Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Always amazes me when people use the word 'coup' when discussing players coming to a club.

It is likely the word is never used by people ever in their lives apart from in football.

Just found it funny, keeps cropping up.

No offence to anyone specifically who has used it btw...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Hope we aren't limiting ourselves to the UK for our C option cause we'll struggle to find value for money if we do. 

Carlos kickaballs signing at the eleventh hour from Costa Rica. Heard it here first. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Bob60 said:

Funny isn't it how opinions of a player differ when we all watch the same games. 

To me he always turns back and passed back, rarely creates anything and constantly slowed our play down. Would be the first player I would replace.

Couldn’t disagree more he is the one midfielder that does go forward and takes people on. He is the only one with any strength and doesn’t just gift it.

Scored some valuable goals and I celebrated that one at Brum like mad 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Saints Socialite made the post on it as well and just deleted it a few minutes ago. I don't know what to make of that.

Edit: Seems like tweet is back up but referring to a different source.

deleted the apparent RM bite at Blackmore as well

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

Couldn’t disagree more he is the one midfielder that does go forward and takes people on. He is the only one with any strength and doesn’t just gift it.

Scored some valuable goals and I celebrated that one at Brum like mad 

Agreed, he's very understated on and off the pitch. He could've just chucked it in and collected a wage when he fell out of favour but he's worked hard to make himself important again.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Hope we aren't limiting ourselves to the UK for our C option cause we'll struggle to find value for money if we do. 

I saw on X this morning Ben Sheaf at Coventry linked 

ps

🚨 #SaintsFC and Ipswich are interested in Coventry midfielder Ben Sheaf. 

[via @ThatCovPod]

Edited by Give it to Ron

17 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Always amazes me when people use the word 'coup' when discussing players coming to a club.

It is likely the word is never used by people ever in their lives apart from in football.

Military coup is a phrase that comes to mind...

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

'The proof is in the pudding' does my head in.

• Like 1

I think plan C should be Tyler Dibling. I know I know… he’s only twelve and we’ve had plenty of false dawns before (paging Alex Jankewitz - please report to the transfer window thread). But he looks like the real deal to me - if him and Charlie mean we can keep our AM money in our pocket we can spend on a keeper and a number 9, as well as Wee Man and the Dortmund wonderkid. Let’s go. 

Edited by LaptopSaint
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, miserableoldgit said:

I would count KWP staying as a success. We know what we get with him. Sell him and spend the money on a gamble signing?

I agree but we seem to have done our best to freeze him out this pre-season. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, LaptopSaint said:

I think plan C should be Tyler Dibling. I know I know… he’s only twelve and we’ve had plenty of false dawns before (paging Alex Jankewitz - please report to the transfer window thread). But he looks like the real deal to me - if him and Charlie mean we can keep our AM money in our pocket we can spend on a keeper and a number 9, as well as Wee Man and the Dortmund wonderkid. Let’s go. 

Our survival hopes can't be on a young player with almost no appearances. He is best served by being a backup option and see if he can force himself into contention. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LaptopSaint said:

I’m sure Everton fans said the same about a 16 year old Wayne Rooney. Was it Alan Hansen who said you’ll never stay up with kids? 

Mumble mumble mark wotte and Jan portvliet mumble mumble. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Putting two and two together I think Carvalho was the Plan B to O'Riley.

I wonder who Plan C is...

It will be Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, if only to keep Lallana and Stewart company in the treatment room

So Wan Bissaka confirmed to Wham - feels like KWP will stay then. Interesting to me as I am a big proponent of the potential 5-2-3, 3-4-3 we could play with roaming full backs - KWP on the left and Sugar on the right. Feels exciting to have those two bombing forward with 3 strikers (if we get another in - if not a very advanced midfielder to break into the box late) to get on the end of the balls in.

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Also Royal leaving Spurs frees up a position in their squad for a versatile full back…

They have Porro and Spence on the right. Easily forgotten is Archie Gray who they've spent a hefty fee on early this summer.

Udogie, Van de Ven, Davies & Reguilon (likely off on loan again though) that can play on the left.

I'm not convinced Spurs is a viable option for KWP

Edited by Saint Scott
Grammar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Used in business, especially when getting new clients is a couple.

Or in events management when getting a celebrity to attend an event is a coup.

Terminology is being used correctly.

3 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Used in business, especially when getting new clients is a couple.

Or in events management when getting a celebrity to attend an event is a coup.

Terminology is being used correctly.

Or when driving in Scotland and you see a member of a bovine species...

Oh wait, that's "coo!"...

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Im hearing Cameron Archer on loan. 

He would be a great signing. However, didn’t Villa technically just buy him back and therefore having transferred him into the PL this window, they can’t then loan out to a PL team in the same window?

Edited by goodymatt

8 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Im hearing Cameron Archer on loan. 

Woukd that be particularly good? Scored naff all last year and alongside Bereton Diaz conspired to leave United bottom. I'd suggest we would be better off trying something else

1 hour ago, LaptopSaint said:

I’m sure Everton fans said the same about a 16 year old Wayne Rooney. Was it Alan Hansen who said you’ll never stay up with kids? 

What he said was 'You'll never win anything with kids'----and then Man Utd won the treble, with kids.

Not sure about Archer at all. Had this from May:

In a season where we have signed Traore, Larouchi, Thomas and Grbic, Cameron Archer has managed to be the worst of the lot.

A simply pathetic and embarrassing performance from him today today - worst I’ve ever seen from a forward. Lazy, slow, getting drawn into the ball and cramping the room we have to play, complete lack of movement in the box, not hitting space, not making an effort at the back post, not challenging for loose balls, not closing down, terrible in possession losing it every time. Completely disinterested.

Don’t let the fucking door hit you on your way out

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure about Archer at all. Had this from May:

In a season where we have signed Traore, Larouchi, Thomas and Grbic, Cameron Archer has managed to be the worst of the lot.

A simply pathetic and embarrassing performance from him today today - worst I’ve ever seen from a forward. Lazy, slow, getting drawn into the ball and cramping the room we have to play, complete lack of movement in the box, not hitting space, not making an effort at the back post, not challenging for loose balls, not closing down, terrible in possession losing it every time. Completely disinterested.

Don’t let the fucking door hit you on your way out

Him and Mara would finally give us the cutting edge we've been waiting for.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

He would be a great signing. However, didn’t Villa technically just buy him back and therefore having transferred him into the PL this window, they can’t then loan out to a PL team in the same window?

It looks like they've signed him again, but unless he's been registered with United this season as well, I think he can be registered elsewhere to play. Regardless, I'm not excited by having him. 

Just now, Miltonaggro said:

Him and Mara would finally give us the cutting edge we've been waiting for.

Yep. He feels very Mara esque to me. That said, if I had to pick this lad or Mara, I'd take this lad simply on the basis that I don't want to see Mara near our team again. 

• Like 1