Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

You’re looking at it the wrong way around, why would we play them? There’s no point wasting any preseason minutes on someone we have no intention of playing next year.

Your missing my point though .. what I’m saying is  when your manager is openly saying you need to sell, Blackmore is saying players have bad attitudes and. Then players are getting left out of pre season .: this is putting ourselves over a barrel with anyone who might be interested in the player as they know we are desperate and in ABK.s case we now tarnished his character 

do you see Celtic leaving Oriley out of pre season even though he’s a 25-30m player that can leave or Liverpool with carvalho ??

We make ourselves look desparate it’s not a very good poker face when trying to get a good deal 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Your missing my point though .. what I’m saying is  when your manager is openly saying you need to sell, Blackmore is saying players have bad attitudes and. Then players are getting left out of pre season .: this is putting ourselves over a barrel with anyone who might be interested in the player as they know we are desperate and in ABK.s case we now tarnished his character 

do you see Celtic leaving Oriley out of pre season even though he’s a 25-30m player that can leave or Liverpool with carvalho ??

We make ourselves look desparate it’s not a very good poker face when trying to get a good deal 

Yep, Blackmore's comments were daft and did us no favours. He showed that we were desperate to sell players, and reduces ABK's appeal, and probably his price, by basically saying that the club think he's a bit of a dick and don't want him.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Chez said:

What's the forward line going to be at Newcastle. Two or three up top?

BBD and AA

BBD, AA, Carvalho?

BBD an other AA

No one fancies AA down the middle, but who is this imaginary striker everyone seems to want?

I think Carvalho would be a decent signing, I think he has shown he can put the ball in the back of the net and he offers flexibility too. Proper 9s are few and far between in the modern game but I like the look of an AA, Carvalho, BBD forward line for fluidity.

However I think we play 3 CBs against Newcastle which gives the defence better protection but stunts us somewhat as an attacking force. It worked against Leeds in the final but we need it to work against Prem teams. It'll be AA and BBD up front for Newcastle IMO.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

Szmodics scored one and had an assist for Blackburn

We've seen with both AA and Che that being prolific in the Championship doesn't necessarily translate into success in the Premier League. AA in particular struggled at the highest level but was great again when we dropped back to the Championship. Most on here are not very positive about his prospects for this season now we're back in the top flight. Maybe Szmodics could cut it in the PL, but we would be once again taking a big risk on a player unproven at this level when everyone seems (quite rightly) to be demanding a striker who can guarantee PL goals. At least by signing BBD we've got someone who already has (albeit a very short) PL track record. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Hard to have a good poker face when you have farmed them out on loan the previous season or they have a year left on their contract (refuse to sign another) and you've signed their replacement. 

I get your point though 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I think Carvalho would be a decent signing, I think he has shown he can put the ball in the back of the net and he offers flexibility too. Proper 9s are few and far between in the modern game but I like the look of an AA, Carvalho, BBD forward line for fluidity.

However I think we play 3 CBs against Newcastle which gives the defence better protection but stunts us somewhat as an attacking force. It worked against Leeds in the final but we need it to work against Prem teams. It'll be AA and BBD up front for Newcastle IMO.

I'm with you. Not sure I want us spending £27.5m on Carvalho though. £20m tops.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

We've seen with both AA and Che that being prolific in the Championship doesn't necessarily translate into success in the Premier League. AA in particular struggled at the highest level but was great again when we dropped back to the Championship. Most on here are not very positive about his prospects for this season now we're back in the top flight. Maybe Szmodics could cut it in the PL, but we would be once again taking a big risk on a player unproven at this level when everyone seems (quite rightly) to be demanding a striker who can guarantee PL goals. At least by signing BBD we've got someone who already has (albeit a very short) PL track record. 

I'd say most on here are hopeful AA will work out this time around, especially if coming off the right. Not sure we know what to expect in a two man strike force. 

He looked settled and full of confidence. His finishing was so good at the back end of the season.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Indeed.  Could say the same for Olise & Eze too.  They weren't exactly unknowns.

Looked absolute standouts for QPR & Reading.

pretty sure we tried to get both them. also Maddison nearly joined us but chose Leicester at the last minute. Quite how we we went from those 3 to signing what we did is pretty incredible. Elyanoussi instead of Maddison wasn't it?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

pretty sure we tried to get both them. also Maddison nearly joined us but chose Leicester at the last minute. Quite how we we went from those 3 to signing what we did is pretty incredible. Elyanoussi instead of Maddison wasn't it?

Yep. Maddison had a tour round Staplewood and everything. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, Blackmore's comments were daft and did us no favours. He showed that we were desperate to sell players, and reduces ABK's appeal, and probably his price, by basically saying that the club think he's a bit of a dick and don't want him.  

I’m pretty confident other professional football clubs will know the situation with a player, without relying on the commentary of a radio solent journalist.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Chelsea squad list - so far 😂

IMG_6321.jpeg

I wish we were Chelsea's C team.

They must hate their kitmen, their laundry bill must be bigger than our transfer budget.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, egg said:

Based on Blackmore's interviews with Russ last year I'm not so sure the club don't think he's a dick as well.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

The problem is we clearly can't afford to shop for players above the level of someone like Szmodics. We can only buy what we can afford which leaves me wondering why we've wasted so much time chasing Matt O'Riley. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, saintant said:

The problem is we clearly can't afford to shop for players above the level of someone like Szmodics. We can only buy what we can afford which leaves me wondering why we've wasted so much time chasing Matt O'Riley. 

WTF? He plays for a midtable championship team, if we cant afford players like that we really are in trouble. Maybe we just dont want him?

Sorry misread your post, say you said above him level

Edited by Turkish
Misread

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

WTF? He plays for a midtable championship team, if we cant afford players like that we really are in trouble. Maybe we just dont want him?

Not saying they'd get it but Blackburn value him at £15-20 million.

Just now, saintant said:

fair price really, bottom end of what we paid for Adams and Armstrong 3-4 years ago.

45 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

Regards AA it may not have been the Premier Lg that was too much for him, it may have been the system we were playing at the time. he is happier with the present style and present manager, no reason not to do well this year, he and BBD could be good combine

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, saintant said:

Who says we have? We bid, they declined. We have since bid for Carvalho. Whether he's next on the list or as well, I'm not sure, but nothing to suggest time has stood still waiting for O'Riley situation to change.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We can't sign him now. JWP isn't here to wind him up.

Would have loved to see him in a Saints shirt. Not now though. His wages must be monstrous.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Our starting line in for Man City in 2012

Davis

clyne Hooliveld Fonte Fox

Puncheon Scniderlin JWP Lallana

Guly Rodriguez 

Our possible startling line up next week

McCarhy 

Suga   THB  Bednarek Taylor

Stephens (playing somewhere) 

Smallbone Downes Aribo 

Armstrong Diaz 

not much in it IMO 

That line-up would do well to lose by less than 5 goals at Newcastle…..

Edited by Pat from Poole
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, saintant said:

It’ll be interesting to see how valuations change over the window. Leeds have bid 7m for Jonathan Rowe which won’t be accepted but indicates there might be a correction in prices this summer. No one has come close to Sunderland’s 25M valuation of Jack Clarke either. 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Shaw at left back, surely?

He wasn’t in squad contention for the City game, which is what I was going on. You could also make an argument for Cork being better than Downes, although we’ve not seen enough of the latter at this level to really be definitive.

25 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He wasn’t in squad contention for the City game, which is what I was going on. You could also make an argument for Cork being better than Downes, although we’ve not seen enough of the latter at this level to really be definitive.

Cork better than downes??? Are you mental?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

We were offered eze and olise but Ralph decided they weren't good enough , at the time Ralph had too much power at the club 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, saintant said:

We'll see.

5 hours ago, Polegategavin243 said:

But it may “cut it”. Team spirit and momentum can be a big factor. Why people aren’t expecting exciting (or key) signings is odd when in the past dozen or so transfer windows our most significant transfers have happened in the final few days of each window, mostly due to the domino effect of other deals completing near to or on deadline day. The negativity on here and Facebook is embarrassing. Many of the players who played for us all last season are going to be more confident and likely a better player thanks to that experience, which is being ignored.

PGG243, I welcome your optimism and the reasons behind. Very relieving and comforting.
Team spirit, momentum and confidence to build on.  No panic really needed at this point as the transfer window is still open and we tend to sign new players late.
Add to that that,  like Jamie Carragher has said, (not my favourite pundit, I admit that, but in full accordance with my own views): 

'Why should Saints not perceive themselves as being back where they belong' - in the PL - whereas other teams, primarily Ipswich, can't say the same with real substance.. 

I'd like to take it even further and say that Saints have better elite division DNA than a few other clubs in the prem.

Besides I think we have a very good manager even if he is unproven in the prem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pat from Poole said:

Seeing highlights of Blackburn tonight, Sczmodics is a proper finisher.

i think he would score goals in the Prem.

We could do worse than have 3 ex-Blackburn strikers upfront.

Not advocating a move for Sam Gallagher though.

Sczmodics is very welcome in my view 👍

3 hours ago, saintant said:

Because he would be happy to play here. 

5 hours ago, Pat from Poole said:

Is that because you watched him or because he signed for Stoke a few weeks back?

7 hours ago, Pat from Poole said:

He went to Stoke a fortnight ago. 

5 hours ago, manji said:

Because he would be happy to play here. 

Means nothing though if we don't have the intention of meeting the asking price. If there's lots of interest in O'Riley then of course Celtic will wait to get the best deal they can. Seems like they are being stubborn on getting a certain fee but then it seems we are with KWP and most of the players we sell, so totally fair enough. 

8 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Cool. Not that it matters, but Shaw was on the bench for the first game, along with Davis and Lambert. Cork didn't play until November due to injury.

3 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Was it not Ross Wilson who gave Ralph the heads up on Eze who decided against him 

Looking at both windows, money was pretty tight (one in one out type moves), we didn't sign alternative players to them, so maybe we liked them but just weren't in for an attacking midfielder and a winger at that time. Shame.

The Eze and Olise point is an interesting one in as much as prior to that break out season they were mearly seen as great high potential youngsters.

Now if only we had a couple of high potential youngsters within our ranks… a winger and an attacking midfielder would be ideal 🤔😂

16 hours ago, Wsaint said:

Insane amount

Screenshot_20240809-170953.png

What an absurd waste of money. Highlighting again the stupidity of Premier League.

Is he nearly ten times the player that BBD is? Think BBD will show value for our investment.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, danjosaint said:

We were offered eze and olise but Ralph decided they weren't good enough , at the time Ralph had too much power at the club 

Edited by OldNick

9 hours ago, danjosaint said:

At that time the Chinese owners were refusing all investment

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pat from Poole said:

He was a very good player, Jack Cork.

Was just unlucky that we signed Wanyama. Otherwise he would have played a lot more for us.

I think it was Clasie that ousted him which was a travesty 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

What an absurd waste of money. Highlighting again the stupidity of Premier League.

Is he nearly ten times the player that BBD is? Think BBD will show value for our investment.

I agree with you.

But sadly we don't get to play 10x BBDs. We still only get 11 players on the pitch, and the skill and ability of every player counts.

Marginal gains against diminishing return on investment. (I seem to remember a classroom Economics lesson about why Nurses earn less than Footballers 🙂)