Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hypothetically if we got o'riley and a keeper would you take that if that was our only business? I think I probably would. Obviously a striker and another midfielder would be good but it's not absolutely vital to our season like the other two. 

As long as it leaves us some cash to spend on players for Goztepe then I'd be happy with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Saint Scott said:

IMO a GK, AM and ST are all vital to survival this season. 

100% agree...............still not convinced RM sees the goalkeeper issue but guess we'll find out in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

It really is worth posting the below for all those that keep harping on about Saints not just paying what the selling club wants for players and to just get deals done!!

‘The money isn’t there’ for Southampton after recent seasons

Despite returning to the Premier League at the first time of asking, Southampton find themselves limited on the financial front this summer.

Alfie House on X made the financial situation surrounding the club clearer, where he wrote: “Context is important and Russell Martin did say the club can still do something in the transfer market if it’s urgent and they need to (which they do, so they must.) However… 

“It’s been made clear by leadership all summer that the money isn’t there. £100m spent on mostly rubbish in 2022/23, £100m losses between June 2021-2023 and relegation affecting PSR limits + off-pitch ££ (MSD loan). Sales last summer merely filled the black hole.

Southampton signed the likes of Kamaldeen Sulemana, Paul Onuachu and Sekou Mara in the 2022/23 season, all of which have struggled to live up to their hefty price tag.

Southampton must make the most of the loan market

It’s clear that, unless necessary sales are made for those with very little future at the club, Southampton have very little leverage in dishing out sizable bids for players at this level.

They may have to focus on players that may be free for loan, something that will ensure that they get quality additions, bolster their squad depth and improve their financial deficit with fees being very low in comparison to permanent deals.

I'm not one who trusts Alfie House information. My impression is that he is happy to believe the negative and conservative approach around Saints and despite his working connection to the club doesn't "really" know much. If you compare his reporting to Adam Blackmores, there is a difference of general opinion. Clearly we haven't got 100s of millions to spend but I also do not believe it's as date as he is trying to make out. He's a fan I believe and our fan base in large parts is extremely negative and pessimistic and I do not think it's helps. He is in that mindset I believe. And that's fine but I take most of what he says with a big pinch of salt, not because I don't want to hear it, but because I think he makes assumptions based on his general feeling. 

There is no sense in gambling on stating up by not spending / buying 2-3 more definite improvements to the squad on top of what I think has been a good window overall so far. The cost of relegation will almost certainly be more than the say 70-80m outlay still required (less sales don't forget) to get more quality to have a much better chance of survival. 

Dragon is quoted (I believe) as saying they wish to make us a top 8 competitive team. This needs clever investment over 3 or 4 seasons. Not spending now puts that massively at risk. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dman said:

We don't need him. Thanks for the efforts last season, deccent bloke and great in the dressing room, but he's not going to improve our squad. 

He scored some important goals when coming off the bench, but my concern is they glossed over some very ineffective performances, not to mention the fact he could only make the bench in a lot of games.

He works hard, which is great for a wing back, but he's not really a defender. Will he be exposed at the higher level if we play him on that role?

More importantly, can he cause opponents problems when attacking? He's not quick and can't beat players with a trick. Not exactly what you want for a winger. Maybe we don't need that as we have it from others. Maybe he gives us something different in good movement and crossing.

I'm not sold on him. Perhaps because I wasn't at the games where he came on and grabbed at last minute goal.

I'm sure he will be with us by the end of the window.

• Like 4

Just now, MarkSFC said:

I'm not one who trusts Alfie House information. My impression is that he is happy to believe the negative and conservative approach around Saints and despite his working connection to the club doesn't "really" know much. If you compare his reporting to Adam Blackmores, there is a difference of general opinion. Clearly we haven't got 100s of millions to spend but I also do not believe it's as date as he is trying to make out. He's a fan I believe and our fan base in large parts is extremely negative and pessimistic and I do not think it's helps. He is in that mindset I believe. And that's fine but I take most of what he says with a big pinch of salt, not because I don't want to hear it, but because I think he makes assumptions based on his general feeling. 

There is no sense in gambling on stating up by not spending / buying 2-3 more definite improvements to the squad on top of what I think has been a good window overall so far. The cost of relegation will almost certainly be more than the say 70-80m outlay still required (less sales don't forget) to get more quality to have a much better chance of survival. 

Dragon is quoted (I believe) as saying they wish to make us a top 8 competitive team. This needs clever investment over 3 or 4 seasons. Not spending now puts that massively at risk. 

No, he's a Bristol City supporter

I don't really agree with your assessment of his reporting either. He's clearly quite close to the club's inner circle and relatively trusted by the manager for them to let him tag along to the preseasontraining camp and watch the training sessions and get various interviews with the players. Not something that was commonplace over the last 10yrs or so

I am not suggesting that he is the oracle but between what he gets briefed on, what he picks up from knowing people at the club and what he infers and pieces together, I think he is pretty solid and a lot better than several of the recent Saints reporters

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Think Alfie supports Bristol City.....and to be honest I think he always tries to manage expectations rather than get people overly excited by pipe dreams. He's critical when need be, think his comments on McCarthy alone bear that out.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

It really is worth posting the below for all those that keep harping on about Saints not just paying what the selling club wants for players and to just get deals done!!

‘The money isn’t there’ for Southampton after recent seasons

Despite returning to the Premier League at the first time of asking, Southampton find themselves limited on the financial front this summer.

Alfie House on X made the financial situation surrounding the club clearer, where he wrote: “Context is important and Russell Martin did say the club can still do something in the transfer market if it’s urgent and they need to (which they do, so they must.) However… 

“It’s been made clear by leadership all summer that the money isn’t there. £100m spent on mostly rubbish in 2022/23, £100m losses between June 2021-2023 and relegation affecting PSR limits + off-pitch ££ (MSD loan). Sales last summer merely filled the black hole.

Southampton signed the likes of Kamaldeen Sulemana, Paul Onuachu and Sekou Mara in the 2022/23 season, all of which have struggled to live up to their hefty price tag.

Southampton must make the most of the loan market

It’s clear that, unless necessary sales are made for those with very little future at the club, Southampton have very little leverage in dishing out sizable bids for players at this level.

They may have to focus on players that may be free for loan, something that will ensure that they get quality additions, bolster their squad depth and improve their financial deficit with fees being very low in comparison to permanent deals.

Which begs the question, why did we go after Matt O'Riley as we clearly couldn't afford him? It's a bit like turning up at a Lamborghini showroom with 6 quid in your pocket.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Couple of names we were linked with:

Manuel Benson  winger at Burnley, last season

Samon Ghoddis  midfielder at Brentford, apparently out of contract, back in June.

Presume both off our radar?

Hope so, both are nowhere near the level

2 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Hope so, both are nowhere near the level

Not true on Ghoddis he did well at Brentford and is decent according to my Brentford mate.

But think we are not interested as nothing in any site we are after him now.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

He may have said it but there is no evidence that he'll be putting his money where his mouth is. No problem with that as it's his money to do as he wishes with but no need to make empty ambitions that get the fans hopes up. Better to tell it as it is ie we won't be spending much.

Edited by saintant

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It would definitely be useful but I wouldn't consider it the difference between relegation abd survival in the way I would view a goalkeeper. 

Have you not seen the lack of a midfield shield for our defence? I'd  say it's one of the most important positions and we still haven't replaced Romeu with anyone half competent.

• Like 3

Just now, saintant said:

Have you not seen the lack of a midfield shield for our defence? I'd  say it's one of the most important positions and we still haven't replaced Romeu with anyone half competent.

Again, I don't think signing skipp or an equivalent is the difference between relegation and 17th

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Would certainly help. Yet we have seemingly only made bids for a winger and an AM. Plus Fraser is widely tipped to join us, another winger.

I've not seen any links to strikers. Are we bringing another in? 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Again, I don't think signing skipp or an equivalent is the difference between relegation and 17th

Imagine Downes gets injured for 3 months. We need another decent CM regardless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Would certainly help. Yet we have seemingly only made bids for a winger and an AM. Plus Fraser is widely tipped to join us, another winger.

I've not seen any links to strikers. Are we bringing another in? 

Didn't we get linked with one from Chelsea yesterday? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Didn't we get linked with one from Chelsea yesterday? 

Yeah, Marc Guiu but I don't think you can loan a player out in the same window that you buy them, so Chelsea can't do anything with him other than play him for their seniors or 21s until January

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saintant said:

Would you put it above a striker, a goalkeeper, a box to box midfielder capable of scoring goals?

I don't think anyone would mind getting another option for defensive midfield but it's not as high on the list of priorities as you would seem to put it.  Ideal world we loan out Charles and get someone like Skipp in.

2 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Yeah, Marc Guiu but I don't think you can loan a player out in the same window that you buy them, so Chelsea can't do anything with him other than play him for their seniors or 21s until January

Correct

5 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

I saw a video last night where Marc Guiu was saying that he didn't know if he would go immediately out on loan so I'm pretty sure he could be loaned out if that's what they wanted to do.

Edit: here's a link about it: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-marc-guiu-loan-transfer-33395303

Edited by revolution saint

33 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Positions the club have failed to fill in previous windows and wouldn't surprise me if they did again in this one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Would you put it above a striker, a goalkeeper, a box to box midfielder capable of scoring goals?

I don't think anyone would mind getting another option for defensive midfield but it's not as high on the list of priorities as you would seem to put it.  Ideal world we loan out Charles and get someone like Skipp in.

I didn't specify how high a priority I think it is. Someone posted that we need a GK, STR and AM and I simply added that I think we need a defensive midfielder too. To be honest all 4 positions could be considered as priorities in equal measures in my view because currently our first eleven looks very weak.

23 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I saw a video last night where Marc Guiu was saying that he didn't know if he would go immediately out on loan so I'm pretty sure he could be loaned out if that's what they wanted to do.

Edit: here's a link about it: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-marc-guiu-loan-transfer-33395303

Can't be loaned to another PL team I think the rule is.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Who "told him"? Any twat can make up an account and spout off on it

Not easy to get 132,000 followers and get Fabrizio Romano to follow you by just 'spouting off' things.

Edited by Matthew Le God

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Hoffenheim are still working to sign Southampton defender Armel Bella-Kotchap, with a final fee expected in the region of €15-17m – but no agreement yet #saintsfc @Plettigoal

Mugs.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

How does he know Russell Martin has spoken to Ramsdale?

Seems the typical gobshite I would expect you to fawn over.

Could all be bollocks but like I said earlier in the window my mate was absolutely adamant that he was in attendance when Lallana had his medical. Could have been then.

54 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not easy to get 132,000 followers and get Fabrizio Romano to follow you by just 'spouting off' things.

This self-proclaimed "home of breaking football news" account has c.410,000 followers and is followed by the likes of David Ornstein, Dan Roan and Ian Abrahams but is seemingly recognised as a 'blagger' account...

image.png.c622a27bde29e713ee67494f9faf3270.png

I've no idea whether the "SamC_reports" account is genuinely ITK or not, but I would venture that 'follower counts' isn't necessarily a guarantee of an account's veracity... 

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

After his start I was expecting a lot more than that for ABK when he were to leave. Sadly it now looks like a good result. I just hope we're smart enough to get a good sell-on in there because a couple of years without injury (big if) could see his value fly.

Let's pray that Onuachu is close to the door as well for something around £8m? Sulemana seems a long-shot on a permanent deal. 

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

After his start I was expecting a lot more than that for ABK when he were to leave. Sadly it now looks like a good result. I just hope we're smart enough to get a good sell-on in there because a couple of years without injury (big if) could see his value fly.

Let's pray that Onuachu is close to the door as well for something around £8m? Sulemana seems a long-shot on a permanent deal. 

After the way things ended with us I qs expecting a lot less. 12 million for him under the circumstances and considering his injuries is a great deal for us if accurate and should allow us to actually strengthen the squad a bit. 

5 hours ago, trousers said:

This self-proclaimed "home of breaking football news" account has c.410,000 followers and is followed by the likes of David Ornstein, Dan Roan and Ian Abrahams but is seemingly recognised as a 'blagger' account...

image.png.c622a27bde29e713ee67494f9faf3270.png

I've no idea whether the "SamC_reports" account is genuinely ITK or not, but I would venture that 'follower counts' isn't necessarily a guarantee of an account's veracity... 

100,000 Twitter / X followers can be bought instantly for less than £900, should you wish to

And Ian Abrahams is thick as pigshit, I've met him

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

About 12 million in for ABK would do very nicely. Could either help us get o'riley for the price celtic want or snap up Johnstone or Carvalho. 

Absolutely, any money for ABK at this stage is a bonus. Need him out of the club ASAP, horrible influence who is being kept away from the first team setup. One of our worst ever signings - added to the long list of worst ever signings in just 3 transfer windows.

Well, we made a £15m bid for Fabio Carvalho without any outgoings being set* so you'd like to think getting £12m-£15m for ABK will help to grease the wheels and push an important deal through...

*as far as we know

Just now, CSA96 said:

Well, we made a £15m bid for Fabio Carvalho without any outgoings being set* so you'd like to think getting £12m-£15m for ABK will help to grease the wheels and push an important deal through...

*as far as we know

Reported 20 million for o'riley. Could push that 5-7 million?