Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Honestly, you can almost see why Forest just signed all the players they wanted and then took the points deduction and tried to make some quick sales to tidy the books up for the next season

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We aren't even in Lidl. Our level is the Charity shops.

We'll be scratching around in the food banks if we can't get some players sold for hard cash.

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

So why have we been trying to sign Matt O'Brien?

I don’t know who that is but I think you are taking about the Celtic lad, in which case we have been bidding within our limits, hence why we haven’t got him.

So you think FFP has nothing to do with it and the owners are being tight, right?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Is that because you watched him or because he signed for Stoke a few weeks back?

Well, having moved to Stoke doesn't make him a non ex Blackburn striker. He always will be an ex Blackburner (and ex Saints player) 😊
I actually hope he does well at Stoke, who could be an outsider for promotion imo , despite a lot of chaos apparently in recent years.

I think the club are stuck between a rock and a hard place with the fans this summer. There is a general illusion that we haven't spent enough or improved the team, but we had to spend a £40m outlay on two players to ensure we kept them. So there's £40m there to just stand still, but it was necessary and I can imagine there would be serious uproar had we not got either through the door.

Add the signings of Yuki, Edwards, Wood, BBD and you're looking at a current spend of upwards of £50m. For a club of our size, curtailed by FFP/PSR bollocks due to our splurge two years ago, that's a pretty heathy amount to have spent without any sales.

We clearly now need to get money in before we can spend anything else, which is probably the case for most clubs. Unfortunately we're in a league where Bournemouth, Fulham etc have upwards of £50m to spend just from player-sales.

Loans in the final week are where we will get our value. Convinced of it.

• Like 17

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think the club are stuck between a rock and a hard place with the fans this summer. There is a general illusion that we haven't spent enough or improved the team, but we had to spend a £40m outlay on two players to ensure we kept them. So there's £40m there to just stand still, but it was necessary and I can imagine there would be serious uproar had we not got either through the door.

Add the signings of Yuki, Edwards, Wood, BBD and you're looking at a current spend of upwards of £50m. For a club of our size, curtailed by FFP/PSR bollocks due to our splurge two years ago, that's a pretty heathy amount to have spent without any sales.

We clearly now need to get money in before we can spend anything else, which is probably the case for most clubs. Unfortunately we're in a league where Bournemouth, Fulham etc have upwards of £50m to spend just from player-sales.

Loans in the final week are where we will get our value. Convinced of it.

I hope you're right and generally agree with the perspective you've given. Also, if you're going to spend £27.5m and it's on someone who isn't Matt O'Riley that would probably play slightly strangely with the fanbase - and likely the manager, based on what we've heard

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

£27.5m is too much, so not surprised. Clarke being touted at £20-25m would be a good alternative at the lower end of their price range.

Jack scored today in Sunderland's 2-0 win at Cardiff.

1 hour ago, Appy said:

Carvalho to Brentford confirmed by Romano

Sh*t! 
Brentford and that guy Thomas Frank seem amazing at pulling through what they want....
They'll probably succeed in selling Toney for a billion. Especially now that Bournemouth have set the standard by getting 65 million pounds for Solanke 🤔

• Like 2

Always worth remembering the club briefed quite a few weeks ago we were unlikely to sign O'Riley and then a few days ago told everyone we have pulled out of deals that have gone too high. Between then O'Riley's price has only gone up.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Manji would disagree with that 

even when I don’t post I get a mention. Guessing you are fishing for laughing emojis to boost your low self worth. While I’m here I don’t think SR are loaded but fairly sure they will back us . They said it’s a long term plan and as some of the more perceptive posters have pointed out we have spent a fair bit of money. The money Brentford have paid for Carvalho is insane I’d hate to go down that route. 
it’s a weird time does Tall Paul have a place in the team . I reckon Charly looks decent. There’s a PLPlayer in Aribo he was brilliant in Rangers Europa cup run the other season. Maybe they stick with those players they know how the team works. 
seriously whatever your agenda the management will have a very good idea what the team needs . Cannot for one minute believe there’s anyone saying let’s leave it how it is and we will wing it until January then have a rethink. 

There’s some well iffy teams in the PL as well Everton, Bournemouth, Ipswich, Wolves, Forest, Leicester, we will be fine 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Any comment / update from Russ after the game? Not that his last one was particularly useful.

Still hoping to get '1 or 2' in the door this week is what I heard.

''Sometimes they seem closer, then it goes away again, then it comes back to life again''

Edited by S-Clarke

6 minutes ago, manji said:

even when I don’t post I get a mention. Guessing you are fishing for laughing emojis to boost your low self worth. While I’m here I don’t think SR are loaded but fairly sure they will back us . They said it’s a long term plan and as some of the more perceptive posters have pointed out we have spent a fair bit of money. The money Brentford have paid for Carvalho is insane I’d hate to go down that route. 
it’s a weird time does Tall Paul have a place in the team . I reckon Charly looks decent. There’s a PLPlayer in Aribo he was brilliant in Rangers Europa cup run the other season. Maybe they stick with those players they know how the team works. 
seriously whatever your agenda the management will have a very good idea what the team needs . Cannot for one minute believe there’s anyone saying let’s leave it how it is and we will wing it until January then have a rethink. 

There’s some well iffy teams in the PL as well Everton, Bournemouth, Ipswich, Wolves, Forest, Leicester, we will be fine 

If signing Carvalho is something you don’t want us to do…. Given this is the greatest era in our history, what do you want us to do?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Sh*t! 
Brentford and that guy Thomas Frank seem amazing at pulling through what they want....
They'll probably succeed in selling Toney for a billion. Especially now that Bournemouth have set the standard by getting 65 million pounds for Solanke 🤔

It's remarkable how well they've done since losing the genius Rasmus Ankersen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, manji said:

Nor particularly worried about laughing faces etc. Just remember the fact that you were banging on about SR having massive amounts of funds. No need to reply with pathetic insults. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1