Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

8 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Transfer journalist Fabrizio Romano reports that Hoffenheim and Stuttgart have both approached Saints for the centre-back ABK that is:-) 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps

Move back to Germany feels like the right one for ABK. As long as they aren't offering peanuts I'd expect him to go. Good news for the club that there is still good interest there.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Turkish said:

we spent more than that though, the £75m was just what we spent on young players, that doesn't even include Bella=-Kotchap who was also 20 and played most of his football in the Budesliga 2, but at least he contributed even if his attitude is questionable. 

the difference between 14/15 and 22/23 was we signed good, experienced players who went straight into the first team. Bertrand, Tadic, Long, Forster, Pelle, Mane, Alderwierld on loan. All of them with plenty of first team football under their belts, all of them had played at international level, some of them had played in the champions league. They weren't kids who had never kicked a ball in mens football before who needed 2, 3, 4 years to develop. You can get away with one or two like that but not 5 or 6 in one window

Indeed but the other differences are that the money we spent was raised through sales, 22/23 we didn't raise anything. 

And also the price inflation makes a huge difference. The players we signed in 14/15 would have cost us probably twice that now, maybe even more.

1 minute ago, Hopper said:

Move back to Germany feels like the right one for ABK. As long as they aren't offering peanuts I'd expect him to go. Good news for the club that there is still good interest there.

I'd be disappointed if there isn't a way back for him here to be honest, considering we look happy to play Jack Stephens as first choice.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Imagine loan with option offers.

7 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

There’s no hope for Mara.  Absolute dogshit.

Here is your managers opinion:

He is a player Martin likes, and the Saints boss was full of praise for Mara after an FA Cup brace against Watford in February, saying: “He is very talented player. He played on the left, on the right and through the middle.

“I’m really pleased for him. He is such a laid-back young man and a great person. I really enjoy Sekou’s energy.

“I think sometimes he can look a bit relaxed and languid but he is not – he trains like a beast.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I'd be disappointed if there isn't a way back for him here to be honest, considering we look happy to play Jack Stephens as first choice.

Reportedly his attitude stinks and both the gaffer and team aren't having it. Shame as he's got all the tools but if he doesn't want to play and he dissrupts the group then best to turf him out.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Blackmore basically alluded to him being a prick. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

He is a player Martin likes, and the Saints boss was full of praise for Mara after an FA Cup brace against Watford in February, saying: “He is very talented player. He played on the left, on the right and through the middle.

“I’m really pleased for him. He is such a laid-back young man and a great person. I really enjoy Sekou’s energy.

“I think sometimes he can look a bit relaxed and languid but he is not – he trains like a beast.”

cam Martin not tell him when we play that it's a training session really!....Maybe the useless twat will play like a beast in a real game where it matters then!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Mara is utter shite ...laziest fook ive ever seen in a Saints shirt!

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Reportedly his attitude stinks and both the gaffer and team aren't having it. Shame as he's got all the tools but if he doesn't want to play and he dissrupts the group then best to turf him out.

RM certainly highly values players who show they desperately want to be here. 

Whats your source for saying his attitude stinks? Seems repeated on here a bit but not seen proper explanation that’s not been torn to shreds as simply wrong. 

He’s not been back long and was a long time injured - and was not in Spain. Whats he done ? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Whats your source for saying his attitude stinks? Seems repeated on here a bit but not seen proper explanation that’s not been torn to shreds as simply wrong. 

He’s not been back long and was a long time injured - and was not in Spain. Whats he done ? 

Reported by Adam Blackmore. here's the summary on this thread:

H

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0jgp36d Whole thing is worth a listen. ABK chat from 2:10

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

we spent £75m on Lavia, Bazunu, Larios, Edozie, Mara, Alcarez and Sulemana in 2022/23. that's more money than we've ever spent in any window. None of them will be on the starting team sheet when we play Newcastle. 

Lavia - top player, sold for a good wedge

Baz - out badly injured but statistically the worst GK in the Championship, little chance of offloading for a decent sum but expected to return to 1st team duties when fit. £4m?

Larios - out badly injured, so has had little to no chance to prove his worth. £8m?

Edozie - has a chance of starting against Newcastle, albeit a small one or at least featuring off the bench. Still has good value…£15m?

Mara - agree…useless and unlikely to get better in the system, with little value…£3-4m probably too much for a L1 club.

Alcarez - at club while management change happened so playing style doesn’t suit…hence his loan. Still got good value in him…£15m?

Sulemana - not really happening for him in RM’s system, but a chance he could feature off the bench and a player with good value still…£15m?

Think £75m for that lot despite their issues, is actually not exactly a disaster in terms of strategy, however it does serve to illustrate very clearly how spending big on a number of youth is a huge risk for a club of our means, relying on at least one of them to be good enough for immediate 1st team appearances AND to command a high selling price.

Here is what I think will happen, we will make a handful of signings and there will be a series of players going out the door. However, will we end up with who we're being linked with now? No. It'll be options B, C and D. Will it be the club's fault? No, not really. If it was as simple as paying the money then yes it would be their fault but people fail to take into account the player / agent's desires. Why sign for Southampton now if perhaps an Aston Villa, Sevilla or AC Milan comes knocking later in the window if their first choices fall through? We just have to accept this is where we are in the pecking order. Also, if you want some reassurance that the market is fucked, West Ham spending £27m + add ons for a 31 year old is insane especially when you factor in they've given him a four year contract. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Who needs sources? I haven't been on Saintsweb long but I learned pretty quickly that most of what's posted on here is in the poster's head and nowhere else.

Edited by Oldandtired

1 minute ago, Oldandtired said:

Who needs sources? I haven't been on Saintsweb long but I learned pretty quickly that most of what posted on here is in the poster's head and nowhere else.

I literally linked back to the source above mate. 😂

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Lavia - top player, sold for a good wedge

Baz - out badly injured but statistically the worst GK in the Championship, little chance of offloading for a decent sum but expected to return to 1st team duties when fit. £4m?

Larios - out badly injured, so has had little to no chance to prove his worth. £8m?

Edozie - has a chance of starting against Newcastle, albeit a small one or at least featuring off the bench. Still has good value…£15m?

Mara - agree…useless and unlikely to get better in the system, with little value…£3-4m probably too much for a L1 club.

Alcarez - at club while management change happened so playing style doesn’t suit…hence his loan. Still got good value in him…£15m?

Sulemana - not really happening for him in RM’s system, but a chance he could feature off the bench and a player with good value still…£15m?

Think £75m for that lot despite their issues, is actually not exactly a disaster in terms of strategy, however it does serve to illustrate very clearly how spending big on a number of youth is a huge risk for a club of our means, relying on at least one of them to be good enough for immediate 1st team appearances AND to command a high selling price.

I like your optimism on some of these players but some of those numbers are pretty high. 

Baz - due to limited number of goalkeepers he may go for more. 

Larios - free to £2m

Edozie - £7m and that would be us pulling a team’s pants down.

Mara - agree

Alcarez - unfortunately has not progressed and a loan to Juve didn’t help, probably would have been better going to a lower level Italian club. Will leave for no more than £8m at some point.

Sulemana - has done nothing so see Edozie. He is an international so perhaps a little higher fee than Edozie but £10m max. 

It’s like when we got relegated from the Premier League last year time with people over rating our players. On current form and historical performance, none of the above get in a Premier League competitor. 

Edited by Daft Kerplunk
Punctuation.

36 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Reported by Adam Blackmore. here's the summary on this thread:

H

Ah. So it’s Adam Blackmore that says BK’s attitude stinks. Any corroboration?

In the absence of anything other than Adams opinion  I can offer a counter opinion

His attitude did not seem to stink to me when he was staying behind voluntarily to sign countless shirts for kids at the Open training session recently  (unlike some other players ). 
However He has got a naturally surly countenance. Seems hard to get a smile out of him.

Perhaps we should not judge people by what they look like but how well they actually play football? And nobody has seen him do that for far too long. 

Id love to actually see the bloke playing football again - in a Saints shirt. And if he’s not good enough get rid. But until then…

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

And therein lies the problem…Lavia was exceptional for his age and there are plenty more examples (not just in our team). The issue lies in the initial scouting and then the crazy deals given, as shown by previous regimes who squandered so much on the hope of a big payday when the youngster is snapped up by a ‘big’ team.

Which the best strategy - Saints take the risk signing a youngster for millions with the hope of a big payday…or, let the ‘big money’ teams take the risk by signing these players, then Saints step in and buy those that don’t quite meet the ‘big money teams’ expectations? I would suggest the latter is best and seems to be more the approach we’re taking lately, however that’s not to say we abandon the Academy and produce solid talent like Tyler.

Very good idea.

A case in point is Hudson Odoi who really looked good at Forrest last year. Exactly the kind of young talented player we want, but had not quite got it going at Chelsea despite getting to big contract.

That said, maybe given time, we will be praising the Charles and Edozie signings.

Perhaps a varied transfer approach is the best idea.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

What has Mara contributed since then? 

4 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

I like your optimism on some of these players but some of those numbers are pretty high. 

Baz - due to limited number of goalkeepers he may go for more. 

Larios - free to £2m

Edozie - £7m and that would be us pulling a team’s pants down.

Mara - agree

Alcarez - unfortunately has not progressed and a loan to Juve didn’t help, probably would have been better going to a lower level Italian club. Will leave for no more than £8m at some point.

Sulemana - has done nothing so see Edozie. He is an international so perhaps a little higher fee than Edozie but £10m max. 

It’s like when we got relegated from the Premier League last year time with people over rating our players. On current form and historical performance, none of the above get in a Premier League competitor. 

You may be right, however if the clubs stance on Tall Paul is anything to go by (holding out for €10m) they’ll not be gifting these players away bearing in mind how much Sulemana cost (£22m?).

22 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

He probably is still worth a good wedge but I'd like him to stay and I don't believe it's that difficult to change tactics slightly to accommodate him. At the moment, our goalscoring ideas seem to be THB threading a through ball and a slow build up down the wing which fizzles to nothing. Whenever Alcarez had the ball, you felt something could happen and opportunities would open up and to be fair to him, they often did. Yes, he loses the ball a lot but surely the team can work out what to to do when that happens.

And as for ABK, from the stands you could tell his attitude stank. OK, not everyone has to show Lyanco style passion but he didn't seem to care and did seem to want off injured at the earliest opportunity. So it comes as no surprise when Blackmore says he's a bad egg. One of the worst in that crap team of two years ago

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

In the absence of anything other than Adams option I can offer a counter opinion

His attitude did not seem to stink to me when he was staying behind voluntarily to sign countless shirts for kids at the Open training session recently  (unlike some other players ). 
He has got a naturally surly countenance. Seems hard to get a smile out of him.

Perhaps we should not judge people by what they look like but how well they actually play football? And nobody has seen him do that for far too long. 

Id love to actually see the bloke playing football again - in a Saints shirt. And if he’s not good enough get rid. But until then…

Sorry - you saw him sign some shirts once and now you think you have more insight into his personality and impact behind the scenes than the guy who reports on Saints for a living, has done forever and knows most people inside the club? 

Is that right? 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

In the absence of anything other than Adams opinion  I can offer a counter opinion

However He has got a naturally surly countenance. Seems hard to get a smile out of him.

I don't think we as fans are qualified to judge the players personallity at all. That's the manager's job and it's plainly obvious he's not figured into Russ' plans. We know it's not down to his playing ability so it's logical to draw those conclusions. Even more so when that's amplified by a reputable reporter that is closer to the club than any of us.

Baffling take.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Here is what I think will happen, we will make a handful of signings and there will be a series of players going out the door. However, will we end up with who we're being linked with now? No. It'll be options B, C and D. Will it be the club's fault? No, not really. If it was as simple as paying the money then yes it would be their fault but people fail to take into account the player / agent's desires. Why sign for Southampton now if perhaps an Aston Villa, Sevilla or AC Milan comes knocking later in the window if their first choices fall through? We just have to accept this is where we are in the pecking order. Also, if you want some reassurance that the market is fucked, West Ham spending £27m + add ons for a 31 year old is insane especially when you factor in they've given him a four year contract. 

I think in the case of O'Reilly it'll all be on Celtic playing the shrewd businessman game rather than agents as I'd find it hard to believe that O'Reilly's parents would whispering in his ear that playing under Russell Martin ain't it anymore. 

Edited by V.Johnathan.Wilson

Just now, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

I think in the case of O'Reilly it'll all be on Celtic playing the shrewd businessman game rather than agents as I'd find it hard to believe that O'Reilly's parents would whispering in his ear that playing under Russell Martin ain't it. 

It’s O’Riley

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Blackmore basically alluded to him being a prick. 

He alluded to him being negative. For all we know he just didn't think passing the ball across our own six yard box made sense. RM obviously doesn't agree and never the twain shall meet. 

He could very well just be a pain in the arse, who knows. It mute. He will depart again on some form.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Twitter shout of the day.

Wassnt aware that he spends his week at the training ground trawling through hours of raw footage to come to that conclusion.

IMG_6311.jpeg

I know he has frequent hot takes, but this is definitely trolling...

2 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Sorry - you saw him sign some shirts once and now you think you have more insight into his personality and impact behind the scenes than the guy who reports on Saints for a living, has done forever and knows most people inside the club? 

Is that right? 

No sir. But then again I do not usually need to be told what my opinion is on someone’s character- I tend to work it out for myself. One man’s meat is another man’s poison as they say. 

This attitude stinks thing is perplexing seeing as he’s been gone a year. 

It’s obvious he’s going to go - especially as he plays same position as Club Captain third choice CB and fourth choice RM’s darling that’s he’s wanted for ages plus Ronnie but I dont think this attitude stinks thing is really all that tasteful a reason to publicise given that reality. 

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Very good idea.

A case in point is Hudson Odoi who really looked good at Forrest last year. Exactly the kind of young talented player we want, but had not quite got it going at Chelsea despite getting to big contract.

That said, maybe given time, we will be praising the Charles and Edozie signings.

Perhaps a varied transfer approach is the best idea.

Off the back of this, I took a look at squads and potentially similar players in the CHO mould...stumbling block for CHO would have been his £120k wages at Chelsea. Some will undoubtedly be out of our range, but stuck them in list anyway...

Man City

Mctee
Oscar Bobb
Rico Lewis
Kabore
Perrone
Phillips

Chelsea
Bettinelli
Sanchez
Wiley
Chalobah
Colwill
Chukwuemeka
Anjorin
Casadei
Lavia
Ugochukwu
Guiu
Fofana
Broja

Arsenal
Reiss Nelson
Nketiah

Liverpool
Doak
Bobby Clark
Bajcetic
Kelleher
Endo
Carvalho

Man Utd
Amad Diallo
Pellestri
Mctominay

Edited by Saint Garrett
Added Carvalho
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hopper said:

I don't think we as fans are qualified to judge the players personallity at all. That's the manager's job and it's plainly obvious he's not figured into Russ' plans. We know it's not down to his playing ability so it's logical to draw those conclusions. Even more so when that's amplified by a reputable reporter that is closer to the club than any of us.

Baffling take.

When players--or people in ordinary occupations---are constantly 'sicknotes' there is always a question mark about their attitude as well as their health.
ABK sick notes are two a penny, not only with us but with the German squad as well. Some talented players don't have the career they should have because of constant sick notes or nerves, we've all seen it and its rather sad. Maybe ABK is one of them

2 hours ago, Chez said:

He alluded to him being negative. For all we know he just didn't think passing the ball across our own six yard box made sense. RM obviously doesn't agree and never the twain shall meet. 

He could very well just be a pain in the arse, who knows. It mute. He will depart again on some form.

You might have hit the nail on the head.

Hypothetically speaking, Being negative might just be he’s not getting with the RM programme and perhaps said so out loud. Bad mistake!

RM has shipped out most non believers and we now have a homogenised & great team ethic it seems. Having someone at CB who may think being told to keep playing one twos in the penalty box with his keeper under pressure is nuts may be construed as heresy/ having a bad attitude. The next one with a bad attitude will be Charlie I reckon. 

"Armando Broja will hold talks with Enzo Maresca ahead of an expected move after returning home. Wants a permanent move.

Chelsea want £25m, Wolves keen as are Everton, only were Calvert-Lewin to leave. Southampton expressed interest but won't meet valuation."

Jack Rosser, who has been brilliant on us this Summer. Hopefully we can end up on some sort of loan/option move for Broja, as I really still think it's the most promising link we've got at the moment. I still believe there's high upside on him with regular minutes.

• Like 5

Sensible from us, I think. At a lower price or on loan I'd take a punt on Broja but £25m is a silly ask given what he has/hasn't done since he was last at Saints (inc injury)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

"Armando Broja will hold talks with Enzo Maresca ahead of an expected move after returning home. Wants a permanent move.

Chelsea want £25m, Wolves keen as are Everton, only were Calvert-Lewin to leave. Southampton expressed interest but won't meet valuation."

Jack Rosser, who has been brilliant on us this Summer. Hopefully we can end up on some sort of loan/option move for Broja, as I really still think it's the most promising link we've got at the moment. I still believe there's high upside on him with regular minutes.

I know fees today are ridiculous but how the hell can they seriously value him at that !!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

Sensible from us, I think. At a lower price or on loan I'd take a punt on Broja but £25m is a silly ask given what he has/hasn't done since he was last at Saints (inc injury)

Completely agree for what it's worth. 

I do think he'd be a good move at the right cost, which is preferably a prove-it loan deal with an actual option to buy this time. Any striker we sign is going to have red flags, and his are definitely worrying with the injury/Fulham failure. Although it was no disgrace to be stuck behind what Muniz showed at the end of last season. £25m is madness, and I'd imagine it'll come down gradually as Chelsea are forced to keep selling academy players.

2 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Yeah definitely - a loan with option to buy at end of season for £18/20m would be good business, but far too risky otherwise.

4 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I know fees today are ridiculous but how the hell can they seriously value him at that !!!

Because £25m is next to nothing for a player with PL experience & bags of potential. Gone are the days of picking up ready made top half PL players for 10-15m. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Off the back of this, I took a look at squads and potentially similar players in the CHO mould...stumbling block for CHO would have been his £120k wages at Chelsea. Some will undoubtedly be out of our range, but stuck them in list anyway...

Man City

Mctee
Oscar Bobb
Rico Lewis
Kabore
Perrone
Phillips

Chelsea
Bettinelli
Sanchez
Wiley
Chalobah
Bolwill
Chukwuemeka
Anjorin
Casadei
Lavia
Ugochukwu
Guiu
Fofana
Broja

Arsenal
Reiss Nelson
Nketiah

Liverpool
Doak
Bobby Clark
Bajcetic
Kelleher
Endo

Man Utd
Amad Diallo
Pellestri
Mctominay

Can’t deny there’s some useful looking players in there that would instantly improve the team, but it’s the wages that will scupper any potential deal.

43 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Man City

Mctee
Oscar Bobb
Rico Lewis
Kabore
Perrone
Phillips

Chelsea
Bettinelli
Sanchez
Wiley
Chalobah
Bolwill
Chukwuemeka
Anjorin
Casadei
Lavia
Ugochukwu
Guiu
Fofana
Broja

Arsenal
Reiss Nelson
Nketiah

Liverpool
Doak
Bobby Clark
Bajcetic
Kelleher
Endo

Man Utd
Amad Diallo
Pellestri
Mctominay

GK: Dubravka (loan) 

AM: Mctee (Loan with mandatory purchase if we stay up in the mold of the THB)

ST: Nketiah £20m 

improves our side no end and stops the messing around with Celtic over an unproven player they want £30m for. 

If we're being really greedy - Lets try for Amad Diallo. But He'll be in the united squad this season, i'm ure of it. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

GK: Dubravka (loan) 

AM: Mctee (Loan with mandatory purchase if we stay up in the mold of the THB)

ST: Nketiah £20m 

improves our side no end and stops the messing around with Celtic over an unproven player they want £30m for. 

If we're being really greedy - Lets try for Amad Diallo. But He'll be in the united squad this season, i'm ure of it. 

Nketiah for £20M - you are dreaming. The Arse want £30M

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-transfer-rumours-nketiah-merino-b2592100.html

32 minutes ago, Dman said:

Because £25m is next to nothing for a player with PL experience & bags of potential. Gone are the days of picking up ready made top half PL players for 10-15m. 

It’s also a massive gamble at that price on someone who has had a horrific knee injury and hasn’t looked effective since.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

It’s also a massive gamble at that price on someone who has had a horrific knee injury and hasn’t looked effective since.

I don't dissagree. As a newly promoted side, probably not a gamble we should take - espeically after so recently being stung for half of that for a player with very limited championship experience and a dubious injury record. 

As an established PL side, say wolves, £25 is probably worth the risk