Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

19 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

I saw that on an earlier post when I was browsing for a resource I dropped around page 160. Have not seen his name come up on twitter or google news, maybe its one of those local newspaper exclusives which means I'd have no chance of coming across it.

I've mentioned this before but Brownhill struggled a lot when the premier league opposition pressed him even though he had Berge alongside him. Jacob Horsfall a Burnley fan did a good analysis on his shortcomings under Vincent Kompany's system. With a 3 man central midfield maybe he might fare better but not convinced. 

With our budget we are not going to get the complete attacking midfielder.

18 minutes ago, saintant said:

No brainer - Josh Brownhill of Burnley. Would be perfect for us.

I've mentioned this before but Brownhill struggled a lot when the premier league opposition pressed him even though he had Berge alongside him. Jacob Horsfall a Burnley fan did a good analysis on his shortcomings under Vincent Kompany's system. With a 3 man central midfield maybe he might not get as exposed to the press as much but at best he would only be a maybe from me. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, saintant said:

With our budget we are not going to get the complete attacking midfielder.

I did an oopsy and forgot to send the reply and then deleted it and reposted it, apologies there.  
I see your point about quality possibly being not attainable with our budget situation, but is he a big enough improvement on our current midfield so much so that it would be worth paying 15m? Is he better than Sem Steijn who scored 17 goals in the Eredivisie last season and may be obtainable for around 10m euros? He's another player we should be taking a serious look at. 

Edited by V.Johnathan.Wilson

https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/beim-medizincheck-bundesliga-wechsel-von-dfb-verteidiger-ueberraschend-geplatzt 

According to BILD information, the second transfer of a defender to Bundesliga club TSG Hoffenheim has fallen through within 24 hours.

After Salzburg defender Oumar Solet (24), German international Armel Bella-Kotchap (22) from FC Southampton also failed the medical. According to BILD information, Bella-Kotchap is said to be suffering from a heart problem. The transfer of Solet fell through due to a serious knee injury.

When asked by BILD, Hoffenheim did not want to comment on the status of negotiations with Bella-Kotchap. The transfer was supposed to have taken place on Tuesday evening for a transfer fee of 15 million euros.

The transfer of another French central defender, Étienne Youté Kinkoué (22/Le Havre), to Hoffenheim did not materialize at the last moment.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DT said:

Oh crap

Bella-Kotchap’s £12.8m move to Hoffenheim is at risk of collapsing, after issues arose during his medical — the deal is not 100% off at this stage, with all parties involved trying to find a solution #saintsfc @Plettigoal

Failed his medical due to a heart problem

30 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

No, it now and always has hinged on us raising additional funds (see ABK).

Genuine question... If he is that highlighly rated, if we spend £30m on him and we go down, surely we'd easily recoup our money on him anyway...

4 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/beim-medizincheck-bundesliga-wechsel-von-dfb-verteidiger-ueberraschend-geplatzt 

According to BILD information, the second transfer of a defender to Bundesliga club TSG Hoffenheim has fallen through within 24 hours.

After Salzburg defender Oumar Solet (24), German international Armel Bella-Kotchap (22) from FC Southampton also failed the medical. According to BILD information, Bella-Kotchap is said to be suffering from a heart problem. The transfer of Solet fell through due to a serious knee injury.

When asked by BILD, Hoffenheim did not want to comment on the status of negotiations with Bella-Kotchap. The transfer was supposed to have taken place on Tuesday evening for a transfer fee of 15 million euros.

The transfer of another French central defender, Étienne Youté Kinkoué (22/Le Havre), to Hoffenheim did not materialize at the last moment.

Oh dear.

I suggest the player, Saints and his agent are not happy this info has been leaked! Financially Catastrophic for all concerned , notwithstanding the most important thing his health.

I wonder who do our medicals , as if something like is missed and add to some other iffy signings!!!

3 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

A heart problem that has manifested itself since he signed for us or was it there previously and we didn’t pick it up? 

In defence of our much maligned medical team, wouldn't he have had a medical at PSV last year ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Just a thought that we might like to consider recruiting the Hoffenheim medical team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, trousers said:

Wasn't this lad touted as "the next big thing" coming out of the academy a couple of years ago...?

Yep, believe he was, just goes to show it’s fine margins when you see talent at such a young age.

25 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

high quality what a pisser GIF

Interesting that RM is still using 'right now' as the qualifier. Hopefully he knows something we don't but seems like Atalanta are ready to wrap it up in the next couple of days and the ABK stuff may cause us to miss out if so

talkSPORT interviewed Russell Martin today:

- 'nowhere near' bringing Ryan Fraser back as it stands
- 'not in the race right now' re: making an acceptable bid to Celtic Matt O'Riley
- Kyle Walker-Peters has received a new contract offer

"We have to do it [the transfer market] in our own means and make sure we're sustainable. I knew that when I signed a new contract, so it's not like I'm sitting here frustrated. I'm relaxed about it because I think we will end up doing business that we're quite happy with."

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Officially not in the race right now for o'riley according to Martin. At least we have that official and can move on. 

Assuming football clubs and/or their managers are never economical with the truth, of course.... ;)

Edited by trousers

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Interesting that we were expecting "one or two" before the opening game but Fraser is nowhere near and currently out of the running for O'Riley.

Other options close or just bollocks as per?

Sounds like the “yeah we tried and tried to find answers but it just didn’t happen for us and so we go with what we’ve got” line will be spun in the not too distant future.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

- 'not in the race right now' re: making an acceptable bid to Celtic Matt O'Riley

"We have to do it [the transfer market] in our own means and make sure we're sustainable. I knew that when I signed a new contract, so it's not like I'm sitting here frustrated. I'm relaxed about it because I think we will end up doing business that we're quite happy with."

Yeah, I'd heard that about Fraser (hence why he's not mentioned in the CoT thread). As said last week I think KWP is staying for at least this season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If Bournemouth are loaning Mamardashvili, that is one less suitor for Ramsdale. Ajax loan rejected and Arsenal still saying they want a sale but can see a loan happening before the end of the window. Wonder if we are still in the race ‘right now, for that one?

13 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Re-signing KWP on a new contract to play LWB would be a boost at this stage. Not sure it will happen though and if it did I’m not sure where that would leave Taylor 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Sounds like the “yeah we tried and tried to find answers but it just didn’t happen for us and so we go with what we’ve got” line will be spun in the not too distant future.

Yep, its going to be a long, hard and most likely a very grim season

15 minutes ago, trousers said:

Assuming football clubs and/or their managers are never economical with the truth, of course.... ;)

these quotes we hear year on year and so Im surprised that we are surprised lol

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Any chance you have a link to listen back to the full interview?

25 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Russ is sitting there, frustrated, thinking "it better not be like that window at Swansea, when we got nothing done." 🙂

I’m expecting a loan starting goalie and a wide attacking squad player - also on loan.

The first proviso is we keep Charlie and Shea. If either go I’d expect replacements. 

Second proviso is if we actually manage to sell BK and Paul - then an additional MOR type quality AMF can be bought. Probably from a euro league at a third the price of MOR. 

Just now, warsash saint said:

How can it be so difficult to resign Fraser??  I guess he's being a greedy ****?!

Or maybe Howe is purposely holding things up so he doesn't get to play against them in the opening game....?

1 minute ago, warsash saint said:

How can it be so difficult to resign Fraser??  I guess he's being a greedy ****?!

It seems like he wants a full pay-off for the final year of his deal.

I don't blame him I guess? But the priority to get that done rather than being here for preseason/the opening games has pushed me from wanting him back as a squad player to not being remotely fussed.

• Like 1