Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

What an absurd waste of money. Highlighting again the stupidity of Premier League.

Is he nearly ten times the player that BBD is? Think BBD will show value for our investment.

Genuinely I think BBD is better!!! I've never thought Solanke was any good. One good season and Spurs have gone mad!!!!

• Haha 1

Has anyone mentioned we turned down the chance to get Drogba as he was deemed too similar to Beattie?
TBH most of the nearly transfers were probably pretty tenuous and unless we got to the stage where we made a bid then they're pretty irrelevant and you could replace Saints with any other similar placed club at the time.

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Has anyone mentioned we turned down the chance to get Drogba as he was deemed too similar to Beattie?
TBH most of the nearly transfers were probably pretty tenuous and unless we got to the stage where we made a bid then they're pretty irrelevant and you could replace Saints with any other similar placed club at the time.

Am still waiting for Oliver Bierhoff to sign.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Pretty sure it was the Athletic that reported Ralph had rejected the opportunity to sign both Olize and Elise whilst manager of Saints.

It wasn't explicitly stated that it was Ralph's decision I don't think, more the clubs.  Also missed out on Guehi

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/3497835/2022/11/07/hasenhuttl-sacked-southampton-behind-scenes/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dellyears said:

Regards AA it may not have been the Premier Lg that was too much for him, it may have been the system we were playing at the time. he is happier with the present style and present manager, no reason not to do well this year, he and BBD could be good combine

If he can continue playing off the right I think he’ll do alright, he’ll contribute and there’s no reason why he can’t get a few goals. It’s when he’s asked to play down the middle, basically on his own (like he was last time we were PL) that he looks completely out of his depth and ineffective. 

Until we (hopefully) sign a more out and out CF, I’d be happy playing a 3-5-2 against Newcastle with BBD and him up top together. If they get service there’s no reason why they couldn’t cause a few problems based on what we know of Arma and what we’ve seen of BBD already. 

• Like 3

A week to go before the first PL game, so a good time to review what we have done.

1. Have we improved our starting XI vs the team that finished 4th in the Championship:

Lallana - no

Taylor - slightly although not suited to wing back role

Wood - no

Edwards - no

THB - no

Downes - no

Sugawara - no (will do well to equal KWP)

BBD - probably

Overall verdict: Minimal improvement vs last season and largely based on hoping BBD maintains form he showed across a very small sample size

2. Has squad depth improved?

GK - no

CB - yes

Full back - minimally

Midfield - no

Wide - no (worse)

Forward - no

Overall - aside from CB, not really

Summary - a hell of a lot to do otherwise nowhere near good enough to compete at this level

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

If he can continue playing off the right I think he’ll do alright, he’ll contribute and there’s no reason why he can’t get a few goals. It’s when he’s asked to play down the middle, basically on his own (like he was last time we were PL) that he looks completely out of his depth and ineffective. 

Until we (hopefully) sign a more out and out CF, I’d be happy playing a 3-5-2 against Newcastle with BBD and him up top together. If they get service there’s no reason why they couldn’t cause a few problems based on what we know of Arma and what we’ve seen of BBD already. 

Think that’s exactly what RM will play and the outcome he hopes for. 

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

A week to go before the first PL game, so a good time to review what we have done.

1. Have we improved our starting XI vs the team that finished 4th in the Championship:

Lallana - no

Taylor - slightly although not suited to wing back roleva

Wood - no

Edwards - no

THB - no

Downes - no

BBD - probably

Overall verdict: Minimal improvement vs last season and largely based on hoping BBD maintains form he showed across a very small sample size

GK - no

CB - yes

Full back - minimally

Midfield - no

Wide - no (worse)

Forward - no

Summary - a hell of a lot to do otherwise nowhere near good enough to compete at this level

Good assessment. 

It is based on the premise that our squad and average performance level need to improve by a factor to avoid relegation from EPL given the jump in standard. 

What kind of factor of improvement do you think we need to have to avoid relegation? 10% better ? 50% better? What does that mean in actual goals scored or conceded this year per match do you think? 

FWIW I think our goals scored was ok last year. But our goals conceded ( over XG) was bad. That needs urgent attention for all the talk of getting more forwards we must stop conceding over XG needlessly this season..

Edited by gio1saints

13 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Lallana - no

Wood - no

Edwards - no

THB - no

Downes - no

BBD - probably

GK - no

CB - yes

Full back - minimally

Midfield - no

Wide - no (worse)

Forward - no

Pretty much spot on. It’s been an awful window so far. 

It may not surprise a few of the better informed here but our club transfer and spending strategy is set up based on the high likelihood, NOT the possibility, of relegation this year. 
Another year in the EFL but at a higher base line of quality and experience playing this way , an essential promotion - and we may then be more competitive in the EPL 2026-2027. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

It may not surprise a few of the better informed here but our club transfer and spending strategy is set up based on the high likelihood, NOT the possibility, of relegation this year. 
Another year in the EFL but at a higher base line of quality and experience playing this way , an essential promotion - and we may then be more competitive in the EPL 2026-2027. 

What evidence do you have for that? 

40 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Lallana - no

Wood - no

Edwards - no

THB - no

Downes - no

BBD - probably

GK - no

CB - yes

Full back - minimally

Midfield - no

Wide - no (worse)

Forward - no

But what are you expecting to do when we don't have the money available. We weren't ready to get promoted - we have had to spend money on the spine of the team (HB and Downes). This was the point I was making a few weeks ago that no-one was having. 

To be a success in the Prem now you need to build a strong spine outside of the Prem and then fill around it. With PSR it's the only way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

OK, let's play a game. 

You have £60m to spend and £20m has to be spent on THB . Wages per player cannot exceed £60k pw.

Go. 

£39,995,000 on coke and hookers and the rest on a lovely old bullnose Morris

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Lallana - no

Wood - no

Edwards - no

THB - no

Downes - no

BBD - probably

GK - no

CB - yes

Full back - minimally

Midfield - no

Wide - no (worse)

Forward - no

We have not improved on the squad that finished 4th last season. We are actually worse than we were then. The only area we are better now is defence and we are still expected to lose KWP. Attacking wise we are definitely worse off still. We have lost Armstrong, Fraser, Brooks, Rothwell and Adams, and gained BBD (upgrade on Adams) and Lallana (maybe a step up on Rothwell, if he actually plays). Alcaraz played for us last season so you can't say he is an improvement, and it's debatable anyway. Only other one who you could say is improvement is Dibling.

Still need a striker, AM and Goalkeeper to be better than last season in a more difficult league (and strengthen in DM). Not looking hopeful.

Edited by VectisSaint
Forgot Fraser

31 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

But what are you expecting to do when we don't have the money available. We weren't ready to get promoted - we have had to spend money on the spine of the team (HB and Downes). This was the point I was making a few weeks ago that no-one was having. 

To be a success in the Prem now you need to build a strong spine outside of the Prem and then fill around it. With PSR it's the only way. 

Sorry this is a silly thing to say. If we'd have stayed down another season the team would have been torn up again. The idea we would have just carried on "getting ready" for the Premier League is nonsense. 

It doesn't work like that. We'd be bumming around hoping to make top 6 like WBA/Norwich last season.

THB and Downes would be gone for a start so the spine would be ripped out and we'd start again.

• Like 9

Are we stronger than we finished last season... no. But I also think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's not looking hopeful when we have 20 odd days left of the window. We've been pretty active. THB and Downes skew the perception a bit because they were here last season but we still needed to get pen put to paper on them. They are now both assets to the club both for now and the future.

Outside of them we've added:
Ronnie Edwards - Looks like a gem for £6M and will provide good competition at CB
Yuki Sugawara - £5M for a player that has looked to give genuine competition to KWP as opposed to the level of Bree
Ben Brereton-Diaz - £6.5M for a player that is at minimum of an equal standard to Adams but looks far more promising
Nathan Wood - £3M for a player Martin clearly feels he can develop (Jury is well and truly out but we're not breaking the bank there)
Adam Lallana - Free - Added experience in bags, will likely provide more value to SAA and Dibling than the first team but still a shrewd signing
Charlie Taylor - Free - Bit of battle tested cover for minimal outlay again pretty shrewd to bolster depth

A few other fringe signings for the future/Goztepe

We clearly need additional cover a 9,10,6 and GK and I'm sure those are deals that are being worked on. But I think we've had a pretty pragmatic window to this point and with time to spare I think we'll see a few more exciting deals in when the likes of ABK et al. are moved along to free up cash.

We also have a lot of headroom to bring in loan deals, which typically happen late in the window. When you consider that most of the depth and quality we've lost are from loan signings you'd be hard pressed to say we're not a more attractive loan destination this year than last.

So not a particularly exciting window yet but plenty of solid deals and gems had so far and plenty of time to add.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, St. Neil said:

Made an enquiry for Georginio Rutter.

My brother-in-law supports Leeds. I went to Elland Road with him to watch their friendly vs Valencia last weekend and Rutter was their best player by a distance. Great on the ball, quick, creative and scored a fantastic goal. Yes please. 

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Sorry this is a silly thing to say. If we'd have stayed down another season the team would have been torn up again. The idea we would have just carried on "getting ready" for the Premier League is nonsense. 

It doesn't work like that. We'd be bumming around hoping to make top 6 like WBA/Norwich last season.

THB and Downes would be gone for a start so the spine would be ripped out and we'd start again.

Watch out for Middlesborough when they come up, they've been 'getting ready'for the last three or four seasons.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Lallana - no

Wood - no

Edwards - no

THB - no

Downes - no

BBD - probably

GK - no

CB - yes

Full back - minimally

Midfield - no

Wide - no (worse)

Forward - no

Very well summarised and 100 per cent agreed.

24 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

No, I agree, but that doesn't mean that we were ready. Just because we couldn't afford to stay down does not mean the club was in a position to be promoted and to be able to compete in the Prem. It's not one or the other. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Is it me? Or has the euphoria and togetherness of 26/05 gone through the floor more quickly than expected?

Inside the club, the first team, the wider fan base or just on here?

22 minutes ago, St. Neil said:

Made an enquiry for Georginio Rutter.

I'd be surprised - they wanted a lot for him. 

I would take him, although bear in mind he doesn't tend to score much. However, he offers the ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play which would be perfect for BBD and AA. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Loan with obligation to buy for 20 million with addons would make financial sense. 

£20m is too much unless he had a minimum of 12 goals in the league or something - nowhere near good enough for that much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Is it me? Or has the euphoria and togetherness of 26/05 gone through the floor more quickly than expected?

Just reality kicking in, after paying out for THB and Downes we are left with enough small change for half a Solanke. PL is evermore a rich man's plaything, we are just there to make up the numbers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Loan with obligation to buy for 20 million with addons would make financial sense. 

Yep - if he keeps us up he stays. Be risky to buy as we are looking certs for relegation and isn't he on 60k a week?

1 minute ago, Farmer Saint said:

I don't think we're in for him personally and we're not interested, from what I've heard anyway. 

I've got no idea. He'd fit the profile of striker we should be looking for to lead the line anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Yep - if he keeps us up he stays. Be risky to buy as we are looking certs for relegation and isn't he on 60k a week?

Yeah obligation if we stay up. If he has no suitors willing to pay what they want that could be an option. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I've got no idea. He'd fit the profile of striker we should be looking for to lead the line anyway. 

That he's a striker with 1 leg or more - yeah, he fits that profile. If we want a striker who is good and scores goals then he doesn't fit that profile.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hope not - did well for half a season with us but since then he's looked really poor. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

His name keeps cropping up, I can't think why. He doesn't fit our style. He is a busted flush. And even when he was here in his better days before his injury he had games when he just 'disappeared', not interested. No thanks.

Why is anyone wanting to sign Broja? He had a decent 2-3 months during the early part of his loan spell with us 3 years ago and since then has done absolutely nothing. He was shocking at Fulham, I didn't even realise he was there until March.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Badger said:

What an absurd waste of money. Highlighting again the stupidity of Premier League.

Is he nearly ten times the player that BBD is? Think BBD will show value for our investment.

Home grown, good age, 19 goals last year.  Certainly a bit of a risk as he's only done it once, but if he is able to maintain last seasons form for the next few years its more than a fair price.  As mentioned, there aren't loads of great #9s out there at the moment.