Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Don't believe the 30m rumours about that striker but asked my Greek mate who said the following -

"The striker? I like him tbh, had a bit of a breakout season last season. He’s definitely a hard worker but not the most technical striker in the world, kinda reminds me of Shane long if my memory doesn’t deceive me"

Αυτό σημαίνει στόχους, κουπιά, στόχους.

Sky Sports reporting that Armel Bella-Kotchap has been given permission to undergo a medical with Hoffenheim tomorrow, after Saints accepted a bid of €15m

Edited by CSA96

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

Put this up in the dressing room to motivate the players, go and show em boys 

Screenshot_20240812-154822_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3d77b5b1b7115a9970bb9a32ced993be.jpg

Not sure why it requires a super computer to say that the playoff winners are favourites for relegation….surely the playoff winners are odds on for the drop literally every season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Sky Sports reporting that Armel Bella-Kotchap has been given permission to undergo a medical with Hoffenheim tomorrow, after Saints accepted a bid of €15m

Good stuff, clearly was never going to play here. 

23 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Spoke to my Greek mate about that striker.

He said:

Hello everybody peeps.  Good player innit.  Bang bang goal.

Spoke to my plasterer mate about the fee and he said, 'Loads-a money!' while waving a thick wedge of fifty pounds notes in my face.

• Haha 3

The Greek player's stats other than last season are pretty poor at both club and international level and we've been stung a few times by these one season wonders reverting to type, especially when they join the Premier League. No chance we should be spending over £20m on him.

We were linked to a similar Greek player three years ago in Giorgos Giakoumakis, who had one breakout season in the Eredivisie and in 2024 he's playing in Mexico.

If he does sign we really need to hope that our scouting and recruitment has improved from recent years.

31 minutes ago, JRM said:

Put this up in the dressing room to motivate the players, go and show em boys 

Screenshot_20240812-154822_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3d77b5b1b7115a9970bb9a32ced993be.jpg

Super Computer lol, every season it comes out with predictions and then changes every week. Its some kid on work experience having a play.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

That's got to be a concern for him... Probably pop his shoulder signing the contract. Or does he only get 'injured' when the going gets tough? 

Good riddance.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

12 odd million sterling for ABK isn't bad for a player not in the first team plans but hard not to feel a pang of disappointment.  Clearly showed tremendous talent.

Wanker with a pea-sized heart.

• Haha 1

£12.8m is so cheap for ABK. He's the same age as THB and has been proven at a higher level than him, both in the Premier League and for Germany. Like Alcaraz, we got great offers for him last summer.

I know he has had injury issues, but Hoffenheim must be happy he is through them.

This is a bit of a disaster IMO. We should have kept him and started him this season. When fit he is probably our best CB with THB.

Not sure what has happened where he is deemed too toxic for the squad as Ralph seemingly liked him, and he wasn't against getting players out the team if they became toxic (Obafemi, Bednarek to Villa etc).

Hopefully we have some great clauses in there to get extra money on incentives or a future sale, because he should have been going for around what we bought THB for even with his shoulder issue. We've sold him at half price, which we aren't in a position to do.

Could fund O'Reilly though, so not all doom and gloom.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

Just now, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

£12.8m is so cheap for ABK. He's the same age as THB and has been proven at a higher level than him, both in the Premier League and for Germany. Like Alcaraz, we got great offers for him last summer.

I know he has had injury issues, but Hoffenheim must be happy he is through them.

This is a bit of a disaster IMO. We should have kept him and started him this season. When fit he is probably our best CB with THB.

Not sure what has happened where he is deemed too toxic for the squad as Ralph seemingly liked him, and he wasn't against getting players out the team if they became toxic (Obafemi, Bednarek to Villa etc).

Hopefully we have some great clauses in there to get extra money on incentives or a future sale, because he should have been going for around what we bought THB for even with his shoulder issue. We've sold him at half price, which we aren't in a position to do.

Suspect RM couldn’t wait to get shot of such a bad egg, even at cut price, and especially to allow purse strings to open immediately for a forward player and - god help us - a non- shit keeper

7 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

When fit and motivated

8 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

He's a bellend. That's why we are getting rid. The money we get for him is a great deal for us give his injury record and attitude. 

• Like 4

Just now, DT said:

Suspect RM couldn’t wait to get shot of such a bad egg, even at cut price, and especially to allow purse strings to open immediately for a forward player and - god help us - a non- shit keeper

He got a serious shoulder injury, decided not to have surgery so that he could return to the team faster, and then people here started saying he couldn't be bothered when we were getting relegated. The hate for him is weird.

Obviously he didn't want to play for us last season in the Championship. He was in the Germany team and he was trying to make the squad for the Euros in Germany at the end of the season.

He was at the playoff final supporting us. It looked like he was expecting to come back with us win or lose having spent almost the whole season at PSV injured and obviously out the Germany squad.

Then pre-season starts and Martin doesn't give him a chance. Then Blackmore says he's a bad personality. It's just weird. Perhaps he isn't the best personality, but one of Martin's strengths is supposedly his man-management. Can't the dressing room handle one bad egg and try to set him on the right path?

I feel like it has been handled poorly. He should have been starting ahead of Stephens IMO. We have also done a bad job of selling players at the right time in recent years.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

He got a serious shoulder injury, decided not to have surgery so that he could return to the team faster, and then people here started saying he couldn't be bothered when we were getting relegated. The hate for him is weird.

Obviously he didn't want to play for us last season in the Championship. He was in the Germany team and he was trying to make the squad for the Euros in Germany at the end of the season.

He was at the playoff final supporting us. It looked like he was expecting to come back with us win or lose having spent almost the whole season at PSV injured and obviously out the Germany squad.

Then pre-season starts and Martin doesn't give him a chance. Then Blackmore says he's a bad personality. It's just weird. Perhaps he isn't the best personality, but one of Martin's strengths is supposedly his man-management. Can't the dressing room handle one bad egg and try to set him on the right path?

I feel like it has been handled poorly. He should have been starting ahead of Stephens IMO. We have also done a bad job of selling players at the right time in recent years.

Pretty sure Russ has the measure of the man better than any of us and regardless of our opinion he's the manager and the guy that he'd need to play under.

Glad we've moved him on. Ultimately didn't fulfill his potential whilst here regardless of circumstance. So now we take our small profit and go again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, OldNick said:

HELP, this is embarrassing/amusing by accident Ive put Turkish on ignore!!!!!!!! How do I unignore him???????  

i would help you but as you cant read this no point 😇

• Haha 11

15 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

We've sold him at half price

Sounds like we've got £13m for him. We bought him for £8.6m, he's had injury problems, and by all accounts is a knob with an attitude problem who downed tools and became toxic when we needed him to step up. It's obvious we want him out yet we've still turned a £4.5m profit. 

Do you honestly think anyone was going to pay £26m for him? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Sounds like we've got £13m for him. We bought him for £8.6m, he's had injury problems, and by all accounts is a knob with an attitude problem who downed tools and became toxic when we needed him to step up. It's obvious we want him out yet we've still turned a £4.5m profit. 

Exactly. Just think that's potentially what celtic want for o'riley who is their best player. 

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

Yeah, absolutely - they're doing the correct thing. The most likely scenario is we go down though as we were never able to compete this season when our spine was on loan (as I have repeated as nauseum since last September). 

Forrest had the same issue, losing Samba, Spence, Garner, Davis and Grabban when they came up, but €195m if spending helped fill the gaps. They survived. Just!

Worth noting that they spent just €7m in transfer fees to get them up. 

This is why it's so hard to compare transfer dealings between clubs. Everyone is at different points in their three year rolling financial cycles. 

17 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

That's great business by Saints tbf.

Turned a profit on a player that's surplus to requirements, a decent chunk that can be reinvested on areas of the pitch that needs it (striker/goalkeeper).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Was going to raise the man management issue. Is it always the player that is the problem or can the manager ever be criticised for failing to get the best out of a player? 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

From what you have seen in the last 2 seasons from him why would this be a disaster? Who is going to pay more based on last season? Did you think he was going to stay given we signed 2 centre halves this summer who the manager wanted?

We need funds for a keeper and forward keeping him wasn’t an option was it?

5 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

This is what I don't get. How did he down tools? He dislocated his shoulder, badly, didn't have surgery so that he could return faster. Consequently, he kept getting recurring shoulder injuries that season and last season with PSV until he got the surgery he needed. If anything, he did the opposite of "downed tools" and put his career at serious risk by not getting the surgery immediately and continuing to play? This whole narrative about him in our relegation season is so baffling and contrary to what actually happened that honestly reeks of racist undertones. No-one was claiming Livramento "downed tools" when he was also fighting through numerous injuries.

I've addressed this supposed attitude problem earlier. I would hope Martin, a revered man-manager, and our supposedly strong dressing room could handle one player that needs a bit of guidance. Not every player is going to be a JWP pro off the bat, and there is a level of quality that means the headache is worth it - we can't be turning our noses up at Premier League level players so easily. If we had lots of bad personalities, I'd think fair enough, but Martin has done a complete British and Irish overhaul of the squad with players who's personalities he likes.

No I don't think anyone would have paid £26m for him now, because he just spent the season coming back from surgery. That's why I would have kept him and played him because he is levels above Stephens. If he was toxic then we could have told him that he can get a move in January and I'm sure he would have put in performances on the pitch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James said:

Not sure why it requires a super computer to say that the playoff winners are favourites for relegation….surely the playoff winners are odds on for the drop literally every season.

I dunno mate but it's a super computer so will know its stuff I'm sure, don't question it 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Was going to raise the man management issue. Is it always the player that is the problem or can the manager ever be criticised for failing to get the best out of a player? 

Even Pep and Fergie had man management issues why would Martin be different?

1 hour ago, James said:

Which is kinda funny cause statistically the playoff team seems to have both the highest rate of staying up and remaining established in the last two decades. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Even Pep and Fergie had man management issues why would Martin be different?

Fergie wasn't regarded as a good man manager, was he? More of an authoritarian, and with the history/strength to allow him to bin players. 

Must be a nightmare managing multimillionaire young players. I just wondered if RM ought to carry some blame for not being able to take ABK on the journey. Or is it just a case of the player always being the issue. 

10 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

This is what I don't get. How did he down tools? He dislocated his shoulder, badly, didn't have surgery so that he could return faster. Consequently, he kept getting recurring shoulder injuries that season and last season with PSV until he got the surgery he needed. If anything, he did the opposite of "downed tools" and put his career at serious risk by not getting the surgery immediately and continuing to play? This whole narrative about him in our relegation season is so baffling and contrary to what actually happened that honestly reeks of racist undertones. No-one was claiming Livramento "downed tools" when he was also fighting through numerous injuries.

I've addressed this supposed attitude problem earlier. I would hope Martin, a revered man-manager, and our supposedly strong dressing room could handle one player that needs a bit of guidance. Not every player is going to be a JWP pro off the bat, and there is a level of quality that means the headache is worth it - we can't be turning our noses up at Premier League level players so easily. If we had lots of bad personalities, I'd think fair enough, but Martin has done a complete British and Irish overhaul of the squad with players who's personalities he likes.

No I don't think anyone would have paid £26m for him now, because he just spent the season coming back from surgery. That's why I would have kept him and played him because he is levels above Stephens. If he was toxic then we could have told him that he can get a move in January and I'm sure he would have put in performances on the pitch.

Racist undertones?  Have a fucking day off.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Yeah fuck off with your racist undertones bullshit. We had someone on here a few years back who tried to make similar claims with suggestions that all the players who weren't popular were darker skinned because saints fans are a bunch of closet racists. 

Kwp is black and also our most beloved current player, almost a Saints legend. No one cares about what colour his skin is. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Seriously, don't play the race card. Absolute nonsense and is usually piped out when there's no further substance to the actual point you're trying to make.

The facts are that he came here with potential, looked to have the raw attributes in physique and power etc - but he was actually pretty rubbish and a big let down. Switches off too much when he's fit, but also isn't ever fit. Made of glass. Add to all of that, he is an absolutley awful personality around the place which is why he's been told to stay away from Staplewood. I don't personally think he downed tools, but I also don't think he's a particularly nice character.

The fact we're getting £12m for him is a mega bonus, I'd have taken a nominal fee for him at this stage just to get the bad egg out of the place.

There's nothing racist about any of that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Fergie wasn't regarded as a good man manager, was he? More of an authoritarian, and with the history/strength to allow him to bin players. 

Must be a nightmare managing multimillionaire young players. I just wondered if RM ought to carry some blame for not being able to take ABK on the journey. Or is it just a case of the player always being the issue. 

Possibly but the players and club seem to be in far greater morale and player togetherness under Martin than many other we have had for long time.

He won’t get on with all and am sure in your working life come across managers you hate . To answer if this is the case so be it but as said elsewhere the club are backing Martin and that’s correct.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2024 at 13:54, Forester said:

We are going to need to be patient I feel this summer.  A number of factors:

- we are two weeks behind most other clubs knowing they are in Premier League

- the playing season starts later in August than normal because of Euros

- a number of our competitors have serious FFP concerns and therefore comparing their current squads is futile

- we have a lot of outbound and inbound Ioans ending

- many deals will be on hold until Euros finish

I really don’t think we will know where we are, and what we are up against, until end of August.  My sense is that other clubs competing in “mini league” at the bottom will likely include Leicester, Ipswich, Brentford, Everton and Forest as a minimum.  But probably eleven weeks away from becoming clear

I posted this on June 9th and still think it is playing out this way.  We won’t know where we are until after window shuts.  If you want a glimpse of how end of windows work, watch the superb Burnley documentary on Sky Sports.  

1 minute ago, Forester said:

I posted this on June 9th and still think it is playing out this way.  We won’t know where we are until after window shuts.  If you want a glimpse of how end of windows work, watch the superb Burnley documentary on Sky Sports.  

I get how it works. The problem for me is that we usually end up in a last minute panic and any money available is spent on dross.