Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, DT said:

Ha. 
🚨 Brighton have held talks with Celtic over Southampton target Matt O’Riley and could offer Facundo Buonanotte on loan as part of a deal #saintsfc @GraemeBailey

Fake news apparently 

• Like 1

Agree on Fraser.

Very thankful for his loan contributions - and he proved a great team player, contrary to the expectations of many. 

From his side, I hope we provided a good platform to show he deserves another crack at it.

Just not with us. Not in the Prem.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Alcaraz had a brief purple patch when he joined up and has done very little since. He’s the new Boufal, people talk about what a player he’d be if he could play his top 5% games all the time.

Like most fan favourites at southampton he is different from the norm and gives the fans something to believe in. However he needs minutes to get going I'm sure fans would have said the same about Matt le tiss in the early days if this level of social media were available. I see alot of potential but he needs a chance. I'm a huge fan and he's most kids favourite player. I'm not sure the club see beyond the potential value right now 

• Like 4

The problem with Alcaraz is he's the sort of player you'd give extended game time to wheb you're most able and can afford to give time to someone rather inconsistent. He has potential to be brilliant but I doubt he will get the time here. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ant said:

Agree on Fraser.

Very thankful for his loan contributions - and he proved a great team player, contrary to the expectations of many. 

From his side, I hope we provided a good platform to show he deserves another crack at it.

Just not with us. Not in the Prem.

I wonder how we base this. Newcastle haven't been out of the prem ever. It's just their squad is immense. Surely we have learnt from the last relegation that we need experience. He was great in the final bought into the club and I feel could suprise people and unlike Lallana/stewart is actually fit enough to play football. I'd welcome him tomorrow. If chelsea can have 200 in squad we can sure fit one more

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Dusic said:

What do people think about Ryan Fraser?

Seemingly Newcastle willing to let him go for free but Fraser wants his contract paying up which they havent agreed to.

Feels like he would be a good squad player and handy he can do a job as a wing back if needed but on the other hand he wouldnt really improve the starting XI to the extent needed.

Sure he will end up here on a free after we have played Newcastle.

Would take him back in a heartbeat. Works hard, good attitude, still fast. Good cross. 

Dunno why people are being overly harsh on him, he had a great season and is easily good enough for a PL squad. Will always look lively off the bench. Signing him on a free is a no brainer for me. 

• Like 20

🚨 Breaking News: Southampton are closing in on signing of FC Seoul striker Foo-Kin Nowan. Initial fee around £5m. 19 year old talent flying over for medical tomorrow. #saintsfc @Fabrizioromano

• Haha 19
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

🚨 Breaking News: Southampton are closing in on signing of FC Seoul striker Foo-Kin Nowan. Initial fee around £5m. 19 year old talent flying over for medical tomorrow. #saintsfc @Fabrizioromano

Top player

• Confused 2

I for one hope Ryan Fraser signs permanently 😊 He was a key player for us last season, chipped in with numerous goals and assists. He is fast, has a great workrate and got a very good cross on him too.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

Like most fan favourites at southampton he is different from the norm and gives the fans something to believe in. However he needs minutes to get going I'm sure fans would have said the same about Matt le tiss in the early days if this level of social media were available. I see alot of potential but he needs a chance. I'm a huge fan and he's most kids favourite player. I'm not sure the club see beyond the potential value right now 

I'm not going to argue with you for a second due to the 6ft 8" thing, but I also thought he was one of the very few that showed anything at all in the season we went down. He was sporadic with his ball possession, but so have many players been at his age. Some get there, some don't. He's one of them, where do you say stop. Other than that, great attitude, needs consistency, needs to fix his retainment of possession, one of those guys you really want to succeed because of his attitude.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Insane signing! By signing a player with the ceiling and ability of Foo-kin Nowan, we're really showing everyone how our season is going to end up. Well done SR!

5 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Insane signing! By signing a player with the ceiling and ability of Foo-kin Nowan, we're really showing everyone how our season is going to end up. Well done SR!

Wasn't funny 8 years ago.

• Like 7

On Alcaraz, we looked to him to be a pacey, central player when Selles was looking to counter attack. Elsewhere, he was direct and in a team starved of creativity, sometimes that was as good as it got. Under Martin, he needed to have a much more rounded set of skills. Which he didn't have.  That directness would cause problems. So,a bit of frustration all round. He wasn't as versatile as Stu, Aribo or Will. I like him, and hope he comes good here. But if his skillset is better suited elsewhere, it might be better for all of we get a sale.

On Fraser, he made a big impact when he joined. That faded a bit, but still an important player for us across the season. If we get a decent deal, he'd be a solid addition to the squad. More do, if he could also fill that wing back position a bit too.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I for one hope Ryan Fraser signs permanently 😊 He was a key player for us last season, chipped in with numerous goals and assists. He is fast, has a great workrate and got a very good cross on him too.

And I also think he would be a key player for us in the premier league, especially if with play with two wing backs. Newcastle didn't play him in that role (nor did we in his first few games), and he showed how good he is in those last couple of games of the season. He's more than a squad player, depending on our formation, he could be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Better him than signing Russian player Waystuv Spayz.

Edited by SNSUN

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Heard same rumour, plus we've put a cheeky bid in for a promising Greek goalkeeper, Ulysses Cant...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Lol what a load of bullshit regarding Alcaraz: fans like him cos he runs around a lot ? Adam makes him sound like elyounoussi or something 

I like him because a creative and goal scoring am with super high potential he’s already been called up for Argentina and had juventus in for him you don’t see juve after  will smallbone . Maybe he doesn’t fit into martins groovy gang but he was absolutely one of our best players in the prem last time and people seem quick to forget that 

Same goes for ABK in a way too don’t think anyone on here would have preferred stephens or bednarek to him at the start of our last prem season .. he was so good he got instantly called up for Germany and was nearly on a par with lavia at the first half of that season 

It doesn't matter what we think of ABK. Sounds like Martin and the players think he's a bit of a cock, and for that reason alone, he has to go. 

As for Alcaraz, I agree with Blackmore. He's decent running with the ball, busy with his running off the ball, pretty poor with the ball, and lacking in discipline.

In a possession based team, that's no good, so he may as well go. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Heard same rumour, plus we've put a cheeky bid in for a promising Greek goalkeeper, Ulysses Cant...

We’ve already got him but he uses an alias !!

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, egg said:

It doesn't matter what we think of ABK. Sounds like Martin and the players think he's a bit of a cock, and for that reason alone, he has to go. 

As for Alcaraz, I agree with Blackmore. He's decent running with the ball, busy with his running off the ball, pretty poor with the ball, and lacking in discipline.

As a possession based team, what do we do against the really good possession based teams when we don’t have the ball? Eg half the prem teams…

• Like 1

SSN

Genoa have expressed their interest in Aberdeen striker Bojan Miovski.

The Serie A club have not made a bid at this stage, but are expected to make an approach.

Sky Sports News revealed last week that Aberdeen rejected a £3m offer from Espanyol for the North Macedonia international.

The LaLiga side are yet to come back in with an improved offer.

Southampton have also been credited with interest for Miovski, 25, but Sky Sports News understands are not currently pursuing a move for him.

2 minutes ago, vectraman said:

As a possession based team, what do we do against the really good possession based teams when we don’t have the ball? Eg half the prem teams…

What's that got to do with Alcaraz not being good enough with the ball when he has it?! 

I think the idea that we're going to be a possession-based team in the PL is absurd. In terms of having the right personnel to dominate possession we're second last behind only Ipswich. Good intentions will wilt pretty quickly when we can't get hold of the ball (or keep it when we do) because the opposition are both technically and physically superior.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, egg said:

Was very excited by his signing. Have felt south America, and especially Argentina, was the ideal place for us to find talent. From memory though, his first touch and decision-making (passing choices) were just not up to scratch in the Prem. The goals he scored tended to gloss over this. He caught the eye, but equally he was pretty poor in many games.

In the championship, with time to settle, he just did not improve enough in those two facets of the game and I fully understood RMs decision to eventually drop him and then let him go out on loan.

He has a long contract, so we either need to see improvement in the next half season or we will look to loan him again. If we loan him out, we need him playing a lot otherwise we are never going to get a serious bid for him.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, vectraman said:

Especially without Elyanoussi this time who was world class when he didn’t have the ball

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

I think the idea that we're going to be a possession-based team in the PL is absurd. In terms of having the right personnel to dominate possession we're second last behind only Ipswich. Good intentions will wilt pretty quickly when we can't get hold of the ball (or keep it when we do) because the opposition are both technically and physically superior.

Fair point, but when we do get the ball the last thing you want is a midfielder getting bing it back to them. That is what Charley has done too much of since he got here.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Besides, it won't be as effective without Baz in goal.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

I wonder how we base this. Newcastle haven't been out of the prem ever. It's just their squad is immense. Surely we have learnt from the last relegation that we need experience. He was great in the final bought into the club and I feel could suprise people and unlike Lallana/stewart is actually fit enough to play football. I'd welcome him tomorrow. If chelsea can have 200 in squad we can sure fit one more

Newcastle Promoted with Brighton about 5 years ago…..

Transfer silly season is well and truly on us. We’re linked with any attacking forward or GK that’s touted as sub €25m. It’s a lottery predicting who we’ll end up with, but I’ve a feeling it’ll be players that are left-field - largely unknowns and probably not predicted by the CoT.

4 hours ago, Dusic said:

What do people think about Ryan Fraser?

Seemingly Newcastle willing to let him go for free but Fraser wants his contract paying up which they havent agreed to.

Feels like he would be a good squad player and handy he can do a job as a wing back if needed but on the other hand he wouldnt really improve the starting XI to the extent needed.

Sure he will end up here on a free after we have played Newcastle.

I’m all for signing Fraser tbh : I think this position is one we don’t really need to spend much money on  get Fraser on the cheap instead of wasting tons of budget on the likes of carvalho or Clarke.

good thing with Fraser is for a winger he has decent end product .. very good finisher..he also sounded like he really wants to be here which is nice.. 

imo the likes of carvalho or Clarke are no guarantee of doing a better job so might as welll take him and spend the money where it needs spending on a striker and gk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, verlaine1979 said:

Nobody has suggested that we'll dominate possession in the PL. Of course we won't, but when we are on the ball, RM will have us playing keep ball. We ain't suddenly going to start playing like a 1980's Wimbledon team. 

When you'll have less of the ball, you need players who'll help you keep it. Alcaraz isn't that player. 

• Like 1

Newcastle just seem set on being dickish about Ryan Fraser.

I’ll take him but I’m not in a rush.

Hes the kind of player who’ll be released on deadline day when Newcastle have failed to sell him; then we can snap him up for free.

They’ll want his salary off the wage bill.

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Alcaraz had a brief purple patch when he joined up and has done very little since. He’s the new Boufal, people talk about what a player he’d be if he could play his top 5% games all the time.

3 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

On Alcaraz, we looked to him to be a pacey, central player when Selles was looking to counter attack. Elsewhere, he was direct and in a team starved of creativity, sometimes that was as good as it got. Under Martin, he needed to have a much more rounded set of skills. Which he didn't have.  That directness would cause problems. So,a bit of frustration all round. He wasn't as versatile as Stu, Aribo or Will. I like him, and hope he comes good here. But if his skillset is better suited elsewhere, it might be better for all of we get a sale.

On Fraser, he made a big impact when he joined. That faded a bit, but still an important player for us across the season. If we get a decent deal, he'd be a solid addition to the squad. More do, if he could also fill that wing back position a bit too.

Not sure about purple patch. In the premiership he was definitely one of our best players since we signed him until the end of the season and this at the higher level.

I guess sometimes. It’s horses for courses.. whilst Martin certainly turned things round for the likes of arma and arribo Alcaraz kinda went the other way . Personally I think he stilll did a decent job for us, for russ I think it came down to preference for stuey who was also playing wel.

but still I think Alcaraz did enough in his prem half season to show potential and he’s still only a kid who’s still struggling with language etc .. seems a shame to give up on him 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Newcastle just seem set on being dickish about Ryan Fraser.

I’ll take him but I’m not in a rush.

Hes the kind of player who’ll be released on deadline day when Newcastle have failed to sell him; then we can snap him up for free.

They’ll want his salary off the wage bill.

He wants his contract paid up and it’s fair enough. We slag players off for not honouring their contracts but clubs should too it’s not all one way. However they are within their rights to do what others demand we do to players and “let them rot in the reserves” so part if me sees it from newscastles point of view too 

as for Fraser himself he’s a competent enough player, good experience, seems a good guy so probably a good guy to have around in the role like he had last season but not if he wants the sort of money he’s meant to be on at Newcastle 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, egg said:

Nobody has suggested that we'll dominate possession in the PL. Of course we won't, but when we are on the ball, RM will have us playing keep ball. We ain't suddenly going to start playing like a 1980's Wimbledon team. 

When you'll have less of the ball, you need players who'll help you keep it. Alcaraz isn't that player. 

Right. And it's my belief that trying to play keep ball is going to be suicidal. Better to have players who can carry the ball forward on th break, as that's likely to be all th possession we get.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, vectraman said:

They discussed this on talk sprt last week and I think they said the weekend team get beaten bad they also said it is a boring way to play football 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Right. And it's my belief that trying to play keep ball is going to be suicidal. Better to have players who can carry the ball forward on th break, as that's likely to be all th possession we get.

This is completely counter to his whole playing philosophy.

We played a half committed counter attacking style when we were last in the league and it didn’t exactly work out for us. 

The man knows his systems and needs players to fit them. Charlie has some nice attributes but he doesn’t fit the way we play. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

The Toon have been relegated lat least once, possibly twice from the PL actually 

3 hours ago, BILLY said:

The Toon have been relegated lat least once, possibly twice from the PL actually 

Newcastle were in Div 1 in 1992-1993, and in the Championship in 2009-2010, and 2016-2017. So, three seasons outside the Premier League, and twice relegated.

Edited by Hamilton Saint
clarification
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Genuine question - fair enough this is your belief, but we also know there is absolutely no chance Rusty is going to change his play style. The style also got us promoted (with a few notable bumps along the way of course). Does your opinion mean you think the club should have ditched or should ditch the manager? Are you in the old language "Russell out"? Just curious as it feels to me like he is the least divisive manager we have had in a while but interested to hear thoughts.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, grezz said:

I'm not going to argue with you for a second due to the 6ft 8" thing, but I also thought he was one of the very few that showed anything at all in the season we went down. He was sporadic with his ball possession, but so have many players been at his age. Some get there, some don't. He's one of them, where do you say stop. Other than that, great attitude, needs consistency, needs to fix his retainment of possession, one of those guys you really want to succeed because of his attitude.

The lad is 21 years old. As a fanbase we need to stop writing these 20-22 year olds off, we can't afford to be buying top players who are the finished article so we need to be giving a few years to the younger ones to develop. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, leeham_69 said:

Genuine question - fair enough this is your belief, but we also know there is absolutely no chance Rusty is going to change his play style. The style also got us promoted (with a few notable bumps along the way of course). Does your opinion mean you think the club should have ditched or should ditch the manager? Are you in the old language "Russell out"? Just curious as it feels to me like he is the least divisive manager we have had in a while but interested to hear thoughts.

I think we'll need to be more pragmatic, that's all. Burnley went up with the highest average possession ever recorded in the Championship. Surprise surprise, they were not able to impose their philosophy on a much stronger PL and got dicked most weeks. I'd prefer we have a plan to avoid that, rather than stick with a playing philosophy we lack the players to implement successfully.

• Like 14

6 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

It's RM's beliefs that matter, and he is not going to abandon his beliefs and style.  He only seems to know one way, and we'll try to keep the ball as much as we can regardless of who we play. Liverpool in the cup last year was a case in point.

For what it's worth, I agree that players who can break with the ball would really help at this level, but those players also need to be useful on the ball. Wasteful players just won't fit, and if RM didn't fancy Alcaraz in the championship, he ain't going to fancy him in the PL.

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

The lad is 21 years old. As a fanbase we need to stop writing these 20-22 year olds off, we can't afford to be buying top players who are the finished article so we need to be giving a few years to the younger ones to develop. 

I don't want to give Mara a few years to develop. 

• Haha 1