Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

11 hours ago, Saint in Paradise said:

Does anyone worry that with the present goalkeepers Saints will concede 3 or more goals in at least 8 - 10 matches?

No. With our GK’s and some of the defensive options I’m more concerned we concede 8-10goals a time in 3 or more matches. 

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

15m? We've got to get out of this bargain basement mentality, We are still shopping Premier League prices from 20 years ago. 

Can't afford to spend much more. Why don't people understand this simple premise? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

We've signed 3 CB's (Harwood-Bellis, Wood, Edwards), a RB and LB (Sugawara/Taylor), DM (Downes), LW (Bereton) and an AM (Lallana). 

So we are clearly stronger than how we finished last season.

But we are basically hoping most of the squad can make the step up.

We aren't clearly stronger than last season. THB and Downes were here last season. We've lost Armstrong, Brookes, Fraser, Rothwell and Adams, and look to be losing KWP. We are certainly better in defence and DM is the same, but we are nowhere near in attacking positions. Bright spots are that Dibling and SAA will hopefully bring a lot more than they did last year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, saint lard said:

Interesting to see if O’Riley is in the Celtic squad for todays game. 
I strongly suspect he will be. 
but telling if he isn’t. 

He will be as we are not close to the asking price and are assessing other options (loans in and out). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Carvalho is a long term target. Tried to sign him when he left Fulham for Liverpool. Tried to sign him when he went on loan last season. I think he would be a decent signing, certainly one of the best players in the championship in the second half of last season. The reason so choosing Hull over us was guaranteed game time. Think we could have offered him plenty as it turned out.

My concern is if he wants to be here. Having been rejected at least twice so far for alternatives. Ornstein giving the impression that he might be our O’Riley alternative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farmer Saint said:

He will be as we are not close to the asking price and are assessing other options (loans in and out). 

I expect you're right but is that speculation on your part or actual inside information? I haven't seen much to suggest we are looking at loans at this stage. 

Contrast Celtic with saints. Best player in demand- plays every friendly travels to America scores plays well price rising. Our best player hidden in a cupboard price dropping. 
appreciate contract situations differ greatly but can’t think that kwp in the shop window last few matches not going to harm us. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Contrast Celtic with saints. Best player in demand- plays every friendly travels to America scores plays well price rising. Our best player hidden in a cupboard price dropping. 
appreciate contract situations differ greatly but can’t think that kwp in the shop window last few matches not going to harm us. 

Also have to consider protecting the asset. If either break their leg that’s the transfer buggered 

Edited by Badger

Now this is something out of my black mirror

O’Riley plays league match for Celtic today, gets injured then Saints bid of £23M announced as agreed Monday afternoon. 

Textbook latter day Saintsy 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Badger said:

On a similar theme keeping Sulemana and Mara locked in a cupboard might have been a sound policy.

They’d probably have been as effective as well. 

Sulemanas injury is a massive pain in the arse! I was hoping we'd move him on. Hopefully a dumb club still come in for him.

Hopefully we bring in O'Riley and Carvalho or players of similar ability so we can shift out Edozie on loan too.

Edited by SaintsFan86
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Can't afford to spend much more. Why don't people understand this simple premise? 

I think what some are concerned about is that rather than spend £15m on two average players that may well be unimpressive at EPL level, why not spend £30m on one outstanding player (by our standards) and utilise Academy youngsters as backup? That’s surely as close to the club philosophy as any other approach.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Saint in Paradise said:

As some of us on here would like Saints to sign a better quality goalkeeper than those already here.

Does anyone worry that with the present goalkeepers Saints will concede 3 or more goals in at least 8 - 10 matches?

I genuinely don't know or remember this but how many times did this happen with McCarthy last time we were in this league? Come back to me on that and I'll let you know how concerned I am :D 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Badger said:

Also have to consider protecting the asset. If either break their leg that’s the transfer buggered 

KWP is not match fit as a consequence either. So if nobody wants him at the price quoted he cannot play anyways. Or he can but is much more likely to injure himself so it cuts both ways imo. The more frightened of injuries you are the more injuries you get. Lots of players suffer from it  especially “ niggles ” and dare I say we just taken one on board well known for it recently..

Edited by gio1saints

23 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

I totally get it. But we were told by some that the club was fucked if we didn't go up last season, seems we are fucked this season as well despite going up. 

A quick chat with a Celtic friend, and a peek at some forums, and the expectation is that he'll play. I've not seen a line up that he's not in.

Their reasoning is that the club have set out the value. There are plenty of clubs circling, and all capable of paying it. No issues with contract length. So, they just get on with getting as good a start as possible in the league. Tying him up in Euro games might be different.

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think what some are concerned about is that rather than spend £15m on two average players that may well be unimpressive at EPL level, why not spend £30m on one outstanding player (by our standards) and utilise Academy youngsters as backup? That’s surely as close to the club philosophy as any other approach.

Alright, suppose we do this, and we splash out £30million or whatever it takes on Riley (who I assume you are referring to)... and then that's us done...

On 31/07/2024 at 20:25, Saint Fan CaM said:

Not sure I agree - many of that team have played the system before many times…they should know their roles. Fact is, they’re not good enough, although what the fook Manning is doing as a general sweeper/playmaker I don’t know - he’s just not good enough and because they’ve been told to put everything through him it slows the game and we end up passing it backwards…rinse repeat. Let’s hope he puts out a decent team in the 2nd half.

Which of our academy youngsters resolve this issue? Which one addresses the keeper situation you want us to address? Which wide player can we reliably expect goals from? Which academy striker backs up our current strikers? Try answering this and you might just find the answer as to why just splashing all our cash on one player feels a bit riskier than not.

5 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I genuinely don't know or remember this but how many times did this happen with McCarthy last time we were in this league? Come back to me on that and I'll let you know how concerned I am :D 

Good point. I also believe that it’s not just about the GK - playing a high line with two wing backs so far forward that our defence is compromised, is as much to blame.

2 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

A quick chat with a Celtic friend, and a peek at some forums, and the expectation is that he'll play. I've not seen a line up that he's not in.

Their reasoning is that the club have set out the value. There are plenty of clubs circling, and all capable of paying it. No issues with contract length. So, they just get on with getting as good a start as possible in the league. Tying him up in Euro games might be different.

I'm not sure they have any European games before September do they? 

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

I'm not sure they have any European games before September do they? 

I don't know. I just added that bit, as I forgot to ask.

General feeling is that they go through this so often, that they're not going to get fleeced.

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Good point. I also believe that it’s not just about the GK - playing a high line with two wing backs so far forward that our defence is compromised, is as much to blame.

I think we're better organised than we were last time we were in this league. It just feels less so because we do it differently and our defensive organisation is focused with the ball. Anyway, either way, we have just come up via the play offs. We will 100% get pumped at times this season, like every team does at some stage. It won't be a crisis or a reflection of tactics unless it happens repeatedly and consistently. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

15m? We've got to get out of this bargain basement mentality, We are still shopping Premier League prices from 20 years ago. 

We’ve been after him for a while . He’s talked to Russell Martin , We've put a bid in. Do you seriously think this is how it works. We bid 15m ( how do you know that’s all we’ve bid ? ) Liverpool say no and we give up and find another player for £15m ? I’m not saying we are going to get him but I’d be fairly sure we have the funds available if necessary . Same with O' Riley. Celtic fans are still a bit jumpy the club don’t want to be seen to let him go without a "fight ". 

2 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I don't know. I just added that bit, as I forgot to ask.

General feeling is that they go through this so often, that they're not going to get fleeced.

Oh 100% and the longer that at least two teams are interested or can convince everyone there's two teams interested then the longer can they wait. The briefing that came out from Atalanta's side yesterday felt ominous to me. Combined with our weird briefings I'm still not convinced this is happening for us. 

8 minutes ago, manji said:

We’ve been after him for a while . He’s talked to Russell Martin , We've put a bid in. Do you seriously think this is how it works. We bid 15m ( how do you know that’s all we’ve bid ? ) Liverpool say no and we give up and find another player for £15m ? I’m not saying we are going to get him but I’d be fairly sure we have the funds available if necessary . Same with O' Riley. Celtic fans are still a bit jumpy the club don’t want to be seen to let him go without a "fight ". 

Yeah, have some people never heard the term "opening offer" ?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Alright, suppose we do this, and we splash out £30million or whatever it takes on Riley (who I assume you are referring to)... and then that's us done...

Which of our academy youngsters resolve this issue? Which one addresses the keeper situation you want us to address? Which wide player can we reliably expect goals from? Which academy striker backs up our current strikers? Try answering this and you might just find the answer as to why just splashing all our cash on one player feels a bit riskier than not.

Understand your point, but what I’ve described is a hypothetical strategic position and not one involving just one player whether that’s O’Riley or any other. There’s more than  £30m in the pot…not much more perhaps, but certainly more. We’ve seen many times in the past where stockpiling lesser players ends in a relegation scrap…it doesn’t work.

6 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Really surprised we've not seen much interest in some if our "better" players..

I'd assume clubs would be all over KWP, ABK & Alcaraz.

I don't think Alcaraz has as much to offer at the top level as people think. He's wasteful with the ball and just not quite at the level for me. I don't see a huge market for him and I suspect he'll see the season out t here, playing a bit here and there. 

KWP is great, but ask yourself where he'd go in the PL and play regularly. Beyond West Ham I don't see where. I think he'll go abroad. 

As for ABK, I'm not sure who'd give us money for him. If he goes, it'll surely be a loan. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

The issue is we are low on good quality players AND backups. Unfortunately, and I have been banging this drum over and over, we fucked ourselves 2 years ago and weren't strong enough to get promoted and compete financially. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I totally get it. But we were told by some that the club was fucked if we didn't go up last season, seems we are fucked this season as well despite going up. 

Yup, as I said all through the season last year. No one was really talking about finances apart from me and now finally people are catching on. Essentially to make a good fist of the Premier League and be able to spend you need 2 to 3 seasons of little spending, so either consolidated in the Premier League or not a yo-yo club. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We spent about £35 mil and Downes and THB for starters. We’re not exactly scraping the barrel but there will be limits. It sounds like we’re still trying for others too and that’s without any confirmed outgoings of any note.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

The issue is we are low on good quality players AND backups. Unfortunately, and I have been banging this drum over and over, we fucked ourselves 2 years ago and weren't strong enough to get promoted and compete financially. 

Totally Agree we are low on quality in the squad. 

Do you happen to be aware of what SR’s financial objectives are for this season as opposed to the mid to longer term objectives? 
How rigidly or otherwise they intend to stick to that objective determines how much or how little we will spend. To date, last twelve months I’d say the regime is accountant led not footballing led. Probably rightly so but that’s not what fans want to hear. 

Edited by gio1saints

27 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I certainly thought that KWP would be sought after by reasonably sized EPL clubs or abroad. At £15/£20m he is well worth the money. More than happy for him to stay though!

Clubs know we will get desperate re KWP. Someone will get a bargain, I still think Brighton as they were linked earlier in the summer and barely have a senior RB in their squad besides injury prone Lamptey. In the end we will peobs take £10m to avoid him going for free.

ABK we will probs just get loan offers as teams will be wary of his fitness record.

Alcaraz, Sulemana etc the same because if they didnt shine in the Championship nobody is going to be chucking cash to us for them, will be loan with option again.

We are poor at selling because we have been poor at buying (until maybe the last year). Not ideal for a club that is essentially reliant upon sales to fund incomings - especially in the days of PSR. 

We have so few really saleable assets and then always end up letting them get to 1 year left on contracts.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

This is what I don’t get. 
we play with 2 wide men, we pass the ball around sometimes beautifully in the middle of the park seemingly to work a position where the wide man is 1 on 1 with the full back who then attacks him to get to the byline. 
unfortunately there’s nobody in the box remotely capable of attacking the ball and is decent with his head, coupled with the fact that the defenders are facing away from their goal due to it taking an age to get the ball over, making the crosses easy to defend. 
we create next to fuck all  
everything is too slow. 
there’s 2 weeks to go for Southampton Nil. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Yeah, have some people never heard the term "opening offer" ?  

By all means put in an opening offer, but just make it realistic. No way LIverpool are selling him for 15m when they are supposedly looking at selling youth players with less experience for 20m. 

https://twitter.com/worldsoccertalk/status/1819886902083826050

Carvalho scored against Manchester United last night and has generally looked good for Liverpool this pre season with Slot giving him a chance.

A couple of other previous window targets/links in a similar position have also looked good in pre season this summer. Diallo at Manchester United and Bobb at Manchester City.

These are the ones who will probably become available on loan at the end of the window.

53 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

KWP is a shit defender and offers very little in the way of assists 

ABK is made of glass

CA shows promise but must stop giving the ball away in bad areas, nowhere near the finished product. He’s still young though. 

• Haha 5
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, northam soul said:

I know it’s all pie in the sky but O Riley and Carvalho would give us a half decent chance of making a fist of it this season.

Surely we would sign one or the other, not both.

Or most likely, neither…..

50 minutes ago, Matty's Caddy said:

Christ mate, if thats your assessment of him I'd love your feedback on Stephens, Mara and Manning 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

By all means put in an opening offer, but just make it realistic. No way LIverpool are selling him for 15m when they are supposedly looking at selling youth players with less experience for 20m. 

They can look at selling them for whatever they like but doesn’t mean anybody is paying what they want.

£15mil with add ons has been rejected but it’s not unreasonable as a starting bid. 

Fwiw I like Carvalho and think he could do well for us. 

1 hour ago, Matty's Caddy said:

ABK is made of glass

CA shows promise but must stop giving the ball away in bad areas, nowhere near the finished product. He’s still young though. 

This HAS to be a wind up! Well done sir....you got us all going! Great sense of humour.......

• Like 1

SSN

Chelsea are assessing potential replacements should Conor Gallagher leave the club. 

We understand one of several options they are keen on is Matt O'Riley at Celtic

O'Riley has been the subject of bids from Atalanta this summer, and he has further interest from other clubs in the Premier League and abroad.