Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

No.  But most players aren’t worth their price tag.

But when we are not buying what we desperately need why spend that on a player that we already have?

That money should be spent on a keeper and a defensive midfielder because if Flyn gets injured….

1 hour ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Sh*t! 
Brentford and that guy Thomas Frank seem amazing at pulling through what they want....
They'll probably succeed in selling Toney for a billion. Especially now that Bournemouth have set the standard by getting 65 million pounds for Solanke 🤔

£65 Million for solanke - jesus christ ?

supply and demand i guess but that’s crazy !

• Like 3

So, 181 pages and the window closes in three weeks. I’m really worried that SR will not generate enough rumours, or indeed deals, to get this over the line to 200 before the whole thing bangs shut! Do we know what we are doing? Everything is way too quiet. How can the team survive in the EPL without generating sufficient hot air, sorry, committed, informed opinion, amongst the fan base?

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I think the club are stuck between a rock and a hard place with the fans this summer. There is a general illusion that we haven't spent enough or improved the team, but we had to spend a £40m outlay on two players to ensure we kept them. So there's £40m there to just stand still, but it was necessary and I can imagine there would be serious uproar had we not got either through the door.

Add the signings of Yuki, Edwards, Wood, BBD and you're looking at a current spend of upwards of £50m. For a club of our size, curtailed by FFP/PSR bollocks due to our splurge two years ago, that's a pretty heathy amount to have spent without any sales.

We clearly now need to get money in before we can spend anything else, which is probably the case for most clubs. Unfortunately we're in a league where Bournemouth, Fulham etc have upwards of £50m to spend just from player-sales.

Loans in the final week are where we will get our value. Convinced of it.

We can only loan 2 players though.

We need more than that.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, manji said:

even when I don’t post I get a mention. Guessing you are fishing for laughing emojis to boost your low self worth. While I’m here I don’t think SR are loaded but fairly sure they will back us . They said it’s a long term plan and as some of the more perceptive posters have pointed out we have spent a fair bit of money. The money Brentford have paid for Carvalho is insane I’d hate to go down that route. 
it’s a weird time does Tall Paul have a place in the team . I reckon Charly looks decent. There’s a PLPlayer in Aribo he was brilliant in Rangers Europa cup run the other season. Maybe they stick with those players they know how the team works. 
seriously whatever your agenda the management will have a very good idea what the team needs . Cannot for one minute believe there’s anyone saying let’s leave it how it is and we will wing it until January then have a rethink. 

There’s some well iffy teams in the PL as well Everton, Bournemouth, Ipswich, Wolves, Forest, Leicester, we will be fine 

Aribo isn’t a Prem player.

Plays the game at walking pace.

We need far more than that.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

It's remarkable how well they've done since losing the genius Rasmus Ankersen.

Yes,  I am extra sorry about that being from Denmark myself :( 

He probably has a huge salary being some kind of CEO (participating in bad decisions so far) at SFC Saints AND chairman in Gotzepe in Turkey 😠

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galway saint said:

£65 Million for solanke - jesus christ ?

supply and demand i guess but that’s crazy !

Totally crazy.
I suppose some regard him as the best English no. 9 in the premier league behind Ivan Toney.

Other crazy things:
L'pool sold him for 20 million to B'mouth. He scored 3 goals in 42 matches and B'mouth were relegated.
In the championship he started to bang them in , B'mouth went back to the PL after 2 seasons , and now he is probably regarded as a striker who scores every third match on average ; for a small PL team ,

and....
Liverpool collect 20 % of the 65 million pounds from the sell-on clause they agreed on with B'mouth back in 2018, which means Liverpool will potentially earn further 13 million pounds on Solanke 🙄

Edited by Kristian Loekkegaard

People who are annoyed we spaffed tens of millions of pounds up the wall on dross, are angry that we’re still not spending tens of millions of pounds.

Some people on here need to stop being absolute fannies when it comes to transfers. This isn’t FIFA or Football Manager. 😂

We’ll sign someone when we sign someone. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

As it says in your link: "With the exception of Welsh clubs competing in the competitions listed under Rule V.6.2, loans from a club in membership of another National Association do not count towards the above quotas.", so loans from overseas are allowed in addition to 2 from PL clubs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

£27.5m inclusive of add-ons for Carvalho.

Bloody nora. I didn't expect someone to come in and  pay what Liverpool wanted.  I'm running out of recommendations. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

People who are annoyed we spaffed tens of millions of pounds up the wall on dross, are angry that we’re still not spending tens of millions of pounds.

Some people on here need to stop being absolute fannies when it comes to transfers. This isn’t FIFA or Football Manager. 😂

I share that opinion as long as we do sign a couple of further new players or 3 in this window, which I think we will, but likely it won't happen until' the last day of the window.

10 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

As it says in your link: "With the exception of Welsh clubs competing in the competitions listed under Rule V.6.2, loans from a club in membership of another National Association do not count towards the above quotas.", so loans from overseas are allowed in addition to 2 from PL clubs.

Ah, that’s potentially very good news.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Bloody nora. I didn't expect someone to come in and  pay what Liverpool wanted.  I'm running out of recommendations. 

These kinda fees are starting to be the going rate in the prem now . I’m not expecting us to compete finically with the big boys,, but when you got teams like West Ham who you used to be on a par with spending double and can’t even compete with the likes of Brighton Brentford Fulham etc is there even much point in us being in the premiership ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Keep KWP 

Johnstone 10 million

Decent AM 15-20 million 

Striker - loan 

Winger- loan 

Sell ABK 12 million 

Sell Alcaraz 15 million 

Simple 

You’re assuming we paid those two ‘15million’ fees in one go. Doesn’t happen, we will still owe money on both of them.

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

These kinda fees are starting to be the going rate in the prem now . I’m not expecting us to compete finically with the big boys,, but when you got teams like West Ham who you used to be on a par with spending double and can’t even compete with the likes of Brighton Brentford Fulham etc is there even much point in us being in the premiership ?

Short answer? No. It's baffling, and so inherently problematic - to the point where it is almost pointless having promotions and relegations to and from the league.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

great post !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Our net spend so far this summer is only about £5m less than Brighton and we’re clearly looking to spend more in the next couple of weeks, so I don’t know where that idea has come from.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Our net spend so far this summer is only about £5m less than Brighton and we’re clearly looking to spend more in the next couple of weeks, so I don’t know where that idea has come from.

Agreed, I have no idea where all this ''We aren't spending money'' waffle is coming from. We've spent more than most this summer, and that's without any substantial sales.

Edited by S-Clarke

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure what your point is. 

It seems an odd line to complain we owe money on transfers, surely this means we are also owed money from sales but people seem to forget about that .

59 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Netspend is a different thing .. but we are still trying to buy players in the same price range as we where ten years ago .. Brighton and Brentford have both stepped up and bid 27 and  28 m for cavalho and o Riley ,.  That’s what I mean by not competing 

we are clearly shopping in a more bargain basement way 

Ad it stands we have last years championship side for the premiership . (Swap bbd for che ) are you happy with that ?

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Whose that?

Can’t find any info anywhere on this guy. Hope he makes it to the first team just so we can sing the Stan Bush classic… “DARE… Dare to be all your dreams tonight…”

12 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Netspend is a different thing .. but we are still trying to buy players in the same price range as we where ten years ago .. Brighton and Brentford have both stepped up and bid 27 and  28 m for cavalho and o Riley ,.  That’s what I mean by not competing 

Ad it stands we have last years championship side for the premiership . (Swap bbd for che ) are you happy with that ?

Do people just completely forget where we were last year and are they completely oblivious to others? Brighton have had Europe recently. Brentford are settling in as a PL team. We've just come up from the playoffs. I'm not sure who you think we are but we are very unlikely to compete with these teams right now. I didn't see Luton fighting off competition from Brighton last year for 20 million plus players so I'm not sure why you expect us to. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If Brighton get o'riley then people on here will put a brave face on it but it will be extremely disappointing and could deal a big blow to our season before it's even started. Even if in reality we can't afford him. 

You make no sense once you go in to panic mode and have to reach for the tenna pants . ‘It will be a big blow even if in reality we can’t afford him’ - talking like a flat earther.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

We're not though are we... £18 Mil for Downes £20 Mil for THB both would've been club transfer records back then.

Reality is we were relegated we don't have the funds of Brighton or Brentford. I don't think people realise how far the club fell in the last 3-4 years. We're not the same team that were regularly putting in performances against the big boys and punching above our weight into europe.

We're a struggling Premiership club that's just won promotion back to the league. It hurts, but that's the fact of the matter.

Edited by Hopper
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

You’re assuming we paid those two ‘15million’ fees in one go. Doesn’t happen, we will still owe money on both of them.

Works both ways - when we sign players we don't pay it all up front.

• Like 1

Sport republic are still worth 1.3billion according to wiki. Same as Brighton and more than Brentford.

We owe 93.6million in debt.

Surely taking a fine is an option and we can do a Everton and just get it reduced or a Leicester and have it not apply unless we're in the Premier league. Some think we're going down anyway 

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

Do people just completely forget where we were last year and are they completely oblivious to others? Brighton have had Europe recently. Brentford are settling in as a PL team. We've just come up from the playoffs. I'm not sure who you think we are but we are very unlikely to compete with these teams right now. I didn't see Luton fighting off competition from Brighton last year for 20 million plus players so I'm not sure why you expect us to. 

Yeah but we have been an established premiership club for a long time with premiership revenue same as Leicester we had one season down on parachute payments and now we are back .

not really sure how you can compare that with tiny little Luton who have been out of the top flight for over 30 years and mainly a league one or two club ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, saintant said:

Works both ways - when we sign players we don't pay it all up front.

Exactly. This seems to be the new bullshit spouted so much if becomes fact. A few years ago signing on fees and agents fees were the reason we couldn’t compete with other clubs now it’s because we owe money from previous transfers because unlike any other club in the wild we pay them upfront but when we sell players we do it like everyone else does 

• Like 1