Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Brighton have already spent £30m or so on two players this summer and probably still have a good chunk of the Caicedo/Cucurella cash left over.

As ever, the player will ultimately move where he wants to go and I'm sure if that isnt to Saints then RM will know as imagine MOR would treat him respectfully - and if thats the case we can go after others.

Shame if that does happen as he seemed ideal but we probably aren't that attractive considering we are likely to get relegated again.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Shame if that does happen as he seemed ideal but we probably aren't that attractive considering we are likely to get relegated again.

Very true we used to be a club where good young players game hoping to develop and move on to a bigger club

Next best after Matt O'Reilly on that list I provided from the "we could afford" bracket would be Martin Baturina who is rated very highly but he would be pushing in terms of finances as well maybe not as much as Celtic are with O'Reilly since I don't really know how much the average going rate for Dinamo Zagreb's best talents are. SR have business history with them but uh I think the less said about the player we bought from them the better 🤣

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not being able to compete with Brighton and Bournemouth. Really brings it home how far we have fallen over the last few years.

Probably something to do with Sports Republic

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, northam soul said:

Is that how you knew for definite that JWP was going nowhere?

I mean you chose to believe everything you read on the internet and take it as gospel, that’s a you problem.

I don’t work for the club, nor am I involved in negotiations. It’s nice to know we’re in for these players, doesn’t mean it’ll come off.

But it’ll shut up some people that think the club are doing naff all. 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not being able to compete with Brighton and Bournemouth. Really brings it home how far we have fallen over the last few years.

Personally think both of them will struggle this season. Feel it in me waters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

I don't know if you are genuine or not, but don't let the naysaying Eyores stop you posting any snippets that you may have. I find the odd bits of "positive news" quite exciting, even if they end up not happening.

I’ve said before it may not happen. But like you, I take it as encouraging that we are actually looking at these players and talks are happening.

Some won’t like it, some will have a jibe about my own personal view on JWP last summer - I didn’t think he would but he did, largely due to FFP as it’s classed as 100% pure profit - that’s just a fact, and some will actually be interested to hear these things.

It’s not a guarantee but it’s encouraging to hear us linked with players of that calibre.

So many on here having a dig that we’re linked with low rated SPL or EFL players, actually we ARE competing. 😊

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

More like Gao.

I agree Gao did not invest much but it was Sports Repulic which spent millions on players who never performed well and got us relegated

• Like 3

Feels a bit like these stories today have come out so in 3 weeks the board can point to all of the efforts they went to bidding on this higher quality player only to come up short and buy a cheaper unknown alternative. 

I think the MOR deal needed to happen quickly and be a surprise to others not getting us into a bidding war. Not sure I see his relationship with Russ as being strong enough to bat away Brighton sadly.

3 minutes ago, John B said:

I agree Gao did not invest much but it was Sports Repulic which spent millions on players who never performed well and got us relegated

But in fairness we already had the downward momentum from Feb 2022, and arguably after Koeman left.

BUT if they had moved on Ralph in the summer of 2022 things might have been different. (Or not hired mad Nate or promoted Selles)

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
additional sane thinking

4 minutes ago, Stu Man Do said:

Feels a bit like these stories today have come out so in 3 weeks the board can point to all of the efforts they went to bidding on this higher quality player only to come up short and buy a cheaper unknown alternative. 

I think the MOR deal needed to happen quickly and be a surprise to others not getting us into a bidding war. Not sure I see his relationship with Russ as being strong enough to bat away Brighton sadly.

Bearing in mind that statistical analysis above: touches in the box by a midfielder (oh er missus! etc) Do you really think we were the only club that had spotted MoR's potential? Do you think that if we had offered £25m off the bat Celtic would have said "No worries, carry on nipper."

The amount of people over on twitter who just think you pay the asking price and get it done quickly clearly play too much Football Manager. 

Celtic have been slow because they are trying to get more interest to maximise the price they eventually get. I’m sure if we went in with £25M at beginning of July they would then hold out for even more. Just the way transfers go

3 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

The amount of people over on twitter who just think you pay the asking price and get it done quickly clearly play too much Football Manager. 

Celtic have been slow because they are trying to get more interest to maximise the price they eventually get. I’m sure if we went in with £25M at beginning of July they would then hold out for even more. Just the way transfers go

This. But still hurts to see O’Riley probably going elsewhere. Big concern for me is having McCarthy as our keeper. (Would he get in any other Prem starting XI? Answer is no) Feels at the moment that we are not strong enough to stay up. Big week to sort major positions. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Bearing in mind that statistical analysis above: touches in the box by a midfielder (oh er missus! etc) Do you really think we were the only club that had spotted MoR's potential? Do you think that if we had offered £25m off the bat Celtic would have said "No worries, carry on nipper."

Of course not but when you’re after a top end target like MOR ( at our level) speed is of the essence. Had we bid closer to what they requested perhaps there would have been a different outcome? This what aboutery is easy isn’t it?

54 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Hopefully everyone at the club is fully motivated to get us back above them. Brighton have plenty going for them, Bournemouth should be the first we return above. 

5 minutes ago, DT said:

This. But still hurts to see O’Riley probably going elsewhere. Big concern for me is having McCarthy as our keeper. (Would he get in any other Prem starting XI? Answer is no) Feels at the moment that we are not strong enough to stay up. Big week to sort major positions. 

McCarthy is not at all the standard needed. Neither are our creative players and forwards. 3 or 4 players of real quality needed, 3 as a minimum. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, John B said:

The decline started way before SR got involved. Agreed that their first season was a complete shit show, but we had been mis-managed for a while. 

• Like 1

I fear that we have a bad case of “window constipation” – stuck with some hard-to-sell players because they were crap when we bought them or – more likely – because we never got enough out of them. That has been an issue with us for some time. Lemina always had a much better tune in him than we were able to get out of him, same for Onuachu because we never played to his strengths, Alcaraz has commitment and talent but no real playing identity, we haven’t been able to add an end product to Sulemana’s undoubted pace and skill (and now he’s injured anyway), and ABK’s injury proneness is as much in his head as his body. We value KWP much more highly than the market apparently does.

If we can’t move most of those players out for decent money (and quickly) we’ll probably struggle to bring in the players we badly need. I’m not sure that loaning them out helps much if we don't have the money to buy, so some might end up in our squad. And another big question is whether (or even if) Ross Stewart can fill the striker void.

That would put a ton of pressure on Martin to re-integrate them and start unlocking their potential in roles that make the side better. It's far from ideal but Martin views this as one of his biggest strengths, and that’s probably about to be really tested.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, DT said:

Agree but it’s not like if we don’t get MOR then they have to start from stretch again. We’ll have option B C D E etc 

Keeper always going to take time as looking to loan rather than buy, top clubs will looking to sell still rather than loan. Those loans will probably come with 2 weeks or so prior to window closing when clubs realise they aren’t going to sell them 

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

More a reflection of how well they have done

• Like 1

It’s a bit depressing when everyone is acting like Brighton being interested is like they are gonna blow us out the water like they are Real Madrid or something .. I get they have had a good period but really we are bigger club then Brighton ..

but we do need to get with the times and realise 15 million fees ain’t much these days and most prem clubs will pay more then us 

41 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

It’s a bit depressing when everyone is acting like Brighton being interested is like they are gonna blow us out the water like they are Real Madrid or something .. I get they have had a good period but really we are bigger club then Brighton ..

but we do need to get with the times and realise 15 million fees ain’t much these days and most prem clubs will pay more then us 

Of course we're a bigger club but players don't care about trivial things like that. Brighton have more money and they're in a better position than us to have a successful season. That's the harsh reality.

Edited by Disco Stu

5 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

The problem is that Brighton seem to be a well run club with a habit of finding hidden gems on the transfer market and have a decent succession in the management dept. We have been a bit of a basket-case for a while......I wish we were Brighton!😊

Edited by miserableoldgit

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Of course we're a bigger bigger club but players don't care about trivial things like that. Brighton have more money and they're in a better position than us to have a successful season. That's the harsh reality.

Yep. Can't talk about being a "bigger club" when buying a star player from Celtic, who are a bigger club than us.

Bigger club stuff is nonsense anyway. All players and staff care about is where the clubs are at right now and who can offer the better money.

• Like 1

Bigger club discourse is just narcissism of small differences unless you're one of the handful of teams with global recognition. We're not a bigger club than Brighton and they're not bigger than us - they're just another interchangeable modestly sized PL club with a better five-year record than ours, which is pretty much the only reputational issue that will matter to a young player choosing between us as their next step on the ladder. 

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Stu Man Do said:

Of course not but when you’re after a top end target like MOR ( at our level) speed is of the essence. Had we bid closer to what they requested perhaps there would have been a different outcome? This what aboutery is easy isn’t it?

Clubs and agents are in constant conversation, and clearly know miles more than forums or journalists.

If player or club thought that through putting feelings out,  they could get a better deal, or a club the player prefers, they wouldn't just accept Saints without looking at any other options. 

And when have a club, when they are criticised over a poor start or a poor transfer window ever referred to previous rumours linking them with players? It's nonsense to suggest saints leak their interest.

Edited by West end Saints

Not a fan of a transfer saga. Much prefer me an out of the blue, get the job done quickly and quietly transfer like Sugawara! That said if we do somehow get O'Riley with the other teams interested it will feel like a real accomplishment!

22 minutes ago, Stu Man Do said:

Is speed really the deciding factor? If Celtic want £25m and we don't want to spend more than £20m, how does going fast help?

I'd say patience is often the key. They are in no rush to sell, and can just wait until they get a £25m bid. However, they may come down if no one else reaches their price. 

If someone values him higher or simply have more cash to burn, you just have to accept that's the order of things at the moment. 

We’re effectively competitive with about ten-twelve teams.

The top eight is politely irrelevant.

When you look at the squads of those other Premier League teams around us, the off field issues some have going on, the overspending some are doing, the unbalance around the playing team - suddenly you factor all that together and we’re in a relatively good place.

Yes we might not be spending £30m per player, we tried that before and it didn’t work. I’d rather we spent wisely than heavily. I would say so far we have done that, but still with a few positions left to go.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DT said:

Are we genuinely looking for a keeper? 

Same question regarding a striker?

I know what the fans want, but do the club feel the same?

25 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

This.

The twitter meltdown is comical from some of our fans. They have supposedly just opened talks with Celtic from what I have seen. It's not as if a fee has been agreed and he's on his way for a medical. 

RM will be a pull for O'Riley if both teams end up having bids accepted

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Are we genuinely looking for a keeper? 

Same question regarding a striker?

I know what the fans want, but do the club feel the same?

They appear happy with our existing keepers and hoping Stewart gets fit .

That said, they did say that they weren't going to make the same mistakes again. 

Let's wait and see, but I'm not convinced.

15 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

This.

The twitter meltdown is comical from some of our fans. They have supposedly just opened talks with Celtic from what I have seen. It's not as if a fee has been agreed and he's on his way for a medical. 

RM will be a pull for O'Riley if both teams end up having bids accepted

Problem is we can't compete with Brighton in terms of a fee. 

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We’re effectively competitive with about ten-twelve teams.

The top eight is politely irrelevant.

When you look at the squads of those other Premier League teams around us, the off field issues some have going on, the overspending some are doing, the unbalance around the playing team - suddenly you factor all that together and we’re in a relatively good place.

Yes we might not be spending £30m per player, we tried that before and it didn’t work. I’d rather we spent wisely than heavily. I would say so far we have done that, but still with a few positions left to go.

We're in a group of three. Everyone else looks more likely to survive than us, which makes us a tough sell even if we can afford them. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Just can't see O'Riley happening now unfortunately.

Carvalho and Buonanotte more realistic IMO.

Honestly would be very happy with Carvalho. O'Riley signing won't make or break us.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Challenger said:

They appear happy with our existing keepers and hoping Stewart gets fit .

That said, they did say that they weren't going to make the same mistakes again. 

Let's wait and see, but I'm not convinced.

The echo reported on our pre season trip that Lis will be going out on loan and another keeper will be brought in