Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

10 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

Boscombe linked with O’Riley.

Unlike Saints, they have the cash to get him.

Let's hope AA or Stewart score 20 goals this season and then maybe we get a £60m transfer fee for one of them. The next O'Riley on the block will be a lot easier to acquire then.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Linked in Italian press with Lazio keeper Christos Mandas...

https://x.com/CorSport/status/1822532249276883029?t=nHS2iLvzFNKYZB4nqVWSYg&s=19

Early part if video is all basic saves. A couple of very good saves (especially the free kick at 4:55, but a pretty horrible spill at 2:00. All keepers make errors I suppose. 

Did he play in the friendly?

People tend to forget that we've already spent £38m in this window on Downes and THB.

Because they've been with us for a year, the fact that they needed to be paid for slipped under the radar.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

People tend to forget that we've already spent £38m in this window on Downes and THB.

Because they've been with us for a year, the fact that they needed to be paid for slipped under the radar.

No one has forgotten. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Not knocking your post but never ceases to amuse me how many individuals post in Twitter dressing and recycling the same snippets as if it’s both gospel, and an exclusive insight. Think I read that word for word somewhere else this morning.

Won’t start to believe it’s possible until COT drop a few cryptic hints. 

We will drop hints if something is in the works - that's the agreement we have with our sources. At the moment there is nothing concrete, but the transfer window has not closed yet and we very rarely get all business doe in time for the start of the season (and what is essentially a dead rubber away at the Toon). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Alex will be in goal v Newcastle. It will take weeks to induct any new gk into RM play style. Months if they don’t  speak or understand good English. Lumley getting a run out basically confirms he’s reserve keeper for the foreseeable also. 

More noteworthy was Shea Charles total absence, BBD starting and the 15 minutes given to TP. Also of note was Jacks role as the defence midfield pivot and the acknowledgement that KWP might reprise Tella and JWP’s roles playing early fixtures last season until sold. 

Why on earth would it take a new goalkeeper weeks/months to understand RM's play style? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James said:

He would be a very decent signing. Is that reported anywhere or just a guess/suggestion?

Seen rumours that he will leave for a Premier League club and several are interested. Fee quoted at 15-18m Euros. Looks to be a real talent, strong, good finisher and 6' 2" so a decent height. 

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

We will drop hints if something is in the works - that's the agreement we have with our sources. At the moment there is nothing concrete, but the transfer window has not closed yet and we very rarely get all business doe in time for the start of the season (and what is essentially a dead rubber away at the Toon). 

Thanks, that’s most reassuring.

Careless talk costs lives and all that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Seen rumours that he will leave for a Premier League club and several are interested. Fee quoted at 15-18m Euros. Looks to be a real talent, strong, good finisher and 6' 2" so a decent height. 

All very true but if other Premier League teams are interested he’ll no doubt have more attractive options. Unless Tella has sold him the joys of Ocean Village and becoming a disciple of possession based football.

Perhaps it’ll be filed with Gakpo and Ramos at the end of the window. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

How do you know this?

I don't think people forgot but not signing them would have created a bigger hole for us to climb out of so it was always an assumption we would get them. But if you don't make changes that make you stronger than you are already prepared to go back down.  Those guys helped us steady the ship and get promoted now we need more power to keep us away from the bottom 5 teams   

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

All very true but if other Premier League teams are interested he’ll no doubt have more attractive options. Unless Tella has sold him the joys of Ocean Village and becoming a disciple of possession based football.

Perhaps it’ll be filed with Gakpo and Ramos at the end of the window. 

I guess eventually, by a process of elimination, we'll sign someone who is within our budget, at reasonable wages, is happy to come here and, of course, who nobody else wants 🙂

14 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

"Pass it to the defenders"

"Ok boss" 

Not quite. Under RM the goalkeeper position at Saints and the technical requirements associated with it have been transformed. Some might say not for the better but that’s not the point. It’s not like a “ conventional” gk position anymore. 

There are a multitude of new PBF positions to be learned and tactical responses to situations to be understood.

Understanding what your defenders and midfielders are going to do in our system, where they are going to be, even your forwards who can receive who best not, when and how to go long, and at any given moment is not an overnight thing. 

Planning and playing of set pieces and the high level of communication required needs time and great concentration. 

Lastly being thrown in at the deep end is not usually our style for such a crucial position - any position in starting line up usually, 

Thats why any new keeper will take weeks before he’s ready to play. And if he does not speak English that could extend to months. HTH. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Not quite. Under RM the goalkeeper position at Saints and the technical requirements associated with it have been transformed. Some might say not for the better but that’s not the point. It’s not like a “ conventional” gk position anymore. 

There are a multitude of new PBF positions to be learned and tactical responses to situations to be understood.

Understanding what your defenders and midfielders are going to do in our system, where they are going to be, even your forwards who can receive who best not, when and how to go long, and at any given moment is not an overnight thing. 

Planning and playing of set pieces and the high level of communication required needs time and great concentration. 

Lastly being thrown in at the deep end is not usually our style for such a crucial position - any position in starting line up usually, 

Thats why any new keeper will take weeks before he’s ready to play. And if he does not speak English that could extend to months. HTH. 

If the GK is better than McCarthy, and he's signed before Friday this week, he will start on Saturday.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Yet those who have already undergone this rigorous training to get them used to the RM system still continually make massive mistakes leading to goals/chances being conceded. Just a thought but perhaps it's the system that is at fault especially for a side like us who will never have the top players like say Man City who clearly can and do make the system work.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Worrying that they’re so seriously deluded - or have such a blind spot - regarding Bazunu.

Have to wonder what they’re smoking. 

Lavia and Livramento went right to their heads, and they thought every young talent they brought in, for whatever position, was going to be a world-beater they could maximise profits on fairly quickly. Even the owner got quoted as that not being a great approach (although, in fairness was just part of the recruitment, it was one they'd clearly sold him on)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, saintant said:

Yet those who have already undergone this rigorous training to get them used to the RM system still continually make massive mistakes leading to goals/chances being conceded. Just a thought but perhaps it's the system that is at fault especially for a side like us who will never have the top players like say Man City who clearly can and do make the system work.

I’m with you here. It’s the system that leads to the mistakes.

• Like 3

Now starts the links with the European footballers. I don't believe Sugawara and BBD, although started in England are the only talented and affordable players looking to play in the Premier League from Europe. We just need an actual scouting department for once.

• Like 1

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

I’m with you here. It’s the system that leads to the mistakes.

I don’t like the ‘system’ and tactics and not wishing to defend them.

But, the system doesn’t excuse the failure to regularly get down to low shots , or not being strong enough to stop them. That’s down to a crap GK. 

• Like 2

This is a genuine question.....not having a go. I remember thinking this towards the end of last season. We had many "heart in mouth" moments with the tippy-tapping around the back, in our own goal area, but how many of our 63 goals against were conceded whilst doing this? Don't actually remember that many.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

I don’t like the ‘system’ and tactics and not wishing to defend them.

But, the system doesn’t excuse the failure to regularly get down to low shots , or not being strong enough to stop them. That’s down to a crap GK. 

It’s the system that allows such shots in the first place. These shots are for the most part coming unchallenged from inside our own goal area. In no way is McCarthy a better goalkeeper than Bazunu. We’ve seen enough of him over the recent seasons to know that. There are significant differences between them but neither is anywhere near good enough for what we need

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It’s the system that allows such shots in the first place. These shots are for the most part coming unchallenged from inside our own goal area. In no way is McCarthy a better goalkeeper than Bazunu. We’ve seen enough of him over the recent seasons to know that. There are significant differences between them but neither is anywhere near good enough for what we need

None the less we owe our Premier place to Macca who was faultless in the Play off finals.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

This is a genuine question.....not having a go. I remember thinking this towards the end of last season. We had many "heart in mouth" moments with the tippy-tapping around the back, in our own goal area, but how many of our 63 goals against were conceded whilst doing this? Don't actually remember that many.

I know I got more used to them as set season went on. Martin looks to deliberately channel opposition attacks to where they are having to shoot at speed from certain angles, that have a lower chance of going in. It took a while for everyone to know how to implement it and it won't always work. But there's a reason for it happening, even if it looks like a disaster !one t is about to happen.

16 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Was really hoping we'd have a dependable GK in by now but each day that passes makes it more likely we'll still be waiting until the window "slams" shut. 

I think we’ll get one in, but I think it’ll be if the price is right at the end of the window.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I think even if the errors don't always lead to goals being conceded they can often create a sense of panic and nervousness that is not what you want particularly against Premier League opponents. Calmness is always better and tends to spread through the side rather than the feeling that everyone is running around like headless chickens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Remarkable that the best we have looked as a defensive unit under Martin was when he was forced to dispense with his 'technical transformation' in the play off games.  In this sense a 'conventional' goalkeeper certainly helped to get us promoted, quite a few fans are currently of the view that we now need a better conventional goalkeeper to stay up.  If Martin tries to overthink survival in this league we are toast.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Not many but a number of close calls. I very much doubt we would be that fortunate in the prem. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

None the less we owe our Premier place to Macca who was faultless in the Play off finals.

No we dont.

He wasn't faultless. None of his faults cost us.

The other squad members helped us get there as much, if not way more. 

• Like 4

Stan Collymore has us finishing bottom. I think on current squad (glaring lack of scoring goals or keeping them out) he is right. 
Need to pull rabbits out of hat, which is harder as rivals suddenly get cash. But a decent keeper is essential (on repeat for last five years)

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, DT said:

Stan Collymore has us finishing bottom. I think on current squad (glaring lack of scoring goals or keeping them out) he is right. 
Need to pull rabbits out of hat, which is harder as rivals suddenly get cash. But a decent keeper is essential (on repeat for last five years)

Not sure how Leicester finish anywhere other than 20th if the expected points deduction lands. Rumoured to be up to as much as 15 points!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DT said:

On the face of it, not an unrealistic or unfair prediction, but things can change between now and the end of the transfer window.....time will tell!

We will be signing a keeper I assure you. I can't promise it'll be Ramsdale, I can't promise it'll be Johnstone, I can't even promise they'll be any good but there will be a keeper coming in this transfer window.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, DT said:

Last time Stan Collymore finished on a bottom it was in a National Trust car park.

• Haha 13

15 minutes ago, DT said:

I wouldn't pay much attention to any of these predictions at this stage, the transfer window in the remaining weeks could shape or kill a teams season. I include ours in that.

• Like 1

I agree with him let's be realistic our squad desperately needs further investment. Without a half decent striker aswell we will be in the Championship.

Where are the goals coming from ? 

Stewart knackered 

AA was shite last time in Prem 

Mara dog shite 

Brereton will get a few 

We need a creative attack mid and striker proper Pelle / Lambert type focal point up top minimum 

27 minutes ago, DT said:

To be honest anyone with half a brain cell (and that might not include Stan) would predict us finishing 20th at the moment. That doesn't mean we will, but it would be the most logical prediciton.

Chelsea have just slashed another £50M + on Neto and are about to go again on Omorodion. I think there may be some decent opportunities for us there especially in the loan market. It also makes a complete mockery of FFP and illustrates why football is so broken.

34 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

We will be signing a keeper I assure you. I can't promise it'll be Ramsdale, I can't promise it'll be Johnstone, I can't even promise they'll be any good but there will be a keeper coming in this transfer window.

Oof. Can’t promise they will be any good? Ie worse than what we have? Wow. Such a glaring blind spot (if that’s not a contradiction)

1 minute ago, DT said:

Oof. Can’t promise they will be any good? Ie worse than what we have? Wow. Such a glaring blind spot (if that’s not a contradiction)

If/when we loan in a keeper to be second or third choice, there is going to be a proper meltdown on here.

• Like 2