Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

9 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

Surely not 😂

Screenshot_20240806-103144.png

I would call that b/s 42.9m for a player that won’t start and posted just for clicks.

This was posted I saw:

🚨 Two unnamed Premier League clubs have enquired about the situation of Southampton attacker Charly Alcaraz (21) #saintsfc @caughtoffside

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

Not sure this has been already posted, but Chelsea have around 8 "first team" goal keepers. They have just signed Jorgensen to apparently challenge Sanchez for the No 1 spot....that being the case, then maybe we should be trying to get Petrovic. He played quite a few games for Chelsea last year and didnt look to shabby. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Marsdinho said:

Not sure this has been already posted, but Chelsea have around 8 "first team" goal keepers. They have just signed Jorgensen to apparently challenge Sanchez for the No 1 spot....that being the case, then maybe we should be trying to get Petrovic. He played quite a few games for Chelsea last year and didnt look to shabby. 

I'm not familiar with his work, but I like your thinking.

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

In terms of a striker, I think we are planning to play Armstrong up top. We all know he can't play there at Premier League level, so if that is the plan, it's not going to work. 

Would be bonkers to even contemplate this.

3 hours ago, ally_uk said:

I say push the boat out 

Downes Cover 

Another experienced CB on loan 

O'Reily and Carvalho 

Jack Clarke 

Miovski

GK on loan 

Transfer window completed it mate! 

Would the points we gain by doing this be outweighed by the points we would be deducted for breaching FFP rules?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

@Give it to Ron I share your regret that we do not have anyone in the box to cross it to. And that the concept of doing so as a key attacking feature has almost been eradicated from Saints game. 

BUT- it’s obvious from day one of RM football that getting a cross into the box for the CF to put away is not the priority.

Saints turn down countless opportunities to “ cross the ball” into the penalty area every match in favour of playing through and hoping to get pull backs to Will and AA. 

Is it chicken and egg? Would they cross it if they knew we had a conventional CF like your name sake or date I say it Tall Paul? Or do they not cross it because they know there’s usually nobody there or if so they are not brilliant at that kind of opportunity?
Or, more likely, they are under strict instructions to NOT play that way. 

I think it’s the latter so I do not see us signing a “conventional” CF any time soon. Would be just a waste of space - like TP unfortunately - the way we currently play. 

IF we do sign another attacker I’d expect it to be a mf attacker or a wing based attacker - or both. 

Even Man City regularly throw crosses into the box with Haaland up front.  I'm not suggesting Tall Pall is as good but at least he's an option we have and has scored plenty of goals albeit at lower levels.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

Lack of willingness to pay Money in the Prem...!   that's us and about 14 other clubs who work on limited budgets whilst seeing the "big money teams "

pay out the equivalent of our entire transfer budget...on just one player, and even if we sign players at " a reasonable fee " they don't play for nothing 

every 20K / week salary is  over one million annually, and many of these fellows will spend a lot of time on the bench. 

RM wants O'Riley but that sort of transfer fee is just " lunch money " to clubs like Chelsea who regularly spend twice that without blinking. (e.g. Lavia)

Saints have spent around 60 million (so far) and brought in a dozen players.. that's pretty good economy in anyone's books.

Yeah, 14 other clubs not minted but we are bottom of the nett spend league over the last 10 years and that is the problem.

Can see Tall Paul being here for the season, although game time will be little to non-existent I expect. There’s only one club interested in taking him and they want to pay peanuts. Maybe he’ll be the one that ‘feels like a new signing’? 😳

31 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I would call that b/s 42.9m for a player that won’t start and posted just for clicks.

This was posted I saw:

🚨 Two unnamed Premier League clubs have enquired about the situation of Southampton attacker Charly Alcaraz (21) #saintsfc @caughtoffside

100% agree, it's insane to think he's worth 40 mil

5 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Can see Tall Paul being here for the season, although game time will be little to non-existent I expect. There’s only one club interested in taking him and they want to pay peanuts. Maybe he’ll be the one that ‘feels like a new signing’? 😳

Surely he has to be worth a run out in a friendly, unless he's thrown the toys out and is refusing to play. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Surely he has to be worth a run out in a friendly, unless he's thrown the toys out and is refusing to play. 

I would agree, however the signs are he wants a move and who could blame him - he’s been left out in the cold and loaned to the club who wants him.

Having said that, he’s been seen in training vids/pics I’ve seen.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

Even Man City regularly throw crosses into the box with Haaland up front.  I'm not suggesting Tall Pall is as good but at least he's an option we have and has scored plenty of goals albeit at lower levels.

Onuachu will go to Trabzonspor. Both parties know it, it's just a case of who blinks first. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Onuachu is not in any way suited to Martin's style of play. Plan B for Martin is not a change in philosophy from possession to playing to a target man, it is tweaks to the formation or fresh legs with players who also fit the style.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Marsdinho said:

Not a bad shout. I see he's valued at 20m Euros on Transfermarket website but Chelsea only paid 9m as recently as 10 months ago so not sure how he's over doubled in value especially if they're looking at other keepers.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Onuachu is not in any way suited to Martin's style of play. Plan B for Martin is not a change in philosophy from possession to playing to a target man, it is tweaks to the formation or fresh legs with players who also fit the style.

Yet under RM we constantly put crosses into the box even though the side has nobody up front who can head the ball - seems a little pointless.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

I really like Antonio 👍 although a little worrying he's 34 and has had some injury issues. He fits RM football much better than Ings, had a good season with us on loan from Reading back in 2010. Decent goal scoring record, good at pressing, physically strong, keeping the ball well and has great throw ins. I welcome a re-union. 

Getting the JPT band back together with him and Lallana, anyone got contact details for a Mr Waigo? Is Paul Wotton the exact sort of cover we need for Downes (tough tackling combative midfielder with experience)

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Let's not do that. We don't want an injury to a player that is almost certain to depart. The two clubs seem to be roughly about €2.5m apart right now. According to the Turkish press they have offered €5m+€2.5m and we want €10m.

5 minutes ago, saintant said:

Not a bad shout. I see he's valued at 20m Euros on Transfermarket website but Chelsea only paid 9m as recently as 10 months ago so not sure how he's over doubled in value especially if they're looking at other keepers.

I hope we don't have to buy out his seven year contract.

9 minutes ago, saintant said:

£12.5m with add-ons up to £14m according to the BBC, he is locked into a contact until 2030 with a club option of an additional year.

His value is irrelevant anyway as they'd likely only sanction a loan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

£12.5m with add-ons up to £14m according to the BBC, he is locked into a contact until 2030 with a club option of an additional year.

Unless they want to free up some wages permanently.

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

In this day and age, his contract is irrelevant; especially if the club who he is contracted to likes getting rid of dead wood so they can buy more toys!

5 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Perhaps that’s why he’s valued at €20m now?

Good business model that - give a player a long contract and he over doubles in valuation. We should try it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, saintant said:

Yeah, 14 other clubs not minted but we are bottom of the nett spend league over the last 10 years and that is the problem.

TBF isnt that largely because comparable clubs have all been relegated for some of that period? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, saintant said:

Good business model that - give a player a long contract and he over doubles in valuation. We should try it.

I think we probably have…many examples of long contract lengths at Saints over the years, particularly in the Les era. Problem comes when they’re actually dogs and the value goes down rather than up!

• Like 1

talkSPORT reporting that Sam Johnstone has decided he wants to leave Palace. He was their #1 under Hodgson but has been benched for Henderson since Glasner became manager - also reporting that Saints remain interested, having tried to buy him before he went to Palace

• Like 9

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

talkSPORT reporting that Sam Johnstone has decided he wants to leave Palace. He was their #1 under Hodgson but has been benched for Henderson since Glasner became manager - also reporting that Saints remain interested, having tried to buy him before he went to Palace

If Ramsdale is too pricy, we need to bite their hands off...

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, saintant said:

No point doing that as we can’t sell them on the cheap never mind doubling their value.

18 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

We are only interested in a loan though arent we given their ultimate faith that Bazunu will turn into a decent keeper at some point !

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

We are only interested in a loan though arent we given their ultimate faith that Bazunu will turn into a decent keeper at some point !

I think that might work for all parties (for now...) - Johnstone wants to get out and play, but he'll still pick up his Palace salary rather than a Saints/newly-promoted club salary. Saints pay a little more on the wages front for a solid GK with PL experience and England call-ups to his name, knowing they don't have to pay it for more than one season. Russell Martin gets another British player to add to the group, who is a good egg behind the scenes. I guess it would be contingent on Palace finding a backup they are comfortable with though. Do they have one?

And to your point, when we know if we are in the PL market next summer, please just let us permanently resolve the GK shambles of many years

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

I think that might work for all parties (for now...) - Johnstone wants to get out and play, but he'll still pick up his Palace salary rather than a Saints/newly-promoted club salary. Saints pay a little more on the wages front for a solid GK with PL experience and England call-ups to his name, knowing they don't have to pay it for more than one season. Russell Martin gets another British player to add to the group, who is a good egg behind the scenes. I guess it would be contingent on Palace finding a backup they are comfortable with though. Do they have one?

And to your point, when we know if we are in the PL market next summer, please just let us permanently resolve the GK shambles of many years

We already have a GK with England call ups TBF...  Seems to me we should be going all out to get Ramsdale if we can.  

2 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

We already have a GK with England call ups TBF...  Seems to me we should be going all out to get Ramsdale if we can.  

I would love him, but just don't see a world where Arsenal say he's available and he doesn't get a better offer/something that appeals to him more

We could wait all window trying to get Ramsdale and end up getting burnt, or just get a deal done for someone a bit below him but still a significant improvement on AMC

Edited by CSA96

3 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

That is my hope, but I just cannot see it happening.

Arsenal will want his full wages covered, reported to be £120k p/w plus a loan fee. I cannot see Sports Republic sanctioning a circa £10m outlay for a season long loan, but in my opinion in the grand scheme of things its a small drop in the ocean if it means PL survival.

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Depends if they get Weghorst in the meantime..

Have they even bid for him? All I've read is about personal terms, nothing related to negotiations with Burnley. 

They want Onuachu. An €8.5m deal will get it done.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Not a big fan myself. From what I saw he was a reasonable championship keeper, but no more. Maybe that's the best we can do, but I don't think he sorts out our keeping issue at this level. Some may disagree.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

The goalkeeper should’ve signed when we signed Bazunu. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

That is my hope, but I just cannot see it happening.

Arsenal will want his full wages covered, reported to be £120k p/w plus a loan fee. I cannot see Sports Republic sanctioning a circa £10m outlay for a season long loan, but in my opinion in the grand scheme of things its a small drop in the ocean if it means PL survival.

So £6m in wages, maybe another £5m loan fee?  Let's say having Ramsdale over McCarthy gets us an extra 5 points over the season, that could easily be the difference between safety and relegation.  So seems a good investment to me.  Risky, but worth the risk imo

The bigger issue as others have pointed out is that he may well have better offers....

29 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not a big fan myself. From what I saw he was a reasonable championship keeper, but no more. Maybe that's the best we can do, but I don't think he sorts out our keeping issue at this level. Some may disagree.

Out of interest what are you basing that on? The palace games I saw he looked decent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saintant said:

Yet under RM we constantly put crosses into the box even though the side has nobody up front who can head the ball - seems a little pointless.

Yes, especially if we have Armstrong,  Fraser and Carvalho on the pitch.  

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Good keeper.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Is he any good with the ball at his feet though? 

Better than any fit ones we have and from games I have seen can actually make saves too. 66 Prem games too and what I find funny is Ramsdale isn’t particularly good with ball at feet yet fan base wetting themselves over him.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Better than any fit ones we have and from games I have seen can actually make saves too. 66 Prem games too and what I find funny is Ramsdale isn’t particularly good with ball at feet yet fan base wetting themselves over him.

He is a "name".......

17 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I'd rather we have a keeper that can make saves over a keeper who can do a Cruyff turn

• Like 2
  • Haha 1