Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

God this window is tedious, the made up rumours seem worse than ever.

Not even excited for the first game, no buzz, no wow factor and the feeling that we will struggle to score while gifting goals to teams who press us, something that has been obvs since early last season.

We need to buy goals, scorer or creator but someone.

Everyone likes the excitement of new players and seeing how they will perform. With just 1 new attacking signing and the only other new players being full backs, it feels rather like a continuation of last season which isn't overly thrilling. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

whats happened to Banza chez ? did he go to italy in the end ?

Still at Braga. Just turned 28. Looks like clubs are passing on him.Linked with Marseilles, who just sold Vitinha (who they bought for €32m - I seem to recall there were some on here that fancied him, but he flopped) to Genoa for €16m. You wonder if that's bollocks though. Are they really going back to that well? Doubt we are interested. We will want someone already in the UK, on loan, that can hit the ground running.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Everyone likes the excitement of new players and seeing how they will perform. With just 1 new attacking signing and the only other new players being full backs, it feels rather like a continuation of last season which isn't overly thrilling. 

Perhaps not, but still looking forward to seeing those three players. A little continuity early on might not be the worst thing. Three more will come in before the window closes is my guess.

12 hours ago, Chez said:

out of interest, who would you like us to sign to fill the central striker position?

Tbh none of the strikers we're currently linked with fill me with much enthusiasm.  I'd rather we gave Tall Paul a fair crack than any of them, and that we use our budget to get Ramsdale in.  A player we know will improve us and is PL quality, in an absolute critical position 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Perhaps not, but still looking forward to seeing those three players. A little continuity early on might not be the worst thing. Three more will come in before the window closes is my guess.

I'm not saying it is the worst thing it's just not particularly exciting. The hope is the Newcastle game can be tight and we could lose narrowly with lots of positive or even nick a draw. I really hope we don't get thrashed in the opening game as that's going to knock out confidence. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Brighton moving on from O'Riley?

They were probably never in for him.

Watch O’Riley get sold for £15-20M in a couple of weeks plus add-ons.

The market is best immediately post-season and right at the end of the window.

There are some clubs that will snap your hand off towards the end of the window.

Celtic will be one of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Do you think Bournemouth have the funds to get him and would he want to go there?

They’ve now got the funds but why would he want to go to Bournemouth unless they are offering insane wages….even then it’s a hard sell

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Do you think Bournemouth have the funds to get him and would he want to go there?

No idea about if he would want to go there but if reports are believed he would be open to coming to us so he can't be that picky! Yes they will have the funds after the Solanke sale. 

10 hours ago, revolution saint said:

I've watched the first Sunderland season, the Wrexham one and the Burnley one.  Burnley was by far the worst one - seemed to concentrate on the owners far too much and almost felt like a vanity project for them.  That was my impression anyway.

Interesting, cheers bud. I've only seen the first season of Welcome to Wrexham. Maybe I'll find time to give the others a go at some point. 

47 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Arsenal reject loan bid from Ajax for Ramsdale, wanting to sell:

https://x.com/david_ornstein/status/1823249743314555097?s=46&t=OQrvtqxdga34G9SV_nKtNQ

imagine loan will only be an option if still with them just before deadline 

Even on loan it seems quite unlikely as:

a.) we won't cover his full wage and I'm sure someone else (e.g Forest) would happily do so

b.) he will have a whole heap of European clubs to pick from if available on a loan deal favourable enough for us to even be an option

Interesting to hear the Newcastle fan on TSP laughing at the idea Dubravka would be a good option for us - as I said when he was first mentioned he was awful for them last season to the point where fans were suggesting an Academy keeper should be brought in at one point.

Keeper will be interesting as our whole situation (Baz, AMC new deal, likely relegation, tight budget) points towards a loan without any obligation being by far the best option.

One thing for sure - any keeper we get has to be good with their feet given how we play. 

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

Atalanta are about to sell Koopmeiners for £50m and when they do, they'll be back for MOR. Celtic know it. MOR knows it and so do saints. There's still a chance but I imagine weve moved on. Everyone is waiting for a pay day.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Said the same of Aaron Ramsdale a few weeks back.

As the weeks go by Arsenal will be keen to shift those kind of wages off of their bill. As will any club with a large squad that needs trimming.

For example, I expect half of Chelsea’s squad will be available for a fraction of the cost come the final few days of the window.

It happens every year; another reason I don’t get why people are pulling their hair out at a lack of activity recently, it’s not like the club aren’t trying, they just aren’t going to piss it up the wall, and rightly so.

I agree with what you are saying but my issue is that nearly every time we make late signings we are pissing the money up against the wall as proved by the amount of deadwood we can't shift. It gets near deadline day and we panic buy.

• Like 1

Just now, LeG said:

Atalanta are about to sell Koopmeiners for £50m and when they do, they'll be back for MOR. Celtic know it. MOR knows it and so do saints. There's still a chance but I imagine weve moved on. Everyone is waiting for a pay day.

Thanks. That was what I inferred but good to have some confirmation. O'riley going to Atalanta is much better than going to another prem club. 

21 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

They’ve now got the funds but why would he want to go to Bournemouth unless they are offering insane wages….even then it’s a hard sell

Pompey got a squad of stars and didnt own a training ground. Money talks

4 minutes ago, LeG said:

cant really blame O'Riley for choosing Atlanta over us either.

Just now, OldNick said:

Pompey got a squad of stars and didnt own a training ground. Money talks

didn't they used to train at Eastleigh? Imagine being Sol Campbell, David James and Diarra and turning up for training their on your first day.

• Haha 1

Just now, Turkish said:

cant really blame O'Riley for choosing Atlanta over us either.

Yep. Certainly not a blow to morale that losing out to Brighton or Bournemouth would be. Hopefully we've known for a while and have been working on alternatives which is likely as we haven't been mentioned for a couple of weeks. 

23 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Well their stock is a fair bit higher than ours at the moment and people have been hoping he'd come here so why not Bournemouth.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

didn't they used to train at Eastleigh? Imagine being Sol Campbell, David James and Diarra and turning up for training their on your first day.

I think I read somewhere that Campbell was something like the 7th highest paid player in the world at one point with them. Absolutely insane. 

Aaron Ramsdale is a decent keeper for sure, but clearly Arteta saw something he didn't like and brought in Reya. What could that be? Is it ARs ability with his feet or his speed of thought or something else. When you play a system that involves the keeper using their feet alot, they need goo skills and speedy thought processes to handle the press and this is not something most keeper will have grown up experiencing. 

He only played 11 games last season, 6 in the PL, so is that a problem? I would be very happy if we get him permanently or on loan but he might not hit the ground running. If not him, we sure need someone else and having listened to RM last night I believe we are actively pursuing a GK (and others) but he said it at least twice, that we want players we want, not just anyone. My guess is AR is number GK choice but we will obviously have one or two options, so we will play the waiting game like it always happens. 

Just now, Turkish said:

I recall Defoes face after he was pushed into play for them. Once he was settled he was fine. Its all about money , none love the club in the main

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep. Certainly not a blow to morale that losing out to Brighton or Bournemouth would be. Hopefully we've known for a while and have been working on alternatives which is likely as we haven't been mentioned for a couple of weeks. 

Brighton are seen as a good club now, how after decades of being a top tier club how we have let it slip. Mainly due to the selling club syndrome

• Like 1

Just now, OldNick said:

Brighton are seen as a good club now, how after decades of being a top tier club how we have let it slip. Mainly due to the selling club syndrome

I know how they are seen. I still would rather not lose our top target to them though. 

6 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I recall Defoes face after he was pushed into play for them. Once he was settled he was fine. Its all about money , none love the club in the main

im off ignore then 😀

11 hours ago, Southner said:

Is it genuinely worth a watch? 

I have seen the City, Sunderland and Burnley documentaries.  This one shows some surprising/controversial stuff, and is I think relevant to us now, ie relegated team having been in Premier League some time, bouncing back and then staring into the gulf between two divisions.  Add in similar style of play and it’s spooky!  Hopefully a different outcome…..!

• Like 2

It’s been asked before - but whose spot in the first 11 does a player like O’Riley take? 

Given the current line up it can only be Will or Joe Aribo. Not dropping BBD for him surely? 

Joe, arguably, is already showing most improved first teamer vibes in pre season ( because his place may be in danger?) whereas Will’s relationship with Flynn and Adam plus his performances appear to make him an insta-starter for this season. Add to that the breakout star of preseason that is Tyler Dibling who pretty much plays and does everything we’d be expecting from O’Riley plus signs that Charlie has found some anger and is channeling it into a bit of football ( and a bit of fighting) and my hunch is that we have moved on from the Celtic Player cos we got it covered ( with fingers crossed) . 

Edited by gio1saints

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

It’s been asked before - but whose spot in the first 11 does a player like O’Riley take? 

Given the current line up it can only be Will or Joe Aribo.

Joe, arguably, is already showing most improved first teamer vibes in pre season ( because his place may be in danger?) whereas Will’s relationship with Flynn and Adam plus his performances appear to make him an insta-starter for this season. Add to that the breakout star of preseason that is Tyler Dibling who pretty much plays and does everything we’d be expecting from O’Riley plus signs that Charlie has found some anger and is channeling it into a bit of football ( and a bit of fighting) and my hunch is that we have moved on from the Celtic Player cos we got it covered ( with fingers crossed) . 

Jo Aribo on Saturday looked well off it. Brain Clough  would have been throwing a bag of Portland Cement at him on Monday yo see if he had a first touch. The ball was bouncing off him everywhere. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, redkeith said:

Jo Aribo on Saturday looked well off it. Brain Clough  would have been throwing a bag of Portland Cement at him on Monday yo see if he had a first touch. The ball was bouncing off him everywhere. 

He can look clumsy. He cannot usually run away from players but he often wriggles away finding half a yard.
And he IS an expert at using his body to somehow retain possession and give a pass under extreme pressure. And he is fit. 
Desperately Needs to add scoring back into his repertoire for his position though.
Agree with you that Joe is limited in some ways though and for me is most likely to be the one make way for Charlie or Tyler or a n other player if we need score.

Conversely he’s the one I’d most likely put on to replace either of those or others if we needed to defend a lead. Given we most likely be under the cosh in many matches playing a more solid way I think he will be a starter until further notice. Not saying that ideal but think it’s the way it’s currently looking. 

Edited by gio1saints

5 minutes ago, redkeith said:

I recall Mane having pelters in the preseason and fans saying similar (I dont think we he is going to be a Mane btw)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Given the current line up it can only be Will or Joe Aribo. Not dropping BBD for him surely? 

what about we play with no no.9 (we've already done it for 1 season) and MOR playing ahead of smallbone/downes and feeding BBD and Arma off the inside forward positions

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

God this window is tedious, the made up rumours seem worse than ever.

Not even excited for the first game, no buzz, no wow factor and the feeling that we will struggle to score while gifting goals to teams who press us, something that has been obvs since early last season.

We need to buy goals, scorer or creator but someone.

Sounds like you might need a new hobby. 

We are going to be underdogs in every game no matter who else we sign. We may lose some matches (a lot), but we may surprise a few. 

Why not back the team instead of being ridiculously negative before a ball is even kicked? It’s going to be a tough season so the club needs the fanbase more than ever. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Aaron Ramsdale is a decent keeper for sure, but clearly Arteta saw something he didn't like and brought in Reya. What could that be? Is it ARs ability with his feet or his speed of thought or something else. When you play a system that involves the keeper using their feet alot, they need goo skills and speedy thought processes to handle the press and this is not something most keeper will have grown up experiencing. 

He only played 11 games last season, 6 in the PL, so is that a problem? I would be very happy if we get him permanently or on loan but he might not hit the ground running. If not him, we sure need someone else and having listened to RM last night I believe we are actively pursuing a GK (and others) but he said it at least twice, that we want players we want, not just anyone. My guess is AR is number GK choice but we will obviously have one or two options, so we will play the waiting game like it always happens. 

I mentioned it before on a different thread but there is no issue with his feet - I have a mate with an Arsenal season ticket who says he is excellent with his feet and his range of passing is fantastic. 

Apparently the main issue is that Ramsdale has come out before and has admitted he has problems with his concentration when he has to go long spells without being needed, which Arteta didn't like at all. Then he made a couple of errors which appeared to be linked to that loss of concentration, and that was that. 

Given that playing for us he would see rather more action every week than he would playing for Arsenal at home to Ipswich or whatever, it's probably not something we need to be quite as concerned about. He would be an unbelievable signing for us, whether loan or perm, but unfortunately for the reasons given above I think that he's probably out of our reach financially. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

what about we play with no no.9 (we've already done it for 1 season) and MOR playing ahead of smallbone/downes and feeding BBD and Arma off the inside forward positions

Tup think that’s the clear choice.
But it’s also Charlie’s preferred position. And he did play it last year ( not all that successfully but perhaps that was because Che was taking up the same positions).  And where I’d try play Tyler also. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

after getting 60m for Solanke, they have significantly more funds that we do. 

They're also (like it or not) probably more attractive and likley to stay up than we are atm. 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think I read somewhere that Campbell was something like the 7th highest paid player in the world at one point with them. Absolutely insane. 

Remember when Pelle had to make the difficult decision whether to stay at Saints or go to China and become the 7th highest-paid footballer in the world on £350k per week? 

No loyalty, these modern footballers. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, LeG said:

If he really was our no1 target we should have paid the money to get it done before a bigger club came sniffing. 

At our poisiton in the food chain, we need to move fast, we can't afford to play the long game... bitten on the arse over (releatively speaking) peanuts... again.. 

44 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yes at Wellington Sports ground owned by the Uni opposite Eastleigh FC - i believe they were ejected for non payment of rent.

I used to play there for Mullards/Phillips was brilliant surface to play on.

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

If he really was our no1 target we should have paid the money to get it done before a bigger club came sniffing. 

At our poisiton in the food chain, we need to move fast, we can't afford to play the long game... bitten on the arse over (releatively speaking) peanuts... again.. 

what if we didn’t have the money? Would you have not signed Downes or THB instead ?

Edited by Give it to Ron

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Do you honestly believe that would have worked? What reason would O’Riley or his agent have had to jump into agreeing a move just because we agreed a fee with Celtic? Equally if you are Celtic and you know there are (potentially) several clubs interested some of whom are going to sell assets and have more money why wouldn’t you hold out and try to drive up bids?

If we don’t get him it’s a shame but I don’t see it as a stick to beat the club with if he ultimately ends up elsewhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Many clubs were sniffing around MOR from the off. Celtic are going to be patient to increase the transfer fee and MOR can evaluate his options for as long as he likes. It’s really not that simple as we just pay the money and get it done. The other parties have a big say in the speed at which the sale happens. We are currently not the most attractive option and patience is required. Look at THB on deadline day last summer, no way we would have signed him any earlier but he became available.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, redkeith said:

Somehow the Echo gave Aribo 8 out of 10 for his performance on Saturday 😳

43 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

If Aribo has been our most improved player, then we are doomed.

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

I am curious as to how you think Brighton got their money... 

• Haha 1