Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

39 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

We really haven't done well with signings from South America in the past. We haven't done much better with signings from Europe in the past apart from the odd one or two. 

Perhaps we haven't but Brighton and Fulham have found South American gems in the recent past so they do exist. All these markets will be hit and miss but we can't afford to dine at the top table.

Not exactly a hot take but even from watching 30mins of the Celtic game its clear how MOR would fit into our system, he is almost perfect for it. Obviously good technically but liked his movement off the ball too.

After 10 mins Kilmarnock had only completed 6 passes...ridiculous league and he is clearly ready for a proper test.

No suprise lots of teams want him.

• Like 2

Seems to be a lack of fresh rumours while the stale ones get rehashed. Even the COT is not posting any new tantalising clues. Ramsdale on loan is frequently mentioned but there seems nothing to suggest this is anything more than a forlorn hope resulting from the fact that he was at Wembley to support his pal Brooks who is not even at the club now.  We are likely stuck with McCarthy and Lumley as our first and second choice keepers - we'll need far better to repel the likely onslaught on our goal during  most Premier League games. There seem few links to any decent strikers and our midfield needs seriously beefing up.  Hopefully major developments are being worked on behind the scenes and we'll be in for some exciting surprises in the coming 3 weeks. It is a long while since we had a successful transfer window but I guess we are still swimming with the bottom feeders due to the lack of a major financial backer.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2024 at 19:45, hippo said:

My mates a Dundee United fan and he seems to think their striker Rory Macleod is off to us. 18, not done much for seniors so sounds like another development signing. 

He’s on trial with the u21s, then. ITK points pls. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, saintant said:

Seems to be a lack of fresh rumours while the stale ones get rehashed. Even the COT is not posting any new tantalising clues. Ramsdale on loan is frequently mentioned but there seems nothing to suggest this is anything more than a forlorn hope resulting from the fact that he was at Wembley to support his pal Brooks who is not even at the club now.  We are likely stuck with McCarthy and Lumley as our first and second choice keepers - we'll need far better to repel the likely onslaught on our goal during  most Premier League games. There seem few links to any decent strikers and our midfield needs seriously beefing up.  Hopefully major developments are being worked on behind the scenes and we'll be in for some exciting surprises in the coming 3 weeks. It is a long while since we had a successful transfer window but I guess we are still swimming with the bottom feeders due to the lack of a major financial backer.

As Russell confirmed nothing imminent, the COT thread been quiet too, sure it’s just another amazing coincidence 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

As Ralph confirmed nothing imminent, the COT thread been quiet too, sure it’s just another amazing coincidence 

It might have been the silence of the lambs thing I put up earlier, but I'm picturing Ralph peeling off his bloody Russ Face. "No real face could have a beard so well trimmed!" and "Of course we'll not need replacements for Fraser or Brooks! Not in a 4-2-2-2!" So, thanks for that image. I'm really hoping we've another Ralph at the club.

• Haha 1

We might be quiet in terms of rumours, but so is the rest of our division. Hardly any major deals, so far. Indeed, very few significant deals across all 20 clubs. Little talk of that many moves, either. Is that profit and sustainability holding everyone back, everyone holding out for higher prices on players being sold, or a lack of cash in the game? 

I suspect we might see a very busy second half to the month with us and other clubs being a lot more active than the last couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, Pwoite said:

We might be quiet in terms of rumours, but so is the rest of our division. Hardly any major deals, so far. Indeed, very few significant deals across all 20 clubs. Little talk of that many moves, either. Is that profit and sustainability holding everyone back, everyone holding out for higher prices on players being sold, or a lack of cash in the game? 

I suspect we might see a very busy second half to the month with us and other clubs being a lot more active than the last couple of weeks.

Haven't West Ham just shelled out more than £30 million for Crys Summerville? I remember Newcastle were due to pay big for Guehi soon?

Had a gander at Blackmores tweets today. Quite I terestong I thought and clearly has sources in the club. Seemed fairly certain that Alcaraz, ABK and KWP would be off and also wrote about o'riley that suggested to me that we have a big chance of nabbing him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Matt O’Riley will be a Saints player in two weeks time. 

Aaron Ramsdale will be a little longer.

Positive mindset lads, and also I wouldn’t say it’s unrealistic.

I think we have an interest in both. I'll believe we have a chance of signing either when it actually happens. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

There’s little doubt that potentially signing O’Riley, Carvalho and Ramsdale would greatly enhance our chances of survival but I’m hoping we have other choices for if and when we don’t get these. I’m also thinking the baggage we have on high wages is presently holding us back on things. Sell Onuachu, ABK and even Charly in the next week hypothetically would give us lots more scope to buy the players we want but it’s not that easy and it will all definitely go down to the last few days of the window.

https://x.com/AdamBlackmore/status/1820081286062424291

The last bit of Blackmore's Tweet... "O’Riley would no doubt love to play in the PL …and if a player or two goes the other way on loan, good for all parties."

So, which two would you send to Celtic on loan? Shea Charles is the one that has been reported and would make sense. He needs more game time and the Premier League would be too ruthless/unforgiving for him to learn his trade. Shaw, or Lavia, he is not. We would need to replace him with a more senior head though to backup Downes. I think the other would be Alcaraz. Again, talks of him leaving, but I think his true value has plummeted after last season. Put him in the Celtic team and hopefully he excels in Scottish football, adding a few more million onto his tag. Worked with Tella, who became a £20m player from his time at Burnley. I think other possibilities would be Dibling/SAA and I know they're flavour of the month at the moment, but I would like to keep them around the first team this season.

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

What makes you so sure?

10 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

https://x.com/AdamBlackmore/status/1820081286062424291

The last bit of Blackmore's Tweet... "O’Riley would no doubt love to play in the PL …and if a player or two goes the other way on loan, good for all parties."

So, which two would you send to Celtic on loan? Shea Charles is the one that has been reported and would make sense. He needs more game time and the Premier League would be too ruthless/unforgiving for him to learn his trade. Shaw, or Lavia, he is not. We would need to replace him with a more senior head though to backup Downes. I think the other would be Alcaraz. Again, talks of him leaving, but I think his true value has plummeted after last season. Put him in the Celtic team and hopefully he excels in Scottish football, adding a few more million onto his tag. Worked with Tella, who became a £20m player from his time at Burnley. I think other possibilities would be Dibling/SAA and I know they're flavour of the month at the moment, but I would like to keep them around the first team this season.

Charles and/Or Alcaraz

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Charles and/Or Alcaraz

Most likely but (wouldn't know how they're fixed for CBs) maybe an exit door for ABK. Would be joining a very big club, will win things and get to play (albeit briefly) CL football. He might fancy it and excel up there.

• Like 2

Charlie is the most obvious player to replace O’Riley's role at Celtic. Not Shea. They play completely different positions ( though I believe Shea can play further upfield whereas Charlie would not work as a #6 imo. ) 

Ive posted this before but I think loan Charlie ➡️Celtic would tick a lot of boxes for him, for Brendan - and for Saints - as well as sweeten the medicine of selling O’Riley to us. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Charlie is the most obvious player to replace O’Riley's role at Celtic. Not Shea. They play completely different positions ( though I believe Shea can play further upfield whereas Charlie would not work as a #6 imo. ) 

Ive posted this before but I think loan Charlie ➡️Celtic would tick a lot of boxes for him, for Brendan - and for Saints - as well as sweeten the medicine of selling O’Riley to us. 

I think this might leave our team in better shape than loaning Shea Charles. Dibling could be our stand in 10, whereas we'd have to buy/loan a stand in 6 and they tend to be pricey nowadays.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I think we have an interest in both. I'll believe we have a chance of signing either when it actually happens. 

At that point I'd say we have a very good chance of signing them

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

I am reasonably sure I read somewhere that Charles had said no to Celtic, not surprising, the Celtic/Northern Ireland thing is an issue that some do not appreciate, I have no idea if Shea would have this issue, but he might. Obviously he is not actually from Northern Ireland, only qualifies through his Mother (I think). A loan to Rangers might be more appealing to him, but then that does not help us with O'Reilly. Alcaraz is the better bet for a loan, but then that doesn't really help us does it, we have to hope that he can provide more for us than he has shown in the past, we have so few options in AM at the moment.

2 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Liverpool want £27.5m apparently. 

They love to inflate their prices somewhat, are they not asking £20m for van den Berg even through teams offering around £11m 😅

11 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I am reasonably sure I read somewhere that Charles had said no to Celtic, not surprising, the Celtic/Northern Ireland thing is an issue that some do not appreciate, I have no idea if Shea would have this issue, but he might. Obviously he is not actually from Northern Ireland, only qualifies through his Mother (I think). A loan to Rangers might be more appealing to him, but then that does not help us with O'Reilly. Alcaraz is the better bet for a loan, but then that doesn't really help us does it, we have to hope that he can provide more for us than he has shown in the past, we have so few options in AM at the moment.

This is incorrect, it was a clickbait headline which when read it said nothing of the sort, no quotes, no word rejection in it, just utter utter utter bollocks by shit newspaper fuckwits.

So does it look like we are trying Fabio instead of Matt ? Or god forbid we are trying to get them both.

I've spent last 24hrs in airplanes but I see the Celtic plant story about Chelsea needing to purchase another attacking mid is utter bollocks, even Chelsea do not want a 6th attacking midfielder, let alone him actually wanting to go there.

Sorry for the avalanche of posts but I've also enjoyed Chelsea having the same issues we had last year with defenders playing this system and messing up.

Logic states we should be much better at this style after a year's experience the unknown is the goalkeeper, we know McCarthy couldn't kick a cat so do we revert to the 3 CBs as we did last year and cut him out completely ?

17 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

They love to inflate their prices somewhat, are they not asking £20m for van den Berg even through teams offering around £11m 😅

100% this but as soon as someone they are trying to buy from do this there is outcry that they are stopping the players dream to play at anfield and get their houses robbed while they are playing away at Qarabağ in Azerbaijan on a Thursday night.

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

very true, but it worth noting that Callum McGregor has previously played further forward in their midfield, so a holding midfielder would allow him to do that again

3 hours ago, SaintLondon said:

Liverpool want £27.5m apparently. 

Ouch. That's a sizeable fee. Liverpool signing players on the cheap (almost free in his case), not getting  tune out of them and then selling for huge amounts is bloody annoying. Even when they fail they seem to make money. Fair play to them I guess, but we obviously tried to get him on a free too and were blown out the water. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

I am really sorry but it's like my brain is farting all my saints thoughts why you dudes work.

Victor Roque, powerful, fast Brazilian who hasn't had a look in at Barca as he doesn't seem to suit their system "The Brazilian stands out for his eccentricity , bravery, physicality, effectiveness towards goal and determination. 

If Brighton can loan Fati why couldn't we loan him, his profile above sounds made for premier league and his wages would be affordable Id guess.

14 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

So does it look like we are trying Fabio instead of Matt ? Or god forbid we are trying to get them both.

It's hard to say. In addition to O'Riley, we have supposedly made a bid for Rak-Sakyi, who so it could be both.  

Rennes have had a £25m bid for Asprilla accepted. Talent doesn't come cheap, even from the championship (Crysencio Summerville price was also £25m+). If we somehow got Carvalho that would soften the blow of missing out on him.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I am really sorry but it's like my brain is farting all my saints thoughts why you dudes work.

Victor Roque, powerful, fast Brazilian who hasn't had a look in at Barca as he doesn't seem to suit their system "The Brazilian stands out for his eccentricity , bravery, physicality, effectiveness towards goal and determination. 

If Brighton can loan Fati why couldn't we loan him, his profile above sounds made for premier league and his wages would be affordable Id guess.

Did Brighton have European football when they got Fati? I would guess that helps a little. A relegation threatened side like us is a tough sell to a Barca player I should think. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

we know McCarthy couldn't kick a cat

That's actually not entirely true. When Macca has the ball at his feet, isn't being put under too much pressure and has got a little bit of time to get his head up and have a look, he's actually quite capable of playing quite neat 40-50 yard passes, normally clipped over the nearest attacker to someone a bit further wide or in space in the midfield. 

Where he struggles is in receiving the ball. His control is poor, he's very one-footed (understandably), and he has a tendency to panic because of this. He also can't play one-touch passes or passes when he's being closed down and given less time. Rather than recognise when he's in this situation and just put his foot through it, it looks like he feels (or has been told) he has to play out at all costs, and that's when the really awful mistakes occur. 

So it's not playing it back to him that's the problem per se, it's about being selective and intelligent and only doing it when he's not immediately going to get closed down and put under loads of pressure. When he came back into the side at the end of last season we got quite good at making those decisions, and looked much more solid and less heart-attack-inducing at the back as a result of that. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Sorry for the avalanche of posts but I've also enjoyed Chelsea having the same issues we had last year with defenders playing this system and messing up.

Logic states we should be much better at this style after a year's experience the unknown is the goalkeeper, we know McCarthy couldn't kick a cat so do we revert to the 3 CBs as we did last year and cut him out completely ?

I think the 3 center backs will be required to minimise space for opponents and not because we have a keeper is less comfortable on the ball.

I actually think McCarthy's distribution is OK. He pings a decent ball out wide. Not always perfect, but not horrific. He also seems to make reasonable decisions as to when to boot it and when to play. That could help us, as was the case in the play offs. He's not a sweeper though, so we will lose out there.

• Like 4