Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Summary of the Blackmore chat - direct quoting on Q&A (as close to verbatim as possible) unless it's a bullet point:

- ABK wasn't taken to Spain, understood to be a bad influence behind the scenes

- Considered to be a negative character, not appreciated by current dressing room / coaching staff for his attitude

- Russell Martin has been very clear that he won't accept a negative attitude from anyone

- Saints pushed hard for Carvalho in January

- Player and manager spoke, both really liked each other

- There were conditions attached to the deal such as a big agent fee (which Saints didn't agree with for a loan)

- Another condition from LFC was a number of guaranteed starts, Saints wouldn't agree but Hull did

- The player and Russell still appreciate each other and would still like to work together

- The leak has come from the Liverpool end, hence Ornstein 

- They don't want to loan, they want to sell but are letting their fanbase know it's a 'reluctant sale' and seeing if other clubs get involved

- I think Saints want Matt O'Riley and Fabio Carvalho, I don't believe it is one or the other

- O'Riley is happy to come, they've already had that conversation and both parties know the deal

- Celtic are being slow and Saints are getting agitated because they are worried it will run too late in August

- O'Riley doesn't have an agent he is only represented by his parents and they have a relationship with RM

- Is the Brighton leak an effort from Celtic to get Saints to move to Celtic's negotiation point? Let's see

Specific Qs...

Onuachu?

- Trabzonspor been offering 3m, 4m, 5m

- Saints won't do business at silly prices and are irritated by Trabzonspor's approach

- They are happy to hold onto him, think that he might get offers from other leagues at the end of the window, maybe if a Dutch club comes into some money

GK?

Yes, I think they need a goalkeeper. I think they want to get Lis out on loan again or at best, as the third choice. I had a look at the Premier League squads and there's some good experience on benches. I'm not anti McCarthy, I think he's been a good servant to the club but I think they need to get someone with more Premier League authority.

Extra comment - not verbatim: Ramsdale is on either side of 100k by a slim margin, would look at more experienced people on benches to look for better value - example given: Martin Dubravka

Alcaraz's future?

I think he should go. I know some fans like him because he runs around a lot, he's busy, he's all-action, he's hot-headed. I've got no problem with him because I think he is a good lad but I don't think he has got the tactical understanding for how the team plays. There's a reason he didn't start a lot last season. I think he needs to move on because he can't do the job he is being asked to do. I think you have to sell him to get some money in to go out and acquire some more players.

KWP?

I'd like him to stay, we'd all like him to stay. He was fantastic in agreeing to stay and be professional last summer to give them one go to get straight back into the Premier League - and it worked. I'm at the stage now where I think 'thank you very much Kyle' and if you want to go and find somewhere else to play that's fine, but we just need to get the right money for you before your contract expires. My feeling is that he will need to go for himself and his own career, and it won't do the club any harm to get some money in rather than him going for nothing. Saints have actually got too many full-backs now but I do accept that Kyle Walker-Peters was a clear cut above the rest last season.

Lots to still be done?

Yes, I think there is a lot to be done. And I don't know if I believe it will all go to the wire. I know for a fact they want to get a couple of things done in the next week. But moving a few on would help Saints because it will give them more strength and money, some salaries off the wage bill. Saints/Solak is not going to spend endlessly and end up with a huge squad again. If you could get Onuachu, Bella-Kotchap and Alcaraz out in the next two weeks then you can really attack the end of the transfer window a lot better. I think they can get O'Riley done. Is the Brighton leak an effort to get Saints to move to Celtic's negotiation point? Let's see. With Carvalho, the player is clear that he would like to play for Russell Martin and come and fill that role in the team. Let's see.

Many thanks for posting that. Obviously it's Blackmore not RMs words, but it clears a lot up. Great to hear actual reason why Carvalho didn't come here in January.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Was very interesting from Blackmore. 

If you read between the lines I think it's clear that Ramsdale is not coming as his wage is too high. He suggested Dubravka. 

Dubrovnik isn't much of a step up on McCarthy. Is there another option?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Not sure Dubravka would be much of an upgrade tbh. Several years ago yes, now not so much. Would be very underwhelming.

Agreed. In an otherwise positive update that was a disappointing bit. 
Ramsdale at 100k doesn’t seem too horrendous compared to the 100k we were paying for JWP.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Dubrovnik isn't much of a step up on McCarthy. Is there another option?

Speak for yourself. Much rather go on holiday to Dubrovnik 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

See where you're coming from, but people are talking about O'Riley as if he's the new Messi. Perhaps we can use that bid money to go towards a striker because you're right, and we all know, we need a striker who's going to knock in at least 10/15 goals this season.

BBD scored 6 in 14 for Sheffield Utd last year - a club in a similar situation to what people are expecting for Saints this season - which over a full season is ~16 goals.

Is he better playing off the left of a front three than playing centrally? Yes. Would he still score plenty of goals up front with Arma in a 3-5-2, with RWB Sugawara's great crosses from the right and either an attacking LWB doing the same on the left or, more likely, a defensive LWB sitting in beside Downes and two midfielders pushing up (probably Smallbone centrally and Aribo/Dibling/Alcaraz/whoever drifting to the left) to aid the attack on the left? Also yes.

If Ross Stewart ever comes right - having looked far too good for League 1 and even too good for the Championship in limited appearances - he could well score 10-15 goals himself in the middle of a front three.

• Haha 1

The day was looking pretty miserable and then Adam Blackmore came in to save the it, similar to when he said Gakpo had agreed personal terms a couple of years back... :(

Finally confirmed what we all know about ABK. He wasn't up for the fight last time and was part of that divided dressing room which played a huge part in sending us down as the players clearly weren't fighting for each other under Hasenhuttl, Jones or Selles. Please can somebody take him, he did at least seem to have some talent even if he is a dick.

A lot of players we sign do cite Martin and the football we play as a key reason they joined. Could just be nonsense to fill up interview time, but if his relationships with Carvalho and O'Riley get us them then I will struggle to criticise him in the future. Both would be big signings for us. Surely Leicester aren't going to get Carvalho, too much money and they may be starting on minus points. Plus Martin shits all over Cooper in the looks department. 

I'm not too sure on Dubravka, Newcastle fans don't like him a lot. He's probably better than McCarthy though. Interesting note the experience on benches. Before the window opened I was interested in Tom Heaton. He still looked good for Manchester United when he played a couple of games in 2022-23 and was taken to the Euros this summer, so clearly a good influence to have. Would have been a good mentor for Bazunu. But he's signed a new deal there. A few other bench goalkeepers: Obviously Ramsdale, Kepa, Kelleher, Steele (been linked), Johnstone, Fabianski and the legend that is Scott Carson, best job in football. Might also be worth keeping an eye on Neto's position depending on what Bournemouth do with their goalkeepers. We could pounce like they did with Boruc.

But, yeah, lets get O'Riley and Carvalho in! We missed something in our attack last season, whether it was a clinical edge or really putting teams to the sword despite the amount of possession we had and these two would be huge help in strengthening a weak area.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Summary of the Blackmore chat - direct quoting on Q&A (as close to verbatim as possible) unless it's a bullet point:

- Considered to be a negative character, not appreciated by current dressing room / coaching staff for his attitude

- Russell Martin has been very clear that he won't accept a negative attitude from anyone

- There were conditions attached to the deal such as a big agent fee (which Saints didn't agree with for a loan)

- Another condition from LFC was a number of guaranteed starts, Saints wouldn't agree but Hull did

- The player and Russell still appreciate each other and would still like to work together

- They don't want to loan, they want to sell but are letting their fanbase know it's a 'reluctant sale' and seeing if other clubs get involved

- I think Saints want Matt O'Riley and Fabio Carvalho, I don't believe it is one or the other

- O'Riley is happy to come, they've already had that conversation and both parties know the deal

- Celtic are being slow and Saints are getting agitated because they are worried it will run too late in August

- O'Riley doesn't have an agent he is only represented by his parents and they have a relationship with RM

- Is the Brighton leak an effort from Celtic to get Saints to move to Celtic's negotiation point? Let's see

Specific Qs...

Onuachu?

- Saints won't do business at silly prices and are irritated by Trabzonspor's approach

- They are happy to hold onto him, think that he might get offers from other leagues at the end of the window, maybe if a Dutch club comes into some money

GK?

Yes, I think they need a goalkeeper. I think they want to get Lis out on loan again or at best, as the third choice. I had a look at the Premier League squads and there's some good experience on benches. I'm not anti McCarthy, I think he's been a good servant to the club but I think they need to get someone with more Premier League authority.

Extra comment - not verbatim: Ramsdale is on either side of 100k by a slim margin, would look at more experienced people on benches to look for better value - example given: Martin Dubravka

Alcaraz's future?

I think he should go. I know some fans like him because he runs around a lot, he's busy, he's all-action, he's hot-headed. I've got no problem with him because I think he is a good lad but I don't think he has got the tactical understanding for how the team plays. There's a reason he didn't start a lot last season. I think he needs to move on because he can't do the job he is being asked to do. I think you have to sell him to get some money in to go out and acquire some more players.

KWP?

I'd like him to stay, we'd all like him to stay. He was fantastic in agreeing to stay and be professional last summer to give them one go to get straight back into the Premier League - and it worked. I'm at the stage now where I think 'thank you very much Kyle' and if you want to go and find somewhere else to play that's fine, but we just need to get the right money for you before your contract expires. My feeling is that he will need to go for himself and his own career, and it won't do the club any harm to get some money in rather than him going for nothing. Saints have actually got too many full-backs now but I do accept that Kyle Walker-Peters was a clear cut above the rest last season.

Lots to still be done?

Yes, I think there is a lot to be done. And I don't know if I believe it will all go to the wire. I know for a fact they want to get a couple of things done in the next week. But moving a few on would help Saints because it will give them more strength and money, some salaries off the wage bill. Saints/Solak is not going to spend endlessly and end up with a huge squad again. If you could get Onuachu, Bella-Kotchap and Alcaraz out in the next two weeks then you can really attack the end of the transfer window a lot better. I think they can get O'Riley done. Is the Brighton leak an effort to get Saints to move to Celtic's negotiation point? Let's see. With Carvalho, the player is clear that he would like to play for Russell Martin and come and fill that role in the team. Let's see.

Thankyou !!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

BBD scored 6 in 14 for Sheffield Utd last year - a club in a similar situation to what people are expecting for Saints this season - which over a full season is ~16 goals.

Is he better playing off the left of a front three than playing centrally? Yes. Would he still score plenty of goals up front with Arma in a 3-5-2, with RWB Sugawara's great crosses from the right and either an attacking LWB doing the same on the left or, more likely, a defensive LWB sitting in beside Downes and two midfielders pushing up (probably Smallbone centrally and Aribo/Dibling/Alcaraz/whoever drifting to the left) to aid the attack on the left? Also yes.

If Ross Stewart ever comes right - having looked far too good for League 1 and even too good for the Championship in limited appearances - he could well score 10-15 goals himself in the middle of a front three.

This has to be the biggest hopium I’ve ever seen 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Specific Qs...

Onuachu?

GK?

Alcaraz's future?

KWP?

Lots to still be done?

I only listened once so apologies if wrong, but I didn’t get the impression Adam was giving the FC loan as fact just as examples why things don’t always happen.

9 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Specific Qs...

Onuachu?

GK?

Alcaraz's future?

KWP?

Lots to still be done?

Really appreciate the update and definitely not trying to shoot the messenger but a couple of things really concern me about the above.

The comments on Ramsdale - if it’s simply a matter of £100k a week for a season, why on earth wouldn’t we? He’s a significant upgrade on a position of real and persistent weakness for us, especially given our preferred choice of the two sub-standard options we have is injured for a number of months. The phrase no-brainer was invented for this very type of scenario. Our gk blind-spot is unfathomable.

Secondly, amongst all of the comments there wasn’t a single thing said about signing a striker. After Che’s departure we are actually now weaker in this position than in either of the last four years, when we’ve been abject in this position. It got us relegated. It cost us automatic promotion (thank god for the play-offs). With our current options we’d do well to score as many as 20 next season. Given the combination of playing out from the back and sub-standard keepers we’ll need a lot more than 20 goals scored to stand the remotest  of chances. 
If it wasn’t for JWP’s free kicks when we were last in this league we’d have finished comfortably bottom. We don’t have him and we don’t have a striker, so we’re significantly worse. And it doesn’t even appear to be on our radar.

Like I say, grateful for the update and I do know we need upgrades everywhere, and a transfer window in our budget is tough. But I am worried by the gk and striker blind spots. Extremely costly errors here in recent seasons and doesn’t appear that we’ve learned anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

This has to be the biggest hopium I’ve ever seen 

Here's some more. Dreams are free.

BBD in the PL last year scored 6 in 14, the equivalent of 16 in 38.

Stewart in the Championship scored 5 in 7 (with three assists) before doing a hammy, then came back to score 5 in 6 before doing an achilles. 10 in 13, or the equivalent of 35 in a season. BBD scored 14 that season - 40% of the total Stewart was on pace for -  so if he's good enough to then be the equivalent of a 16 goal winger in the PL the next season then Stewart is a 40 goal striker in the PL.

"We have a 40 goal striker waiting in the wings" is more fun than "We have a National League keeper keeping the gloves warm for a Sunday league keeper and haven't had a decent striker since 1982". And just as true.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Really appreciate the update and definitely not trying to shoot the messenger but a couple of things really concern me about the above.

The comments on Ramsdale - if it’s simply a matter of £100k a week for a season, why on earth wouldn’t we? He’s a significant upgrade on a position of real and persistent weakness for us, especially given our preferred choice of the two sub-standard options we have is injured for a number of months. The phrase no-brainer was invented for this very type of scenario. Our gk blind-spot is unfathomable.

Secondly, amongst all of the comments there wasn’t a single thing said about signing a striker. After Che’s departure we are actually now weaker in this position than in either of the last four years, when we’ve been abject in this position. It got us relegated. It cost us automatic promotion (thank god for the play-offs). With our current options we’d do well to score as many as 20 next season. Given the combination of playing out from the back and sub-standard keepers we’ll need a lot more than 20 goals scored to stand the remotest  of chances. 
If it wasn’t for JWP’s free kicks when we were last in this league we’d have finished comfortably bottom. We don’t have him and we don’t have a striker, so we’re significantly worse. And it doesn’t even appear to be on our radar.

Like I say, grateful for the update and I do know we need upgrades everywhere, and a transfer window in our budget is tough. But I am worried by the gk and striker blind spots. Extremely costly errors here in recent seasons and doesn’t appear that we’ve learned anything.

In terms of a striker, I think we are planning to play Armstrong up top. We all know he can't play there at Premier League level, so if that is the plan, it's not going to work. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Che out, BBD in. Are we even looking for another striker?

You'd imagine we'd need to offload Onuachu (and maybe another one or even two) at a bare minimum before another comes in.

Simon Banza is not in Braga squad for their European games. However, look like Marseilles are interested.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chiknsmack said:

Here's some more. Dreams are free.

BBD in the PL last year scored 6 in 14, the equivalent of 16 in 38.

Stewart in the Championship scored 5 in 7 (with three assists) before doing a hammy, then came back to score 5 in 6 before doing an achilles. 10 in 13, or the equivalent of 35 in a season. BBD scored 14 that season - 40% of the total Stewart was on pace for -  so if he's good enough to then be the equivalent of a 16 goal winger in the PL the next season then Stewart is a 40 goal striker in the PL.

"We have a 40 goal striker waiting in the wings" is more fun than "We have a National League keeper keeping the gloves warm for a Sunday league keeper and haven't had a decent striker since 1982". And just as true.

A bit of positivity on here is nice. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Che out, BBD in. Are we even looking for another striker?

You'd imagine we'd need to offload Onuachu (and maybe another one or even two) at a bare minimum before another comes in.

Simon Banza is not in Braga squad for their European games. However, look like Marseilles are interested.

BBD is not a striker. If we are hoping either he, ArmA or Mara can somehow become a premier league striker, when they’re not even strikers, we’re in a bit of trouble.

9 hours ago, Ball boy said:

Agreed. In an otherwise positive update that was a disappointing bit. 
Ramsdale at 100k doesn’t seem too horrendous compared to the 100k we were paying for JWP.

If it means finishing 17th rather than 18th then it is money well spent.

• Like 3

Wan Bissaka deal to West Ham, apparently, held up because he wants a payoff from Man Utd. 

West Ham, apparently, can pay £18M for him - but not that plus £90k pw. So he may have to take a pay cut. 

BUT, if WB is an £18M £90k pw player whose main claim to fame as a retro styled FB was that he could tackle it shows why we are not entertaining lowball offers for KWP.

KWP is now a modern attacking FB and IMO would fit very well in many current mid level EPL teams. Most Especially those that dominate possession. Perhaps even as high as Man Utd.  

If he’s available for c £15M -£20m then I think he will go by end of window. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

We’re going to have to gamble with a striker, it’s a position everyone wants and there isn’t an easy solve with our budget - whoever we get will have huge risk. 
The GK position however should be much easier to solve, plenty of good gks out there who would love to be no 1 in a Prem club.

We probably need to get both right to stay up as they are critical positions. I can accept us getting the fwd position wrong, but if we don’t get a competent keeper at this level then there really is no excuse (and Dubrovnik is not the answer). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I see we’re briefing local journalists how nothing is our fault and people are lapping it up again. Easy work.

I like Adam Blackmore and he does have a good relationship with the club so gets fed info but in this segment there was quite a bit of joining some dots that were quite far apart.

On O'Riley specifically...his suggestion that Celtic should just hurry up and sell him to Saints is pretty bizarre. Its their perogative to do what they like with a player who they have signed to a long contract. With for absolute definite as a minimum Saints, Atalanta and Brighton in for him then the onus is surely on those clubs to push Celtic by making an acceptable offer rather than on Celtic to cave in with virtually a month left of the window?

In the end someone will make that offer and I am pretty doubtful that it will be us which is a shame as the RM relationship gives us a potentially significant edge.

All our deals so far have been easy ones aside from possibly Downes (and even then WHU were clearly open to sell to fund their spree). Everyone else it was either unwanted players, frees or players with a year left on contracts.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Matty's Caddy said:

With Stewart injured, tall Paul starts for me. 

How can he be any worse than Mara?

He is an option we don’t have for last 15 minutes of games and I think Arma would be good with him plus Suga would have someone to cross to.

So many times at Millwall on Saturday (I was there) Suga had to turn back as no options as Smallbone had come inside.

It was great having Suga as free option but with no forward to hit we go nowhere but backwards.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I like Adam Blackmore and he does have a good relationship with the club so gets fed info but in this segment there was quite a bit of joiming some dots that were quite far apart.

On O'Riley specifically...his suggestion that Celtic should just hurry up and sell him to Saints is pretty bizarre. Its their perogative to do what they like with a player who they have signed to a long contract. With for absolute definite as a minimum Saints, Atalanta and Brighton in for him then the onus is surely on those clubs to push Celtic by making an acceptable offer rather than on Celtic to cave in with virtually a month left of the window?

All our deals so far have been easy ones aside from possibly Downes (and even then WHU were clearly open to sell to fund their spree). Everyone else it was either unwanted players, frees or players with a year left on contracts.

There’s probably truth in it but I’m with you, the Celtic must get on with it line was funny especially when it was followed up by being annoyed that unless buying clubs got real then Onuachu was staying. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 3

@Give it to Ron I share your regret that we do not have anyone in the box to cross it to. And that the concept of doing so as a key attacking feature has almost been eradicated from Saints game. 

BUT- it’s obvious from day one of RM football that getting a cross into the box for the CF to put away is not the priority.

Saints turn down countless opportunities to “ cross the ball” into the penalty area every match in favour of playing through and hoping to get pull backs to Will and AA. 

Is it chicken and egg? Would they cross it if they knew we had a conventional CF like your name sake or date I say it Tall Paul? Or do they not cross it because they know there’s usually nobody there or if so they are not brilliant at that kind of opportunity?
Or, more likely, they are under strict instructions to NOT play that way. 

I think it’s the latter so I do not see us signing a “conventional” CF any time soon. Would be just a waste of space - like TP unfortunately - the way we currently play. 

IF we do sign another attacker I’d expect it to be a mf attacker or a wing based attacker - or both. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chewy said:

BBD is not a striker. If we are hoping either he, ArmA or Mara can somehow become a premier league striker, when they’re not even strikers, we’re in a bit of trouble.

Didn't he play up front for Sheffield last season? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SW5 SAINT said:

£27m is a lot of dosh for a player who is the same age as Ings…..

Even if he's great that's basically no resale value. I wouldn't be thrilled if saints signed a player like that for that dosh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKsaint said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c77llr5y035o

West Ham assure Danny Ings that he still has a chance to shine on the one hand, but find his replacement on the other.  

His career has been an absolute clusterfuck since he left Southampton. He's got no chance doing anything other than sitting on the bench counting his money.

I still wish we'd go for Antonio, his pace and power would be ideal for us and he's not an unrealisitc pie in the sky target......oh and he's proven in the Premier League  

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

@Give it to Ron I share your regret that we do not have anyone in the box to cross it to. And that the concept of doing so as a key attacking feature has almost been eradicated from Saints game. 

BUT- it’s obvious from day one of RM football that getting a cross into the box for the CF to put away is not the priority.

Saints turn down countless opportunities to “ cross the ball” into the penalty area every match in favour of playing through and hoping to get pull backs to Will and AA. 

Is it chicken and egg? Would they cross it if they knew we had a conventional CF like your name sake or date I say it Tall Paul? Or do they not cross it because they know there’s usually nobody there or if so they are not brilliant at that kind of opportunity?

I think it’s the latter so I do not see us signing a “conventional” CF any time soon. Would be just a waste of space - like TP unfortunately - the way we currently play. 

IF we do sign another attacker I’d expect it to be a mf attacker or a wing based attacker - or both. 

I was saying same last night , look back to West Ham away season relegated we put one ball in and he hit bar with header. He is an option we don’t have or had for a while. It’s clear we can only spend more on players from money players we sell  so utilise what we have?

Im not saying he is the answer and going by what I read on here from the open training session seemed he is not even in the group so all this may be just b/s but I’m concerned we do t have what everyone wants a forward and keeper yet.

TP would give us that plan B

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I saw us put in loads of crosses last season.  Problem was Adams or Mara up front never made a near post run.

Ings would improve us immeasurably, as would Antonio.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I see we’re briefing local journalists how nothing is our fault and people are lapping it up again. Easy work.

Laying the groundwork for "we tried, but we just couldn't get these deals over the line and we won't be held to ransom yada yada yada" briefing at the end of the window.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

There’s probably truth in it but I’m with you, the Celtic must get on with it line was funny especially when it was followed up by being annoyed that unless buying clubs got real then Onuachu was staying. 

Haha, I thought the exact same.

I’d like to think if there were one fanbase who understood a team sticking to their valuation at this point, it’d be us.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Anyone want to read a few reactions after one report of Brighton being interested in O’Riley. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Saints HQ - comedic as always.

IMG_6292.jpeg

IMG_6291.jpeg

IMG_6290.jpeg

IMG_6289.jpeg

IMG_6288.jpeg

Lack of willingness to pay Money in the Prem...!   that's us and about 14 other clubs who work on limited budgets whilst seeing the "big money teams "

pay out the equivalent of our entire transfer budget...on just one player, and even if we sign players at " a reasonable fee " they don't play for nothing 

every 20K / week salary is  over one million annually, and many of these fellows will spend a lot of time on the bench. 

RM wants O'Riley but that sort of transfer fee is just " lunch money " to clubs like Chelsea who regularly spend twice that without blinking. (e.g. Lavia)

Saints have spent around 60 million (so far) and brought in a dozen players.. that's pretty good economy in anyone's books.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I saw us put in loads of crosses last season.  Problem was Adams or Mara up front never made a near post run.

Ings would improve us immeasurably, as would Antonio.

I would take either but we won’t.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

His career has been an absolute clusterfuck since he left Southampton. He's got no chance doing anything other than sitting on the bench counting his money.

I still wish we'd go for Antonio, his pace and power would be ideal for us and he's not an unrealisitc pie in the sky target.  

I really like Antonio 👍 although a little worrying he's 34 and has had some injury issues. He fits RM football much better than Ings, had a good season with us on loan from Reading back in 2010. Decent goal scoring record, good at pressing, physically strong, keeping the ball well and has great throw ins. I welcome a re-union. 

Edited by Kristian Loekkegaard

19 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I still wish we'd go for Antonio, his pace and power would be ideal for us and he's not an unrealisitc pie in the sky target......oh and he's proven in the Premier League  

He is 34 and very much on the decline and not the player he once was.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Specific Qs...

Onuachu?

GK?

Alcaraz's future?

KWP?

Lots to still be done?

Fantastic write up 👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻

I would say all of the above is encouraging. Keeping the deadwood away from the first team quite rightly, targets aligned as well.

14 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Laying the groundwork for "we tried, but we just couldn't get these deals over the line and we won't be held to ransom yada yada yada" briefing at the end of the window.

Exactly this. Started weeks ago with the ‘personal terms will be tough’ stuff. Hopefully it works out but it’s good PR management if it doesn’t. 

Also enjoyed the ‘be careful of club briefings’ whilst simultaneously doing a club briefing. 

• Like 1

Adam Blackmore is an important link between the fanbase and the club and is obviously used (if thats the right word) by the club to get information out without their name being all over it. They are obviously frustrated with Celtic dragging their heels have told Adam to publicise the reasons this deal is dragging on. Fair enough. In his tweet advertising the piece Adam says himself you have to read between the lines in some of the things he says. I do sometimes worry that he has had to sell his editorial independence to gain access to the inner workings of the club but that's the price you pay I guess.

His comments re Ramsdale's salary being out of our range is interesting too because that is the club reining in the fans' expectations, but as someone has pointed out, signing Ramsdale on loan could just keep us up and that being the case it would be worth "splashing the cash". It's a huge gamble.

All in all with just over a week to go before the season starts like a lot of others I am concerned our squad is not near PL standard. I am not criticising the club because it is incredibly hard for promoted clubs to compete in the financial maelstrom, created by the mega wealthy with access to bottomless cash reserves, without bankruptcy if it all goes wrong. What might keep Saints up is a togetherness, all players pulling in the same direction and some canny under the radar signings that all work out. We have a manager the players seem to like and the euphoria of the win at Wembley has created a feel good factor among the whole club but there is no hiding place in the PL and I fear a few big losses in the early weeks may shake our confidence.

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella
spelling
  • Like 13

The issue is we're somewhat tied up until we can move on some of the deadwood. Between ABK, Sulemana and Tall Paul you have 50M in expenditure unaccounted for. Sadly that's not Monopoly money for a club like us.

I'm hopeful we can do some smart busniess in the last few weeks of the window. I think we've been pretty good in the loan market and I'd expect us to dip back in to add depth if we don't have the funds the splash on top talent.

The benefit on RM's philosophy as opposed to our past few managers is that the whole is far more important than the individual. I feel confident that even when things get tough this season (as they will) the players won't be looking at each other with the same level of apathy they did the last time we were in the prem.

Edited by Hopper
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I saw us put in loads of crosses in last season.

As did I, but to me the problem was the quality of those crosses. In my opinion far too many were able to be easily dealt with by the opposition defence. Compared to the balls that ,for instance,  Luke Shaw used to put in a high percentage were awful.

36 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

yada yada yada. Talk us through how you'd get these deals, both in and out, over the line. 

The club wants these players in and out. They are not making low bids just so they can say they tried. They are trying to get players for the amount they value them and to ensure they remain in budget.

I find it bizaar that fans think the club spends it's transfer window worrying about the optics. 

5 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

As did I, but to me the problem was the quality of those crosses. In my opinion far too many were able to be easily dealt with by the opposition defence. Compared to the balls that ,for instance,  Luke Shaw used to put in a high percentage were awful.

Yuki looks like a good crosser, which might be promising

• Like 1