Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

I've mentioned this before, but I have a good friend with a strong contact at the club. My mate recently asked this contact whether the situation is as bleak as it’s being portrayed—like us missing out on everyone. The response was to ignore the noise. While we’re not going to be signing any superstars, we will be in a much better position in a few weeks. It’s just a matter of patience. I know this isn't breaking news, but I thought it was worth sharing. 

• Like 23

1 minute ago, SaintLondon said:

I've mentioned this before, but I have a good friend with a strong contact at the club. My mate recently asked this contact whether the situation is as bleak as it’s being portrayed—like us missing out on everyone. The response was to ignore the noise. While we’re not going to be signing any superstars, we will be in a much better position in a few weeks. It’s just a matter of patience. I know this isn't breaking news, but I thought it was worth sharing. 

Fingers crossed we are feeling much more confident in the squad come 30/08. Appreciate the update.

Sign a decent keeper and I think we've got a good chance of staying up.

Go with McCarthy and we'll beat Sheffield United's GA from last season in near-post goals alone!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

That's a risky signing. He's was so overrated when he was getting the plaudits imo and in the last two years he has shown his true ability. 

That’s rubbish. You don’t get to play for England and not be good enough for Ipswich FFS. He lost his way for sure and was rusty as hell and not close to game-ready for those few games when he kept having a nighty at WHU. 

A decent run in a decent team with a decent manager and he’ll be plenty good enough for most teams outside the top half a dozen or so. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Jon Stark, Football Mercenary, was a match winner for hire on a game-by-game basis who used to get paid by the goal in Roy of the Rovers.

There was “No payment for a lost game” so we should sign a few on that deal, we’d be minted by the end of this season. 

Nice trousers too. 

IMG_9136.jpeg

I knew an old boy who used to play for Brighton (I think) when wages were capped at a tenner. 

He earned £8 a week basic, plus bonuses of £1 for a draw and £2 for a win.

In the summer he was laid off and was not paid at all.

10 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Depends what his definition of much better position is is. 

2 minutes ago, Gru said:

I knew an old boy who used to play for Brighton (I think) when wages were capped at a tenner. 

See that’s what Lallana should be on, and he should be grateful for it 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Rutter if it happens would be Brighton's 4th signing of €30m+ this summer plus the £15m or so signing of Osman who they have already loaned out to Feyenoord (imagine us signing someone for that kind of cash and not even using them this season!).

Whilst we have spent £7m on Sugawara and BBD (edit - plus obvs Downes & THB)

Brighton predicted by many to finish 10th to 12th - just shows what we are up against really and the importance of making big sales to be able to reinvest.

Even when we had our really golden period of good recruitment and expensive player sales including Vvd, we never really kicked on like Brighton are trying to do here and spent said money on more expensive players .. we always tend to try go for the cheap rough diamonds but when it doesn’t work you just get left with a load of cheap squad filler that nobody wants ..

really hope if we do make any more signings we go all out to secure players who are gonna instantly improve the first team not another wave of Squad filler shite  We need some quality 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm not sure anything I've said there suggests any sort of doom? The words he used could have a number of interpretations and a better position is subjective. 

My point is, if the contact at the club said to ignore the noise and we'll be in a better position - one would assume that is a positive thing but only time will tell! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Agree with all the above. Recruitment is the most important thing for a club of our size. To serve up as many duds as we have in recent times has crippled us. 

We need to recruit a scouting team that can consistently find us gems like they did under Cortese and the following seasons.   

It’s not all about big money - look at Steven Davis, Jay Rod, even Cork. Etc. All signed for cheap and had quality PL careers. So we know it can be done. 

eg. Edwards, Sugawara [But also Mara, Edozie]

54 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Even when we had our really golden period of good recruitment and expensive player sales including Vvd, we never really kicked on like Brighton are trying to do here and spent said money on more expensive players .. we always tend to try go for the cheap rough diamonds but when it doesn’t work you just get left with a load of cheap squad filler that nobody wants ..

really hope if we do make any more signings we go all out to secure players who are gonna instantly improve the first team not another wave of Squad filler shite  We need some quality 

eg. Sulemana, Tall Paul, Duje Ćaleta-Car, Ross Stewart, Boufal, Osvaldo [But also VVD, Danny Ings]

And this is why there is always a stick to beat the club with. Unless every signing, at every price point turns out to be solid gold someone will find something to moan about.

I wish we were Brighton... [hint - it's the data collection paid for outside the club, made possible by owning a gambling company that is the secret of their success]

8 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Sky Sports say it was a knock, not a heart problem, which caused the hold-up in ABK's exit. They say it's still expected to go through.

Of course we want his sale to go through and we want him to haver a full career but the man is never fit for anything but the treatment room. We collect them. Remember Delgado, now Stewart.

2 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Poch and Matt Crocker team up again as Manager and Sporting Director of the USA mens team.

Slightly surprising choice.

Surprising choice for him too. His stock is still high in Europe would have thought he'd have held out for a job in one of the major leagues or even the England job.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Poch and Matt Crocker team up again as Manager and Sporting Director of the USA mens team.

Slightly surprising choice.

Manage the home team at a world cup and no doubt with a fat pay packet, not a bad option.

16 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Sky Sports say it was a knock, not a heart problem, which caused the hold-up in ABK's exit. They say it's still expected to go through.

I've been reading and carefully analysing the Hoffenheim forums for their take on the ABK transfer and I can safely say that I don't know what they're saying because I can't read German.

HTH.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Is it a Adam Lallana/Ross Stewart type knock ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SaintLondon said:

My point is, if the contact at the club said to ignore the noise and we'll be in a better position - one would assume that is a positive thing but only time will tell! 

It could be but like I said it depends what is meant by better position. I think everyone expects us to make some signings. 

1 hour ago, Greenridge said:

That’s rubbish. You don’t get to play for England and not be good enough for Ipswich FFS. He lost his way for sure and was rusty as hell and not close to game-ready for those few games when he kept having a nighty at WHU. 

A decent run in a decent team with a decent manager and he’ll be plenty good enough for most teams outside the top half a dozen or so. 

I know he doesn't fit our style and I know some loose passes led directly to goals at West Ham (causing him to have a `mare'), but boy could we do with a guy that offers his doggedness when we haven't got the ball. He's a Jack Cork type, that just runs and runs, puts opponents under pressure, gets a foot in, gets an interception...gets the ball back. Our midfield lacks that little bit of bite and legs. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I know he doesn't fit our style and I know some loose passes led directly to goals at West Ham (causing him to have a `mare'), but boy could we do with a guy that offers his doggedness when we haven't got the ball. He's a Jack Cork type, that just runs and runs, puts opponents under pressure, gets a foot in, gets an interception...gets the ball back. Our midfield lacks that little bit of bite and legs. 

Is Oliver skipp like that? 

19 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Of course we want his sale to go through and we want him to haver a full career but the man is never fit for anything but the treatment room. We collect them. Remember Delgado, now Stewart.

Just wondered if we were alone in that fact? Do other sides sign injured, or injury prone players and get almost nothing out of them for their entire contract (we are some way from that with Stewart just yet I should add).  

Signing an injured player is madness IMO, especially as you only have to wait 4 or five months until anther window opens...just wait until the next one FFS. If the player goes elsewhere, so be it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Is Oliver skipp like that? 

I'm not familiar with his game, but can't see RM sacrificing touch and passing for 'legs'. If the players offers both, then we would have a winner in my eyes.

39 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

where on earth did the heart issue story come from? Very strange.  

image.thumb.png.f1bf6a095aaa1c2c65906dfa126af6ae.png

Mad how far behind we have fallen but I know Brighton have sold well in recent times but it still baffles me that they can go out and spend £40m + on several players. 

Even if the heady days of us shifting big stars for big wedge we were never in that world of big money transfers. The financial aspect of football baffles me. 

1 hour ago, Greenridge said:

Maitland-Niles has England caps. It's no longer a measure of quality

• Like 1

Brighton spending 40 m on Rutter doesn't feel like something Brighton or Tony Bloom would do. It feels way too risky for their standards, if it was 25-30m then that would feel more normal.

Edit: Now dropping 40 m on Kadioglu are they just tossing their usual model to the wayside? 

Edited by V.Johnathan.Wilson

2 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

That's a risky signing. He's was so overrated when he was getting the plaudits imo and in the last two years he has shown his true ability. 

At his best, he was birlliant. People on here just hate him because he was picked for England ahead of JWP... He then went on to be englands player of the tounrament which left a lot of egg on peoples face. 

I could see him doing really, really well at Ipswich. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

Just wondered if we were alone in that fact? Do other sides sign injured, or injury prone players and get almost nothing out of them for their entire contract (we are some way from that with Stewart just yet I should add).  

Signing an injured player is madness IMO, especially as you only have to wait 4 or five months until anther window opens...just wait until the next one FFS. If the player goes elsewhere, so be it.

There is the sad case of Richard Hall. Signed by West Ham from Saints but only played 7 games before retiring

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

At his best, he was birlliant. People on here just hate him because he was picked for England ahead of JWP... He then went on to be englands player of the tounrament which left a lot of egg on peoples face. 

I could see him doing really, really well at Ipswich. 

He and Rice were decent partnership but to say he was brilliant individually is a bit of a stretch imo. I just don't rate him and that's ok we can have different opinions. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gru said:

It used to be standard for footballers to be paid less in the summer.  Story is that Tommy Docherty once complained to his manager that the was being paid less than another player at his club. He was told it was because the other fella was a better player. To which Docherty replied,  "not in the summer he isn't "

6 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

image.thumb.png.f1bf6a095aaa1c2c65906dfa126af6ae.png

Mad how far behind we have fallen but I know Brighton have sold well in recent times but it still baffles me that they can go out and spend £40m + on several players. 

Even if the heady days of us shifting big stars for big wedge we were never in that world of big money transfers. The financial aspect of football baffles me. 

Brighton were supposedly interested in MOR.  It does  put into perspective the relative pricing. 

MOR is available for €25M plus bits and pieces- Rutter is €40m. 

One has torn the SPL up last year scoring a million goals and assists for the Champs  whereas the other played second tier English football for a team not good enough to get promoted . 

So Brighton choose Rutter. For Brighton and their algorithmic approach to valuation of players, Rutter >MOR. Kind of puts a little bit of perspective about getting too excited about MOR for Saints. If o was Celtic I’d be thinking MOR valuation just gone up with that Rutter deal. 

2 hours ago, SaintLondon said:

That's encouraging.  Thanks

Trouble is though, before "in a few weeks' we may well have lost the first few games and a bad start is hard to overcome at this level. 

• Like 2

Someone on the Brighton Forum pointed out that Brighton's position financially thanks to Chelsea has put them in a place where they can spend way more than anyone else right now and Bloom is exploiting the opportunity to the fullest as apparently new PSR rules coming are even stricter than the ones we have currently. It could offer a possible explanation as to why Brighton are upping the ante so much this window.

If we build smartly from now even if it means taking one more yo-yo we could find ourselves in a position like that within a few years. 

Edited by V.Johnathan.Wilson

26 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Brighton spending 40 m on Rutter doesn't feel like something Brighton or Tony Bloom would do. It feels way too risky for their standards, if it was 25-30m then that would feel more normal.

Edit: Now dropping 40 m on Kadioglu are they just tossing their usual model to the wayside? 

I honestly don't see the attraction of Rutter, he's looked pretty rubbish whenever I've seen him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaintLondon said:

sounds like he just read the CoT Thread to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have we looked at Sem Stejin?

Would you bring in on loan ?

If West Ham don't want Ings and Prowse it wouldn't be a bad move to get both and I think personally it would strengthen us.

If Ings gets the goals to keep us up then it's job done. 

Prowse knows the club and setup wouldn't take long to integrate and would offer us a threat from set pieces. 

• Like 1