Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Why is anyone wanting to sign Broja? He had a decent 2-3 months during the early part of his loan spell with us 3 years ago and since then has done absolutely nothing. He was shocking at Fulham, I didn't even realise he was there until March.

Poor attitude as well. Honestly, one good purple patch but otherwise he's done very little with us and at Fulham ... don't get the hype at all. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

His name keeps cropping up, I can't think why. He doesn't fit our style. He is a busted flush. And even when he was here in his better days before his injury he had games when he just 'disappeared', not interested. No thanks.

In what way would he not fit our style? Not saying if be particularly interested in signing him but I can't see how he wouldn't fit us. 

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Why is anyone wanting to sign Broja? He had a decent 2-3 months during the early part of his loan spell with us 3 years ago and since then has done absolutely nothing. He was shocking at Fulham, I didn't even realise he was there until March.

Looks like one poster has said they'd like to sign him. 

3 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Poor attitude as well. Honestly, one good purple patch but otherwise he's done very little with us and at Fulham ... don't get the hype at all. 

When being linked with a former player, I always ask myself how I'd feel about the signing if they hadn't got history with us. With this one, I'd be absolutely baffled. I wouldn't even be happy about signing Broja if we hadn't gone up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Chez said:

Inside the club, the first team, the wider fan base or just on here?

Just on here I suspect..

Nobody has many illusions but we do have a particularly depressive group here, even without Alpine..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Winnersaint said:

Is it me? Or has the euphoria and togetherness of 26/05 gone through the floor more quickly than expected?

Mainly on here I suspect. A bit understandable. Last season was a real mixture of (mainly) highs and (some) lows. We managed to finish on an unforgettable high at Wembley, when we acheived our return to the "Promised Land" of the EPL. Since then, reality has kicked in and the (percieved) lack of any "Marquee" signings, and the realistic prospect of there not being any, has brought home the fact that next season is liable to be a struggle rather than a triumphant return.

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

No, I agree, but that doesn't mean that we were ready. Just because we couldn't afford to stay down does not mean the club was in a position to be promoted and to be able to compete in the Prem. It's not one or the other. 

Pretty much no teams is ever "ready" for the Premier League.

It's not "one or the other", it's all promoted clubs ever.

• Like 1

Apologies for the long post and appreciate I may be in the minority here but I am of the view that Broja would be a good signing, and here is why:

- He has shown that when fit and in good form he can really trouble the best defenders in the league. During the purple patch he had for us he really looked like a top striker. Remember he had great games versus West Ham and Man Utd, bith away, where their defenders couldnt live with him. Clearly a small sample but he showed a level that others strikers (Adams, Arma etc) just aren't capable of.

- Around that time he looked like a £30m+ player and Chelsea then wanted him back and weren't keen on a sale (at least Saints and WH were very keen). He then got a bad injury but one that these days the vast majority of players recover very strongly from.

- So the issue is, has his injury significantly changes the potential he showed? Obviously scouts and prosective buyers would have more data/medicals etc to truely determine that, but he hasnt really played enough for Chelsea (basketcase club with no patience) and Fulham to say that it has. He barely played for Fulham largely because Muniz suddenly went on a great run and made himself undropable (whilst probably tripling his value to Fulham).

- Then there is the question of what other options we have at that price bracket. The answer is not many and pretty much anyone will be flawed in some way, either just not being PL quality, being injury prone or totally unproven. At least with Broja we know that at his best he has a high level where he could create and score out of not a lot - we don't have anyone like that.

Anything in that position will be a punt and I think Broja still has the potential to be good now and develop further into a really good PL player. He is only 22 so even if he disnt do well but largely retain his value at £20m. He needs to find a home where he is wanted and trusted and can settle and find that level again.

Would certainly rather spend £20m on him than another Onuachu type from a poor league. Of course a loan with option or obligation depending on apps would be ideal and realistic IMO.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Apologies for the long post and appreciate I may be in the minority here but I am of the view that Broja would be a good signing, and here is why:

- He has shown that when fit and in good form he can really trouble the best defenders in the league. During the purple patch he had for us he really looked like a top striker. Remember he had great games versus West Ham and Man Utd, bith away, where their defenders couldnt live with him. Clearly a small sample but he showed a level that others strikers (Adams, Arma etc) just aren't capable of.

- Around that time he looked like a £30m+ player and Chelsea then wanted him back and weren't keen on a sale (at least Saints and WH were very keen). He then got a bad injury but one that these days the vast majority of players recover very strongly from.

- So the issue is, has his injury significantly changes the potential he showed? Obviously scouts and prosective buyers would have more data/medicals etc to truely determine that, but he hasnt really played enough for Chelsea (basketcase club with no patience) and Fulham to say that it has. He barely played for Fulham largely because Muniz suddenly went on a great run and made himself undropable (whilst probably tripling his value to Fulham).

- Then there is the question of what other options we have at that price bracket. The answer is not many and pretty much anyone will be flawed in some way, either just not being PL quality, being injury prone or totally unproven. At least with Broja we know that at his best he has a high level where he could create and score out of not a lot - we don't have anyone like that.

Anything in that position will be a punt and I think Broja still has the potential to be good now and develop further into a really good PL player. He is only 22 so even if he disnt do well but largely retain his value at £20m. He needs to find a home where he is wanted and trusted and can settle and find that level again.

Would certainly rather spend £20m on him than another Onuachu type from a poor league. Of course a loan with option or obligation depending on apps would be ideal and realistic IMO.

Delap was 20 million for Ipswich and given the choice I think I'd rather have Broja. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dusic said:

My thoughts on this are much simpler. What has he actually done since that short purple patch with us? How does his goal return compare with e.g. Che Adams? He seems to have scored a total of 18 goal in his career. I would love to be wrong, but what is the attraction?

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2020– Chelsea 26 (2)
2020–2021  Vitesse (loan) 30 (10)
2021–2022  Southampton (loan) 32 (6)
2024  Fulham (loan) 8 (0)
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Pretty much no teams is ever "ready" for the Premier League.

It's not "one or the other", it's all promoted clubs ever.

Dont agree with that so think we'll have to agree to disagree. However, if you've spent multiple seasons in the Championship you can benefit from a lack of spending and spend lots to fit in with PSR (see Forest for instance). We are more in the Burnley camp that can't spend enough due to previous spending within the PL/low commercial income. 

• Haha 1

Whilst they are not new signings, and not enough on their own, but I wonder how much the improvements and increased maturity of our talented younger players impacts on our transfer activity.

I know Larios is seen as a player who will play in the premier league when he is ready.

Dibling could easily be a regularly starter by the end of the season.

Sam AA is likely to be getting a lot of game time.

Smallbone - last month of the season / play offs probably our best players and only 24.

Clearly I want us to add quality and think we need to, but in the comparisons to last season I would be very surprised and disappointed if those three can't add more than Stu, Brooks and Rothwell.

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I said that's what we would likely be paying if we were interested. 

No, you said it would make "financial sense". If you didn't think he was worth that it wouldn't make good financial sense. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Haha 1

Just now, Farmer Saint said:

No, you said it would make "good financial sense". If you didn't think he was worth that it wouldn't make good financial sense. 

If we are signing him then it's financially sensible to sign him next ext season rather than this year. Not sure how that's difficult to understand? 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

If we are signing him then it's financially sensible to sign him next ext season rather than this year. Not sure how that's difficult to understand? 

If a player is worth £5m, then signing him for £20m does not make financial sense, whether it's last year, this year or next year. Not sure how that's difficult to understand?

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Dont agree with that so think we'll have to agree to disagree. However, if you've spent multiple seasons in the Championship you can benefit from a lack of spending and spend lots to fit in with PSR (see Forest for instance). We are more in the Burnley camp that can't spend enough due to previous spending within the PL/low commercial income. 

If you are using Nottingham Forest, who signed about 30 players in their pre-season as an example of a club that was "ready" for the Premier League then I am sorry but I really don't know what you are talking about.

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

If you are using Nottingham Forest, who signed about 30 players in their pre-season as an example of a club that was "ready" for the Premier League then I am sorry but I really don't know what you are talking about.

I'm not, I'm using them as an example that had the opportunity to spend.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So you can't name club that was "ready" then.

I didn't realise that was the game, but ok - Villa 2019, Leeds 2020, Brentford 2021, Fulham 2022, possibly Bournemouth 2022. All had good spines they could build around.

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sandwichsaint said:

Just reality kicking in, after paying out for THB and Downes we are left with enough small change for half a Solanke. PL is evermore a rich man's plaything, we are just there to make up the numbers. 

It was ever thus. I can just about remember our first promotion. We had as much chance then as we do now of winning the title. Nothing has changed apart from the money.

Broja would be a decent signing, but let’s not mistake that for how some perceive him on here as a £30-40M player, he just isn’t that good.

One good purple patch over a month does not make him groundbreaking.

Shea Charles not in the squad, interesting. 

Realistically who do we think will leave by the end of the window:
Onuachu, Bella-Kotchap, Charles, Lis.
KWP maybe?

I think we’ll be lucky to generate £20 from those sales.

Alcaraz and Sulemana’s cameos and trips abroad for pre-season imply to me they’re more part of the plans than others.

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

Bloody hell, woke up to 3 unread pages thinking we might have got further with some potential signings or new links and it's just the same few knobheads arguing on and on...

This

I care more about the squad and who we have after the window shuts than what we currently have. 😅

I will not be losing any sleep over this.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames