Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

I said at the end of the season that we should look to sell anyone that was loaned out last season, as they either don't fit Russell's style, or don't want to be here. If we can recoup £25-30m on Alcaraz and Bella-Kotchap, it's a no brainer. Hopefully it goes straight towards O'Riley.

I still think we'll see Tall Paul, KWP amongst others leave.

Bednarek only has a year left on his contract, if a sizeable offer comes in for him, I think he'll go too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Apparently bid £26m for O'Riley. and we've had a €18m bid for Alcaraz come in.

Fingers crossed. The last 2 friendlies have shown that there is almost no creative spark in the starting 11. In fact, we seemed more creative when we brought the youngsters on; Edozie, Dibling and Ameyaw.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Apparently bid £26m for O'Riley. and we've had a €18m bid for Alcaraz come in from somewhere.

*edit just read previous posts, Flamengo.

If you're using "X" as your source for the supposed £26m O'Riley bid, it's a fake account. 

4 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

At least 15 mil is what they asked for when Man City inquired about Mandas. Unless we're considering a loan with either the option or no option to buy then I can't see us spending 15m to secure his services.

Is that sterling or euros? We paid £12 million for Baz.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

This would be amazing but would be surprised if we get him. Both Manchester clubs have been linked with him although he probably wouldn't be a regular starter for them.

Man City were looking at him to potentially be their number 2 when they thought Ederson was going to leave. Now he's staying I doubt they are interested. He was linked with Man Utd back in May and that doesn't seem to have come to anything. As you say having played the second half of the season for Lazio he's probably got a taste of being a number 1. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

At least 15 mil is what they asked for when Man City inquired about Mandas. Unless we're considering a loan with either the option or no option to buy then I can't see us spending 15m to secure his services.

Why not?

• Like 2

The Mandas GK rumour is a little out of the blue, don’t see there being any truth in that.

I would imagine we’re more in the loan market for a GK, purely given Bazunu will be out for a long period and we already have AM and JL collecting a wage.
I’m sure Russell Martin would like Bazunu to come back into the fold at some point down the line. It would make no sense to shell out money on a GK when it’s the middle and top of the pitch there are more pressing issues.

It’s just common sense. But then again some on social media love to latch on to a rumour and treat it as fact.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The Mandas GK rumour is a little out of the blue, don’t see there being any truth in that.

I would imagine we’re more in the loan market for a GK, purely given Bazunu will be out for a long period and we already have AM and JL collecting a wage.
I’m sure Russell Martin would like Bazunu to come back into the fold at some point down the line. It would make no sense to shell out money on a GK when it’s the middle and top of the pitch there are more pressing issues.

Still think it was a huge mistake to give McCarthy another deal and would love to know what he is earning. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

It’s just common sense. But then again some on social media love to latch on to a rumour and treat it as fact.

Maybe after a season with Baz in the sticks for RM, and now with 2 seasons of data to analyse, the club have quietly recognised that they were wrong to put him in the firing line so early. Maybe they sign a keeper on a 5 year contract, we keep him for 3. McCarthy is back up this season, and Baz back up for the 2 after. Then that keeper is sold and Baz becomes our no1 again?

I've nothing to back that up, but it's what I'd consider, assuming we were confident we could get Baz onboard with it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

Still think it was a huge mistake to give McCarthy another deal and would love to know what he is earning. 

Yes, I get getting carried away with the euphoria of going up and the part he ultimately did play in that but in the cold light of day they needed to assess it properly, say thanks very much and let him leave as his contact ended. To give him another 2 years is utterly crazy.

• Like 3

I guess it depends on the state of finances and squad planning to a degree. If we thought internally we had bigger priorities and perhaps GK would be covered by AM, JL and Baz then it would save a fee whilst we tackled other areas.

i don’t agree with that assessment but could see that being the logic. Cheaper to tie down Mecca than bring in fresh.

Hopefully his utter shite performances is preseason have set some alarm bells going and we course correct.

9 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Yeah but we have been an established premiership club for a long time with premiership revenue same as Leicester we had one season down on parachute payments and now we are back .

not really sure how you can compare that with tiny little Luton who have been out of the top flight for over 30 years and mainly a league one or two club ?

Nobody we are trying to sign who has the choice between Brentford and Saints is thinking ‘Saints were an established PL team for a while’…they are thinking ‘they came up via the play offs and start as the worst team in the league on paper’

but anyway, same as Leicester…sensible point…compare our summer to theirs…

• Like 1

No wonder misinformation is such an issue in society - some people are so easily taken in by clear and utter dross.

Mods should start issuing bans for people posting this shit (or posters stop posting out of embarassment for having no common sense).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I've nothing to back that up, but it's what I'd consider, assuming we were confident we could get Baz onboard with it

We wouldn’t need to get his approval. The club make decisions on signings and team selection. If he doesn’t like it he can ask to leave. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think that goalkeeper has been the most pressing issue for Southampton squads since Boruc was dropped.  If this position is not addressed before the close of the window it will be another layer of negligence or recklessness.  Maybe the outfield players we recruit will do enough to compensate and keep us up, but I will never understand why our board seem so prepared to gamble. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I guess it depends on the state of finances and squad planning to a degree. If we thought internally we had bigger priorities and perhaps GK would be covered by AM, JL and Baz then it would save a fee whilst we tackled other areas.

i don’t agree with that assessment but could see that being the logic. Cheaper to tie down Mecca than bring in fresh.

Hopefully his utter shite performances is preseason have set some alarm bells going and we course correct.

Agreed. I think a combination of their own willingness/ability to put in funds, club debts, PSR, that daft transfer window, the relegation and the knowledge of just how many players they'd need to bring in.

Alex's end of season performances made a big difference. Russ looked as though he was practically offering him a contract on the pitch after the final. I still argue he looked better because he was behind a team who could pass out quickly, in part due to Baz's strengths.

In the back of their minds, SR will also be looking at Baz coming back and being number 1 again.

The new deal may well have been on reduced terms, hitting the SR goal of reducing wages on individuals. Like THB, it immediately filled a massive gap, allowing them to move on.

Are we planning for a return to the Championship ? Certainly seems that way....

Get some lolly on the table and get some talent in for fuk sakes 🤣🤣🤣

Newcastle will smash us 5-0 I'm telling yas 

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

In the back of their minds, SR will also be looking at Baz coming back and being number 1 again.

The new deal may well have been on reduced terms, hitting the SR goal of reducing wages on individuals. Like THB, it immediately filled a massive gap, allowing them to move on.

When will the penny drop for SR about him ? 

2 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Are we planning for a return to the Championship ? Certainly seems that way....

Get some lolly on the table and get some talent in for fuk sakes 🤣🤣🤣

Newcastle will smash us 5-0 I'm telling yas 

I’m not sure you understand how negotiations work.

Just now, Badger said:

It's the pennies dropping in their minds that's the problem. They believe he is heir apparent to Pep led Man City team. The perfect possession based goalkeeper. They dream of 70 million coming their way along with the plaudits of being genius scouters and developers.

7 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

It's the pennies dropping in their minds that's the problem. They believe he is heir apparent to Pep led Man City team. The perfect possession based goalkeeper. They dream of 70 million coming their way along with the plaudits of being genius scouters and developers.

Worrying that they’re so seriously deluded - or have such a blind spot - regarding Bazunu.

Have to wonder what they’re smoking. 

1 minute ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

If he's on 100k a week that's around 4-5m for the year, there's always the possibility of only having to pay a percentage of his Arsenal weekly wage if he were to go on loan here so I find it hard to believe we're skint to the point we couldn't afford whatever we would end up paying for his wages.

19 minutes ago, Badger said:

SR?

The only person that selects Baz is RM. He was RMs choice last season, although hampered a lot by finances and contracts.

This season, it's a different matter. We had a completely clean slate this summer as both Lumley and McCarthy were out of contract. RM could do whatever he wanted in that position. Sign two keepers, sign one and loan one. Totally up to him where Baz would be placed in the pecking order. 

SR will no doubt have backed RM completely in his choice. 

6 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Not knocking your post but never ceases to amuse me how many individuals post in Twitter dressing and recycling the same snippets as if it’s both gospel, and an exclusive insight. Think I read that word for word somewhere else this morning.

Won’t start to believe it’s possible until COT drop a few cryptic hints. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Can I ask who is Dean James and how does he possibly know that these two people have spoken (which they are not allowed to do, so aren't going to advertise the fact if they did)?

I call complete and utter bullshit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Can I ask who is Dean James and how does he possibly know that these two people have spoken (which they are not allowed to do, so aren't going to advertise the fact if they did)?

Because he read it in another tweet or article. Which was probably equally as unreliable 

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Arsenal probably gave permission for them to speak. Though I think its fair to take it with a grain of salt until either Turkish or Farmer Fella posts a new picture that points to Aaron Ramsdale more clearly,  or someone verifies that Dean James is an Arsenal ITK, or more Arsenal reporters start echoing the story.

Edited by V.Johnathan.Wilson
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

If he's on 100k a week that's around 4-5m for the year, there's always the possibility of only having to pay a percentage of his Arsenal weekly wage if he were to go on loan here so I find it hard to believe we're skint to the point we couldn't afford whatever we would end up paying for his wages.

If he is on £120k a week, or maybe even more (who actually knows how much individuals earn?) thats £6.2m. Arsenal probably will want all of it paid and a loan fee on top of £5m-£10m. That's serious money for one year and will impact FFP. If we sign a player for £15m on a four year deal that will be £3.25m (per year to our FFP `tally') pus the wages, say £3m (£60k a week). 

I am sure the club would lie Ramsdale, but there will be a budget they must  stick to. It's a financial balancing act.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

RM’s the fucking idiot then. 

Let's see if they actually bring in another keeper or not. When they signed McCarthy on a two year deal, I didn't think they would add another, but they still might. 

If they don't then our keeping situation is on RM. 

In his defence, we are faced by tricky finances, so not easy to bring in quality players, but I struggle to see how a Prem side, with a £114m wage bill (or whatever it will be this season) can have McCarthy, Lumley and Baz as their squad of keepers.

Let’s be honest no one on here has a fucking clue.

Most people on here are taken in by rumours and gossip and believe it as fact.

I did exactly what I said I would and stuck a couple of fake rumours on rumours sites and they’ve ended up on here this summer - and on Twitter.

If we get a drubbing on Saturday I’m sure the club will react. 
Equally I’m pleased with the fact that we’re being smarter with money rather than being held to ransom.

There are plenty of other players around for a fraction of the price. Have some faith. And fucking hell some people please grow up.

Panic after the window closes, but you can’t control it, you have no effect on what the club do behind the scenes. Just have some sodding patience all round.

I’ve started muting a lot of the “fan pages” on Twitter because they post utter rubbish. SaintsHQ being one of them, JustSaints being another, they’re all clearly run by people that play FIFA and have probably not left school, but they’re so pessimistic. The whole timeline is at the moment and there’s no need for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alex will be in goal v Newcastle. It will take weeks to induct any new gk into RM play style. Months if they don’t  speak or understand good English. Lumley getting a run out basically confirms he’s reserve keeper for the foreseeable also. 

More noteworthy was Shea Charles total absence, BBD starting and the 15 minutes given to TP. Also of note was Jacks role as the defence midfield pivot and the acknowledgement that KWP might reprise Tella and JWP’s roles playing early fixtures last season until sold.