Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

Apparently the issue with all this is we have no money to spend might as well shut up shop now. It's Apparently about who we can loan now - according to Alfie from echo on X

A grotesque misrepresentation of what was said. That's the sort of thing you see on twitter from teenage saints fans crying into their capri suns. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

Apparently the issue with all this is we have no money to spend might as well shut up shop now. It's Apparently about who we can loan now - according to Alfie from echo on X

Try reading it again

• Like 1

The thing to bear in mind is that a LOT of business is done at the last minute. It's why deadline is so engrossing to watch. I think we will get bits done but it might be last minute...

Edited by Hopper
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Shame really that clubs like Chelsea can spend spend spend, despite, increasing the disparity between them and hamstrung clubs like us.

Football is utterly broken. £17M on an 8th keeper?!? How on earth are we expected to compete?

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Were the club hoping KWP, Onuachu, Bella K would be sold by now?

well we cant be that desperate for cash as we've had offers on the table for all 3 for a while. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Football is utterly broken. £17M on an 8th keeper?!? How on earth are we expected to compete?

Just found £60million for Pedro Neto too. Their accountants must be bloody marvellous. 

Sure they’ll just sell some of their own assets to themselves again or something equally as dodgy. Watch this space for Chelsea FC selling lunar real estate to the totally unrelated Chalsee CF …

Bugger me they’re an unlikely club! Hoping it all goes horribly wrong with Maresca and the yanks asset values plummet through the floor.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think the fact they’ve not featured largely in any pre-season games tells much.

This is another issue for me .. why do we freeze out the players we want to sell ? Surely that’s weakening our hand when bargaining for example tranzonspor must know Damn well we need to sell and will probably buckle to their lowball offers now at some point .,

Same  goes for ABK who is gonna pay top dollar when they know we need to sell? we are freezing the player out of pre season and in this case even tarnishing his character through blackmores  Comments .. it’s not too shrewd  really Is it ?

• Like 1

Just now, pimpin4rizeal said:

This is another issue for me .. why do we freeze out the players we want to sell ? Surely that’s weakening our hand when bargaining for example tranzonspor must know Damn well we need to sell and will probably buckle to their lowball offers now at some point .,

Same  goes for ABK who is gonna pay top dollar when they know we need to sell? we are freezing the player out of pre season and in this case even tarnishing his character through blackmores  Comments .. it’s not too shrewd  really Is it ?

Not as much as it weakens us if they get injured

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hopper said:

Full context for anyone not wanting to brave the shitshow that is X. (I don't blame you)

image.png.871a8a66b4e0ecc5a5cde80cc62894f5.pngimage.png.9092b77a890109ea40036fb921891d86.png

This is the absolute crux of it. We’re not living in a Football Manager simulation.

We’re still having to clear up the train wreck of our last Premier League season. Spending huge money on, quite frankly, dross, and paying off two managers. 

The more I think of it, the more miraculous promotion last season feels. I dread to think the predicament we’d be in if we were kicking off in the Championship again this weekend.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

Just found £60million for Pedro Neto too. Their accountants must be bloody marvellous. 

Sure they’ll just sell some of their own assets to themselves again or something equally as dodgy. Watch this space for Chelsea FC selling lunar real estate to the totally unrelated Chalsee CF …

Bugger me they’re an unlikely club! Hoping it all goes horribly wrong with Maresca and the yanks asset values plummet through the floor.

As you've hinted at - when you can sell a hotel connected to the stadium to a 'company' related to the football club for £76.5 million, then it frees up a lot funding to bend PSR rules.  Mind you, didn't Derby sell the ground back to itself for something like £80 million a few years back...... 

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Absolutely, any money for ABK at this stage is a bonus. Need him out of the club ASAP, horrible influence who is being kept away from the first team setup. One of our worst ever signings - added to the long list of worst ever signings in just 3 transfer windows.

Sorry but worst ever signing ?

you where absolutely wanking over him like he was the next vvd and saying enjoy him while he’s here under hasenhuttll ?

He’s had injuries wasnt here last year and now Blackmore says he’s got an attitude suddenly turns him into one of our worst ever signings

and don’t forget we are probably not gonna lose money on him, he was cheap in the first place 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

33 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

32 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Not as much as it weakens us if they get injured

See Sulemana - currently injured for a month or so after playing in pre-season; and as a consequence very unlikely to be sold.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, saintant said:

Have you not seen the lack of a midfield shield for our defence? I'd  say it's one of the most important positions and we still haven't replaced Romeu with anyone half competent.

I see Romeu has just returned to Girona on loan. What a loan signing he would have been for us this summer. I reckon he could still have done a job and surprised to see he's still only 32.
I'd assume he'd prefer to stay in Catalonia than return to sunny Southampton anyway.... I know I would :)

45 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

You’re looking at it the wrong way around, why would we play them? There’s no point wasting any preseason minutes on someone we have no intention of playing next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

Not only that, why are 6 of the 8 even bothering to join them?. Unless they're going to be all played in rotation there's 6 keepers getting paid to stay at home gardening at the weekends

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Not only that, why are 6 of the 8 even bothering to join them?. Unless they're going to be all played in rotation there's 6 keepers getting paid to stay at home gardening at the weekends

Wild isn't it? I know money is a huge draw but if you love playing football how must it feel to just train and never enjoy the feeling of a packed house in a crucial match? 

Seems pointless.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

We're not, it's why FFP was put in place and people like Cortese were SO against it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Maggie May said:

This is the absolute crux of it. We’re not living in a Football Manager simulation.

We’re still having to clear up the train wreck of our last Premier League season. Spending huge money on, quite frankly, dross, and paying off two managers. 

The more I think of it, the more miraculous promotion last season feels. I dread to think the predicament we’d be in if we were kicking off in the Championship again this weekend.

Completely agree. It's so odd that Martin got so much shit last season because we had a Premier League squad and should be absolutely storming the Championship, and yet this year when we have strengthened we now have a Championship quality squad that will definitely get relegated. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

The echo said yesterday that ABK is looking to force his way back into the reckoning with us so hope that's true.

Oh no, please no. Let him go and let someone else cope with his glass shoulders and let us get some cash to spend on someone who will actually play. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Completely agree. It's so odd that Martin got so much shit last season because we had a Premier League squad and should be absolutely storming the Championship, and yet this year when we have strengthened we now have a Championship quality squad that will definitely get relegated. 

Have we strengthened, really? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

A grotesque misrepresentation of what was said. That's the sort of thing you see on twitter from teenage saints fans crying into their capri suns. 

I'm not on X I reported what the article said. But I'm sure the experts/oracles will tell the world differently 

2 hours ago, UpweySaint said:

Neto is class. God knows where he fits in though with that squad lol

Got to admire Chelsea for exposing how easily the FFP/PSR system can be binged around.

50 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

I'm not on X I reported what the article said. But I'm sure the experts/oracles will tell the world differently 

Firstly you literally said it was from "Alfie on X". Seconly which article from the echo said it's about loans now? There's no article that says that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

I'm not one who trusts Alfie House information. My impression is that he is happy to believe the negative and conservative approach around Saints and despite his working connection to the club doesn't "really" know much. If you compare his reporting to Adam Blackmores, there is a difference of general opinion. Clearly we haven't got 100s of millions to spend but I also do not believe it's as date as he is trying to make out. He's a fan I believe and our fan base in large parts is extremely negative and pessimistic and I do not think it's helps. He is in that mindset I believe. And that's fine but I take most of what he says with a big pinch of salt, not because I don't want to hear it, but because I think he makes assumptions based on his general feeling. 

There is no sense in gambling on stating up by not spending / buying 2-3 more definite improvements to the squad on top of what I think has been a good window overall so far. The cost of relegation will almost certainly be more than the say 70-80m outlay still required (less sales don't forget) to get more quality to have a much better chance of survival. 

Dragon is quoted (I believe) as saying they wish to make us a top 8 competitive team. This needs clever investment over 3 or 4 seasons. Not spending now puts that massively at risk. 

Dragan did say that and mentioned a 10 year plan. They also said they’d didn’t expect this season to be as perilous as many would expect. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Yes, how have we not?

In the sense that our team isn’t really any better. Our strongest XI is basically last year’s team, minus Che and KWP, plus Taylor, Suga and BBD. I couldn’t in all good conscience call that stronger.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

In the sense that our team isn’t really any better. Our strongest XI is basically last year’s team, minus Che and KWP, plus Taylor, Suga and BBD. I couldn’t in all good conscience call that stronger.

Have to agree with this.

That 1-1 comparison depends heavily on how Suga adapts to the Prem to be fair. I think Taylor is an improvement on Manning and BBD an improvement on Che. 

• Like 1

BBD feels like an upgrade on Che. 

Time will tell regarding Sugar.

But I agree generally. 

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

But we haven't lost KWP yet, and if/when we do are likely to sign an upgrade in midfield. 

So if we looked at the squad now, and who we have, I think we are slightly stronger than last year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Farmer Saint said:

But we haven't lost KWP yet, and if/when we do are likely to sign an upgrade in midfield. 

So if we looked at the squad now, and who we have, I think we are slightly stronger than last year. 

'Slightly' won't cut it in the Premier League. I get that the transfer window is still open but I'm not expecting any exciting signings.