Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Lazio are very interested in Southampton attacker Charly Alcaraz and would be interested in a loan with option to buy #saintsfc @Solo_La_Lazio

Not sure Lazio will be that interested anymore 😂😂

• Haha 9

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Andrew is back!! @Pat from Poole was a big fan of his. My god he talks some bollocks. He was prolific on twitter a few years back.

He’s prolific in a different way now. 🙄

Unfortunately, all the teenage Twitter “ITK’s” are now the ones that pop up the most. Alex and Rob are the worst, probably not bad people - Alex is just beyond irritating.

3 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Lazio are very interested in Southampton attacker Charly Alcaraz and would be interested in a loan with option to buy #saintsfc @Solo_La_Lazio

Edit, Lazio were very interested in Charly Alcaraz 🙂

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Need to kick the tires on Johnstone now right? Feels like we could wrap that up for 7-8M plus add-ons.

Just get it done. A steady goalkeeper is what we need, I'd love Ramsdale but the thought of waiting until deadline day to see who gets him on loan and then missing out altogether scares the daylights out of me. We've also got winnable games against Forest and Brentford before then

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Just get it done. A steady goalkeeper is what we need, I'd love Ramsdale but the thought of waiting until deadline day to see who gets him on loan and then missing out altogether scares the daylights out of me. We've also got winnable games against Forest and Brentford before then

and to think he was available on a free transfer the summer we spent £10m+ on Baz. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Brighton have bid €29m for O'Riley according to an Italian journalist 😰

Why would an Italian journalist be a reliable source for a transfer between a team in scotland and one in england? If they're regurgitating a more reliable source then i'll take more interest.

• Like 1

Hopefully we sell ABK this week. I'm hoping for close to 10 million. KWP also off soon assuming we are selling and I'd hope for 12-15. Onuachu hoping for 7 million and then someone like Alcaraz may have to be sacrificed for 17 million as a guess. Even if we get slightly less that should net us about 40 million which should hopefully mean we could afford o'riley or equivalent, maybe Carvalho and a keeper. Add in that spurs player abd I'd say we are pretty much done. That would be the dream scenario obviously. 

4 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Why would an Italian journalist be a reliable source for a transfer between a team in scotland and one in england? If they're regurgitating a more reliable source then i'll take more interest.

You're probably right but it wouldn't be that surprising would it. Surely we would be aware of what they will accept at this point. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Something to do with Atalanta maybe? Hopefully just putting two and two together with them getting all that money for Undav.

• Like 3

Russell Martin post-Lazio: "There are things well on the way and there are things that are early on and we’re making headway with. And then there’s stuff that we’ve now dropped because they go elsewhere or we can’t afford the fee the club want right now. I’m relaxed about it because I think we’ll end the window in a really, really good place."
Edited by CSA96
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CSA96 said:
Russell Martin post-Lazio: "There are things well on the way and there are things that are early on and we’re making headway with. And then there’s stuff that we’ve now dropped because they go elsewhere or we can’t afford the fee the club want right now. I’m relaxed about it because I think we’ll end the window in a really, really good place."

Very enlightening.

8 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Trying to put names to that:

Things now well on the way: Johnstone...? Carvalho...?
Other stuff early on still: Guess we won't know yet / or Johnstone?
Dropped because they will go elsewhere: Rak-Sakyi to Sheffield United, seemingly
Dropped because we can't afford the fee right now: O'Riley fee can't be met until we shift some out? I assume they thought KWP would be long gone by now

Edited by CSA96

19 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

"Because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Full answer from RM (speaking to Blackmore)...

How do you feel you're getting on with the window now?

Well, we are getting on. It's so difficult to do the stuff we want early. 

We haven't had any players leave the building so far, so no money has come in yet. It feels a little like we haven't done much but we signed Taylor and Flynn for a lot of money and so that feels different, because they were already here last year. They're not new signings, but the club have invested a lot of money in those two young players. We paid big fees for us - not for the rest of the Premier League - but big for us.

It feels like we haven't really improved our starting eleven just yet but it's a brilliant eleven that got us to the Premier League and we've now made them our own. So there's a different feeling about that. If we'd signed them fresh this summer people would've been really excited about that. 

So there's a bit of frustration at the lack of incomings maybe, you will know better than me, but we are working really hard all of us behind the scenes.

We are meeting regularly, we discuss everything and there are things that are well on the way - but things can change. And then there are things that are early on and we're making headway with that. Then there's stuff that we were on with but we've now dropped because they're going elsewhere or we can't afford to pay the fee right now. But things will change as the window goes on.

I'm relaxed about it because I think we'll end up at the end of the window in a really, really good place and the people that we have brought in are fantastic.

I think people forget that you have to wait sometimes before you actually get some money the other way...

Yeah, I think so. And also there's squad size. It was the same last summer. A lot of people left and as they left, other people came in. And I am convinced that it will be the same again.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Full answer from RM (speaking to Blackmore)...

How do you feel you're getting on with the window now?

...It feels like we haven't really improved our starting eleven just yet...

This bit is encouraging. Plenty of fans on here seem convinced he is happy that our current first team will be good enough to compete, but this snippet of his interview seems to confirm that he knows we need to improve on it and is confident we will do once a few outgoing deals have been wrapped up.

We need to get a wiggle on with that though. Time is ticking away.

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

This bit is encouraging. Plenty of fans on here seem convinced he is happy that our current first team will be good enough to compete, but this snippet of his interview seems to confirm that he knows we need to improve on it and is confident we will do once a few outgoing deals have been wrapped up.

Most of our best signings in the past have been towards the end of the window to be fair. 

9 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Trying to put names to that:

Things now well on the way: Johnstone...? Carvalho...?
Other stuff early on still: Guess we won't know yet / or Johnstone?
Dropped because they will go elsewhere: Rak-Sakyi to Sheffield United, seemingly
Dropped because we can't afford the fee right now: O'Riley fee can't be met until we shift some out? I assume they thought KWP would be long gone by now

If Liverpool really want £27.5m for Carvalho, then he could be on that can't afford the fee category too.

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

and to think he was available on a free transfer the summer we spent £10m+ on Baz. 

Many on here were quick to point out Johnstone’s limitations and that he was overrated.

Sad that he’s now considered a vast improvement on our current options.

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

And Leno available for £4million.

Incredible lack of judgement  in signing Bazunu as first choice GK at that time, for the sum involved. 

Another poor decision, in an ever growing line of them. 

Edited by Badger
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Clearly someone at the club monitors social media and recognises the general fan vibe of 'we have not improved the first 11 much'.

Like RM, I'm cool with the pace of things. It's like this every year. Got to shift some before we can buy some. Everyone holding out for the best deals. Lots of action towards the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

If Liverpool really want £27.5m for Carvalho, then he could be on that can't afford the fee category too.

Surely loan with mandatory to buy clause would be doable. £7.5million loan fee and £20million next summer. 

Article in The Guardian about which player each club should sign; here's Saints'..

Southampton: Aaron Ramsdale

While Southampton have a couple of problem areas to address before the transfer window closes, the most pressing concern is between the sticks. With Gavin Bazunu sidelined until next year owing to an achilles issue, Saints go into the season with Alex McCarthy as first choice, but he struggles with the ball at his feet. With that in mind, Russell Martin may look for a new shot-stopper. They could do a lot worse than Aaron Ramsdale, who rarely let Arsenal down and was talented enough to earn five England caps. Having lost his spot to David Raya at Arsenal, Ramsdale may be on the move. He deserves regular game time and would be an astute signing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Badger said:

Many on here were quick to point out Johnstone’s limitations and that he was overrated.

Sad that he’s now considered a vast improvement on our current options.

Incredible lack of judgement  in signing Bazunu as first choice GK at that time, for the sum involved. 

Another poor decision, in an ever growing line of them. 

Yeah appointing RM taking and keeping Flynn and THB keeping will and Sam E bringing both on during the season, keeping KWP encouraged the resurrection of AA’s career, delivering promotion and a record unbeaten run of matches refusing to buckle to fanpressure  and supporting RM and team at height of fan ire at style of play and results yup an ever growing line of bad decisions. 
If you search for negatives there’s always plenty to find in life you know. But the cup ain’t always half empty you know. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Surely loan with mandatory to buy clause would be doable. £7.5million loan fee and £20million next summer. 

That's a sizeable loan fee.

I assume the mandatory would be if we stayed up?

You'd be happy spending £27.5m on him? I think he's looked good in the championship, but he's unproven in the top flight. It seems a lot of money.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Sounds like we need to sell for the dominoes to start to fall. Selling KWP, ABK, TP and Sulemanna would raise around £60m id assume so that would more or less fund MOR and Carvalho. 

You would assume wrong with £60m!

Poor recruitment and contract management means we will probably be lucky to get £12-15m for KWP and pretty little else - certainly nowhere near £60m.

Edited by Dusic

20 minutes ago, Chez said:

That's a sizeable loan fee.

I assume the mandatory would be if we stayed up?

You'd be happy spending £27.5m on him? I think he's looked good in the championship, but he's unproven in the top flight. It seems a lot of money.

I was just using that figure as an example. Obviously we should try to negotiate down but if we can't afford the full amount up front I don't see anything wrong with splitting it that way, decent chunk up front with the majority of it at the end of the loan. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Poor recruitment and contract management means we will probably be lucky to get £12-15m for KWP and pretty little else - certainly nowhere near £60m.

Yeah we'd probably do well to get £40-45 million out of that lot right now. 

21 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Yeah appointing RM taking and keeping Flynn and THB keeping will and Sam E bringing both on during the season, keeping KWP encouraged the resurrection of AA’s career, delivering promotion and a record unbeaten run of matches refusing to buckle to fanpressure  and supporting RM and team at height of fan ire at style of play and results yup an ever growing line of bad decisions. 
If you search for negatives there’s always plenty to find in life you know. But the cup ain’t always half empty you know. 

Thanks for being such a positive ray of sunshine. 

I was focusing on the transfers, and contract decisions, specifically in the GK dept. Gunn, Forster contract extension, Bazunu, McCarthy contract extension. Let’s not start on the striker issue.

Some valid points you raise. Revisit it at the end of the transfer window, and again at end of October. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chez said:

Clearly someone at the club monitors social media and recognises the general fan vibe of 'we have not improved the first 11 much'.

Like RM, I'm cool with the pace of things. It's like this every year. Got to shift some before we can buy some. Everyone holding out for the best deals. Lots of action towards the end.

This is my concern. It is like this every year and we always end up disappointed.

29 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I'd imagine we'd also look to sell Alcaraz which could net us 60 in total with all the others. 

Edited by hypochondriac

1 hour ago, Chez said:

27M is their starting position and they'll come down from that (can't see anyone else meeting that valuation).  My guess is he'll probably go for around 22 - 24M which is probably about right for the current market and it's not much more than we paid for Sulemana.  Whether he's worth that, or more importantly worth spending the bulk of our money on (if that ends up being the case) is another question.  

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Thanks for being such a positive ray of sunshine. 

I was focusing on the transfers, and contract decisions, specifically in the GK dept. Gunn, Forster contract extension, Bazunu, McCarthy contract extension. Let’s not start on the striker issue.

Some valid points you raise. Revisit it at the end of the transfer window, and again at end of October. 

You are right. And sry if I sounded like a pompous whatever.  We have not got a brilliant record in goalies nor strikers. Can be improved.

We do have good records elsewhere though, and overall- well I guess they are above the median line in my book - largely in my eyes because we have a great team spirit -with players we kept and those we unloaded . It’s NOT a great team - but it’s a great team spirit - which was not there two years ago. We may have even had better players last time out but this lot have developed into a team much more. That counts for a lot in my book. Turning average players into good uns is a skill. 

Dont mind us losing if we play with spirit tbh. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Thank the Lord for someone with hope and optimism. The owners/management deserve more appreciation than usually evident on this site. Of course we will always be 'poor relations' in the top league, but we punch above our weight and I'm proud of that

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

"Because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know." 

Should be the Saintsweb motto

Looking forward to us taking two more weeks to go in with an offer of 35p and a packet of Twiglets for O’Riley. This low-balling approach looks like a half hearted attempt to say we have ambition without actually spending anything. Disappointing. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, DT said:

Looking forward to us taking two more weeks to go in with an offer of 35p and a packet of Twiglets for O’Riley. This low-balling approach looks like a half hearted attempt to say we have ambition without actually spending anything. Disappointing. 

We can't spend what we don't have.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

27M is their starting position and they'll come down from that (can't see anyone else meeting that valuation).  My guess is he'll probably go for around 22 - 24M which is probably about right for the current market and it's not much more than we paid for Sulemana.  Whether he's worth that, or more importantly worth spending the bulk of our money on (if that ends up being the case) is another question.  

Sure. But £24m feels quite a long way from our opening bid. Obviously it's an opening bid, but are our valuations of players just considerably less than the sellers...or are we just going through the usual horse trading?

19 minutes ago, DT said:

If we’d submitted our biggest offer earlier, Celtic would have known others were interested so would have been in no rush to sell to the first bidder. Brighton also would’ve still just outbid us.