Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

10 minutes ago, 64saint said:

Looks like we've been the busiest club in the transfer window.   Just trying to work out who all twelve are 🤔

IMG_20240814_105319.jpg

So that averages out at £4.75mil per transfer … skewed by the freebies but comparatively it helps illustrate a little the challenge we face.

• Like 1

So we have signed 12 players (allegedly - I can’t think who they all are) but we will kick the season off with possibly only 2 new starters from last seasons side. BBD and Taylor. Yes, yes I get that we spent £35 million securing THB and Downes, but that means we have spent £22 million on another 10 players…

Quantity over quality at its finest. Fingers crossed we get some quality loan signings in, else our shopping in Poundland will only end with one outcome sadly. 
🤞 3 quality loan signings who are first team starters change the odds of survival a bit more in our favour…

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Is it? How many goals does JWP score from inside the box? I think most of smallbones goals are almost Frank Lampard like. 

More than he scores from outside the box. 

According to Wiki, including youngsters we've signed we've actually made 15 signings:

1 July 2024 DF England Taylor Harwood-Bellis England Manchester City Undisclosed [1][2]
1 July 2024 MF England Adam Lallana England Brighton & Hove Albion Free transfer [3]
1 July 2024 DF England Charlie Taylor England Burnley Free transfer [4]
3 July 2024 DF England Ronnie Edwards England Peterborough United Undisclosed [5]
5 July 2024 DF England Nathan Wood Wales Swansea City Undisclosed [6]
14 July 2024 DF Japan Yukinari Sugawara Netherlands AZ Alkmaar Undisclosed [7]
16 July 2024 MF England Flynn Downes England West Ham United Undisclosed [8]
20 July 2024 GK England Khiani Shombe England Lewisham Borough Free transfer [9]
21 July 2024 MF England Brook Myers England Charlton Athletic Free transfer [10]
30 July 2024 FW Chile Ben Brereton Díaz Spain Villarreal Undisclosed [11]
30 July 2024 MF Japan Kuryu Matsuki Japan FC Tokyo Undisclosed [12]
5 August 2025 MF Republic of Ireland Romeo Akachukwu Republic of Ireland Waterford Undisclosed [13]
1 January 2025 FW Brazil Juan Brazil São Paulo Free transfer [14]
1 January 2025 DF Brazil Welington Brazil São Paulo Free transfer [14]
12 March 2025 FW Japan Rento Takaoka Japan Nissho Gakuen High School Undisclosed [15]
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

According to Wiki, including youngsters we've signed we've actually made 15 signings:

1 July 2024 DF England Taylor Harwood-Bellis England Manchester City Undisclosed [1][2]
1 July 2024 MF England Adam Lallana England Brighton & Hove Albion Free transfer [3]
1 July 2024 DF England Charlie Taylor England Burnley Free transfer [4]
3 July 2024 DF England Ronnie Edwards England Peterborough United Undisclosed [5]
5 July 2024 DF England Nathan Wood Wales Swansea City Undisclosed [6]
14 July 2024 DF Japan Yukinari Sugawara Netherlands AZ Alkmaar Undisclosed [7]
16 July 2024 MF England Flynn Downes England West Ham United Undisclosed [8]
20 July 2024 GK England Khiani Shombe England Lewisham Borough Free transfer [9]
21 July 2024 MF England Brook Myers England Charlton Athletic Free transfer [10]
30 July 2024 FW Chile Ben Brereton Díaz Spain Villarreal Undisclosed [11]
30 July 2024 MF Japan Kuryu Matsuki Japan FC Tokyo Undisclosed [12]
5 August 2025 MF Republic of Ireland Romeo Akachukwu Republic of Ireland Waterford Undisclosed [13]
1 January 2025 FW Brazil Juan Brazil São Paulo Free transfer [14]
1 January 2025 DF Brazil Welington Brazil São Paulo Free transfer [14]
12 March 2025 FW Japan Rento Takaoka Japan Nissho Gakuen High School Undisclosed [15]

Of those 15, only one can be said to improve last season's starting 11 .. Ben Brereton Diaz (possibly Charlie Taylor)

• Southampton beat Arsenal to Norwich City player

• Norwich City youngster Oli Newman is set to make the switch to Southampton amid interest from Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Brighton.

•  
  • Southampton are keen on Christos Mandas who could cost in the region of £17m. 
  • Southampton are interested in signing Lazio and Greece goalkeeper 

Jeff Stelling tips Southampton for Premier League survival

Stelling said: “My overachiever I think will finish fourth-bottom – Southampton.

“We know which way they are going to play. They have done well.

“They have got Flynn Downes back at the club. They brought in Adam Lallana for experience. I like Ben Brereton Diaz as well. I think Ben Brereton Diaz will get you goals.

“And they have got a bit of experience with Charlie Taylor who knows what it is like to be in a dogfight down at the bottom of the Premier League. They brought him in as well.

“I just think they might have enough about them.”

Premier League survival the only goal for Southampton this season.

It will be refreshing for Southampton fans to hear a pundit back their club for safety this season, with many making sweeping generalisations about Martin’s style of play.

Comparisons to Burnley are rife, with the fact the Turf Moor club made huge changes to the side that actually got them promoted ignored.

Martin has established a more settled environment, with only two of the players who started in the last friendly of pre-season against Getafe new arrivals this summer.

That is no slight on the Saints either, as the first season for any club in the Premier League is only about one thing and that is securing a second campaign in the division.

is Jb out this summer?

Southampton linked with Nordsjaelland defender Adamo Nagalo
Given the wealth of options Southampton have in defence, you would think the club would be focusing all their attention on attacking recruits for the remainder of the window.

However, this does not appear to necessarily be the case, with the Saints always on the lookout for young talent regardless of position.

That constant search looks to have taken them to Denmark, with Southampton reportedly one of a number of clubs showing interest in NordsJaelland centre-back Adamo Nagalo.

https://www.southamptonfc.news/news/rasmus-ankersen-explains-why-southampton-and-goztepe-both-benefit-from-sport-republic-ownership/

a funny for the follically challenged.......

https://www.thesquareball.net/leeds-united/proposal-bring-in-the-baldies/

Wembley. The atmosphere is bad, Leeds always lose and you can’t really see anything. I can’t do much about the first two. But it turns out there is one thing that pretty much always stands out on a football pitch. A bald bonce.

As Will Smallbone was busy making a mockery of a Leeds midfield that he by turns bullied, outthought and outran, he stood out not just because of his performance but because he, well, stood out. Nobody in a Leeds shirt could match his invention, calm or creativity, but more importantly none of them looked nearly as distinctive or impressive while (not) doing it.

Smallbone has alopecia and has spoken movingly about his struggles since being diagnosed. I don’t in any way mean to mock him here, but there’s no doubt his is a distinctive look in modern football. It’s hard to pinpoint one reason for this. A possible explanation is what I’m calling ‘Archie Gray’s Safeguarding Plan’. Modern football is increasingly populated by teenagers given their chance in the first team without the need to spend half a decade as a glorified shoeshine first. As a consequence merely of their youth, fewer are bald.

Roy Keane thinks Southampton will cause an upset at Newcastle on Saturday

Keane simply said: “I think Southampton surprise everyone. Southampton 2-1.”

Edited by BERMUDASAINT
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

One less club interested in Ramsdale potentially.

It also potentially adds Caoimhin Kelleher to the GK merry-go-round that's about to start in a few days!

Aaron Ramsdale

Sam Johnston

Caoimhin Kelleher

Jose Sa (If Ramsdale goes to Wolves)

5 of the 8 GK's Chelsea have

Anyone else?

6 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

Of those 15, only one can be said to improve last season's starting 11 .. Ben Brereton Diaz (possibly Charlie Taylor)

Yeah BBD and Taylor (unless KWP stays) - Sugawara comes with good reviews and has had a good pre-season so there's hope there. It does look like we're rebuilding with one eye on the future rather than the present. 

I'm glad we managed to get Downes though - while it's the League below we could see how important he was to the way we played. THB we knew we were getting if we went up but that's a key signing too but I appreciate both were here last season. We do still need 3/4 first teamers though if we want to avoid relegation this season.

7 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:
  •  

• Southampton are keen on Christos Mandas who could cost in the region of £17m. 
  • Southampton are interested in signing Lazio and Greece goalkeeper 

Jeff Stelling tips Southampton for Premier League survival

Stelling said: “My overachiever I think will finish fourth-bottom – Southampton.

“We know which way they are going to play. They have done well.

I've always liked Jeff Stelling.

I never pay much attention to who we're rumoured to be interested in, but I watched this video of Mandas and if these are his career highlights, for 17m? No thanks.

https://x.com/SaintsSocialite/status/1822550843524001938

• Like 1

Oh crap

Bella-Kotchap’s £12.8m move to Hoffenheim is at risk of collapsing, after issues arose during his medical — the deal is not 100% off at this stage, with all parties involved trying to find a solution #saintsfc @Plettigoal

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Marsdinho said:

It also potentially adds Caoimhin Kelleher to the GK merry-go-round that's about to start in a few days!

Aaron Ramsdale

Sam Johnston

Caoimhin Kelleher

Jose Sa (If Ramsdale goes to Wolves)

5 of the 8 GK's Chelsea have

Anyone else?

Could potentially add Neto to this list depending on what Bournemouth do and he would be the one to get, just as they took advantage of signing Boruc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DT said:

Oh crap

Bella-Kotchap’s £12.8m move to Hoffenheim is at risk of collapsing, after issues arose during his medical — the deal is not 100% off at this stage, with all parties involved trying to find a solution #saintsfc @Plettigoal

Well everyone said he was made of glass now he could go and shatter our entire transfer dealings for the rest of this window.

12 minutes ago, DT said:

Oh crap

Loan fee with obligation to buy after certain number of games?

At least saves wages but think that’s us about £10m down on transfer fees

14 minutes ago, DT said:

Oh crap

Why am I not surprised by this?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DT said:

Oh crap

If he has to retire do we even get an insurance payout? 😀

Hopefully this still goes through. Might just be Hoffenheim trying to save themselves a few quid.

23 minutes ago, DT said:

Oh crap

Doctor did the reflex tap on his knee and it shattered !  We all knew he was made of glass x

• Haha 1

Bild reporter suggested heart issues - which if true is a.) not really something that should be in the public domain and b.) purely from a Saints perspective a disaster in terms of selling him on a favourable deal.

Fingers crossed its a minor issue that can be resolved otherwise big consequences.

1 hour ago, vectraman said:

So we have signed 12 players (allegedly - I can’t think who they all are) but we will kick the season off with possibly only 2 new starters from last seasons side. BBD and Taylor. Yes, yes I get that we spent £35 million securing THB and Downes, but that means we have spent £22 million on another 10 players…

Quantity over quality at its finest. Fingers crossed we get some quality loan signings in, else our shopping in Poundland will only end with one outcome sadly. 
🤞 3 quality loan signings who are first team starters change the odds of survival a bit more in our favour…

Agree 100 percent .. people try to use our netspend as we are competing and spending money .. in my book buying a bunch of cheap squad filler players or players we can loan to goztepe is not competing at all .. anything over 20m or 100 k wages we get a nosebleed whilst for  the rest of the league it’s normal 

• Like 2

The plot thickens.Italian media says Atalanta just swooped in at last minute to sign Marco Brescianini on a loan with obligation to buy. £1m and £11m. Versatile cmf. 6ft+. Supposedly a cover for when koopmeiners leaves.  
But that’s meant to be O’Riley. Unless they want two? Or unless they ditching project O’Riley leaving him to us?

They also just bid €25m for MOR ( £21.4M) on a 5 yr contract. Greedy. 🤔

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

The plot thickens.Italian media says Atalanta just swooped in at last minute to sign Marco Brescianini on a loan with obligation to buy. £1m and £11m. Versatile cmf. 6ft+. Supposedly a cover for when koopmeiners leaves.  
But that’s meant to be O’Riley. Unless they want two? Or unless they ditching project O’Riley leaving him to us?

They also just bid €25m for MOR ( £21.4M) on a 5 yr contract. Greedy. 🤔

We won't be signing O'Riley because he is way above our price range.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Bild reporter suggested heart issues - which if true is a.) not really something that should be in the public domain and b.) purely from a Saints perspective a disaster in terms of selling him on a favourable deal.

Fingers crossed its a minor issue that can be resolved otherwise big consequences.

That's crap but if true surely covered by insurance? 

According to German publications [ translated to English ]  there is an issue with his medical,allegedly, a previously undetected heart issue,apparently the shoulder is fine. Hopefully this can be resolved and the player is fine. A bit worrying if our transfer budget is dependent on the deal.

20 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Weren't we linked with Rutter? 

I saw that on an earlier post when I was browsing for a resource I dropped around page 160. Have not seen his name come up on twitter or google news, maybe its one of those local newspaper exclusives which means I'd have no chance of coming across it.

Edited by V.Johnathan.Wilson

Enough of the disappointment of losing out on o'riley. Much more interesting to discuss potential alternatives. Quite a few of the suggested attacking midfielders don't have much of a goalscoring record. Maybe it's better to get a decent striker in and trust that BBD, Armstrong and the new striker will get enough with Aribo and a new AM helping to set them up. 

• Haha 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Enough of the disappointment of losing out on o'riley. Much more interesting to discuss potential alternatives. Quite a few of the suggested attacking midfielders don't have much of a goalscoring record. Maybe it's better to get a decent striker in and trust that BBD, Armstrong and the new striker will get enough with Aribo and a new AM helping to set them up. 

Are we getting a new striker then? First I've heard. We need one but we've been saying that for what seems like eternity.

• Like 1