Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Just now, ally_uk said:

I'd take Broja allday long I mentioned it on here recently 👍  good shout 

Top target for me personally. The ONE CF I want to lead the line. Strong, Powerful and Quick.

• Like 2

I'd take Broja on a really favourable loan deal, but nothing else.

He doesn't look to be the same player we had, but maybe he can get back there with a serious run of games.

It'd need to be something like a buy option/obligation if he plays a certain number of games etc. 

I think that the principal reason for Lallana's acrimonious departure and pending return is being missed by most posters on here - the council has finally granted planning permission for his floodlit basketball court. 

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Amazed so many are against the idea of Broja.

I saw a player who was making his first steps at PL level who had all the attributes to be a really good PL striker: pace, power, finishing ability and an ability to create something for himself.

That he hasnt shown it since is down to a.) injury and b.) lack of opportunity/confidence in him.

Assuming the former hasn't significantly hampered him - which is hard for anyone to really judge admittedly - then if a club provides the latter I see no reason why he wouldn't be really successful.

Aside from Ings he was easily the best striker we have had for ages and in his best spell he really troubled top PL centre backs which isn't easy to do and when signing someone who has never played in the PL you have no clue if they even have the ability to do that or not. We know Broja can.

The fact he will now be available for much less and therefore affordable for us is just a bonus.

Injury has slowed him down, and he relied on explosive pace. 

It would be a huge gamble, like Stewart. As with Lallana and Ings, if our scouting department has anything about it, they should be able to find better. 

• Like 10

We need to be offloading players who aren’t good enough, not filling the squad out with them. Why so many people are keen to collect all the has beens from seasons gone by I can’t fathom. If Lallana, Ings and Broja had never played for us before and we signed the three of them, most people would be furious. Thankfully Lallana is the only one we may have to tolerate.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Saint_lambden said:

- Defensive Midfielder (Downes the obvious preference but need to have a natural cut-off if West Ham delay their decision on whether to let him go. Definitely need to look at other targets in case they want to keep him and/or he wants to stay there)

Absolutely! I’m feeling very queasy about the Downes situation, and the club has some hard thinking – and negotiating - to do.

He fulfils a pivotal role – not just in Martin’s system but in the PL generally. We’re all aware of the stark difference in our results when Downes was not in the side, but many of us think that the 2022-23 season wouldn't have been as catastrophic if we’d been able to keep Romeu. It's crucial that we don't screw this up.

We’ll only sign Downes if West Ham decide not to keep him, and they may not make that decision until late in the window, leaving us scrambling if they decide to take him back. Moreover, while I have no doubts about Flynn's ability, I have some reservations about his DURability. Romeu was built like a brick shithouse but Downes certainly isn’t, and he also dealt with some non-injury health issues this year. We've got wide attacking options coming our of our ying-yang but we're woefully shallow in this vital position.

West Ham were counting on selling Paqueta for big money, but that’s unlikely to happen now. I think we need to take an aggressive position with them – make a reasonable offer and attach a deadline for acceptance. If we pull it off, sign a solid backup. If we don’t, start looking for a quality starting DM and a backup.

Dithering over this could be disastrous, and we've certainly been known to dither.

• Like 11

So many players move away and do very little - Ings, Broja, Lavia (played something like 32 mins all season) and going back you have a mixed bag of Schneiderlin, Shaw (early years etc).

Just goes to show what a lottery signing players is and it's sometimes the team around them that can make them look good.

I won't ever understand why a player like Lavia who left Man City to us to get game time, joins an equally difficult to penetrate team.   Even money is less of a factor now as the lowliest player is raking in £millions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alain Perrin said:

So many players move away and do very little - Ings, Broja, Lavia (played something like 32 mins all season) and going back you have a mixed bag of Schneiderlin, Shaw (early years etc).

Just goes to show what a lottery signing players is and it's sometimes the team around them that can make them look good.

I won't ever understand why a player like Lavia who left Man City to us to get game time, joins an equally difficult to penetrate team.   Even money is less of a factor now as the lowliest player is raking in £millions.

Lavia in fairness got injured after 32 minutes and was out for the season. I think he would have been starting for them...although we obviously knew how fragile he was as we kept taking him off with 20+ minutes to go in every game.

44 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

Absolutely! I’m feeling very queasy about the Downes situation, and the club has some hard thinking – and negotiating - to do.

He fulfils a pivotal role – not just in Martin’s system but in the PL generally. We’re all aware of the stark difference in our results when Downes was not in the side, but many of us think that the 2022-23 season wouldn't have been as catastrophic if we’d been able to keep Romeu. It's crucial that we don't screw this up.

We’ll only sign Downes if West Ham decide not to keep him, and they may not make that decision until late in the window, leaving us scrambling if they decide to take him back. Moreover, while I have no doubts about Flynn's ability, I have some reservations about his DURability. Romeu was built like a brick shithouse but Downes certainly isn’t, and he also dealt with some non-injury health issues this year. We've got wide attacking options coming our of our ying-yang but we're woefully shallow in this vital position.

West Ham were counting on selling Paqueta for big money, but that’s unlikely to happen now. I think we need to take an aggressive position with them – make a reasonable offer and attach a deadline for acceptance. If we pull it off, sign a solid backup. If we don’t, start looking for a quality starting DM and a backup.

Dithering over this could be disastrous, and we've certainly been known to dither.

Yeah, the Flynn Downes situation is likely to be very tricky. I've read reports that their new manager wants to have a look at him in pre-season friendlies which obviously cuts it fine if we end up not getting him.

4 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Think Armstrong wants a career in Law after he finishes playing. 

Six years to become a basic solicitor after the law degree while you work on mundane tasks like property searches or probate inheritance allowances .

Contrast that with the cut and thrust of the premiership touchline (and the salary). Is there a choice ?

it’s stu’s choice and I’ll respect whatever he chooses. He’s clearly smarter than the average midfielder (apart from Socrates).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

We need to be offloading players who aren’t good enough, not filling the squad out with them. Why so many people are keen to collect all the has beens from seasons gone by I can’t fathom. If Lallana, Ings and Broja had never played for us before and we signed the three of them, most people would be furious. Thankfully Lallana is the only one we may have to tolerate.

I haven't seen anyone saying they want Lallana. Let's not start creating any more saints myths. 

• Like 1

Love to sign Jobe Belligham from Sunderland. At 18 he already looks as though he'll be following in the footsteps of brother Jude. Scored a cracker at St Marys. I realise the competition will be stiff but I think he'd be a good fit for us and he has time on his side at 18 and will inevitably end up at one of the big clubs. I can dream.

• Like 6

I did see that 

13 minutes ago, Poggs said:

Those who deserted Southampton and now past their best before date are queuing up to come back. No thanks.

I saw some people saying they want Bella Kotchap back. He fucked off when we went down and then fancies it again now we've been promoted? No chance. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I did see that 

I saw some people saying they want Bella Kotchap back. He fucked off when we went down and then fancies it again now we've been promoted? No chance. 

but he's here, with a long contract. So unless someone comes in for him, you either integrate him back into the side or you pay him a massive wage to play in the reserves.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

but he's here, with a long contract. So unless someone comes in for him, you either integrate him back into the side or you pay him a massive wage to play in the reserves.

I reckon we could send him on loan and get at least some of his wages paid. Team morale and spirit is what is required next year and we don't want anything from the relegation season to taint that. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I did see that 

If Bella kotchap can contribute I’d happily see him back. Seems very much a cut your nose off to spite your face attitude to want him gone at all costs.

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, saintant said:

Love to sign Jobe Belligham from Sunderland. At 18 he already looks as though he'll be following in the footsteps of brother Jude. Scored a cracker at St Marys. I realise the competition will be stiff but I think he'd be a good fit for us and he has time on his side at 18 and will inevitably end up at one of the big clubs. I can dream.

One thing you can say about the Bellingham brothers is they are very well advised and level headed they appear to move to progress their careers not their and their parents bank balances. Jude has obviously make the right moves for his career despite interest from bigger clubs when he was a teenager  so if Jobe wants a move to a club where he’ll get first team football most weeks playing a decent style of football then it might not be as fanciful as you might think. Seems like he too is destined for much bigger things long term though. 

• Like 3

Just now, Turkish said:

One thing you can say about the Bellingham brothers is they are very well advised and level headed they appear to move to progress their careers not their and their parents bank balances. Jude has obviously make the right moves for his career despite interest from bigger clubs when he was a teenager  so if Jobe wants a move to a club where he’ll get first team football most weeks playing a decent style of football then it might not be as fanciful as you might think. Seems like he too is destined for much bigger things long term though. 

Agree, I just watched a skills video of him and it was almost like watching a clone of Jude.  He's almost certain to go right to the top but maybe we could make a shrewd move now and, as you say, offer him regular playing time in the Premier League. I'm convinced he'd handle the step up even at such a young age. Sunderland would obviously want a sell-on clause but it could be great business for us if we could swing it. 

11 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Don't recall too many people objecting when Surman joined back in January. 

Surman had retired, was a fully qualified coach and had done the job for a year at Bournemouth before taking a role at Saints.

Flynn Downes situation really is tricky. Crucial to Martin's philosophy but it will clearly take time and serious money to praise him away from West Ham.

Added complication that Saints are in the same league, they'll be wary of strengthening a competitor.

That means an alternative option will be required early doors.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Flynn Downes situation really is tricky. Crucial to Martin's philosophy but it will clearly take time and serious money to praise him away from West Ham.

Added complication that Saints are in the same league, they'll be wary of strengthening a competitor.

That means an alternative option will be required early doors.

Forrest had a similar issue with Garner. He was fundamental to the way they played in their promotion season. They tried all summer to sign him from united, eventually failed and it left a gaping hope in their midfield (I guess not too similar to our failure to sign Broja). I hope we have three or four very good options.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I reckon we could send him on loan and get at least some of his wages paid. Team morale and spirit is what is required next year and we don't want anything from the relegation season to taint that. 

On that logic, we would also need to offload KWP, Bednarek and AA then.

Did ABK kick up a fuss to leave? Or was it more a case of us needing to get his wages off the books after relegation? I honestly don't know but I'm not going to write him off. He clearly has quality and it should be remembered he is still very young and nowhere near the finished article for a CB. The only serious question mark for me is over his recurring shoulder injury and whether that is likely to hamper him for his whole career.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

If Bella kotchap can contribute I’d happily see him back. Seems very much a cut your nose off to spite your face attitude to want him gone at all costs.

4 league games for PSV and 3 for their reserves over the course of a whole season suggests he might struggle to contribute anything other than a financial drain.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

4 league games for PSV and 3 for their reserves over the course of a whole season suggests he might struggle to contribute anything other than a financial drain.

ABK wouldn't get in the team at present. He will be on a bench --either having treatment or being a sub. 

30 minutes ago, Chez said:

Surman had retired, was a fully qualified coach and had done the job for a year at Bournemouth before taking a role at Saints.

He didn't want to leave but we needed the cash.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

He might not but he's worth having a look at as he is an extremely talented player who's played for Germany.

If we hadn't have gone up he'd have gone 100% for the money. Now we're in a financial position where we don't need to sell him, I reckon he stays, kmowing that if he has a good season he'll likely get a decent move, and we'll get £30M plus, not £15M. Win win situation

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Hasn't he got a serious injury ?

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

RM was a big fan of him, IIRC.

Just went to check the quotes. Definitely spoke highly of him at the time.

"Armel just excites you by looking at him because of his sheer size and physicality. When you look at him, he is an imposing guy. When I shook his hand on the first day, I thought he was huge. He possesses unbelievable athleticism and physicality.

"If he is here, I will be really excited to work with him because I think he can definitely help us, and we can help him. It's in his own interest, and our own, to get him fit and see what happens then."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

"Armel just excites you by looking at him because of his sheer size and physicality. When you look at him, he is an imposing guy. When I shook his hand on the first day, I thought he was huge. He possesses unbelievable athleticism and physicality.

"If he is here, I will be really excited to work with him because I think he can definitely help us, and we can help him. It's in his own interest, and our own, to get him fit and see what happens then."

You only  have to recall ABK's first 6-8 games in the Prem, prior to the shoulder injury to know that he could be a big asset to Saints again at CB with someone like THB alongside.   Dependent on his fitness; his mentality and a return to that early form.   Big "ifs" of course.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Sounds like RM was keen to keep him, at that early point, so you would think it was ABK and his agent that pushed for the move - but you can't be 100% certain. There was a lot of murmurings about several disgruntled players wanting out in the summer and when players left we just joined the dots. 

Highly likely the ones that left were the ones that wanted out. But a few that stayed may also have wanted out, but we couldn't find the right buyer.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Sounds like RM was keen to keep him, at that early point, so you would think it was ABK and his agent that pushed for the move - but you can't be 100% certain. There was a lot of murmurings about several disgruntled players wanting out in the summer and when players left we just joined the dots. 

Highly likely the ones that left were the ones that wanted out. But a few that stayed may also have wanted out, but we couldn't find the right buyer.

Indeed. Armstrong (S), Bednarek & Adams were all players who wanted out last summer and stuck around, plus Armstrong (A) was also expected to leave. I imagine there's a few more as RM did mention a 3rd of the squad on his 1st day told him they wanted out. 

Edited by SaintNewForest

5 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Indeed. Armstrong (S), Bednarek & Adams were all players who wanted out last summer and stuck around, plus Armstrong (A) was also expected to leave. I imagine there's a few more as RM did mention a 3rd of the squad on his 1st day told him they wanted out. 

I never heard anything baiut bednarek wanting out. 

very mixed opinions on the idea of " the Return of the Magnificent 7 " , (well not quite all of them yet)... but clearly if we do sign / re-sign

the likes of Lallana and /or Ings  they clearly won't be getting 3-4 year contracts, but their experience can be invaluable and help stabilise 

and encourage all in the dressing room, at least for the first year or two back in the Prem. 

Saints are never going to pay 40 or 50 million for any player  (as the "rich" clubs do regularly), but if we can get the right sort of deals and buy in 

talents that will be the foundation for the next generation .   We aren't talking about 90 minute players every week, but those who can give a good 

60 minutes on a regular basis, or come off the bench for the last 30 , and be impact players.    Survival is key in the first season back.

We finished well, but with a Championship squad that included half-a-dozen loan players, (but they won't all be with us next season), but we need  

fresh blood longer term, but their sort of experience can't be bought on our budget, and those who may recall happier days at SMS might welcome 

the chance to finish their careers with Saints.   Some may have left us with mixed feelings, but .. " Once a Saint ..................... "

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Pretty sure he's recovered now hasn't he? 

He had the very much needed surgery on his shoulder last season, I believe. 

Would expect him to be fit and ready for next season. 

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I never heard anything baiut bednarek wanting out. 

Think it was a combination  of the prospect of playing Championship football..... and also retaining his place in the Poland team. 

I think his sojourn at Villa was a punishment for the fallout with ..whoever was  " the manager of the month " at the time. 

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I did see that 

To be fair, he has had a taste of the germany squad and in a eruos year, probably didn't see the championship as the best place to showcae his ability to get back into that squad. 

My biggest concern with him is that he seems to 1. get injured all the time or 2. "get injured" when the going gets tough. 

Wouldn't mind him coming back for a season though, in a back 3 next to 2 of THB, Stephens, Bednerak, I think that would be a nice balance. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

When are the "summer departures" usually officially announced?

I think a few names are still in " the pending tray" .    It's obviously a tough task to have to release anyone...

especially for Academy boys who might have been with the club for  8-10 years already, and now must look elsewhere for another club .

I recall Gordon Strachan said (in interview)...that when he took over at Coventry, he told a youngster he had to let him go... and the lad burst into tears. 

Details usually out around now, but maybe it's " diplomatic"  -  not to sack anyone in the same week that we get promotion?

• Like 1

Priority must surely be a goalkeeper, a CDM or CM (either instead of or with Downes) and a striker...? 

Our squad did a brilliant job getting up but I suspect a few of the players just won't cut it at that level. As others have said, plenty of players who we still need to shift from our relegation from the Prem still.