be in the minority here but really not bothered about Perraud. Decent going forward and ran around a lot but has a lot of the same deficiencies as Manning, for me. Got positionally exposed a hell of a lot and thought his passing was sloppy. He also couldn't be arsed to stay and wanted out last summer - although he did see the manager sign a LB from his former club, so the writing was on the wall.

But no thanks.

I always believed his positional exposure was down to Ralph Ball, he would often have no one in front of him when the two man midfield itself was exposed under counter attack, he also had Elyonoussi in front of him, which was as good as no one. 

edit. Not that I want him or anyone else back that was here before. 

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Slightly harsh on Aribo I think. He was hugely important in providing ball retention and nous in the run in, and very much in the final. For that should be retained. Sure, not a starter every week, but would definitely have him on board. Clearly has revelled under Martin as he was useless under the others

I like him, certainly since he lost weight, got fitter and showed some desire following his return from the Afcon, but I think he’s a very limited player, nowhere near premier league standard. 

• Like 1

We require starting quality in the following positions...

GK, LB, CB (ABK?), CM (Downes?), Wide attacker, Striker....

I think Adams, McCarthy and possibly Bednarek will depart, and we have to shift the likes of Lyanco ffs

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Yeah I don’t get the appeal of Perraud. A very average left back with not much pace.

Agreed. How anyone rates him is beyond me.

Slow, crosses rarely beat the first man, often out of position, gives the ball away. The only aspect of football he's actually good at is a long shot which, for a full back should be nothing more than an added bonus (like Clyne).

I will concede that he gives his all but that just isn't enough on it's own. And yes he's better than Manning but I really hope that's not our criteria in that position.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I'd have him as a back up, Someone to rotate when Downes needs a rest, Of players that have left..  He is definitely someone that could do a job. 

We don't need to bring in any back up. We need to bring in first team players who are better than the ones which only finished fourth in last years Championship.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Meghoma has a higher ceiling than either Manning or Perraud.

A good pre season could see him earn a place in the first team squad IMO.

If we are likely to play with wing backs more regularly then need someone with more mobility and stamina than Perraud or Manning anyway.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We don't need to bring in any back up. We need to bring in first team players who are better than the ones which only finished fourth in last years Championship.

Whilst I sort of agree, hypothetically if we sign Downes it's unlikely we would get someone better. What we would need in that scenario is someone to replace Charles in the squad who can do a job if Downes can't play for whatever reason. It's unrealistic to expect two top costly signings in that position. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Meghoma has a higher ceiling than either Manning or Perraud.

A good pre season could see him earn a place in the first team squad IMO.

If we are likely to play with wing backs more regularly then need someone with more mobility and stamina than Perraud or Manning anyway.

very true

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Whilst I sort of agree, hypothetically if we sign Downes it's unlikely we would get someone better. What we would need in that scenario is someone to replace Charles in the squad who can do a job if Downes can't play for whatever reason. It's unrealistic to expect two top costly signings in that position. 

Assuming that we do sign Downes and keep the same system in midfield next season, I still think we need to be bringing in another starter. An upgrade on either Aribo or Smallbone should be a priority, with one of them on the bench with Charles. I think a few people are underestimating the task we face this summer. The same team that only made the playoffs, plus the likes of Ings, Broja, Romeu and Lallana as some people are suggesting is going to get absolutely thumped in the PL. Last time we only just stayed up after bringing in J Rod, Davis, Clyne, Yoshida and Boruc to be first team starters. Half a dosen Mayukas and Gazzanigas and we'd have gone straight back down.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Assuming that we do sign Downes and keep the same system in midfield next season, I still think we need to be bringing in another starter. An upgrade on either Aribo or Smallbone should be a priority, with one of them on the bench with Charles. I think a few people are underestimating the task we face this summer. The same team that only made the playoffs, plus the likes of Ings, Broja, Romeu and Lallana as some people are suggesting is going to get absolutely thumped in the PL. Last time we only just stayed up after bringing in J Rod, Davis, Clyne, Yoshida and Boruc to be first team starters. Half a dosen Mayukas and Gazzanigas and we'd have gone straight back down.

That may well be the case and I agree we need an upgrade on Aribo at least but then who is playing the dm role in the event that Downes is unavailable? Surely we need a mixture of new starters and players to strengthen the squad. 

• Like 1

ABK is an absolute no brainer to reintegrate for me if his heads in it, and I feel with him attending Wembley that it probably is. We'd do very well to find better than him in our price range, and with a good PL year he's immediately a £40/50m player. THB, ABK, Bednarek, Stephens + one new signing feels like a good core of CB's for me. Lawrence to try and break through, or one more year out on loan?

Alcaraz is difficult. He was, for me, the standout positive of the second half of last season, but he was really disappointing in the Championship. Doesn't seem to fit the Martin style of football due to somewhat questionable passing. A good player but not one who is right for this system? Sell (if we get a good fee) and reinvest candidate, but I'd be happy to see him involved.

I can't say I've ever rated Perraud. Better than what we have? Yes. At the level I'd want? Probably not. I'd understand bringing him back and using him to fill a gap if we feel like there's bigger priorities this Summer. It wouldn't be devastating for him to return, and it certainly wouldn't be devastating for us to receive ~£10m and go elsewhere.

TLDR; I'd be disappointed to lose ABK. Alcaraz/Perraud not particularly fussed either way.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We need some serious upgrades.

This team lost four times to Leicester and Ipswich, who on paper are the two worst teams we will play next season.

Yep. Gk, rb, lb, winger, DM, AM, striker needed as an absolute minimum. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saintant said:

Alex is on massive money. I'd only offer him pay per game at much lower amount. We need to free up his salary for other players.

Do pay per game contracts even exist nowadays? I see people mention them reasonably often but am not aware of any players actually on them.

Tierney will be available from  Arsenal. Doesn't fit with Arteta, had a loan at Real Sociadad that was interupted by injury. Wages could be a bit high, but he is a fantastic wing back. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, saintant said:

Alex is on massive money. I'd only offer him pay per game at much lower amount. We need to free up his salary for other players.

you want to dish out a zero hour contract?

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

ABK is an absolute no brainer to reintegrate for me if his heads in it, and I feel with him attending Wembley that it probably is. We'd do very well to find better than him in our price range, and with a good PL year he's immediately a £40/50m player. THB, ABK, Bednarek, Stephens + one new signing feels like a good core of CB's for me. Lawrence to try and break through, or one more year out on loan?

Alcaraz is difficult. He was, for me, the standout positive of the second half of last season, but he was really disappointing in the Championship. Doesn't seem to fit the Martin style of football due to somewhat questionable passing. A good player but not one who is right for this system? Sell (if we get a good fee) and reinvest candidate, but I'd be happy to see him involved.

I can't say I've ever rated Perraud. Better than what we have? Yes. At the level I'd want? Probably not. I'd understand bringing him back and using him to fill a gap if we feel like there's bigger priorities this Summer. It wouldn't be devastating for him to return, and it certainly wouldn't be devastating for us to receive ~£10m and go elsewhere.

TLDR; I'd be disappointed to lose ABK. Alcaraz/Perraud not particularly fussed either way.

I agree on Alcaraz. The strengths he showed in the PL, weren't applicable to Martin's system.

Under Selles, he could be the pacy player to launch a counter attack with. All about his attacking. Like a lot of others, Martin needs all rounders. And that's tough to make such big changes to your game, especially if you don't like the constraints.

I also think it's something that the recruitment team have to look at. It's all very well getting in a young talent. But where, and how he plays now might be just part of what Martin wants him to do. I see the same things with Sule and Charles.

I like Perraud too. But we have Bree, Manning, KWP, Stephens, Meghoma, Larios (if fit) and maybe even an incoming Fraser as a wingback option. All wanting minutes. So, agree with conclusion there, unless lots of movement.

4 hours ago, Chez said:

You are not the only one, but I don't share that opinion.

He got injured in both Forrest games, which were key games. Both were really bad performances from us and the defeats were nails in our relegation coffin. He didn't go AWOL when it got tough. He did his knee in the first game. He slipped just of the edge of the pitch on the astro and you could see straight away it was nasty. To slate him for that (as Doswell did) doesn't make sense to me. He pulled a muscle in the second game which put him out for the rest of the season. The injury happened when Johnston skinned him, but to suggest he feigned the injury strikes me as just confirmation bias.

Just a thanks for this post, for those of us who couldn't remember the details. Always good to get the perspective, before the memory cell jumps to conclusions. 🙂

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, redkeith said:

Tierney will be available from  Arsenal. Doesn't fit with Arteta, had a loan at Real Sociadad that was interupted by injury. Wages could be a bit high, but he is a fantastic wing back. 

How long left on his contract? Could be decent loan move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vectraman said:

Disagree about Edozie - before getting injured he was showing real quality - he's only just 21 and had a stop start career (Tella only really showed promise at 23).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, vectraman said:

Also need to be ruthless with the ones who just aren’t good enough - Mara, Sulemana, Charles, Manning, possibly Edozie (he never quite delivers). The currently out on loan players Perraud and Bella-Kotchap could do a job if they are up for it. 

I would keep Edozie, as he did find some end product this season. In 32 championship matches he scored 6 and had 3 assists. Not bad for a winger and he is still only 21. 

• Like 5

Agree about Perraud. Downgrading to players like him is the reason why we went down.  Get rid.

A lot of prem interest around Archie Brown who looks a good option at left back. Doughty would also be good imo.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Someone said about Jobe Bellingham.. Crystal Palace are in for him. 

He'd have far more chance of starting first team games for us.

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Burnley spent alot, on a lot of players...

Transfer News Live on X: "🚨 Highest net spend this season: (📊 @TMuk_news)  https://t.co/7y7ZZQh0MX" / X

Welcome back MLG!
Noted Burnley did spend a lot - but it did not have the effect of upgrading evolving or improving them.  

Just buying new players alone for runaway championship winners Burnley, was wholly inadequate. 

Was it the players ( bad picks?) or was it because VK played exactly the same way as the previous year (and in the EPL they know how to counter it better than that’s years Championship cohort?) or was it something else or a combo ? 

I think what RM showed he can do evolving tactically in the last four matches plus ruthless player upgrading is the key to improving sufficient to be competitive in the EPL for Saints. 
Im beginning to wonder if not having JW around somehow gave RM freedom to adjust how we play- to winning effect.  Add higher quality players and it could be interesting. 

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Mara shouldn't be sold, he's only 20 and I firmly believe there is a player in there particularly if we go down again. 

But a loan out somewhere he'll start every game would be ideal. Lower championship or even league one, most important thing for him now is starting significant amounts of games.

He's 22 in July. He may be a late developer and I do think there's a player in there but I've seem very little from him last season to show that he's going to be of use for us next season. I do think he should be loaned out and retained in case we end up back in the Championship but I'm dubious of whether he'll ever reach his potential but a loan spell away will give us all the information we need. 

We currently have Stewart and AA next season assuming we lose Adams and Mara so IMO we need two strikers to come in. That is unless the club need to budget and just bring one striker in, in which case I could see them wanting to retain Mara.

10 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

He's 22 in July. He may be a late developer and I do think there's a player in there but I've seem very little from him last season to show that he's going to be of use for us next season. I do think he should be loaned out and retained in case we end up back in the Championship but I'm dubious of whether he'll ever reach his potential but a loan spell away will give us all the information we need. 

We currently have Stewart and AA next season assuming we lose Adams and Mara so IMO we need two strikers to come in. That is unless the club need to budget and just bring one striker in, in which case I could see them wanting to retain Mara.

This, for the last 2 seasons, is just bizarre.

He is crap, always been crap for us, and will remain crap for us.

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He'll turn into Sadio Mane any day now because every player who people on here say is crap always turns into Sadio Mane and proves everyone wrong. Always

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mr Saints said:

Agree about Perraud. Downgrading to players like him is the reason why we went down.  Get rid.

Amen. Slow, technically limited and couldn't wait to leave.  If our scouts can't find a better left back than him they should be sacked.

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

He’s shown no progress or sign of developing at all in the two years he’s been here. Worse than that he seemingly doesn’t even look interested half the time. I’ve no idea why you would want to keep him, aside from the fact that he’s 20, which every footballer in the world was at some point. We can’t just hang on to substandard players in the hope that maybe in five years they’ll be a reasonable Championship player, if we go down again.

I disagree that he hasn't shown progress, even though he's had a ridiculously small amount of game time to try and do anything in since his arrival. 

If we were signing a French youth international striker we'd be optimistic about how he would look in a couple of years time, i'm optimistic about him. We would get what, £10million at best for him if we sold him now? What benefit is that to us? We may as well send him on loan somewhere and see how he develops with 40+ games played. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

He'll turn into Sadio Mane any day now because every player who people on here say is crap always turns into Sadio Mane and proves everyone wrong. Always

saw Mane at the emirates in his first saints sub appearance (work had Arsenal tickets and nobody else wanted them that evening).. gave him 9 in the player ratings and everyone else gave him a 0 so even Sadio Mane takes a while to become Sadio Mane in the eyes of our folks. 

37 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Yep Mara is crap ..absolute dogshit of a player ..lazy as fuck and is well out of his depth...get rid ASAP .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I agree on Alcaraz. The strengths he showed in the PL, weren't applicable to Martin's system.

Under Selles, he could be the pacy player to launch a counter attack with. All about his attacking. Like a lot of others, Martin needs all rounders. And that's tough to make such big changes to your game, especially if you don't like the constraints.

Alcaraz simply gave the ball away too much, which for a possession based side is the deadly sin. I can't see Juve signing him, which is a shame, as we could do with that money to buy someone RM does want.

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I disagree that he hasn't shown progress, even though he's had a ridiculously small amount of game time to try and do anything in since his arrival. 

If we were signing a French youth international striker we'd be optimistic about how he would look in a couple of years time, i'm optimistic about him. We would get what, £10million at best for him if we sold him now? What benefit is that to us? We may as well send him on loan somewhere and see how he develops with 40+ games played. 

Mara has had plenty of opportunity to prove himself and he really has been a disappointment, and what is more unacceptable than a lack of ability is his lack of effort. Mara has played in 28 championship matches this season and  played 22 matches in the premiership. In those 50 matches he has scored 4 goals. It’s a pass from me.

• Like 2

Just now, Chez said:

Alcaraz simply gave the ball away too much, which for a possession based side is the deadly sin. I can't see Juve signing him, which is a shame, as we could do with that money to buy someone RM does want.

Yeah, it opened us right up when we'd committed forward.

I couldn't say if he has the skills to develop in the areas he would need to here, or not. Perhaps he'd just prefer to find somewhere that focuses more on his strengths. I got the feeling there was a bit of mutual frustration.

It's something I'm more aware of when people post up highlight videos. I end up looking at their team's set up for the goal/ highlight, to see if it's something we'd be likely to see here.   🙂

16 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

Mara has had plenty of opportunity to prove himself and he really has been a disappointment, and what is more unacceptable than a lack of ability is his lack of effort. Mara has played in 28 championship matches this season and  played 22 matches in the premiership. In those 50 matches he has scored 4 goals. It’s a pass from me.

28 matches of which only 5 were starts - 667 minutes in total or less than seven and a half games worth of football. Similar story in the Prem, only 541 minutes - equivalent of 6 games of football. 

Lets round up and say he's played the equivalent of 14 games of football for us. This is why he needs loaning somewhere that he will start and stay on for the majority of the games, to see how he does with some consistency behind him. 

• Like 3