Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

Hopefully we can be clever at get at least one from abroad on a loan plus obligation if we stay up, in addition to the two PL loans

Yeah, would be good if we could.  So far the only indications about loans have been right wingers who would be squad options rather than first team starters.

27 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, would be good if we could.  So far the only indications about loans have been right wingers who would be squad options rather than first team starters.

After the last news week, it would be just our luck, if they get arrested before they arrive to sign.

#threadcrossover 🙂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Russ gets headhunted as so many of our good managerial team seem to.

That, like £50m bids for some of our players next summer, would be the dream as it would mean we have not only survived, but we are thriving in the Prem. Happy days.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

That, like £50m bids for some of our players next summer, would be the dream as it would mean we have not only survived, but we are thriving in the Prem. Happy days.

Vincent Kompany would like a word 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

I think Charles had a decent season last year, but Martin managed him poorly.

Smallbone was clearly far worse than Charles at DM, but Martin would repeatedly put Smallbone there when Downes was out and it would hurt us. With Smallbone starting at DM our record was 1W, 2D and 4L over 7 games in the league. With Charles at DM our record was 3W, 1D, 2L (games where he played >45mins).

Martin hooked Charles twice at halftime in the league vs Bristol and Stoke. The Bristol game was where, in my opinion, his misevaluation of both Charles and Smallbone's abilities was most evident:

We had a midfield 3 of Charles, Smallbone and Rothwell. We go into the half at 0-0. Martin decides that this is all Charles' fault and hooks him at halftime. Smallbone goes to DM, Stu comes on at CM... we then concede 3 goals in the next 45 minutes ending our unbeaten run.

Martin doesn't seem to like Charles because he isn't the passer or metronome that Downes and Smallbone can be, but I think he played well last year when given opportunities. I don't think playing Smallbone at DM was the right call, when Charles consistently performed better in that role. I don't think hooking him at halftime helped his confidence either when both times seemed to have no positive effect on the team.

Interesting analysis, but despite it being 0-0, weren't we absolutely terrible in that first half at Bristol City, failing to keep or pass the ball or have any control of the game. Was Charles perhaps one of the worst offenders?

12 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Vincent Kompany would like a word 😉

Ah. You've got me there!

My guess is we'll be bottom six at christmas and there will a lot of questions on here about that new contract he got. Waiting six months perhaps made more sense...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

For every Bazunu there's a Lavia

We kept KWP and Bednarek in the Championship. Have loaned and then signed Flynn and THB. Edwards at £3m looks like a huge bargain. Sugawara is a player that looks like he will fit right in. Stuart Taylor is doing OK so far, and arrived early like the others, and didn't cost the earth either. 

Honestly some of our fans want the moon on a stick.

IN CASE YOU HADN'T REALISED REAL LIFE ISN'T FAIR, AND DOING OUTSTANDINGLY WELL AT IT IS MUCH HARDER THAN FOOTBALL MANAGER.

If you haven't absolutely smashed your career personally perhaps be a little more charitable to those who have made it to compete in the upper echelons, against similar high achievers. 

So why are Ipswich managing it.

STOP HAVING A GO AT PEOPLE'S OPINIONS NO ONE KNOWS APART FROM THE CLUB 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

What have Ipswich managed? They seem to have created this illusion that they're having this mega, block-buster window.

They signed Hutchinson for £20m, signed him from loan like we did with THB and Flynn for similar fee's.

Jacob Greaves, talented CB from the Champ. We signed Wood, and Edwards from the EFL.

Liam Delap - £20m unproven at the top level.

Connor Townsend - Champ full back.

Ben Johnson - full back on a free from WHU. We signed Suguwara and LB Charlie Taylor.

Not seeing anything ground-breaking there that we're being left behind on, if I'm totally honest.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 33

The "I wish we were..." comments get funnier every year.

Remember when Norwich 'won' the transfer window in 13-14 after signing the likes of Hooper and van Wolfswinkel? 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

What have Ipswich managed? They seem to have created this illusion that they're having this mega, block-buster window.

They signed Hutchinson for £20m, signed him from loan like we did with THB and Flynn for similar fee's.

Jacob Greaves, talented CB from the Champ. We signed Wood, and Edwards from the EFL.

Ben Johnson - full back on a free from WHU. We signed Suguwara and LB Charlie Taylor.

Not seeing anything ground-breaking there that we're being left behind on, if I'm totally honest.

We have a better squad than Ipswich, no question at all. On top of that, a lot of our players have significant Prem experience (and international).

As for "so why are Ipswich managing it", they're not sitting too badly on the financial muscle side of things - Ipswich have something like £8-10Bn backers. They posted frankly huge losses for League 1 (which allowed them to build a core squad that could go up the leagues) and they'll no doubt post losses last year as well. They were jammy as hell to beat us, and i've got no doubt we were the better side by the end of the season. Take all the early season upheaval (players coming and going) and our change of tactics out of it, and we'd have been fine for automatics over the season - which is the advantage Ipswich had in building their squad in league 1. But going into the prem, we should happily consider ourselves as having at least as good a chance of survival as they have (in my opinion better).

• Like 9

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

No but his comment was it's not like a game however. Ipswich were league 1, 2 seasons ago. They spent money to escape that league. They spent money last season and finished above us. And yes they have spent similar money for tried and tested players. So the trajectory is like something from a computer game.

I'm less worried after seeing last night's game, taylor was a nice suprise for me and how he linked up. I am very concerned about the keeper situation. Why is lumley not being given an option he looked good in the cup games last season. 

It's just it still seems very little is happening and I am concerned we'll be fed some lame excuses as why some deals don't materialise

49 minutes ago, ant said:

Remember when Norwich 'won' the transfer window in 13-14 after signing the likes of Hooper and van Wolfswinkel? 😅

Where in my post have I said I wish we were Ipswich. I am happy we are saints I just wish there were proper facts coming out of the club rather than fan or media hearsay 

19 hours ago, CSA96 said:
Russell Martin post-Lazio: "There are things well on the way and there are things that are early on and we’re making headway with. And then there’s stuff that we’ve now dropped because they go elsewhere or we can’t afford the fee the club want right now. I’m relaxed about it because I think we’ll end the window in a really, really good place."

How to say an awful lot without saying anything whatsoever....

Really hope we spend whatever we have on a keeper. Johnstone I guess. Come on Saints. St James’ Park might be a horror story otherwise. Surely we don’t need to sell to get that done?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

Because Ipswich aren't hampered by PSR. I keep posting this but still not everyone is listening. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

It's just it still seems very little is happening and I am concerned we'll be fed some lame excuses as why some deals don't materialise

Lame excuses? Might they not just be reasons? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

We have a better squad than Ipswich, no question at all. On top of that, a lot of our players have significant Prem experience (and international).

As for "so why are Ipswich managing it", they're not sitting too badly on the financial muscle side of things - Ipswich have something like £8-10Bn backers. They posted frankly huge losses for League 1 (which allowed them to build a core squad that could go up the leagues) and they'll no doubt post losses last year as well. They were jammy as hell to beat us, and i've got no doubt we were the better side by the end of the season. Take all the early season upheaval (players coming and going) and our change of tactics out of it, and we'd have been fine for automatics over the season - which is the advantage Ipswich had in building their squad in league 1. But going into the prem, we should happily consider ourselves as having at least as good a chance of survival as they have (in my opinion better).

Having rich owners is irrelevant nowadays with PSR - but they can spend as they didn't spend £100m 4 transfer windows ago. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally I think Saints should give a daily press conference setting out, with PowerPoint slides where necessary, exactly who they want, how much they’re prepared to pay, and what contracts they will offer.

It’s the only way to keep everyone informed. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

33 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

No but his comment was it's not like a game however. Ipswich were league 1, 2 seasons ago. They spent money to escape that league. They spent money last season and finished above us. And yes they have spent similar money for tried and tested players. So the trajectory is like something from a computer game.

I'm less worried after seeing last night's game, taylor was a nice suprise for me and how he linked up. I am very concerned about the keeper situation. Why is lumley not being given an option he looked good in the cup games last season. 

Out of interest, do you currently reside in Austria?

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, DT said:

Really hope we spend whatever we have on a keeper. Johnstone I guess. Come on Saints. St James’ Park might be a horror story otherwise. Surely we don’t need to sell to get that done?

Genuine question. Johnstone makes the difference you think? McCarthy will make a mistake I'm sure, but Johnstone isn't immune to them either.

If Dubravka is the target, then that deal possibly ain't happening before that game.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

1) June-August 2024: Going OK

2) Jan 2024: Loaned Brooks (Good) & Rothwell (OK ish), Loaned out Charley to Juve (could have worked). Mason Holgate returned to Everton (Ideal)

3)  

During the Summer 2023 transfer window, Southampton FC made several signings, sales, and loans:

Signings

1. Shea Charles - Signed from Manchester City U21 for £10.78 million. (OK)
  2. Ross Stewart - Signed from Sunderland AFC for £8.184 million. (Unlucky with 2nd injury, would have been twice the price without injury and unaffordable)
  3. Ryan Manning - Joined on a free transfer from Swansea City. (Good for free, if only to teach our players how to play Russball)
  4. Joe Lumley - Joined on a free transfer from Middlesbrough FC. (meh)
  5. Taylor Harwood-Bellis - Arrived on loan from Manchester City. (Astounding and completely unexpected bearing in mind how much of a hole we were in)
  6. Mason Holgate - Joined on loan from Everton FC. (Woeful)
  7. Flynn Downes - Joined on loan from West Ham United. ("A cheat code for the Championship" RM)
  8. Ryan Fraser - Joined on loan from Newcastle United. (Excellent)
  9. Samuel Amo-Ameyaw - Promoted from Southampton FC U18. (Good)

Departures

1. James Ward-Prowse - Transferred to West Ham United for £30 million. (Maybe we could have got £35m but who would the buyer have been?)
  2. Roméo Lavia - Transferred to Chelsea FC for £54.648 million. (This was our return after Man City's cut. sale was ~£70m)
  3. Tino Livramento - Transferred to Newcastle United for £32.736 million. (Pretty good considering injury history, contract length and purchase price)
  4. Mislav Orsic - Transferred to Trabzonspor. (Deadwood moved out)
  5. Mohamed Elyounoussi - Transferred to FC Copenhagen. (Deadwood moved out)
  6. Ibrahima Diallo - Transferred to Al-Duhail SC. (Deadwood moved out)
  7. Theo Walcott - Released.
  8. Willy Caballero - Retired.
  9. Nathan Tella - Transferred to Bayer Leverkusen. (£25m. Ideally we wouldn't;t have sold him, but at least they got a good price: Better than Burnley would have paid)
  10. Mohammed Salisu - Transferred to Monaco. (Didn't want to be here. Judging by Adam Blackmore's comments may well have been a troublemaker)
  11. Moussa Djenepo - Transferred to Standard Liege. (Deadwood moved out)

Southampton's net transfer balance for the 2023/24 season was £137.94 million, with a total of £18.964 million spent on player purchases and £156.904 million received from player sales

Those are the windows I was suggesting have seen an improvement

Lot of dross in amongst that, far too much for a club of our size to continually cope with. So long as we stay in the “punt/bargain” bucket we’ll struggle to do well over any period of time in the premier league.

• Like 1

“The verbal agreement between Armel Bella-Kotchap and Hoffenheim is close.

The player wants to move to Hoffenheim.

It could end up being 15-17 million euros all-in” - From Florian Plettenberg who is very good on German transfers. 

Would help bolster the funds. Hopefully it gets done quickly. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Messing around?

We have made a substantial bid. We have discovered Celtic want a lot more.  What's your solution to that conundrum? If we have say £30m in the current budget, do we use it all today on O'Riley (and ignore the need for a keeper, winger and striker) or do we look at trying to get two or three players out of that budget? Tell me what your approach would be? 

Well when we very first linked with him back in June it was said valued at 30m plus their last two record sales where 25m each so I don’t really know how long it takes to discover that our bids are at least 8 mil or more short . Our bids are way short of his valuation and  we are messing them around thinking they are gonna back down when there is clearly other clubs interested ..

to answer your question I dont exactly know our budget .. but would have definitely had cf and gk priorities even over oriley.  I think our bids for wingers  isn’t really a position we are desperate for so if we are bidding 15-18 for likes of carvalho that could instead be used on oriley or the other positions  

goalkeeper wise it’s a shame we didn’t go for johansson he looked good and joined stoke so we could have probably pulled that off for a decent fee

would love broja as the cf but again it’s looking 25 m or so , so probably rules us out 

but yeah the main tweak I’d make is either sign Fraser on the cheap and let him compete with the likes of Sam amo bbd( if used wide ) dibling edozie sulemana ..  and use that 15-18 we where gonna spend in a position we are not to bad in to fund towards oriley and a striker 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

3 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

Because Ipswich are in year one of the Premier League's finance rules and don't have a season where they spent £150m and got relegated in their calculations?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

Having rich owners is irrelevant nowadays with PSR - but they can spend as they didn't spend £100m 4 transfer windows ago. 

This is true but SR still allowed a child with Excel to spunk all of that money with only Lavia really being the part. They’ve got to own it.

Last season was mildly better and getting the Tella fee worked well for all parties. 

Decent business so far tbf, but they’ve dug themselves a hole with Bazanu and McCarthy, SR just need to suck up the wages on a decent keeper loan and loan Gavin out in L1/L2 when he’s fit for a couple of seasons. Even if it’s £100k p/w.

Prior to them, Les pissed all of the VVD £85m away bar Stu and Jan. He must have dyscalculia as Lazio probably thought they were getting £1.7m for Hoedt (about right for a Serie A reserve player). £17m for Moi and more for Vesty….not keen on players with any pace then…but Carrillo topped it off. 

It will take a few years of up/down with the parachute payments to sort out the incompetence. Feel a bit sorry for Russell Martin in a way, as I did with Ralph.

Not sure Ipswich have invested wisely either in the spine of their team as we did in 2012 but we will see. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

2 hours ago, ant said:

Strange thing is, his goal record everywhere but Norwich is actually pretty good.

59 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Chelsea are about to sign yet another goalkeeper so surely they’ll be looking to send at least one of them out on loan. Hopefully another option we’re looking at if Ramsdale/Johnstone don’t work out. 

Chelsea’s squad has got to be the size of a small school now, probably the age range of one too. 😂

1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

Not been on twitter yet and can't find on here.

Apparently in talks over a move for Marc Guiu Paz.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Guiu

Broke through at Barcelona and did very well before being snapped up by Chelsea. I would not be against this if there was any truth to the report.

He is a pure centre forward, a classic '9', a specialist in the area who lives from his physical power. His best virtue is his aerial play. Marc is also very quick and powerful, he is unstoppable with space.

Edited by BARCELONASAINT
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Gloucester Saint said:

This is true but SR still allowed a child with Excel to spunk all of that money with only Lavia really being the part. They’ve got to own it.

Last season was mildly better and getting the Tella fee worked well for all parties. 

Decent business so far tbf, but they’ve dug themselves a hole with Bazanu and McCarthy, SR just need to suck up the wages on a decent keeper loan and loan Gavin out in L1/L2 when he’s fit for a couple of seasons. Even if it’s £100k p/w.

Prior to them, Les pissed all of the VVD £85m away bar Stu and Jan. He must have dyscalculia as Lazio probably thought they were getting £1.7m for Hoedt (about right for a Serie A reserve player). £17m for Moi and more for Vesty….not keen on players with any pace then…but Carrillo topped it off. 

It will take a few years of up/down with the parachute payments to sort out the incompetence. Feel a bit sorry for Russell Martin in a way, as I did with Ralph.

Not sure Ipswich have invested wisely either in the spine of their team as we did in 2012 but we will see. 

Of course SR have got to own it. Still irrelevant as to what we can spend this season though. 

Up/down only works if you don't spend much money - and you don't want to be that team as its a cycle that generally only goes one way in the PSR era. 

It feels like you don't really understand PSR. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Haha 1