Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

33 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Better than any fit ones we have and from games I have seen can actually make saves too. 66 Prem games too and what I find funny is Ramsdale isn’t particularly good with ball at feet yet fan base wetting themselves over him.

I’ve got a mate with an Arsenal season ticket who says that Ramsdale is excellent with his feet - that’s not why he got dropped.

The main reason Arteta doesn’t fancy him is that he is slightly more error-prone than Raya now that Raya has settled down, but more specifically it’s because Ramsdale has admitted to having concentration issues when he had to go for long spells with nothing to do - which to be fair I don’t think would be quite so much of an issue if he was playing for us! 

He’d be an enormous upgrade for us and would fit perfectly with the way RM likes to play. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Getting the JPT band back together with him and Lallana, anyone got contact details for a Mr Waigo? Is Paul Wotton the exact sort of cover we need for Downes (tough tackling combative midfielder with experience)

Yeah. Why not go further back than that and have a look at the 2003 FA cup squad?  For a good right winger Fabrice Fernandes  can't be much more than in his late 40s 😎

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Better than any fit ones we have and from games I have seen can actually make saves too. 66 Prem games too and what I find funny is Ramsdale isn’t particularly good with ball at feet yet fan base wetting themselves over him.

Think to be honest it's more that the fanbase are shitting themselves at the prospect of yet another season without a viable first-choice goalkeeper.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I’ve got a mate with an Arsenal season ticket who says that Ramsdale is excellent with his feet - that’s not why he got dropped.

The main reason Arteta doesn’t fancy him is that he is slightly more error-prone than Raya now that Raya has settled down, but more specifically it’s because Ramsdale has admitted to having concentration issues when he had to go for long spells with nothing to do - which to be fair I don’t think would be quite so much of an issue if he was playing for us! 

He’d be an enormous upgrade for us and would fit perfectly with the way RM likes to play. 

Would be one of our best signings in recent history if we can pull it off. He’s an absolutely brilliant keeper. Would love it to happen. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Would be one of our best signings in recent history if we can pull it off. He’s an absolutely brilliant keeper. Would love it to happen. 

Maybe we should have a quad upgrade, O'Riley and Carvalho plus these two:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Onuachu is not in any way suited to Martin's style of play. Plan B for Martin is not a change in philosophy from possession to playing to a target man, it is tweaks to the formation or fresh legs with players who also fit the style.

I wouldn't be surprised if RM will be willing to adhust his philosophy even if he has indicated that he won't;
now that he will manage at the top level.

4 minutes ago, derry said:

Miovski tore the England defence a new one when he played for Macedonia against them. He looked a decent centre forward. 

I saw him at Ibrox against Rangers last season and he looked a level above. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

No thanks. 

Veliz was pretty good for Tottenham before he got a bad injury, the injury would be a concern but if we can get both him and Buonanotte on loan then its a maybe from me. I know there's a limit on loans from Premier League teams but not sure what the limit is

Edited by V.Johnathan.Wilson
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ally_uk said:

I say push the boat out 

Downes Cover 

Another experienced CB on loan 

O'Reily and Carvalho 

Jack Clarke 

Miovski

GK on loan 

Transfer window completed it mate! 

And a 10 point penalty for failing PSR. 

1 hour ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Chelsea literally think they own peoples lives. Dunno how they get away with getting 7 year contracts pulled through and 50 players out on loan season after season

Don't see the players complaining about being paid ludicrous sums for heading on a decade or being paid ludicrous sums while being loaned to other clubs. The only complaints come from the rest of the Prem, who can't afford to do the same.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

Don't see the players complaining about being paid ludicrous sums for heading on a decade or being paid ludicrous sums while being loaned to other clubs. The only complaints come from the rest of the Prem, who can't afford to do the same.

I think Saints would never do the same if in the same financial league as Chelsea.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Appy said:

Think it’s a delayed post from 2011

Ha. 
🚨 Brighton have held talks with Celtic over Southampton target Matt O’Riley and could offer Facundo Buonanotte on loan as part of a deal #saintsfc @GraemeBailey

39 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

What have they done?

Run their club properly, with full focus on scouting, the first team and academy without any gimmicks. It’s what Saints used to do 2009-16 before Les Reed et al and then Semmens, onto Rasmus, thought they were cleverer than everyone else. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 6

43 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

What have they done?

Nothing. DT just takes every rumour as fact.

A club has an interest in a certain player like we do, and probably about another hundred clubs that could afford him. Nothing more than that. 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

As long as we have a stronger squad come the end of the window I couldn’t care less, the list of players we’ve been “linked with” in the last two months is probably fifty plus right now.

I’m still waiting for Nicky Maynard to sign from Bristol City, got to be soon right?

10 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Run their club properly, with full focus on scouting, the first team and academy without any gimmicks. It’s what Saints used to do 2009-16 before Les Reed et al and then Semmens, onto Rasmus, thought they were cleverer than everyone else. 

Yes , I guess especially Rasmus A. has disappointed since his Brentford days. I hope he can come back and show some class. If he is involved in signings at all these days. 

Edited by Kristian Loekkegaard
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Nothing. DT just takes every rumour as fact.

A club has an interest in a certain player like we do, and probably about another hundred clubs that could afford him. Nothing more than that. 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Oh look at you. Where did I say it was a fact? Almost all your posts just say that something on twitter or in a newspaper or on the actual news isn’t fact because you weren’t told it and it wasn’t about JWP not going anywhere-definitely-not-for sure-ever because you know some player’s uncle’s dog and  it is all silly rumours in the press blah blah blah

Journalists do get things right occasionally you know, and I’m allowed to say Bloody Brighton at seeing something that ‘looks’ on the face of it like we won’t get a good player. If that’s ok with you. Or do we have to listen to the ‘rumours are silly’ and you know better because of your connections (see above, and even on Che not leaving either) every time there is one?

Edited by DT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Summary of the Blackmore chat - direct quoting on Q&A (as close to verbatim as possible) unless it's a bullet point:

- ABK wasn't taken to Spain, understood to be a bad influence behind the scenes

- Considered to be a negative character, not appreciated by current dressing room / coaching staff for his attitude

- Russell Martin has been very clear that he won't accept a negative attitude from anyone

- Saints pushed hard for Carvalho in January

- Player and manager spoke, both really liked each other

- There were conditions attached to the deal such as a big agent fee (which Saints didn't agree with for a loan)

- Another condition from LFC was a number of guaranteed starts, Saints wouldn't agree but Hull did

- The player and Russell still appreciate each other and would still like to work together

- The leak has come from the Liverpool end, hence Ornstein 

- They don't want to loan, they want to sell but are letting their fanbase know it's a 'reluctant sale' and seeing if other clubs get involved

- I think Saints want Matt O'Riley and Fabio Carvalho, I don't believe it is one or the other

- O'Riley is happy to come, they've already had that conversation and both parties know the deal

- Celtic are being slow and Saints are getting agitated because they are worried it will run too late in August

- O'Riley doesn't have an agent he is only represented by his parents and they have a relationship with RM

- Is the Brighton leak an effort from Celtic to get Saints to move to Celtic's negotiation point? Let's see

Specific Qs...

Onuachu?

- Trabzonspor been offering 3m, 4m, 5m

- Saints won't do business at silly prices and are irritated by Trabzonspor's approach

- They are happy to hold onto him, think that he might get offers from other leagues at the end of the window, maybe if a Dutch club comes into some money

GK?

Yes, I think they need a goalkeeper. I think they want to get Lis out on loan again or at best, as the third choice. I had a look at the Premier League squads and there's some good experience on benches. I'm not anti McCarthy, I think he's been a good servant to the club but I think they need to get someone with more Premier League authority.

Extra comment - not verbatim: Ramsdale is on either side of 100k by a slim margin, would look at more experienced people on benches to look for better value - example given: Martin Dubravka

Alcaraz's future?

I think he should go. I know some fans like him because he runs around a lot, he's busy, he's all-action, he's hot-headed. I've got no problem with him because I think he is a good lad but I don't think he has got the tactical understanding for how the team plays. There's a reason he didn't start a lot last season. I think he needs to move on because he can't do the job he is being asked to do. I think you have to sell him to get some money in to go out and acquire some more players.

KWP?

I'd like him to stay, we'd all like him to stay. He was fantastic in agreeing to stay and be professional last summer to give them one go to get straight back into the Premier League - and it worked. I'm at the stage now where I think 'thank you very much Kyle' and if you want to go and find somewhere else to play that's fine, but we just need to get the right money for you before your contract expires. My feeling is that he will need to go for himself and his own career, and it won't do the club any harm to get some money in rather than him going for nothing. Saints have actually got too many full-backs now but I do accept that Kyle Walker-Peters was a clear cut above the rest last season.

Lots to still be done?

Yes, I think there is a lot to be done. And I don't know if I believe it will all go to the wire. I know for a fact they want to get a couple of things done in the next week. But moving a few on would help Saints because it will give them more strength and money, some salaries off the wage bill. Saints/Solak is not going to spend endlessly and end up with a huge squad again. If you could get Onuachu, Bella-Kotchap and Alcaraz out in the next two weeks then you can really attack the end of the transfer window a lot better. I think they can get O'Riley done. Is the Brighton leak an effort to get Saints to move to Celtic's negotiation point? Let's see. With Carvalho, the player is clear that he would like to play for Russell Martin and come and fill that role in the team. Let's see.

Lol what a load of bullshit regarding Alcaraz: fans like him cos he runs around a lot ? Adam makes him sound like elyounoussi or something 

I like him because a creative and goal scoring am with super high potential he’s already been called up for Argentina and had juventus in for him you don’t see juve after  will smallbone . Maybe he doesn’t fit into martins groovy gang but he was absolutely one of our best players in the prem last time and people seem quick to forget that 

Same goes for ABK in a way too don’t think anyone on here would have preferred stephens or bednarek to him at the start of our last prem season .. he was so good he got instantly called up for Germany and was nearly on a par with lavia at the first half of that season 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Lol what a load of bullshit regarding Alcaraz: fans like him cos he runs around a lot ? Adam makes him sound like elyounoussi or something 

I like him because a creative and goal scoring am with super high potential he’s already been called up for Argentina and had juventus in for him you don’t see juve will smallbone . Maybe he doesn’t fit into martins groovy gang but he was absolutely one of our best players in the prem last time and people seem quick to forget that 

He also can’t pass a ball 5 yards.

41 minutes ago, DT said:

Ha. 
🚨 Brighton have held talks with Celtic over Southampton target Matt O’Riley and could offer Facundo Buonanotte on loan as part of a deal #saintsfc @GraemeBailey

Feels like he is putting two and two together here. I don't believe a word Bailey says, lazy journalism imo

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I like him because a creative and goal scoring am with super high potential he’s already been called up for Argentina and had juventus in for him you don’t see juve after  will smallbone . Maybe he doesn’t fit into martins groovy gang but he was absolutely one of our best players in the prem last time and people seem quick to forget that 

Same goes for ABK in a way too don’t think anyone on here would have preferred stephens or bednarek to him at the start of our last prem season .. he was so good he got instantly called up for Germany and was nearly on a par with lavia at the first half of that season 

Alcaraz had a brief purple patch when he joined up and has done very little since. He’s the new Boufal, people talk about what a player he’d be if he could play his top 5% games all the time.

• Like 4

What do people think about Ryan Fraser?

Seemingly Newcastle willing to let him go for free but Fraser wants his contract paying up which they havent agreed to.

Feels like he would be a good squad player and handy he can do a job as a wing back if needed but on the other hand he wouldnt really improve the starting XI to the extent needed.

Sure he will end up here on a free after we have played Newcastle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Seemingly Newcastle willing to let him go for free but Fraser wants his contract paying up which they havent agreed to.

Feels like he would be a good squad player and handy he can do a job as a wing back if needed but on the other hand he wouldnt really improve the starting XI to the extent needed.

Sure he will end up here on a free after we have played Newcastle.

He's not important to us and in a year he will be among the dead wood we cant get rid of.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Decent in the Championship for us but the harsh reality I feel is that he’s not good enough for us in the Premier League, certainly as a starting player.  He actually only started 13 league games for us last term, 26 on as sub.

We’ve already got Edozie, Sulemana and Sam Amo, plus Armstrong was better off the right than up front and Chilean Ben plays up front / off the left.

In short, he did a good job for us last season but we need better if we’re to stay up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DT said:

Oh look at you. Where did I say it was a fact? Almost all your posts just say that something on twitter or in a newspaper or on the actual news isn’t fact because you weren’t told it and it wasn’t about JWP not going anywhere-definitely-not-for sure-ever because you know some player’s uncle’s dog and  it is all silly rumours in the press blah blah blah

Journalists do get things right occasionally you know, and I’m allowed to say Bloody Brighton at seeing something that ‘looks’ on the face of it like we won’t get a good player. If that’s ok with you. Or do we have to listen to the ‘rumours are silly’ and you know better because of your connections (see above, and even on Che not leaving either) every time there is one?

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by America's Got Talent

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Decent in the Championship for us but the harsh reality I feel is that he’s not good enough for us in the Premier League, certainly as a starting player.  He actually only started 13 league games for us last term, 26 on as sub.

We’ve already got Edozie, Sulemana and Sam Amo, plus Armstrong was better off the right than up front and Chilean Ben plays up front / off the left.

In short, he did a good job for us last season but we need better if we’re to stay up.

Yeah, agree with this. Really liked him and played a major part in us going up, but not sure he will be a difference maker this year.