Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

7 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Positive. 

image.png

It isn’t an outrageous prediction. Saturday’s match against Getafe highlighted the glaring problems in the team. Poor goalkeeping and an inability to create meaningful chances, or when they do arrive, finish them. Based on that, relegation is most likely at the moment unless we can improve those characteristics. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

It isn’t an outrageous prediction. Saturday’s match against Getafe highlighted the glaring problems in the team. Poor goalkeeping and an inability to create meaningful chances, or when they do arrive, finish them. Based on that, relegation is most likely at the moment unless we can improve those characteristics. 

I don't disagree. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

It's highly likely. we've got the worst goalkeeper in the league and probably the worst attack, if you cant score and concede a lot then it only ends one way.

• Like 4

I wouldn't disagree with that % figure, right now we look relegation material.

Thankfully the transfer window is still open so if we can get a decent GK, striker and hopefully AM we'll have a fighting chance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:
15 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

It's highly likely. we've got the worst goalkeeper in the league and probably the worst attack, if you cant score and concede a lot then it only ends one way.

We all liked the Championship anyway.. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Appy said:

Leicester in talks for Hlozek

Hlozek is a secondary forward that plays off and behind a centre forward. I would not have thought this is the type of player we need. 

I would like to see some concrete links though to a central striker. I can't think of any flash or particularly exciting names though. 

Saints would be taking a punt on a player with a good record in a league such as the Eredivisie or Belgium... and we already have one of those

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

Not sure if you can judge any side until the window closes.

Whilst this is undoubtedly true, the overall feeling/message is that we are not in a position financially to greatly improve the squad/team, so expectations are low.

I wonder if there is a world where we might be intersted in bringing back JWP on loan. 

He's clearly not going to get a look in at WHU and whilst I think hes limited and overrated, he would bring experience and be able to hit the ground running. 

For me, someone like JWP on loan with an option, would be much better value for money than O'riely at £30m. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Positive. 

image.png

And this is why SFC have and will have a transfer budget currently based upon the strong likelihood- not possibility of relegation to the ECL next season. 

The footballing actuaries (bookies) believe we are very likely to go down. Go down with sustainable debt and adequacy to fight for a quick return or go down with we arefucked debt are the two most realistic real life options available. How and what we spend now determines that. 

Oh, that and the 33% chance we finish above the bottom three. Then the odds are better next season. And the budgeting can adjust upwards accordingly- but not madly so. 

• Confused 3

Removing the promoted clubs, how many of our players would get in other teams?

Probably KWP for most and potentially Downes for one or two. 

I don't think a good argument can really be made for many/any others.

Flip it and look at how many Forest, Wolves, Brentford etc players would get in our team and its probably 8 or 9 of their starting XI.

Really very hard to see us finishing ahead of any of those- and just as we will still strengthen, so will they - and in the case of Carvalho & Brentford its with a player we also wanted.

Any indepdendent prediction that is not for us to be relegated would be frankly ludicrous based on pretty much every available method of analysing it.

4 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Whilst this is undoubtedly true, the overall feeling/message is that we are not in a position financially to greatly improve the squad/team, so expectations are low.

I think that is fair comment. 

The bid for O'Riley was reported at about £15m. I think the Carvalho bid was something similar. I am guessing we moved on from O'Riley to Carvalho rather than wanting both, but I could be wrong.

They were opening bids, so maybe we have a few more quid available at this specific point, who knows, but additional funds will need to come from sales - and we can't be sure they will happen.

It's understandable the club is holding out for reasonable prices for Onuachu, ABK and KWP. But it would be handy if at least one of those happen before transfer deadline day.

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

I wonder if there is a world where we might be intersted in bringing back JWP on loan. 

He's clearly not going to get a look in at WHU and whilst I think hes limited and overrated, he would bring experience and be able to hit the ground running. 

For me, someone like JWP on loan with an option, would be much better value for money than O'riely at £30m. 

He's a good fit, but won't West Ham want to keep him for depth? Even if he doesn't start, he'd be on the bench and one injury and he's first choice.  

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

And this is why SFC have and will have a transfer budget currently based upon the strong likelihood- not possibility of relegation to the ECL next season. 

The footballing actuaries (bookies) believe we are very likely to go down. Go down with sustainable debt and adequacy to fight for a quick return or go down with we arefucked debt are the two most realistic real life options available. How and what we spend now determines that. 

Oh, that and the 33% chance we finish above the bottom three. Then the odds are better next season. And the budgeting can adjust upwards accordingly- but not madly so. 

Surprisingly i actually tend to agree with you. 

I'm not massively worried about our transfer strategy, I think we've built a really, really good championship side should we face the drop this season and will be in a position to bounce back alot stronger in the process. 

We still have way to many high earners we need to shift and/or players who just aren't good enough. 

This season is going to be really painful, but I think in the long term, it'll prove to be a fairly good buisness plan (providing we invest well bounce back again next season) 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I'd of thought our transfer budget is based purely on available finances. We will spend every available penny to try and stay up, but there simply aren't a huge number of those pennies due to previous expenditure and company losses etc.

I don't think there is £60m available and we have decided to spend £30m because we are strong candidates to go down. There is likely £60m (or some other figure) available and we will spend £60m.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

When the €15/17 Million deal progresses to completion with Hoffenheim then we will see how much we wanna bring someone new in.

We have made unsuccessful bids for a couple of players. Isn't that a clear indication that we wanna bring someone new in?

30 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

We all liked the Championship anyway.. 

Exactly. Get relegated, have a go at winning it next season with a better squad. Keep Edwards, Wood, Taylor, Suga, best back four in the league, Armstrong best striker. All the kids we signed in 2022 will be one year away from being developed so will be better, we might even see Stewart for a couple of games.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'd of thought our transfer budget is based purely on available finances. We will spend every available penny to try and stay up, but there simply aren't a huge number of those pennies due to previous expenditure and company losses etc.

I don't think there is £60m available and we have decided to spend £30m because we are strong candidates to go down. There is likely £60m (or some other figure) available and we will spend £60m.

My hunch is that we have roughly 20 million left plus whatever we get from sales given the rumoured amounts we have bid for Carvalho and o'riley.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

We have made unsuccessful bids for a couple of players. Isn't that a clear indication that we wanna bring someone new in?

I want a lamborghini, but if I walk in the shop and offer £6k for it, I would know that I don't really have a true intention of buying it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

My hunch is that we have roughly 20 million left plus whatever we get from sales given the rumoured amounts we have bid for Carvalho and o'riley.

If we had that much I'd argue we'd be able to afford O'Riley.

We don't pay the full amount of the player in one go, It never works like that..

I'd suggest someone hit the nail earlier well about wages, we need to shift some first before bring in more.

Edited by SaintsFan86
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

33 minutes ago, Dman said:

Surprisingly i actually tend to agree with you. 

I'm not massively worried about our transfer strategy, I think we've built a really, really good championship side should we face the drop this season and will be in a position to bounce back alot stronger in the process. 

We still have way to many high earners we need to shift and/or players who just aren't good enough. 

This season is going to be really painful, but I think in the long term, it'll prove to be a fairly good buisness plan (providing we invest well bounce back again next season) 

I've been pondering on this 'conspiracy theory' for a while now... i.e. that another relegation/promotion cycle *could* actually be factored into SR's longer term business plan.... either way, I would say we're in for a "nothing to lose" season.... i.e. we shouldn't have anything to fear from another relegation, given we *should* be better placed to bounce back than last season, but if we do happen to stay up, on what is effectively a championship level budget, then that's just an added bonus. Relegation? Survival? Win-Win....

Edited by trousers

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

If we had that much I'd argue we'd be able to afford O'Riley.

We don't pay the full amount of the player in one go, It never works like that..

I'd suggest someone hit the nail earlier well about wages, we need to shift some first before bring in more.

But we need to strengthen at least 3 positions, namely goalkeeper, central mid and striker, that's going to cost more than £20m

We need to get shot of Bella Kotchap, Alcarez and the other duffers. (not that Alcarez is a duffer, he's just not going to play much)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dman said:

I was with my WHU supporting brother on Saturday and he was wetting himself over what he thought was a brilliant transfer window for the Hammers, 'absolutlely buzzing' he said, although he had had a bit to drink.

1 minute ago, iansums said:

I was with my WHU supporting brother on Saturday and he was wetting himself over what he thought was a brilliant transfer window for the Hammers, 'absolutlely buzzing' he said, although he had had a bit to drink.

They have to be fair, done some great business. Can see them really kicking on this season and pushing for a top 6 spot possibily. 

Just now, Saint Scott said:

One thing that can be said with certainty based on our fan base meltdown over signings at the moment. Tonight's fan forum is going to be an absolute shit show 🤣

It wont be though, it'll be the usual dullards asking questions about the beer, food, queues, entertainment and birds team.

• Like 3

Out of interest, why do people think that if we got relegated we would be able to keep the same team together in order to then storm next season's Championship? 

Surely it would be like any other season - even if we got relegated, any/ most of the players who did well would just get picked off and bought by other clubs. If for example Sugawara turns out to be amazing, he'd almost certainly want to stay in the top division and earn PL money, and someone would buy him. Same with THB or Downes or anyone else half decent. We'd be left with the players that other clubs felt weren't PL quality, and would have to rebuild again with players who were happy to play in the Championship, with all the risks that that involves. 

I'm not sure it's as simple as 'oh well, if we go down then this team would get straight back up again'. 

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

One thing that can be said with certainty based on our fan base meltdown over signings at the moment. Tonight's fan forum is going to be an absolute shit show 🤣

I'm not sure. I think it will be really boring. Once Martin has made vague allusions to getting some people in and standard answers about finances I'm not sure what much there will, be left to say. 

• Like 1

Yep, seems very strange to think the management are just accepting the probability of relegation as we'll just get promoted next time and be better?! We have got to aim to survive and then build, which I'm sure is what they are trying to do.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dman said:

I want a lamborghini, but if I walk in the shop and offer £6k for it, I would know that I don't really have a true intention of buying it. 

The bids we put in were unrealistic. Carvallho went for nearly double what we supposedly bid. Whether he is worth that or not remains to be seen.

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm not sure. I think it will be really boring. Once Martin has made vague allusions to getting some people in and standard answers about finances I'm not sure what much there will, be left to say. 

Am sure he will reiterate that he thinks Baz will be the best keeper in the league again. 

38 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Exactly. Get relegated, have a go at winning it next season with a better squad. Keep Edwards, Wood, Taylor, Suga, best back four in the league, Armstrong best striker. All the kids we signed in 2022 will be one year away from being developed so will be better, we might even see Stewart for a couple of games.

What was the point of getting promoted if we can’t spend any of the extra income?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Yep, seems very strange to think the management are just accepting the probability of relegation as we'll just get promoted next time and be better?! We have got to aim to survive and then build, which I'm sure is what they are trying to do.

How much money would it cost us to survive? We've spent over £50m and we're at a par with how we finished last season. We'd need to spend another 50 just to give ourselvs a fighting chance. 

The irony is, we're not actually too far away. A GK (ramsdale), CM, and a decent number 9 would give us a real fighting chance.  Say Ramsdale, Oreily and Nketiah, that's the best part of £60m there. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Out of interest, why do people think that if we got relegated we would be able to keep the same team together in order to then storm next season's Championship? 

Surely it would be like any other season - even if we got relegated, any/ most of the players who did well would just get picked off and bought by other clubs. If for example Sugawara turns out to be amazing, he'd almost certainly want to stay in the top division and earn PL money, and someone would buy him. Same with THB or Downes or anyone else half decent. We'd be left with the players that other clubs felt weren't PL quality, and would have to rebuild again with players who were happy to play in the Championship, with all the risks that that involves. 

I'm not sure it's as simple as 'oh well, if we go down then this team would get straight back up again'. 

You're right in that I doubt we'd keep everyone,  but presumably we wouldn't be as bad a financial position as last time, so wouldn't have the same pressure to offload expensive players. 

9 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

What was the point of getting promoted if we can’t spend any of the extra income?

Given we're scraping the barrell in the PL, imagine how bad it'd have been if we'd stayed down... People are niave to how skint we are as a club. They'll hide behind FFP. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

You're right in that I doubt we'd keep everyone,  but presumably we wouldn't be as bad a financial position as last time, so wouldn't have the same pressure to offload expensive players. 

True, but they'd still have to want to stay and play in the Championship, take the pay cut and so on.  

Edited by Midfield_General

11 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

because football club owners these days aren't interested in winning things they're interested in returning a profit or massaging their ego by owning a football club. Anway, what with all the restrictions we've got preventing clubs from breaking into the elite we cant spend it anyway even if we had it.

Just now, Midfield_General said:

True, but they'd still have to want to stay and play in the Championship.  

THB will go, so will Downes, looks like we got a succession plan for that with Edwards and Wood signed for cheap prices but good championship players, neither of those will be first choice this season you'd think so will probably stay. If Bererton does well we can get top money for him as decent strikers are in short supply and he'll only be one year into a 3 year contract, if he stays he'll smash up the championship. Armstrong has proven he can do it in the championship and no prem team will want him, same goes for Manning and Taylor. So that's the defence and strikers sorted, midfield will need work but surely we can fix that between now and August 2025. I'd be confident we'd have a good go at coming straight back up.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Strange how we've seemed to accept that Stephens will be a starter for us this season (myself included). I'm not too pleased that we've signed two centre-backs and not improved our options at CB at all.

Try thinking about it this way:

We may have bought a Virgil Van Dyke at the price that Celtic would have paid, rather than the price we would have had to buy them from Celtic for. 

[or we may not have done - nothing is certain in life besides the unfairness of the PL]

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
clarity