Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

West Ham signing Jean-Clair Todibo for €40m. On top of £27m for Fullkrug, £25m for Summerville & £40m for Killman.

That is crazy sums of money.

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

West Ham signing Jean-Clair Todibo for €40m. On top of £27m for Fullkrug, £25m for Summerville & £40m for Killman.

Guess this is what you get when the tax payer funds your tourist trap stadium. 

• Like 14

18 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Wouldn’t fork out £15m for KWP though..

• Like 1

Surely something will happen with KWP soon as obviously a lot of interest in the background and imagine at this point, having already replaced him, the club will just want to move him on.

Not overly far fetched that Brighton waiting to get O'Riley before giving us some cash for KWP that might possibly allow us to compete for him (though I think he is who RM refered to about moving on) - any suitor knows we are desperate and don't want to lose him for free next summer so we aren't in a strong position with him at all, and he is our most sellable asset.

Will be interesting to hear the chat in Phil's EMEA Townhall on Monday...RM usually fairly open so imagine we will know a fair bit more after that.

Edited by Dusic

57 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Turkish media reporting Lis loan to Goztepe is done. New keeper incoming...

Not sure I understand the financial advantages of him signing for Saints if he will play for them the entire length of his contract...but someone at the club has worked it out I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Surely something will happen with KWP soon as obviously a lot of interest in the background and imagine at this point, having already replaced him, the club will just want to move him on.

Not overly far fetched that Brighton waiting to get O'Riley before giving us some cash for KWP that might possibly allow us to compete for him (though I think he is who RM refered to about moving on) - any suitor knows we are desperate and don't want to lose him for free next summer so we aren't in a strong position with him at all, and he is our most sellable asset.

Will be interesting to hear the chat in Phil's EMEA Townhall on Monday...RM usually fairly open so imagine we will know a fair bit more after that.

How little do you sell him for?

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

West Ham have always been a bit careless with their spending though.

Last year for PSR though right? I.e. the 3 year rolling period won't matter after this year's accounts?

5 hours ago, Stu Man Do said:

Lot of dross in amongst that, far too much for a club of our size to continually cope with. So long as we stay in the “punt/bargain” bucket we’ll struggle to do well over any period of time in the premier league.

But I think you can agree that those 3 windows have definitely been an improvement on the clusterf**K that was their earlier ones - and that was my argument.

I know we've brought in Taylor for the left.

I'm surprised how quiet news over Alfie Doughty has been this window, thought he'd have been back in an EPL side already.

Could have given us great attacking strength with both full backs and a set piece option.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

In the sea of money I feel like things like good managers improving players beyond what was expected of them is seen as an afterthought, I remember it being a hot topic when Ralph Hasenhuttl was around and how he improved James Ward Prowse.

Good point.

So many managers what finished players, we can't afford that hence need a manager who can improve both players and also ensure that we get players to suit our system. A good system played by "lesser" players beats better players in a shit system.

8 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

This is the level of spending the Premier League is at for decent midtable players. This is why we sign younger players and why we have to give them a few years before we write them off. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

This is the level of spending the Premier League is at for decent midtable players. This is why we sign younger players and why we have to give them a few years before we write them off. 

Its also why we battle with relegation every year and will likley struggle to survive this season. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Chez said:

How little do you sell him for?

I think come the last week of Aug anything above £10m surely? 

Sure he will be keen to link up with his best pal Solanke at Spurs if they get shot of Emerson Royal.

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I think come the last week of Aug anything above £10m surely? 

Sure he will be keen to link up with his best pal Solanke at Spurs if they get shot of Emerson Royal.

Will suck seeing him go for buttons. I've not seen Sugawara yet, but KWP's ability to get out of tight spaces was a key element of our possession game. If Sugawara can't do the same, beating the press will be tough.

Edited by Chez

7 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Ornstein reporting that Solanke is going to Spurs.

So that'll be Bournemouth with a pocket full of money looking to buy a striker too then.

Maybe having them look in a different market to us, assuming we are even looking? Are we?

11 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

So that'll be Bournemouth with a pocket full of money looking to buy a striker too then.

I have a proposition ... Tall Paul, we've found you a home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

I have a proposition ... Tall Paul, we've found you a home. 

Its amazing tome that we cant find a place for him here. I understand keeping to your principles but TP gives us other options, and so we have the money invested in hm and what we are likely to get back will not pay for any quality. 

• Like 4

BREAKING: AC Milan are close to agreeing a deal with Tottenham for right-back Emerson Royal 🚨

According to Sky in Italy, the fee is expected to be £12.8m (€15m) plus bonuses on top.

KWP back to Spurs?

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

Will suck seeing him go for buttons. I've not seen Sugawara yet, but KWP's ability to get out of tight spaces was a key element of our possession game. If Sugawara can't do the same, beating the press will be tough.

He looked great in some of our early friendlies, one of our best players both times he started. Great ability and great attitude. Pretty confident that we’ve bought well there. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

BREAKING: AC Milan are close to agreeing a deal with Tottenham for right-back Emerson Royal 🚨

According to Sky in Italy, the fee is expected to be £12.8m (€15m) plus bonuses on top.

KWP back to Spurs?

Seems unlikely he'd move to spurs to be a backup, not even guaranteed to get ahead of Spence for that either.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

It'll also be them in the mire, look at how many he scored or assisted last season for them.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

KWP back to Spurs?

Spence is back in contention for them so expect he’ll be backup to Porro. 

Saw a FB group post this morning claiming we’d gone to Celtic with a €28m bid for O’Riley. Not sure if I believe we’d go that high, but he could be seen by RM as make or break part of his system and success for the season so has pushed hard for it to be done. Perhaps KWP deal has been done with Spurs providing the funds?

• Like 1

Just now, Appy said:

Spence is back in contention for them so expect he’ll be backup to Porro. 

Which bodes the question, where on earth will he go? 

Could we genuinely end up in a situation where he goes for free at the end of the season? Because he’s never going to sign even a one year extension to get us some money, because no one wants him seemingly in his current contract situation.

22 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Its amazing tome that we cant find a place for him here. I understand keeping to your principles but TP gives us other options, and so we have the money invested in hm and what we are likely to get back will not pay for any quality. 

I actually agree with you here. He may be useful in some scenarios. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Which bodes the question, where on earth will he go? 

Could we genuinely end up in a situation where he goes for free at the end of the season? Because he’s never going to sign even a one year extension to get us some money, because no one wants him seemingly in his current contract situation.

He's a strange one alright. West Ham seemed the obvious fit but looks like that ship has sailed. He's the sort of players that's good for us but probably not good enough that a team much better than us would want him, which means a sideways move. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OldNick said:

considering our lack of options up front at the moment then you might be right. 

Sportswitness reporting…

Southampton eye deal for Oliver Skipp from Tottenham

Southampton are one of three Premier League sides eyeing up a deal to bring in Oliver Skipp from Tottenham, with Leicester City and Ipswich Town also reportedly interested, per The Telegraph.

It is reported that Skipp is keen for more game time at Premier League level, with the three promoted sides willing to offer that to the 23-year-old.

7 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Sportswitness reporting…

Southampton are one of three Premier League sides eyeing up a deal to bring in Oliver Skipp from Tottenham, with Leicester City and Ipswich Town also reportedly interested, per The Telegraph.

It is reported that Skipp is keen for more game time at Premier League level, with the three promoted sides willing to offer that to the 23-year-old.

Good player. Instant upgrade on Charles and smallbone, would be great cover for Downes or to play next to him to make us a little more solid. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Sportswitness reporting…

He would be useful for us, I think. I hope we sign him.

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Good player. I hope we find a solution and bring him in. We need to get those last 3-5 signings over the line as soon as possible. 

Edited by Kristian Loekkegaard
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We don't need him. Thanks for the efforts last season, deccent bloke and great in the dressing room, but he's not going to improve our squad. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Just now, Dman said:

We don't need him. Thanks for the efforts last season, deccent bloke and great in the dressing room, but he's not going to improve our squad. 

I would possibly have agreed with you, however after his performance at left wing back in the Play-off Final he could be useful in that role if required. Hell lets be honest if its him or Manning filling in its a no brainer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chez said:

Not sure I understand the financial advantages of him signing for Saints if he will play for them the entire length of his contract...but someone at the club has worked it out I guess. 

I *think* it was because we signed him as a free (so no fee) and hold his registration - if he does well and someone buys him - then that fee is pure profit. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Not to mention Wan- Bissaka for £18m, but apparently they can’t afford his wages……!

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Good player. Instant upgrade on Charles and smallbone, would be great cover for Downes or to play next to him to make us a little more solid. 

Certainly an upgrade though arguably a different profile of player to Smallbone.

He’s got a fair amount of pedigree for a 23 year old and looks the sort who could kick on playing week in week out.

I would be happy with us signing him on loan, loan with an option to buy or permanent if the budget is there.

It really is worth posting the below for all those that keep harping on about Saints not just paying what the selling club wants for players and to just get deals done!!

‘The money isn’t there’ for Southampton after recent seasons

Despite returning to the Premier League at the first time of asking, Southampton find themselves limited on the financial front this summer.

Alfie House on X made the financial situation surrounding the club clearer, where he wrote: “Context is important and Russell Martin did say the club can still do something in the transfer market if it’s urgent and they need to (which they do, so they must.) However… 

“It’s been made clear by leadership all summer that the money isn’t there. £100m spent on mostly rubbish in 2022/23, £100m losses between June 2021-2023 and relegation affecting PSR limits + off-pitch ££ (MSD loan). Sales last summer merely filled the black hole.

Southampton signed the likes of Kamaldeen Sulemana, Paul Onuachu and Sekou Mara in the 2022/23 season, all of which have struggled to live up to their hefty price tag.

Southampton must make the most of the loan market

It’s clear that, unless necessary sales are made for those with very little future at the club, Southampton have very little leverage in dishing out sizable bids for players at this level.

They may have to focus on players that may be free for loan, something that will ensure that they get quality additions, bolster their squad depth and improve their financial deficit with fees being very low in comparison to permanent deals.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Saw a FB group post this morning claiming we’d gone to Celtic with a €28m bid for O’Riley. Not sure if I believe we’d go that high, but he could be seen by RM as make or break part of his system and success for the season so has pushed hard for it to be done. Perhaps KWP deal has been done with Spurs providing the funds?

There's often confusion in such social media rumours between pounds and euros, which makes it hard to tell how informed they are. There's quite a difference.  Why would a bid from an English club to a Scottish one be in euros?

Hypothetically if we got o'riley and a keeper would you take that if that was our only business? I think I probably would. Obviously a striker and another midfielder would be good but it's not absolutely vital to our season like the other two. 

• Like 4

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Hypothetically if we got o'riley and a keeper would you take that if that was our only business? I think I probably would. Obviously a striker and another midfielder would be good but it's not absolutely vital to our season like the other two. 

If we got O'Riley it would be a permanent and if we get a keeper it'll presumably be on loan (or cheap?) so we'd still not have touched our loan spots. We'd be able to loan in a forward and a wide player, potentially?

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

IMO a GK, AM and ST are all vital to survival this season. 

• Like 2

The more I hear the more I think it's increasingly unlikely we get O'Riley - he's going to go for around £21.5m (circa €25m) and I just don't think we have that to spend on one player. Even if we sell everyone we want, I think that's most likely the total budget remaining. We know we need to strengthen in multiple areas so alas I think it'll be the return of the black box and bringing in players such as Wellington. Of course, this is just my opinion but I just can't see it.