Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, maysie said:

Wow proper meltdown territory on here tonight.

It’s been like that for a couple of weeks from a lot of people.

Some really need to grow up and get on with their lives. Who is in the Saints squad doesn’t constitute “life-threatening” for me. 😂

Proper drama queens on here.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

I don’t think we will sign 1 or 2 before the end of the window, let alone before the Newcastle game.

The biscuit tin is empty.

We know we have got £15m to spend...plus whatever we get for Onuachu and ABK, assuming those deals get done.  Whether that's enough to sign a talented attacker, I am not sure.

• Like 1

Players like Onuachu will be gone before the end of the window one way or another. It’s just a lot of stalling so each side thinks they’re getting the best deal possible.

It’s stalling and mind games, not a bad thing, from either side. 
If you hold out you run the risk of being stuck with them and not moving them on, the other club finds another target, or you do it early and sell for peanuts but that doesn’t recoup money forked out previously.

But for those that still don’t understand - this isn’t FIFA football game.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

When decent championship layers are going for £25m, it does not surprise me that we have struggled to bring in that creative talent. We just don't seem to have the funds. Obviously we don't want to just sign a player unless we think they will cut it, but if we had no money I thought we might take O'Hare on a free. There is still time to strengthen.

That's the type of person I thought we would go for. I'm not saying go for people we can't afford but we'd have to take a bit of a gamble maybe like BBD. 

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

We know we have got £15m to spend...plus whatever we get for Onuachu and ABK, assuming those deals get done.  Whether that's enough to sign a talented attacker, I am not sure.

Didn't we bid 20 million for Liam Delap? 

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Players like Onuachu will be gone before the end of the window one way or another. It’s just a lot of stalling so each side thinks they’re getting the best deal possible.

It’s stalling and mind games, not a bad thing, from either side. 
If you hold out you run the risk of being stuck with them and not moving them on, the other club finds another target, or you do it early and sell for peanuts but that doesn’t recoup money forked out previously.

But for those that still don’t understand - this isn’t FIFA football game.

Trabzonspor have score one goal in three games. They will be back with a better offer. Not sure it will be as much as we want, but he's their target. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Didn't we bid 20 million for Liam Delap? 

No idea. If the papers say so, then perhaps we did and perhaps we have more than £15m available to spend. Excellent. We have signed Downes since then, so who knows how the budget was impacted.  

Stuffed with FFP rules and a load of players depreciating while we are unwilling to play them, injured, or cannot sell them. Mara, Sulumana, ABK, Onuachu, Stewart, Larios must be costing the club a packet Teams coming up from L1 like Ipswich tend not to have this problem, they can easily jettison low wage players and buy in carefully. 

Sadly this is the legacy of the disastrous Ralph (final season), Jones, Selles debacle. Desperate purchases that the club now have to somehow deal with.

I'm sure Mara and Sullemana will be shipped off on loan to France before long. ABK may still get a move or the insurers pay up. Stewart and Larios need to get themselves sorted and presumably sent out on loan to get some game time. That leaves Onuachu who I still believe has been badly treated by the club. The man isn't a dud and deserves a decent run out, at the very least whilst Stewart is crocked.

Relegation is almost certain this year with the present squad , I'm sure we have all accepted that and will be pleasantly surprised if the quality of Martin's football raises the team out of the relegation zone. As we should always remember Saints are in a league of 6 or 7 not 20. Its not a done deal but likely. I'm not overly bothered about that, the club is clearly planning for that eventuality with some of their deals. If Ballard and Bragg have decent loans they will be pushing for a Championship starting place in 2025. Assuming a 2nd promotion then the club will a lot more competitive next time around. The only worry is that Tyler and Sam will be sold but I guess that's the world Saints are in now.

Doesn't mean we can't enjoy the season, Saints will bloody some noses on the way as usual and Leicester, Ipswich, Forest, Everton, and Bournemouth won't be that far ahead of us.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That's the type of person I thought we would go for. I'm not saying go for people we can't afford but we'd have to take a bit of a gamble maybe like BBD. 

we got our fingers burned a little by AA not cutting it in the higher division, so maybe they just didn't see a Prem player. I liked him, but they might be right. Even on a free it int a good deal if he cant play at the this level. Thought he was a better option than Lallana though! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

No idea. If the papers say so, then perhaps we did and perhaps we have more than £15m available to spend. Excellent. We have signed Downes since then, so who knows how the budget was impacted.  

Maybe we bid more knowing that we would have to sell at least one player before the end of the window to afford it. You would think for o'riley if he really does go for 25 million that we probably could afford it if it was realistic that he would come to us so you'd imagine he would prefer Atalanta 

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

we got our fingers burned a little by AA not cutting it in the higher division, so maybe they just didn't see a Prem player. I liked him, but they might be right. Even on a free it int a good deal if he cant play at the this level. Thought he was a better option than Lallana though! 

Lallana is one of those signings that we may look back on once relegated and wonder what on earth we were thinking. I hope not but at the moment it is turning out like many feared it would. Might not even get ten games out of him this year which would mean he's simply taking up space in the squad. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

Enough please for a goalkeeper who will dominate his area, catch crosses and give fans a little confidence. Its going to be a tough season, my weekend mood and my blood pressure will be helped if we have confidence in our goalkeeper.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Leeds are fucked.

Woukd have been us had one game gone the wrong way. Yeah it's a bit shit that we will most likely go back down and can't really compete financially but at least we get another season and some breathing room to try again. If Leeds aren't up, this year then they are basically gone and are having their squad stripped of any existing talent. 

• Like 2

Not that I don’t think it’s going to be Atalanta, but that’s them out the O’Riley run.

I wonder if we could somehow get Evan Ferguson on loan with all the attacking options they have now? Optimistic maybe, and even then there’s plenty of questions about his fitness. I like the look of him for this system however, very good with the ball.

• Like 1

Just now, SambaMaverick said:

They are going to be held over a barrel in these last two weeks. 

Yeah, everyone will know they need to replace to key players.

I would expect them to target Sammie Szmodics now at least.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Woukd have been us had one game gone the wrong way. [snip]

Would it?

granted we’d have lost Downes and THB but neither would have been ours at that point anyway.

I guess KWP would have been picked off but I’d have thought he’d have been gone by now anyway yet he still remains here with no obvious suitors currently. Perhaps we would have been forced to settle for a much lower fee had we missed out on promotion though.

Who else would we have been stripped of?

Leeds have saleable assets, Summerville, Rutter, Gnonto, perhaps even James. I can’t really think of any of our squad who would have been that appealing to bigger clubs right now?

Just now, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

Would it?

granted we’d have lost Downes and THB but neither would have been ours at that point anyway.

I guess KWP would have been picked off but I’d have thought he’d have been gone by now anyway yet he still remains here with no obvious suitors currently. Perhaps we would have been forced to settle for a much lower fee had we missed out on promotion though.

Leeds have saleable assets, Summerville, Rutter, Gnonto, perhaps even James. I can’t really think of any of our squad who would have been that appealing to bigger clubs right now?

We'd have lost Macca, KWP, THB, Bednarek, Downes, Alcaraz, Stuey, Armstrong, Adams. I'd suggest we'd be very much in shit creek too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

Would it?

Kwp, Adams, Alcaraz, Bednarek, Downes. That's basically half our team. Would have left us with 

McCarthy 

Bree Stephens Woods? Manning 

Charles Smallbone 

Armstrong Edozie 

Aribo 

Mara

Which is shite. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

We'd have lost Macca, KWP, THB, Bednarek, Downes, Alcaraz, Stuey, Armstrong, Adams. I'd suggest we'd be very much in shit creek too.

THB and Downes weren’t ours to lose. I get what you’re saying in that the team would no longer have them but they wouldn’t be asset stripped from us as they weren’t our assets.

We lost Stuey and Adams anyway, even though we went up.

I’m talking saleable assets which hurt to lose because they are so good but you get a decent wedge for them. KWP I’ll give you and potentially Arma and Bednarek too. Although we may have been able to hold onto Arma perhaps given his ropey Prem track record.

Aside from the last few games where, granted he was a rock, Macca didn’t do anything all last season and the same can be said for Alcaraz who featured even less. Any money we would have pulled in from sales of all of the above, especially Alcaraz you’d have liked to have think would have been pumped back in to replace the real losses to the team at CB and in midfield.

The majority of the money we would have potentially made would have come from fringe players who didn’t feature as much, if at all for us, like ABK, Alcaraz, Tall Paul and you could possibly even say Mara and Sulemana too.

Sam Amo and Dibling coming into the team would have given us a decent couple of additions too without the need to sign anyone.

Most of our asset stripping took place when the vultures originally circled when we went down, losing Tino, Lavia and JWP.

When I look at the Leeds team, I see more individuals who shone from time to time like Summerville, Rutter and Gnonto. We just seemed to have a better sum of parts output than they did whenever we faced them which led to us getting the better of them on multiple occasions.

Had we both stayed down (impossible I know) we’d have lost more players than them but they’d have gained more money from sales than us this summer I’m pretty sure.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CanadaSaint said:

I know you’re into this stuff so I’d appreciate some clarification. Wouldn’t a book loss have to end up in P&L? And if it’s in P&L, why would it not impact FFP.

Surely, “Previously undetected” doesn’t mean that it wasn’t pre-existing - it could mean that it existed but we didn’t detect it.

No, assets are Balance Sheet, not P&L. Think of Balance Sheet as the bits that affect the value of the company at a snapshot in time, and the P&L as the yearly ins and outs of money for the company. 

Insurance covers for unknown conditions - that's the point of it - it's for unforeseen issues. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Lallana is one of those signings that we may look back on once relegated and wonder what on earth we were thinking. I hope not but at the moment it is turning out like many feared it would. Might not even get ten games out of him this year which would mean he's simply taking up space in the squad. 

And wasting resources we don't have to waste. 

Let's be conservative and say he's on £60,000 a week, that's over £3million we could have tacked onto a transfer offer to get it over the line. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Kwp, Adams, Alcaraz, Bednarek, Downes. That's basically half our team. Would have left us with 

McCarthy 

Bree Stephens Woods? Manning 

Charles Smallbone 

Armstrong Edozie 

Aribo 

Mara

Which is shite. 

Yet possibly as many as six of that eleven may start at Newcastle on Saturday. 

• Sad 1

Rutter if it happens would be Brighton's 4th signing of €30m+ this summer plus the £15m or so signing of Osman who they have already loaned out to Feyenoord (imagine us signing someone for that kind of cash and not even using them this season!).

Whilst we have spent £7m on Sugawara and BBD (edit - plus obvs Downes & THB)

Brighton predicted by many to finish 10th to 12th - just shows what we are up against really and the importance of making big sales to be able to reinvest.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Let's be conservative and say he's on £60,000 a week, that's over £3million we could have tacked onto a transfer offer to get it over the line. 

Closer to half of that. He's costing us fuck all, its a mutal agreement to keep his career going and get him back into the club. He'll be on the coaching staff in the next season or 2. 

27 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Rutter if it happens would be Brighton's 4th signing of €30m+ this summer plus the £15m or so signing of Osman who they have already loaned out to Feyenoord (imagine us signing someone for that kind of cash and not even using them this season!).

Whilst we have spent £7m on Sugawara and BBD.

Brighton predicted by many to finish 10th to 12th - just shows what we are up against really and the importance of making big sales to be able to reinvest.

We’ve spent the best part of £60mil because you’re choosing to ignore THB and Downes

21 minutes ago, Dman said:

Closer to half of that. He's costing us fuck all, its a mutal agreement to keep his career going and get him back into the club. He'll be on the coaching staff in the next season or 2. 

So it should have been on  a pay as you play basis.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Not that I don’t think it’s going to be Atalanta, but that’s them out the O’Riley run.

I wonder if we could somehow get Evan Ferguson on loan with all the attacking options they have now? Optimistic maybe, and even then there’s plenty of questions about his fitness. I like the look of him for this system however, very good with the ball.

Tremendous talent. Can't see them allowing him to come here, but like your thinking.

11 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

How was that when they were above us for the vast majority of the season, Along with beating us twice, scoring more goals, conceding less, losing less, drawing less and winning more.

10 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

“The table never lies”

One game doesn’t make a season.

They were better over the course of the season, but by the end of the season there was not much in it. It's the direction of travel.

If 2 teams finish level in the table and 1 starts well and then levels off and the other starts badly  but finishes well, the team that finishes well is going to feel better about it's future prospects.

6 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Good news as that might have been, it never would have happened. No other club would take him.

Look at how difficult Reading found it to get rid of him. About the only place where he found his level as a first choice goalkeeper was Yeovil and they couldn't afford his wages now, so we'd still have to pay most of them:

Alex McCarthy's career before he ended up here:

Senior career
Years    Team    Apps    
2007–2014    Reading    70    
2007    → Woking (loan)    1    
2008    → Cambridge United (loan)    1    
2008    → Team Bath (loan)    2    
2009    → Aldershot Town (loan)    4    
2009–2010    → Yeovil Town (loan)    44    
2010    → Brentford (loan)    3    
2011–2012    → Leeds United (loan)    6    
2012    → Ipswich Town (loan)    10    
2014–2015    Queens Park Rangers    3    
2015–2016    Crystal Palace    7    

4 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Good news as that might have been, it never would have happened. No other club would take him.

Look at how difficult Reading found it to get rid of him. About the only place where he found his level as a first choice goalkeeper was Yeovil and they couldn't afford his wages now, so we'd still have to pay most of them:

Senior career
Years    Team    Apps    

We would probably have not offered him a new contract so he would have been off. 

8 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I'd rather O'Riley to Rutter, especially for the £25m Celtic are quoted to be asking. £40m is silly money

15 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Senior career
Years    Team    Apps    

100% this. Shit keeper, and the main reason we will get tonked in the early games and then confidence is shot. So remiss of the management not to rectify this. Was the main priority. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Does that even exist anymore? Haven't seen that for about 15 years. 

Jon Stark, Football Mercenary, was a match winner for hire on a game-by-game basis who used to get paid by the goal in Roy of the Rovers.

There was “No payment for a lost game” so we should sign a few on that deal, we’d be minted by the end of this season. 

Nice trousers too. 

IMG_9136.jpeg

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

They were better over the course of the season, but by the end of the season there was not much in it. It's the direction of travel.

If 2 teams finish level in the table and 1 starts well and then levels off and the other starts badly  but finishes well, the team that finishes well is going to feel better about it's future prospects.

They were better than us on every metric that matters

bizarre spinning of something going on here.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

I see Onuachu has been given a squad number. If we can't sell him (for the right price) and we're struggling to bring a striker in I'd be OK if we integrated him this season back into the side. He's a proper striker, he's fit, he can score goals as he showed last year. I'm not sure how he fits into our system but I still feel he'd be an asset. I'd like to know what he thinks about it though!

32 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Alex was out of contract in the summer and on high wages. If we hadn't gone up we'd have released him. Ironically then it's very possible we would probably have signed a better keeper than the one we're about to start the season with - Alex. 😀

As for Rutter - Leeds fans really rate him despite his lack of goals and think he's going on to big things, and he's only 22. I'm still not quite sure how him and Whittaker got into the team of the season over AA though but still. It definitely looks like Leeds are getting pulled apart. Gnonto next. I think they'll go for Jack Clarke to appease their fan base. £40 million is a lot but I think that may be good business for Brighton.

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Like I've said before, for a club on a budget they certainly love to piss money away on crocks and squad fillers. Need to concentrate on improving the starting 11 where there always seems to be the same old quality gaps. Squad fill from what's coming through the academy,worked well in the past.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Jon Stark, Football Mercenary, was a match winner for hire on a game-by-game basis who used to get paid by the goal in Roy of the Rovers.

There was “No payment for a lost game” so we should sign a few on that deal, we’d be minted by the end of this season. 

Nice trousers too. 

IMG_9136.jpeg

Get him and Leiper the keeper and we would be well set for Saturday.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I see Onuachu has been given a squad number. If we can't sell him (for the right price) and we're struggling to bring a striker in I'd be OK if we integrated him this season back into the side. He's a proper striker, he's fit, he can score goals as he showed last year. I'm not sure how he fits into our system but I still feel he'd be an asset. I'd like to know what he thinks about it though!

Alex was out of contract in the summer and on high wages. If we hadn't gone up we'd have released him. Ironically then it's very possible we would probably have signed a better keeper than the one we're about to start the season with - Alex. 😀

As for Rutter - Leeds fans really rate him despite his lack of goals and think he's going on to big things, and he's only 22. I'm still not quite sure how him and Whittaker got into the team of the season over AA though but still. It definitely looks like Leeds are getting pulled apart. Gnonto next. I think they'll go for Jack Clarke to appease their fan base. £40 million is a lot but I think that may be good business for Brighton.

At the very least Onuachu should be effective for the Wout Wghorst 1-0 down with 15 to play role.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nordic Saint said:

Senior career
Years    Team    Apps    

Wasn’t he out of contract at the end of last season?