Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

13 minutes ago, waylander said:

SSN

We didn’t go in with wot Celtic wanted & was tbf an embarrassing bid ..was wondering when a bigger club would come calling cos the lad is a class act.

.….. as for calvalho he chose hull over us last season so I doubt he’d want a relegation scrap with us this season.

6 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

We didn’t go in with wot Celtic wanted & was tbf an embarrassing bid ..was wondering when a bigger club would come calling cos the lad is a class act.

.….. as for calvalho he chose hull over us last season so I doubt he’d want a relegation scrap with us this season.

What bid?

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

And where did that come from?

Someone send him the link cos I can’t be arsed .. if you’ve not seen that last week .. you need seriously ask yourself do you really support saints 🙄

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

53 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Someone send him the link cos I can’t be arsed .. if you’ve not seen that last week .. you need seriously ask yourself do you really support saints 🙄

Sorry, didn’t realise the ‘Scottish Sun’ were the font of all knowledge.

If reading (and believing) the Sun is the criteria to be classed as a supporter, I’ll find another avenue, thanks.

Edited by ErwinK1961
  • Like 4

Did I miss this one..or ?    

Just read an article claiming Dom Ballard had moved (permanently) to Hull City for a fee of 4 million. ?

Two years ago he scored around 30 goals for U18 / U21 sides , but his subsequent loan to Reading ended tragically with a bad knee injury.

Dom and Tyler Dibling were both in the goals that season, and although TD has come on well, I had hoped to see them both back in tandem.

If he has actually gone, we wish him well, but for only 4 mill.. .. I hope we got a good sell-on clause - just in case.

7 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Did I miss this one..or ?    

Just read an article claiming Dom Ballard had moved (permanently) to Hull City for a fee of 4 million. ?

Two years ago he scored around 30 goals for U18 / U21 sides , but his subsequent loan to Reading ended tragically with a bad knee injury.

Dom and Tyler Dibling were both in the goals that season, and although TD has come on well, I had hoped to see them both back in tandem.

If he has actually gone, we wish him well, but for only 4 mill.. .. I hope we got a good sell-on clause - just in case.

Another one of those utterly pointless what if style pieces of “journalism”;

https://www.3addedminutes.com/sport/football/hull-city/hull-citys-game-changing-ps51m-transfer-window-predicted-with-southampton-roma-and-liverpool-deals-4727880

2 hours ago, Pat from Poole said:

Surely we would sign one or the other, not both.

Or most likely, neither…..

You'd hope both, then loan Carvalho back to Liverpool for the season, help them stay up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

Shame to see Dom Ballard go , he did well before his knee injury at Reading and RM was singing his praises , seems we want money in at all costs worrying for the Academy pipeline TBH

Ballard hasn't gone anywhere yet.

see this thread from last week   https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/62688/dom-ballard-in-demand-as-he-looks-to-bounce-back-from-last-seasons-injury.

4 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think what some are concerned about is that rather than spend £15m on two average players that may well be unimpressive at EPL level, why not spend £30m on one outstanding player (by our standards) and utilise Academy youngsters as backup? That’s surely as close to the club philosophy as any other approach.

Exactly, don't waste it on has-beens and squad fillers that will end up as next seasons deadwood that nobody else wants.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stu Man Do said:

Well mostly yes, but it does actually say they've signed Dom Ballard for £4m. If that's true, it seems a real shame as he's a promising player (assuming h he's recovered from his injury) and what's more he's a goalscorer ! 

5 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

Well mostly yes, but it does actually say they've signed Dom Ballard for £4m. If that's true, it seems a real shame as he's a promising player (assuming h he's recovered from his injury) and what's more he's a goalscorer ! 

No it doesn’t, it says they played football manager and shown the signings they made playing it.

“We fire up Football Manager 2024 to assess how the world’s most popular managerial simulation predicts the remainder of the transfer window will play out.”

Journalism was bad enough before, but fck me this is dross.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

No it doesn’t, it says they played football manager and shown the signings they made playing it.

“We fire up Football Manager 2024 to assess how the world’s most popular managerial simulation predicts the remainder of the transfer window will play out.”

Journalism was bad enough before, but fck me this is dross.

I think those FPL transfer predictor pieces are more a running joke than actual journalism. Not that'd i'd rate it that much on the comedy scale. 

10 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

Err Football Manager game

55 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Some interesting transfer snippets in this interview...

Watched this twice checking body language and RM has verbally and non verbally said KWP is going to leave.  

His body language and words were also truthful when he talked about Carvalho and not knowing what was the situation. A variety of shoulder shrugging movements and his talking rhythm and speed confirm that. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Watched this twice checking body language and RM has verbally and non verbally said KWP is going to leave.  

His body language and words were also truthful when he talked about Carvalho and not knowing what was the situation. A variety of shoulder shrugging movements and his talking rhythm and speed confirm that. 

Not sure you needed to be a body language to deduce KWP will leave from that interview.

But if we’re talking body language, you could tell from the final whistle at the playoff final who was likely to go.

I hope we continue to look beyond the inflated domestic markets. Seems there's not even much value in Scotland anymore. If we can't afford to stretch to £20m+, we need to move past O'Rily and Carvalho. We can't afford them. Clearly, we've been scouting in the Netherlands, Belgium, Brazil, Argentina and even Japan in recent years. These are the markets we should be looking at given our limited budget, especially South America.

• Like 1

Meh to carvalho hope we don’t pay silly money for him.. give dibling or Sam amo the game time instead they both look more exciting ,:

Oriley is a much better fit for us as a central midfielder that can contribute to attack.
surely it makes more sense to throw the money at a proper cf rather then spend unnecessary money on wingers  that are debatable if they are better then what we already have 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I hope we continue to look beyond the inflated domestic markets. Seems there's not even much value in Scotland anymore. If we can't afford to stretch to £20m+, we need to move past O'Rily and Carvalho. We can't afford them. Clearly, we've been scouting in the Netherlands, Belgium, Brazil, Argentina and even Japan in recent years. These are the markets we should be looking at given our limited budget, especially South America.

It's the approach Rasmus' experiences will be keen on.

Tap unfancied markets Markets that are becoming so remote, we were probably trying to sign Llama, and got Lallana by mistake.

Take a data led (with scouting) approach to picking up talented bargains, at lower wages to sell on fairly quickly, as they are all that good.

Sadly, it's just us and a ton of other clubs doing it.

I'm all for just hiring a guy to sit in a Parkhead pub and get their scouting gossip.

24 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

i would rather they pay what Celtic want for Oreilly and forget carvalilho ........then loan Ramsdale i would be happy

What if the choice was O'Reily or  Carvalho and Ramsdale? 

25 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

i would rather they pay what Celtic want for Oreilly and forget carvalilho ........then loan Ramsdale i would be happy

RM said "one or two incoming" hopefully before Newcastle. If two, I'd agree. If one, Ramsdale, bought or loaned, would for me be the overwhelming priority.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Hull was a good option. They were building a decent outfit, as we saw ourselves. If he was willing to play in the championship last season, why wouldn't he fancy a Prem gig this? Obviously if he is part of Liverpool's plans he ain't coming, but is he?

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The latter. 

It's a no brainer for me. Carvalho is just the kind of realistic upgrade we need and Ramsdale sorts out our utter mess of a goalkeeping position. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Not sure you needed to be a body language to deduce KWP will leave from that interview.

But if we’re talking body language, you could tell from the final whistle at the playoff final who was likely to go.

Quite right it’s been obvious a while. Just would like to point out that sometimes , in fact quite often, the body of a football manager can contradict what his mouth is saying - if you know where and how and what to look for. And it’s not just scratching his nose! In this instance it did not. 

It’s why police often put parental suspects up for public appeals for missing kids. They film and study the body language afterwards to see if somethings not right. Many lying bad people been caught that way. Not putting RM in that category- though I’ve not seen him answering a RS injury question satisfactorily yet…

3 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Quite right it’s been obvious a while. Just would like to point out that sometimes , in fact quite often, the body of a football manager can contradict what his mouth is saying - if you know where and how and what to look for. And it’s not just scratching his nose! In this instance it did not. 

It’s why police often put parental suspects up for public appeals for missing kids. They film and study the body language afterwards to see if somethings not right. Many lying bad people been caught that way. Not putting RM in that category- though I’ve not seen him answering a RS injury question satisfactorily yet…

I remember his Norwich interviews. Clearly able to believe, and express, things in the face of reality. You're going to have to get closer to your target Agent Gio Starling.

"An interviewer once tried to test me. I ate...his vegan sausages. Right out his lunch box. Because that's my vegan lifestyle. Did I tell you about that...?"

🙂

8 hours ago, BotleySaint said:

We've signed 3 CB's (Harwood-Bellis, Wood, Edwards), a RB and LB (Sugawara/Taylor), DM (Downes), LW (Bereton) and an AM (Lallana). 

So we are clearly stronger than how we finished last season.

But we are basically hoping most of the squad can make the step up.

I don't think that Edwards and woods are better right now but have some potential. We are yet to see if lallana has anything to offer in matches. And I'm not that convinced by taylor at the moment as his experience appears to be at a relegation fighting team who got relegated. And may have come to us as he didn't want to play in championship. It feels the lesson of 2 years ago haven't been learnt on who the team should have and some older experienced players against potential are needed.

1 minute ago, 6ft8saint said:

I don't think that Edwards and woods are better right now but have some potential. We are yet to see if lallana has anything to offer in matches. And I'm not that convinced by taylor at the moment as his experience appears to be at a relegation fighting team who got relegated. And may have come to us as he didn't want to play in championship. It feels the lesson of 2 years ago haven't been learnt on who the team should have and some older experienced players against potential are needed.

As I said elsewhere, he has played over 160 PL games.....that is some experience. As I also said, I haven't seen him play, so have no axe to grind one way or another.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

We really haven't done well with signings from South America in the past. We haven't done much better with signings from Europe in the past apart from the odd one or two. 

8 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

As I said elsewhere, he has played over 160 PL games.....that is some experience. As I also said, I haven't seen him play, so have no axe to grind one way or another.

Exactly. 5 years in the premier league at a club that’s been bottom half means he knows what it’s like to be on a relegation fight. He may have gone down once but he didn’t 4 other times so I see this as a positive rather than us having a load of kids who had barely played first team football before like last time round 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Totally Agree we are low on quality in the squad. 

Do you happen to be aware of what SR’s financial objectives are for this season as opposed to the mid to longer term objectives? 
How rigidly or otherwise they intend to stick to that objective determines how much or how little we will spend. To date, last twelve months I’d say the regime is accountant led not footballing led. Probably rightly so but that’s not what fans want to hear. 

I think the fans just want to hear a direction from SR of any kind. The vague messages we have is they have learnt from mistakes. 

3 hours ago, gio1saints said:

To me, his body language very much suggests that he is desperate to get back to Lucy Pinder tonight.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, iansums said:

To me, his body language very much suggests that he is desperate to get back to Lucy Pinder tonight.

TBF it doesn't take a PhD in psychology to draw that conclusion.