Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

5 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

That's actually not entirely true. When Macca has the ball at his feet, isn't being put under too much pressure and has got a little bit of time to get his head up and have a look, he's actually quite capable of playing quite neat 40-50 yard passes, normally clipped over the nearest attacker to someone a bit further wide or in space in the midfield. 

Where he struggles is in receiving the ball. His control is poor, he's very one-footed (understandably), and he has a tendency to panic because of this. He also can't play one-touch passes or passes when he's being closed down and given less time. Rather than recognise when he's in this situation and just put his foot through it, it looks like he feels (or has been told) he has to play out at all costs, and that's when the really awful mistakes occur. 

So it's not playing it back to him that's the problem per se, it's about being selective and intelligent and only doing it when he's not immediately going to get closed down and put under loads of pressure. 

We will just need to adjust. If we can adjust to Russball, we can adjust to Russball+Macca. We have not choice. I don't think there were too many Saints fans unhappy that McCarthy put his foot through the ball more often. I think many are worried about replicating Burnley's issues of losing the ball and conceding. 

The problem though, is if we turn over possession more (when McCarthy clears) will our defence cope having to stop more attacks and will our attack create enough, with less of the ball. 

• Like 7

Ok some considered posts there gents thanks, both on carvalho and goalkeeping, I feel better regarding McCarthy and how we would play with him.

Guess I'm a sucker for the hyperbole about him being bad at kicking but he does seem Fraser foster esq at hitting the ball at the coaches bench from a goal kick.

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

The problem though, is if we turn over possession more (when McCarthy clears) will our defence cope having to stop more attacks and will our attack create enough, with less of the ball. 

@chez I like this a lot because I see your correct based on last year.

We got overrun to easily when losing the ball in the midfield so let's brainstorm what is the answer.

It sort of feels if we play 3 CBs we would try and have 2 inverted wing backs but I don't think that worked last year in the slightest.

Would we play 2 strikers, 1 AM and then 2 DMs as our system or do you think Russ is sticking with wingers ? 

Honestly downes is great but I'm not sure anyone else adds that Vic steel in midfield to breakdown attacks, it still feels like it's our soft underbelly.

Edited by Convict Colony

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

We will just need to adjust. If we can adjust to Russball, we can adjust to Russball+Macca. We have not choice. I don't think there were too many Saints fans unhappy that McCarthy put his foot through the ball more often. I think many are worried about replicating Burnley's issues of losing the ball and conceding. 

Great minds :)

#JusticeForMacca

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

We got overrun to easily when losing the ball in the midfield so let's brainstorm what is the answer.

It sort of feels if we play 3 CBs we would try and have 2 inverted wing backs but I don't think that worked last year in the slightest.

Would we play 2 strikers, 1 AM and then 2 DMs as our system or do you think Russ is sticking with wingers ? 

Honestly downes is great but I'm not sure anyone else adds that Vic steel in midfield to breakdown attacks, it still feels like it's out soft underbelly.

I know what you mean, and I would sort of like one of those players too, but Vic couldn't pass for shit and Martin wouldn't play a player like him in a million years. 

What we really need is a new Romeu. Happy to sit, get his foot in and do the dirty stuff but also totally comfortable receiving the ball in tight areas and good enough to play his way out, keep possession and pick a pass. How we find someone who can do that to the level he did, on our budget though I do not know. 

Romeu was absolute class. 

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

That's actually not entirely true. When Macca has the ball at his feet, isn't being put under too much pressure and has got a little bit of time to get his head up and have a look, he's actually quite capable of playing quite neat 40-50 yard passes, normally clipped over the nearest attacker to someone a bit further wide or in space in the midfield. 

Where he struggles is in receiving the ball. His control is poor, he's very one-footed (understandably), and he has a tendency to panic because of this. He also can't play one-touch passes or passes when he's being closed down and given less time. Rather than recognise when he's in this situation and just put his foot through it, it looks like he feels (or has been told) he has to play out at all costs, and that's when the really awful mistakes occur. 

So it's not playing it back to him that's the problem per se, it's about being selective and intelligent and only doing it when he's not immediately going to get closed down and put under loads of pressure. When he came back into the side at the end of last season we got quite good at making those decisions, and looked much more solid and less heart-attack-inducing at the back as a result of that. 

Post more stuff like this, I'm an tactical immebcile but I enjoy this thanks amigo

• Like 1

Just now, Midfield_General said:

I know what you mean, and I would sort of like one of those players too, but Vic couldn't pass for shit and Martin wouldn't play a player like him in a million years. 

What we really need is a new Romeu. Happy to sit, get his foot in and do the dirty stuff but also totally comfortable receiving the ball in tight areas and good enough to play his way out, keep possession and pick a pass. How we find someone who can do that to the level he did, on our budget though I do not know. 

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Honestly downes is great but I'm not sure anyone else adds that Vic steel in midfield to breakdown attacks, it still feels like it's our soft underbelly.

The one thing about losing the ball when you have hit it long is that you have everyone behind the ball, so should be set up correctly to stop `easy goals'. When you lose the ball in you own half and perhaps with fullbacks pushed up, there is a lot of space behind. So, its swings and roundabouts. Less goals conceded on the break and when we are short, but more regular defensive work to do, because we have the ball less. For this reason, a McTominey type midfielder or an extra DM like Sara would be handy. 

In terms of doing more with the ball, the long and short of it is having more quality up there. Carvalho, Asprilla and dare I say it Brooks/Sulemana types that can unlock defences.

I'm intrigued by the BBD signing and where we are going to play him. He played with Archer in a two. Are we really going to play with him in a 3 man forward line?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Sara is the guy, but he'd be another £18m that we probably don't have.

• Like 3

Sky sports reporting that Chelsea interested in O'Riley as replacement for Gallagher who's off to Athletico Madrid.

edit sorry thought I had a scoop there but realised it's old news. Just add -er to main words in my user name.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Beautiful posts is there a forum where midfield general and Chez just feed tactical knowledge into my veins.

Sara was an alternative for Atalanta to Reily according to Italian press, maybe we should step up and ask, but I don't think based on stats last year creating chances isn't the issue it's either finishing them or defending against them.

Just now, Oldandtired said:

Sky sports reporting that Chelsea interested in O'Riley as replacement for Gallagher who's off to Athletico Madrid.

If I was o'Riley and I heard that I would cancel my sky sports subscription and sue them for defamation 

12 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

What makes you so sure?

Just know a couple of people who were in and around the club. I have done for a few years.

The O’Riley and Ramsdale rumours aren’t as far fetched as some might think, but they don’t happen overnight like you can do on FIFA. That’s where it gets misconstrued - you get prat’s whining on social media that stuff isn’t getting done despite things happening all the time behind the scenes.

The absolute best way to operate.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Just know a couple of people who were in and around the club. I have done for a few years.

The O’Riley and Ramsdale rumours aren’t as far fetched as some might think, but they don’t happen overnight like you can do on FIFA. That’s where it gets misconstrued - you get prat’s whining on social media that stuff isn’t getting done despite things happening all the time behind the scenes.

Is that how you knew for definite that JWP was going nowhere?

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

28 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Thanks for the update. Any chance Carvalho happens too or is it one or the other.

27 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

So, real life football is different to a computer game. Enlightening. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Thoughts on JwP move to West Ham?

I don't know if you are genuine or not, but don't let the naysaying Eyores stop you posting any snippets that you may have. I find the odd bits of "positive news" quite exciting, even if they end up not happening.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Sara's been sold to Galatasary for £20m.

Ah. I missed that. I wouldn't be surprised if we were interested in him and will keep an eye on him. However as he is a 25 year old with a five year contract, I think it's ships passing with that one.

I've been on this forum and it's predecessor for god knows how long now, and the 'inactivity' and 'speed' we do things is just a standard gripe from frustrated/eager fans in every window. 

From the snippets in the press, we seem to be very active. We also seem to be linked to a couple of players the majority quite fancy. 

Very exciting couple of weeks ahead.

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

Think Ramsdale is going back to Bournemouth unfortunately.

Would make a lot of sense. Nearly top half last year, but for a terrible start. Played and lived there before, may have family down there, has his best mate in football playing there... it adds up

• Like 1

Explains why the Fabio Carvalho stuff suddenly developed and why Blackmore/Saints were briefing that Liverpool leaked it, Saints presumably trying to quietly make progress with an alternative

2 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

Do you have a source? I would be surprised as Neto has been pretty solid for them.

Yeah unfortunately. Nowhere near done but I know of their interest and be surprised if he chooses us over it.

Be funny to see how quickly Brighton snap up O’Riley now. Think the absolute no-hope Carvalho bid will probably have been an indicator that we knew it was done.

3 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Explains why the Fabio Carvalho stuff suddenly developed and why Blackmore/Saints were briefing that Liverpool leaked it, Saints presumably trying to quietly make progress with an alternative

They don't play in the same position/role, so they aren't alternatives for each other.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

They don't play in the same position/role, so they aren't alternatives for each other.

Someone can be an alternative way of spending a sum of money without playing the exact same role, but then you already knew that, just your pedant senses were tingling and you couldn't help yourself

O'Riley more of an 8 who pushes on, Carvalho more of a 10 who floats and likes to drive in space. However, both bring creativity and a final pass, finish, albeit in different ways. Can't believe I even bothered to give more of a proper reply

5 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

This is incorrect, it was a clickbait headline which when read it said nothing of the sort, no quotes, no word rejection in it, just utter utter utter bollocks by shit newspaper fuckwits.

OK, keep your hair on. 😱

image.png.1d9060672c1b723a815a109ceb40e1f7.png

I guess if we start seeing a link to someone from this list not named Matt O'Reilly then we've truly moved on. Still hope we haven't given up, 225 touches in the box hope we push higher bids for him or at least had talks planned out to possible backup options if we don't intend to bid higher. 

Edited by V.Johnathan.Wilson

3 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

image.png.1d9060672c1b723a815a109ceb40e1f7.png

I guess if we start seeing a link to someone from this list not named Matt O'Reilly then we've truly moved on. 

That fella at No.6 in the list CDAJFU....

26 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Carvalho played in an advanced midfield role for Fulham and Hull fairly often (not sure about Liverpool as I haven't seen him play for them).  They're not the same type of player but can play in the same position.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Yeah unfortunately. Nowhere near done but I know of their interest and be surprised if he chooses us over it.

Be funny to see how quickly Brighton snap up O’Riley now. Think the absolute no-hope Carvalho bid will probably have been an indicator that we knew it was done.

Fair enough. I can see the draw of Bournemouth especially if they give him a reasonable sense of confidence he will be there no1 - if not we may be in with a shout.

O’Riley and Carvalho may not happen but both seem like the right sort of players to target. Hopefully we have a longer list, I’m sure there is value to had in Europe - the Dutch market seems to be undervalued at times and the money issues in France should create some opportunities (it looks like we tried for the Metz player).

It is a bit gutting that Bournemouth and Brighton are in such better places than us but a few good windows and a bit of luck and we can find ourselves in their shoes to my mind.

• Like 1