Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Everyone likes the excitement of new players and seeing how they will perform. With just 1 new attacking signing and the only other new players being full backs, it feels rather like a continuation of last season which isn't overly thrilling. 

Last season was great - would love this season to be similar. 

Sadly it won't though, cos the Premier League is a crock of shit. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

If Aribo has been our most improved player, then we are doomed.

I’ve watched or been at every pre season match and from what I’ve seen he’s the most improved first teamer. 
It’s largely because he relatively underwhelmed last year rather than he’s become a superstar though and is ( finally) just coming up to ( my) expectation levels for him and his role.
That’s what I meant by most improved player. He is not our best player by any yardstick. All our other first teamers played pretty much like id expect. Maybe Jack surprised last match but otherwise- Joe made biggest jump for me. And Tyler obviously was / is the star of pre season. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LeG said:

Atalanta are about to sell Koopmeiners for £50m and when they do, they'll be back for MOR. Celtic know it. MOR knows it and so do saints. There's still a chance but I imagine weve moved on. Everyone is waiting for a pay day.

Yes, this was said weeks ago just after Saints briefed via the daily echo they were unlikely to get him. It’s bizarre fans have held onto this, mainly thanks to weirdos pretending to be ITK on here and Blackmore mentioning it at the same time as mentioning Carvalho just hours before he agreed a move elsewhere.

46 minutes ago, Dman said:

If he really was our no1 target we should have paid the money to get it done before a bigger club came sniffing. 

At our poisiton in the food chain, we need to move fast, we can't afford to play the long game... bitten on the arse over (releatively speaking) peanuts... again.. 

‘In our position of the food chain but totally defy the whole concept of a food chain’ is a hell of a stupid post 😂

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

If Aribo has been our most improved player, then we are doomed.

Funnily Enough Aribo was pretty good for us in the first few games he played for us. Ralph, Jones and then Selles combined coached all of that out of him. I would be happy if we could get him back in the ballpark of the player he was when he first joined over this season.

• Like 1

Aribo is an odd player - he does a lot without looking like eh does anything. His control and ability to make space where there is none is Zidane-esque and very important when we are trying to keep the ball.

Sadly the rest of his game is not Zidane-esque. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Dman said:

If he really was our no1 target we should have paid the money to get it done before a bigger club came sniffing. 

At our poisiton in the food chain, we need to move fast, we can't afford to play the long game... bitten on the arse over (releatively speaking) peanuts... again.. 

Our #1 target was Flynn... and rightly so. Followed up by Sugawara. Both positions were higher priorities than another attacking midfielder. I'd argue BBD was a more important signing as well. We've made 4 good signings (when you include THB) all of which were more important than an attacking midfielder. And whilst were on the subject, i'd rather we sign a GK and probably a striker first as well.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MarkSFC said:

Aaron Ramsdale is a decent keeper for sure, but clearly Arteta saw something he didn't like and brought in Reya. What could that be? Is it ARs ability with his feet or his speed of thought or something else. When you play a system that involves the keeper using their feet alot, they need goo skills and speedy thought processes to handle the press and this is not something most keeper will have grown up experiencing. 

He only played 11 games last season, 6 in the PL, so is that a problem? I would be very happy if we get him permanently or on loan but he might not hit the ground running. If not him, we sure need someone else and having listened to RM last night I believe we are actively pursuing a GK (and others) but he said it at least twice, that we want players we want, not just anyone. My guess is AR is number GK choice but we will obviously have one or two options, so we will play the waiting game like it always happens. 

Raya is statistically a better shot stopper and offers more valuable passes. Ramsdale is still a good keeper though

9 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Our #1 target was Flynn... and rightly so. Followed up by Sugawara. Both positions were higher priorities than another attacking midfielder. I'd argue BBD was a more important signing as well. We've made 4 good signings (when you include THB) all of which were more important than an attacking midfielder. And whilst were on the subject, i'd rather we sign a GK and probably a striker first as well.

I have this feeling that it’s not going to be an out and out striker but rather a winger that scores goals. Who we may try to convert into Thierry Henry.

Probably a very short winger if you put me on the spot. 😂

Edited by gio1saints

9 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Aribo is an odd player - he does a lot without looking like eh does anything. His control and ability to make space where there is none is Zidane-esque and very important when we are trying to keep the ball.

Sadly the rest of his game is not Zidane-esque. 

i think he's better than a lot give him credit for. Sadly a lot of people are still in the mindset that a player is only good if they run around a lot, Aribo is a big, strong, technically very good player. He's not a world beater by any means but he's still good to have in the squad. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Edwards will prove to be a very good signing too, wont be an immediate starter but over the next couple of years will prove to be a very good bit of business. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Also Royal leaving Spurs frees up a position in their squad for a versatile full back…

They still have Spence who has been re-integrated into the fold this pre-season.

Poro and Spence at their RB's. If something happens with Spence nearer the window we may end up with a late bid, but there comes a point where it's too late I think.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I have this feeling that it’s not going to be an out and out striker but rather a winger that scores goals. Who we may try to convert into Thierry Henry.

Ryan Smith?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

But we have AA on the right and BBD on the left, so one of them will need to be left out. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

But we have AA on the right and BBD on the left, so one of them will need to be left out. 

If Fraser comes back I wouldn’t be surprised to see him start at LWB in some games, as he did in the Play off final. Would leave room for BBD and Armstrong. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I am curious as to how you think Brighton got their money... 

Their owner for one. They also had a better recruiting system and didnt throw away money when they sold prime assets. Very shrewd outfit

6 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

If Fraser comes back I wouldn’t be surprised to see him start at LWB in some games, as he did in the Play off final. Would leave room for BBD and Armstrong. 

Yep, we'd play 5 at the back, but we still need a forward to play through the centre. 

• Haha 1

🚨🇬🇪 Liverpool are seriously considering opportunity to sign Giorgi Mamardashvili for fee in excess of €30m for Valencia and then loan him out.

No final decision yet but talks continue, it’s up to Liverpool.

Georgian GK keen on move to #LFC with loan next, as @relevo reported.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

I think this is how we will start majority of away matches. 

As for who is in the centre- I’d expect RM would say that if we’d attacked from the left then it would be AA and if we’d attack from the right it’d be BBD.

The MF is expected to arrive in the penalty area / box. 

When and if RM starts playing Tyler and Charlie I expect them to play as false nine in an ostensibly more attacking ( but not necessarily more winning) line up than the Back 5 which as you say served us well last game of season. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

No idea about if he would want to go there but if reports are believed he would be open to coming to us so he can't be that picky! Yes they will have the funds after the Solanke sale. 

Seems they're looking to spend a large chunk of that Solanke money on Eddie Nketiah according to Mark McAdam

2 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Seems they're looking to spend a large chunk of that Solanke money on Eddie Nketiah according to Mark McAdam

good luck to them, I personally dont rate him

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

🚨🇬🇪 Liverpool are seriously considering opportunity to sign Giorgi Mamardashvili for fee in excess of €30m for Valencia and then loan him out.

No final decision yet but talks continue, it’s up to Liverpool.

Georgian GK keen on move to #LFC with loan next, as @relevo reported.

Dont think he could be loaned here as believe Prem teams can’t sign a player then loan him to another prem team in same window.

Which is why we couldn’t sign Guiu from Chelsea on loan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Dont think he could be loaned here as believe Prem teams can’t sign a player then loan him to another prem team in same window.

Correct 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Edwards will prove to be a very good signing too, wont be an immediate starter but over the next couple of years will prove to be a very good bit of business. 

Yeah fully agree. A very tidy bit of business that one. Less sure about Wood's ultimately ceiling, but together they're a solid pair of squad centrebacks to have as backups with potential.

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

People will be shocked when Ryan fraser scores 25goals this season...

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Ah, didn’t realise that. Shame. 

8 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Cant see a Prem club buying a keeper for 30m only to loan him out to a struggling team that is likely to ship a lot of goals, thereby denting his confidence.

or the flip side is he'll get plenty of practice.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Cant see a Prem club buying a keeper for 30m only to loan him out to a struggling team that is likely to ship a lot of goals, thereby denting his confidence.

Or they'd hope he could do a decent job for 36 games against the rest of the league but they'd have 2 games where we had Macca in goal against them to boost their own goal difference?

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Is it time to just accept we aren't getting money for KWP and make him our first choice left back?

I would count KWP staying as a success. We know what we get with him. Sell him and spend the money on a gamble signing?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mattio said:

Make it loan to buy and this would be a fantastic move

Saints Socialite made the post on it as well and just deleted it a few minutes ago. I don't know what to make of that.

Edit: Seems like tweet is back up but referring to a different source.

Edited by V.Johnathan.Wilson

1 minute ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

No idea, I'd say probably the same as SaintsExtra but they seem to add their own two cents which I kinda like. 

It's just that when I switch my phone on, I more often than not, I have notifications from him and I am not sure how that happens.

Ooh Sam Johnstone loses his Palace #1 squad number and omitted from last match.  Apparently a £10M worth goalie and on £43k pw atm. Contract top 2026. 31 yrs old 6ft 4”. He is a high quality starting goalie that’s Not out of our reach. I think this is a runner as it’s been rumoured a while…🤞

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

No idea, I'd say probably the same as SaintsExtra but they seem to add their own two cents which I kinda like. 

SaintsExtra has always been a fairly decent aggregator. 

I think SaintsSocialite is a lower-than-par copycat. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Ooh Sam Johnstone loses his Palace #1 squad number and omitted from last match.  Apparently a £10M worth goalie and on £43k pw atm. Contract top 2026. 31 yrs old 6ft 4”. He is a high quality starting goalie that’s Not out of our reach. I think this is a runner as it’s been rumoured a while…🤞

13 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

image.thumb.png.c68c4edacf0f219e50ec0296b9d4ee06.png

42 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Since the Matt O'Reilly ship has sailed (most likely) will we be still in the market for a number 8-10 type player? 

Putting two and two together I think Carvalho was the Plan B to O'Riley.

I wonder who Plan C is...

4 hours ago, saintant said:

I agree with what you are saying but my issue is that nearly every time we make late signings we are pissing the money up against the wall as proved by the amount of deadwood we can't shift. It gets near deadline day and we panic buy.

I think the last few years (COVID etc) has made a lot of clubs delay their business.

This alongside the FFP constraints means clubs have to tread carefully. Or they can spend what they like but risk running a points deduction the following season.

Some of here complain about the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton etc having a larger scope of finances - well they will. It means nothing that we’ve been Premier League for the majority of time, we are now a newly promoted side, that’s our boundary and our limit.

FFP punishes new PL clubs, and benefits the ones that have been around for longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

i think he's better than a lot give him credit for. Sadly a lot of people are still in the mindset that a player is only good if they run around a lot, Aribo is a big, strong, technically very good player. He's not a world beater by any means but he's still good to have in the squad. 

Funny isn't it how opinions of a player differ when we all watch the same games. 

To me he always turns back and passed back, rarely creates anything and constantly slowed our play down. Would be the first player I would replace.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Moukoko would be a coup for the club, this guy was linked with top clubs around Europe. I think he’s had a lot of injuries in past years which probably hampered him.

Definitely not opposed to him, but given that we’re just shipping out a German in ABK would he want to join?

Sometimes it’s things as simple as that that attract players or put them off.