Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 minutes ago, Forester said:

I posted this on June 9th and still think it is playing out this way.  We won’t know where we are until after window shuts.  If you want a glimpse of how end of windows work, watch the superb Burnley documentary on Sky Sports.  

I have always strongly believed that we will take advantage of loan opportunities towards the final few weeks. Some players won't be available today, but after the first weekend of PL fixtures they may start to be made available. That's where I honestly believe we'll get our value, we won't be spending £25m+ on anyone.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

This is what I don't get. How did he down tools? 

Of course none of us will never know the full details but I'm basing it on 1) the fact that Martin clearly has his reasons for wanting him out, and 2) multiple rumours that have come from people well-connected to the club that that's what happened. We've all seen he's a good player when he's committed, and Martin would presumably love to have a player of his ability available to play, but he has completely frozen him out so there has to be a reason for that. It's clear he doesn't want him around his squad, so it must be something other than an ability issue. 

16 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

This whole narrative about him in our relegation season is so baffling and contrary to what actually happened that honestly reeks of racist undertones. 

Not from me it doesn't. We've had plenty of players with bad attitudes before, from all kinds of different backgrounds, and wanting rid of them because they negatively impact squad harmony and team spirit is nothing to do with racism. Mark Dennis threw his manager into a bathtub. David Speedie nutted one of his team-mates on a pre-season tour. Osvaldo attacked his captain during training. Wesley Hoedt was just a total cock. They all needed to be moved on for the greater good. It happens. Why should ABK be any different? 

• Like 5

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I have always strongly believed that we will take advantage of loan opportunities towards the final few weeks. Some players won't be available today, but after the first weekend of PL fixtures they may start to be made available. That's where I honestly believe we'll get our value, we won't be spending £25m+ on anyone.

I hope you're right because I think we'll get far more value out of the loan market.

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

I hope you're right because I think we'll get far more value out of the loan market.

Definitely, the best loan opportunities come up in the final few weeks. Some things we might think aren't even a goer today, may end up being on in a week or so. THB and Brooks last season for e.g. are two which spring to mind. We've used the loan market really well in the last 12 months.

If we do somehow throw £25m down on a striker without any substantial sales then all credit to SR for me, who are definitely putting the money where their mouth is. Just need to make sure we've scouted them right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

Super Computer lol, every season it comes out with predictions and then changes every week. Its some kid on work experience having a play.

It's because the result affect the algorithm, that's why it changes. 

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

HELP, this is embarrassing/amusing by accident Ive put Turkish on ignore!!!!!!!! How do I unignore him???????  

I dunno, I've got one weirdo on here on ignore but not planning on taking him off. Proper psycho he is. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You're completely right and we won't spend that.

However, the problem with this is you just cannot complete at this level anymore without spending these sums regularly. PSR aside a £25m player today is a £15m player five years ago.

ABK avoided shoulder surgery because he wanted to make that World Cup squad with Germany. That was his only motivation. He’s not worked out, let’s take the small profit and move on. Hopefully a sell on clause in case he does become the player we had hoped elsewhere. Need this money to improve us now.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

He's a bellend. That's why we are getting rid. The money we get for him is a great deal for us give his injury record and attitude. 

This, will allow us to chase O'Riley properly as well. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

This is what I don't get. How did he down tools? He dislocated his shoulder, badly, didn't have surgery so that he could return faster. Consequently, he kept getting recurring shoulder injuries that season and last season with PSV until he got the surgery he needed. If anything, he did the opposite of "downed tools" and put his career at serious risk by not getting the surgery immediately and continuing to play? This whole narrative about him in our relegation season is so baffling and contrary to what actually happened that honestly reeks of racist undertones. No-one was claiming Livramento "downed tools" when he was also fighting through numerous injuries.

I've addressed this supposed attitude problem earlier. I would hope Martin, a revered man-manager, and our supposedly strong dressing room could handle one player that needs a bit of guidance. Not every player is going to be a JWP pro off the bat, and there is a level of quality that means the headache is worth it - we can't be turning our noses up at Premier League level players so easily. If we had lots of bad personalities, I'd think fair enough, but Martin has done a complete British and Irish overhaul of the squad with players who's personalities he likes.

No I don't think anyone would have paid £26m for him now, because he just spent the season coming back from surgery. That's why I would have kept him and played him because he is levels above Stephens. If he was toxic then we could have told him that he can get a move in January and I'm sure he would have put in performances on the pitch.

He refused to play for us in the Championship and now in the Prem. That is an issue. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Saint Scott said:

You're completely right and we won't spend that.

However, the problem with this is you just cannot complete at this level anymore without spending these sums regularly. PSR aside a £25m player today is a £15m player five years ago.

I'm not saying we won't ever spend £25m, but I just look at it in the context that we've already spent almost £60-70m this summer without any sales. Plus our previous stint in the PL equalled £150m spend, or something like that. Of course not all of that money will have been paid out yet, ditto the money from last summer won't have been received yet, but I do feel we are somewhat constrained from going big this summer. A season or two in the PL, if we manage to consolidate, will paint a different picture (but we need to make sure we scout a hell of a lot better)

22 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm not saying we won't ever spend £25m, but I just look at it in the context that we've already spent almost £60-70m this summer without any sales. Plus our previous stint in the PL equalled £150m spend, or something like that. Of course not all of that money will have been paid out yet, ditto the money from last summer won't have been received yet, but I do feel we are somewhat constrained from going big this summer. A season or two in the PL, if we manage to consolidate, will paint a different picture (but we need to make sure we scout a hell of a lot better)

The only worry I have with this wait and consolidate business is that if in two years we’ve squeaked by staying up just about it’s a hell of a hard sell to get anyone decent to sign for us!

hopefully a few sales this week will see us being able to spend a bit!

1 hour ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

This is what I don't get. How did he down tools? He dislocated his shoulder, badly, didn't have surgery so that he could return faster. Consequently, he kept getting recurring shoulder injuries that season and last season with PSV until he got the surgery he needed. If anything, he did the opposite of "downed tools" and put his career at serious risk by not getting the surgery immediately and continuing to play? This whole narrative about him in our relegation season is so baffling and contrary to what actually happened that honestly reeks of racist undertones. No-one was claiming Livramento "downed tools" when he was also fighting through numerous injuries.

I've addressed this supposed attitude problem earlier. I would hope Martin, a revered man-manager, and our supposedly strong dressing room could handle one player that needs a bit of guidance. Not every player is going to be a JWP pro off the bat, and there is a level of quality that means the headache is worth it - we can't be turning our noses up at Premier League level players so easily. If we had lots of bad personalities, I'd think fair enough, but Martin has done a complete British and Irish overhaul of the squad with players who's personalities he likes.

No I don't think anyone would have paid £26m for him now, because he just spent the season coming back from surgery. That's why I would have kept him and played him because he is levels above Stephens. If he was toxic then we could have told him that he can get a move in January and I'm sure he would have put in performances on the pitch.

You're wrong, plenty of people called out that lazy Itie Livramento too. Shoulder injuries, pah. When was the last time you kicked a ball with your shoulder. Im sick of these lazy "athletes" crying off with this pathetic injuries. If you didn't pay them their "shoulder injury" would soon fix itself. As i said about Stewart give them a cortisone injection and get the lazy bastards out there, they're playing football FFS not going to war. 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Was going to raise the man management issue. Is it always the player that is the problem or can the manager ever be criticised for failing to get the best out of a player? 

PSV couldn't get a tune out of him either despite a good start.  Did have a shoulder injury for a couple of months though. 

Could be they didn't want to change a  winning team but I would have thought he would play more than 4 games if fit.

15 minutes ago, Yozzman said:

PSV couldn't get a tune out of him either despite a good start.  Did have a shoulder injury for a couple of months though. 

Could be they didn't want to change a  winning team but I would have thought he would play more than 4 games if fit.

This basically.  He had a short purple patch at the start of his Saints career, and has since done fcuk all.  Much the same as Broja, who some are desperate to get back.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

It was stated at the fan forum that SR have spent over 200 million. That's all well and good but we know that a huge chunk of that has been wasted on players that have not measured up. It's not just how much you spend it's also about what you spend it on. We've wasted fortunes and a club of our size has to be smarter in its transfer dealings.

• Like 5

Just now, saintant said:

It was stated at the fan forum that SR have spent over 200 million. That's all well and good but we know that a huge chunk of that has been wasted on players that have not measured up. It's not just how much you spend it's also about what you spend it on. We've wasted fortunes and a club of our size has to be smarter in its transfer dealings.

Yep absolutley, I don't think you can say SR haven't put money in - they have, lots of it. But the scouting has been shit, it doesn't matter how much money you have if you keep signing crap. In fact for clubs like us it makes it even harder because we then have less flexibility and expensive assets we have to then take a loss on.

Hopefully they learnt some lessons from the 22/23 season, most notably that January window - over £40m on deadline day on two guys who didn't contribute at all, and still haven't.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

This basically.  He had a short purple patch at the start of his Saints career, and has since done fcuk all.  Much the same as Broja, who some are desperate to get back.  

out of interest, who would you like us to sign to fill the central striker position?

32 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I can see the parallels but IMO Broja looked to have a higher ceiling and is in a position we are desperately short.

Our current CB options are decent and could form an okay lower mid table prem defence without ABK. 

Personally if the price was sensible or we could agree a loan with options/contingency based on performances I would want us to take the punt on him.

Is there a price at which you would feel Broja is worth a gamble or are you just not convinced?

46 minutes ago, saintant said:

I think it was stated they had *invested* 200m in the club which may not just be player transfers. 

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This.

Aaron Ramsdale 👀

• Like 2

I'm watching Elijah Adebayo closely tonight, no links but I think he could do a decent job if we want to spend all our magic beans on an attacking midfielder. Didn't see too much of him last season but what I did see, I liked. Good technique and obviously good physically.

10 goals in the PL is nothing to be sniffed at (no pens).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

How the hell are Chelsea getting away with their transfer policy?...................answers on a postcard.......lol or do they have better informed lawyers than the prem?

https://www.themag.co.uk/2024/08/how-are-chelsea-allowed-to-get-away-with-this-quite-incredible-what-is-going-on-newcastle-united-premier-league/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cy4yg422zjpo

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
  • Like 2

Hello how much do you want …€30m !!! Bye

🚨 Neither Southampton nor Leicester have actually made concrete proposals to Panathinaikos for striker Fotis Ioannidis, only enquiries at this stage – Sporting CP are leading the race to sign him #saintsfc @Record_Portugal

3 hours ago, Forester said:

I posted this on June 9th and still think it is playing out this way.  We won’t know where we are until after window shuts.  If you want a glimpse of how end of windows work, watch the superb Burnley documentary on Sky Sports.  

Is it genuinely worth a watch? 

11 minutes ago, Southner said:

Is it genuinely worth a watch? 

I've watched the first Sunderland season, the Wrexham one and the Burnley one.  Burnley was by far the worst one - seemed to concentrate on the owners far too much and almost felt like a vanity project for them.  That was my impression anyway.

4 hours ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

IMG_2909.jpeg

Edited by bpsaint
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Sky Sports reporting that Armel Bella-Kotchap has been given permission to undergo a medical with Hoffenheim tomorrow, after Saints accepted a bid of €15m

Well, he certainly should be well rested  - 247 minutes of football in the last 16 months.

7 hours ago, trousers said:

Hi @LeG - any news on our interest in signing Reed? Assume the trail has gone cold since you posted about it last month? Cheers

Reed was an enquiry but he's settled in London. Not sure if it went further than that. Asked about a keeper as well... Interest in Ramsdale is real. Arsenal want to sell. AR wants a loan. Hopefully we see a similar deal to that of THB. We really need to shift players before we buy. The later it goes on the more we will utilise the loan market and more players will become available. Haven't got anything else at the moment. I've lost a lot of contacts over the last 3 seasons so only get a few snippets now. Will of course keep you posted.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, LeG said:

Reed was an enquiry but he's settled in London. Not sure if it went further than that. Asked about a keeper as well... Interest in Ramsdale is real. Arsenal want to sell. AR wants a loan. Hopefully we see a similar deal to that of THB. We really need to shift players before we buy. The later it goes on the more we will utilise the loan market and more players will become available. Haven't got anything else at the moment. I've lost a lot of contacts over the last 3 seasons so only get a few snippets now. Will of course keep you posted.

Nothing we didn't already know but thanks a lot for the update. 

• Like 2

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Nothing we didn't already know but thanks a lot for the update. 

Yeah I appreciate that. Might know more next week.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LeG said:

Cheers @LeG - appreciated 👍

Said the same of Aaron Ramsdale a few weeks back.

As the weeks go by Arsenal will be keen to shift those kind of wages off of their bill. As will any club with a large squad that needs trimming.

For example, I expect half of Chelsea’s squad will be available for a fraction of the cost come the final few days of the window.

It happens every year; another reason I don’t get why people are pulling their hair out at a lack of activity recently, it’s not like the club aren’t trying, they just aren’t going to piss it up the wall, and rightly so.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

We haven't been mentioned in relation to him in ages. 

Perhaps we bid, discovered they wanted double our offer, so moved on to Carvalho, discovering similar. Rather than 'waste' time, as some on here suggest, maybe we've been very efficient. 

With greater funds at our disposal, we can obviously recalibrate. Doesn't mean we will bid again. We just might not value the player in the same ballpark as Celtic. We shall see.

God this window is tedious, the made up rumours seem worse than ever.

Not even excited for the first game, no buzz, no wow factor and the feeling that we will struggle to score while gifting goals to teams who press us, something that has been obvs since early last season.

We need to buy goals, scorer or creator but someone.

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

You're wrong, plenty of people called out that lazy Itie Livramento too. Shoulder injuries, pah. When was the last time you kicked a ball with your shoulder. Im sick of these lazy "athletes" crying off with this pathetic injuries. If you didn't pay them their "shoulder injury" would soon fix itself. As i said about Stewart give them a cortisone injection and get the lazy bastards out there, they're playing football FFS not going to war. 

You have to be much fitter to play top level football than to be a conscript in the army to fight a war. as we have seen in Russia.