Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Just now, Chewy said:

Not sure Forest and Wolves are out of the FFP mess yet either. And then of course there’s Man City … unlikely as any punishment seems. 

West Ham I think will struggle. They've traded their manager for one who I'm not convinced is any better solely off the fact he managed Real Madrid for 5 minutes. 

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Not sure Forest and Wolves are out of the FFP mess yet either. And then of course there’s Man City … unlikely as any punishment seems. 

I see City are about 28/1 to get relegated....(by comparison, Arsenal are 1000/1)

The past is gone and can't help Southampton Football Club. The future is what counts as we can do things to improve and build on our promotion. It would appear that Adam Lallana is well thought of and is demonstrating clear signs that he'll develop into a good coach. That being so and, if the club believes he will be an asset, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't give him a chance. Every appointment is a gamble and Lallana could prove a shrewd signing. Let's not cut off our nose to spite our face. I get that many were not happy with the way his move to Liverpool was handled but a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

If we assume that Adams and Stuey are off, the only one of the loaned out players with a future is Alcaraz, that Rothwell and Brooks go back to Bournemouth, McCarthy signs a 1 year extension and that we get Fraser and Lallana done early, I'd say we need at least:

- 1st Choice GK (Ramsdale is unrealistic and looks like 2+2=5 after Sunday, no other obvious names at the moment. Butland link seems like a lazy one)

- Left-Back (Manning not good enough for Prem, Larios needs a loan move to get back to fitness, Meghoma still developing but could compete with Manning for back-up role along with Fraser as WB if needs be. No obvious names at the moment to come in)

- Centre-Back (Stephens, Bednarek and THB all decent options but need a 4th. Matip linked and would bring experience but could we afford the wages? The club really like Jacob Greaves at Hull so that may be one to keep an eye on)

- Defensive Midfielder (Downes the obvious preference but need to have a natural cut-off if West Ham delay their decision on whether to let him go. Definitely need to look at other targets in case they want to keep him and/or he wants to stay there)

- Creative Midfielder (Alcaraz can come back in and his style should actually be more suited to the PL, Smallbone can play in number 8 position but if Stuey is off then we need another in his type of role to compete with Charly. O'Riley would be excellent and exactly the type of profile we should be looking but may be hard to do. O'Hare on a free would be smart business with not much risk associated with it)

- Left Winger (Fraser game time likely to be limited, Edozie a good back-up. I suspect Sulemana will go. Jack Clarke a top talent and should be our number one target - aggressive, end product, wins fouls, still relatively young so has scope to get better)

- x2 Strikers (Armstrong should continue on the right-wing, Adams going and Mara hopefully shipped out which would only leave us with Ross Stewart if we assume Tall Paul has no future here. Miovski linked for a long-time but feels like a big step up for him. At £6m quoted fee however, minimal risk and a good back-up option? Another buy from the Championship like with Adams, Armstrong feels like a big risk so maybe a left-field option from abroad? We're admirers of Vangelis Pavlidis from AZ (29 goals this season) so that may be one we go in for.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I keep reading stuff like this but I’ve no idea what it actually translates to in literal, real world terms. I can just picture Lallana turning up at Staplewood for the first day of preseason saying, “hey guys, I’m Adam. I came through the academy here 17 years ago!” Whilst everyone just stares blankly at him like, “oh right… yeah, cheers mate.”

Literally every player came through an academy somewhere, at some point in their career. There’s nothing interesting, useful or special about Lallana or any of his lived experiences.

This scenario reminds me somewhat of the Walcott return, not really sure that worked, particularly as to what it actually cost….

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

West Ham I think will struggle. They've traded their manager for one who I'm not convinced is any better solely off the fact he managed Real Madrid for 5 minutes. 

I initially thought that too. They’re GD this season for a team finishing as high as they did flattered to deceive. Without changing Moyes I’d have them nailed in as bottom six next season. 
BUT in Lopetegui they have got one of the best coaches in world football for his teams not conceding goals. He plays ostensibly a PB game but he is Uber pragmatic about defending ( I think he would be an ultimate and appropriate role model for RM!)  Dont think west hand fans will like the football but I suspect he will do enough to keep them up. And thry should be grateful. But they won’t be. Especially as they have no proper Stiker ( yet- and I don’t include Bowen as he is more an AA type). IF lopetegui does not start good though and he does not get the players he will need it could unravel for whufc pretty quickly…

Edited by gio1saints

5 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

This scenario reminds me somewhat of the Walcott return, not really sure that worked, particularly as to what it actually cost….

Walcott nit working doesn't mean this won't. If Russell thinks it's worthwhile then fair enough. 

Posted (edited)

As long as the intention is to groom him for management then I can’t see why Saints would not have him ( inexpensively) to teach him the ropes of coaching. His experience is excellent. 

If it’s as a player then I see little value myself. Does he displace Will? Joe? Flynn? Shea? Or replace Stu Armstrong as the one who can carry the ball a bit from def/midfield to attack? The latter is possibly what attribute I think they might most like with AL as a player because in Stu’s absence it’s only KWP who dies it well, Joe kind of,  Flynn tes  1 or 2 per match  or Jack Stephens but it’s heart in mouth time. Arguably Adam is better than those ( except kwp) at that particular ball carry skill. But other than that cannot see much playing justification. Unless he is super cheap in which case yes id have him but not if he wants big bucks. 

Edited by gio1saints

36 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Walcott nit working doesn't mean this won't. If Russell thinks it's worthwhile then fair enough. 

How many fans thought Sulemana and Alcaraz would tear up the Championshjp, me included?

None of us thought Aribo would be such a key player... But Russ instrumented that... If Lallana is a player Russ wants and trusts then that's enough for me. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

How many fans thought Sulemana and Alcaraz would tear up the Championshjp, me included?

None of us thought Aribo would be such a key player... But Russ instrumented that... If Lallana is a player Russ wants and trusts then that's enough for me. 

Yep. It's all about having the attributes to fit the system and like someone else said Lallana is one of the best at keeping the ball. Could all go to shit but I'd be more hopeful of it working than Theo. 

• Like 1

Really don’t see Ings happening. Said this last year but he’s too similar to what we have. Imagine telling Armstrong, after his best season for us, ‘yeah that guy you replaced initially, he’s coming back’. If we’re signing a striker to replace Adams it’ll be someone with the same profile as him. 

Think his agent is once again just using the convenient link to get his name out there. 

• Like 1

Would definitely like to think our scouts could do better than this current version of Ings. 

However, I'd quickly get on board if he is where we landed. Wouldn't cost a lot and we never got close to replacing his level of finishing. 

11 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Really don’t see Ings happening. Said this last year but he’s too similar to what we have. Imagine telling Armstrong, after his best season for us, ‘yeah that guy you replaced initially, he’s coming back’. If we’re signing a striker to replace Adams it’ll be someone with the same profile as him. 

Think his agent is once again just using the convenient link to get his name out there. 

Eh? Armstrong doesn't play in the same position. 

6 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Would definitely like to think our scouts could do better than this current version of Ings. 

However, I'd quickly get on board if he is where we landed. Wouldn't cost a lot and we never got close to replacing his level of finishing. 

It would probably be a disaster but I think everyone would like to see Ings if he got back to where he was before with us. Imagine getting Pompey in the cup again with Ings leading the line...

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Now he doesn't, but he was signed as a striker. 

Yes but if we brought Ings in (I don't think we will) why would Armstrong care? He wouldn't be competing in the same position. 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes but if we brought Ings in (I don't think we will) why would Armstrong care? He wouldn't be competing in the same position. 

Yeah fair point. Hopefully the plan is to keep using Armstrong on the right wing. We played him on the left before in the Prem and he wasn't particularly effective. 

Those giving Lallana a hard time about how he left, Ings’ departure wasn’t much better.

He had a club record contract ready for him to sign for 12 months, which he refused and then left at the first viable opportunity. He’s also done absolutely fck all since, got more injured and his only good season came in that purple patch with us.

Ings would be a terrible signing.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Those giving Lallana a hard time about how he left, Ings’ departure wasn’t much better.

He had a club record contract ready for him to sign for 12 months, which he refused and then left at the first viable opportunity. He’s also done absolutely fck all since, got more injured and his only good season came in that purple patch with us.

Ings wasn't the captain, nor did he refuse to train or play down his affinity to the club in public. Footballers are perfectly entitled to turn down offers if they want to go elsewhere. The reason Lallana isn't particularly liked is due to the manner of his departure rather than the fact he left. I have however heard that Ings really has little attachment to Southampton and isn't particularly fussed how we do. 

• Like 7

Ings isnt the answer....

Ipswich are in for Broja, but again since he left us he has done naff all and been injured, so i am not sure he is the answer either....

Same old problem - finding a reliable prem league goalscorer is not easy!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Ings wasn't the captain, nor did he refuse to train or play down his affinity to the club in public. Footballers are perfectly entitled to turn down offers if they want to go elsewhere. The reason Lallana isn't particularly liked is due to the manner of his departure rather than the fact he left. I have however heard that Ings really has little attachment to Southampton and isn't particularly fussed how we do. 

Lallana didn’t refuse to train, he was at the World Cup until late June and joined Liverpool on 1st July.

Ings doesn’t give two shits about Saints, if you meet him he’ll tell you that. 

Anyway, I’m not keen on a Lallana return, but it’s a hard no on Ings. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

This is 100% true. Apart from being from netley, family / friends being from southampton - he's got no affliation to the club. 

• Like 2

Just now, ErwinK1961 said:

Lallana didn’t refuse to train, he was at the World Cup until late June and joined Liverpool on 1st July.

Ings doesn’t give two shits about Saints, if you meet him he’ll tell you that. 

Anyway, I’m not keen on a Lallana return, but it’s a hard no on Ings. 

No, but the news out the club was that he'd told them he'd refuse to play if we didn't let him talk to Liverpool. 

• Like 4

No to ings 

no to Alice band lallana 

…i reckon broja up top .. jack Clarke & arma on the wings .

smallbonio , flynniesta & stuey (they’ll stay)

new lb ..Abk   THB & Kwp 

Macca / new gk.

Armstrong and Stewart (as I believe he will prove good) so I think we only need one "decent" striker. Having Mara and maybe Onoucha as other options is ok. 

I'd be happy if we took a punt on Szmodics.

Jack Clarke will be worth it, O'Hare on a free would be ok if we lose Stu. 

Lallana I think could be awesome for the experience we will probably lose in Stu and Adams, particularly on the training pitch which is not to be underestimated in terms of value over all. 

We deffo need to sign Downes. I think he will but perhaps slightly more than anticipated but I'd say he's worth it even if it was 20-25m because he is so critical to our system because he's played it longer than anyone with RM.

We need a CB, THB is great and will get better. JB is ok and has had a good season. JS I'm concerned about as his decision making seems to be his Achilles heel and that is more important as PL level. As number 3/4 choice he will be good and has a tiny bit of flexibility.

A LB of note is desperately needed. I'd prefer Perraud even over Manning, but neither ideally. 

As long as KWP stays RB is probably ok, but who is back up. 

A number 1 GK is really important. Noone should be fooled by AMCs performance in 3 games but as a number 2 he is decent. GB is not the answer. 

It's going to be a very interesting summer in and out but we are well placed I feel to get some very decent additions - Downes being key!!

• Confused 1

Keep Stu and make him do his coaching badges. He can 45/45 groundshare with Lallana then when RM gets poached they can fight to be the next manager.

And on strikers.. are they still interested in Shankland ? He may get a run out at the euros at Che's expense so worth watching

34 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

We should try to get Daniel James from Leeds on a fire sale. 

No thanks. He's got four or five PL seasons under his belt and delivered very little in any of them.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, offsidetrap said:

Keep Stu and make him do his coaching badges. He can 45/45 groundshare with Lallana then when RM gets poached they can fight to be the next manager.

And on strikers.. are they still interested in Shankland ? He may get a run out at the euros at Che's expense so worth watching

Think Armstrong wants a career in Law after he finishes playing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Am I misremembering how Lallana left then? I thought (a) he was our captain and (b) had recently signed a new bigger contract, saying stuff like  he could stay here all his career,  then made a big fuss and insisted on going as soon as Liverpool looked interested. 

Worse than Ings.

It felt like a betrayal at the time, especially from a player we'd seen develop from a youngster over the years.

Ings, on the other hand we'd let go as a young player and hadn't been back with is for all that long.

Having said that, Ings as he is now as opposed to how he was, not a good signing.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

No thanks. He's got four or five PL seasons under his belt and delivered very little in any of them.

When he hit the bar he had a little tantrum like a spoilt kid, it was amusing hen I saw it on the TV

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Weird one, wonder if he’s a bit of dick behind the scenes. Played a lot in his first seasons at Man United and Leeds then didn’t play much after that, loaned out to Fulham last season who didnt sign him despite playing 20 games. Might be one of those players like Steeeeeeeeve De Ridder who when you first see him think he’s great because of his pace yet quickly gets exposed as having little else in his locker. 

Amazed so many are against the idea of Broja.

I saw a player who was making his first steps at PL level who had all the attributes to be a really good PL striker: pace, power, finishing ability and an ability to create something for himself.

That he hasnt shown it since is down to a.) injury and b.) lack of opportunity/confidence in him.

Assuming the former hasn't significantly hampered him - which is hard for anyone to really judge admittedly - then if a club provides the latter I see no reason why he wouldn't be really successful.

Aside from Ings he was easily the best striker we have had for ages and in his best spell he really troubled top PL centre backs which isn't easy to do and when signing someone who has never played in the PL you have no clue if they even have the ability to do that or not. We know Broja can.

The fact he will now be available for much less and therefore affordable for us is just a bonus.

• Like 6