Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yeah he's completely fallen out with people at Villa. I'd be wary labelling him a trouble maker because one move hasn't worked out though. You could have people saying similar about Fraser. 

You are right, albeit Mcginn’s quotes were mid-season, but yes appreciate you can’t always rely on fans’ opinions especially when a player is departing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

He is not the sort of character that easily endears himself to other people. Something about him?

All that is irrelevant if he manages to get decent results in the Premier League, otherwise his days might be numbered. Predicting his survival beyond Christmas is risky.

He certainly upsets some people some of the time - that’s integral to his job. 

And yes predicting his survival beyond Xmas is risky because people anger counts for something as we’ve seen on the streets lately - so I’ve no doubt he can be readily hounded out given the right set of ( bad) results. But so can ( and will ) any Manager. 

Thing is I suspect many Saints fans cannot but have a ( grudging if needs be) respect for him and feel he has earned the right to play this season in the EPL whichever fucking way he likes. 

Even and especially when so many ( myself included) remain mystified over the stupid fucking around in the penalty area nonsense he obviously encourages. 

He’s got guts that’s for sure love him or hate him. I’m in the love him camp in case you wondered. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally I think we'll do better than we did last time in the Premiership.

Che was a solid player but missed far too many sitters and cost us points as a result.  He was the personification of a streaky player.  I liked him a lot but I think we'll be better team without him.

Even if JWP was offered back to us I would question it.  Fantastic professional, excellent free kicks - not sure if his corners are that productive but maybe that's the absence of a target man.  That said, I would.

But most of all we are a team, with an identity and spirit - certainly we lacked that when we were relegated.

Every year people have the same panic.  It won't change.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Not too disappointed at missing out on Moukoko. His agent seems a bit of a knob and he's got a whiff of Renato Sanches, Moise Kean and Ansu Fati over him. FIFA wonderkids who do nothing in the Premier League, in real life. He'll probably tear up the French league, but it is the French league. Marseille are spending a lot of money this summer, though.

3 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Pretty sure Armstrong missed hell of a lot more big chances than Che did last season. I'm not defending some of his finishing but you're underplaying his contribution massively. I don't know the stats on minutes to goals but I'd hazard a guess that Che had a more than decent return. Sounds like an agenda to me.

Yeah and look how many goal contributions Armstrong DID get.

13 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m going to revive the social media idiots thread tomorrow and just start posting what some absolute fuckwits are saying.

I saw a “Martin Out” comment a few days ago. 😂

"Martin in" on Lucy Pinder's accounts.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

McCarthy

Sugawara, THB, Bednarek, Stephens, Taylor

Downes, Smallbone, Aribo

AA, BBD

Backups: Lumley, Lis, Bree, Edwards, Wood, Manning, Larios, Lallana, Alcaraz, Stewart, Edozie, SAA, Dibling

Probably on their way: Sule, Mara, ABK, KWP, TP, Meghoma

When you see it like that it looks very much like a championship team on paper .. if we play that system it’s hard to pinpoint where the creativity would come from ..

I do think Arma will prove all the doubters wrong from last time we where in the prem I have high hopes he can bring his championship form to the prem this time.

Also really hope Alcaraz can get into Martins plans this season, he was quality at the end of our last season in the prem so we know he’s capable .. just seems russ likes the English core in his team .. but if we give him games he could actually be easily our best creative midfielder 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

When you see it like that it looks very much like a championship team on paper .. if we play that system it’s hard to pinpoint where the creativity would come from ..

I do think Arma will prove all the doubters wrong from last time we where in the prem I have high hopes he can bring his championship form to the prem this time.

Also really hope Alcaraz can get into Martins plans this season, he was quality at the end of our last season in the prem so we know he’s capable .. just seems russ likes the English core in his team .. but if we give him games he could actually be easily our best creative midfielder 

Agreed we desperately need to strengthen otherwise back to the championship we go 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

BBD when he came on during the friendly was playing wide left. If that's where we intend to play him we'll need to source an actual first choice central striker.

I always thought that was the aim. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

BBD when he came on during the friendly was playing wide left. If that's where we intend to play him we'll need to source an actual first choice central striker.

Yeah we seem to really stockpile these wide players . That’s bbd edozie sulemana Sam amo potentially Fraser and we are still looking at others too ..

it’s not really helping in the devolopement of these young players either . Take tella for example was only getting the odd start here and there for us and made little impact (albeit at a higher level) then when he went to a club that plays him week in week out he realised his potential and went to another level .. 

it’s hard with how many wide players  we have for anyone to get the games to do that 

People excited about jack Clarke at Sunderland .. but he was getting all the minutes at Sunderland .. if Sula Sam amo or edozie was week in week out for Sunderland they could probably be just as good Imo 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

He started about half the games before going out on loan. Not sure he did enough to justify more. RM seemed to lose faith in him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

BBD wide left, AA on the right and a new CF through the middle, surely? 

Potentially that's some nice fluidity and goals.... assuming AA keeps his form, and the new CF is decent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

He started about half the games before going out on loan. Not sure he did enough to justify more. RM seemed to lose faith in him. 

Yeah, Russ seemed like he wasn’t happy that Alcaraz didn’t speak good English and it made it hard for him to play in the ways he wanted . 

I feel it’s a shame though if we don’t utilise him .. on the back of the that last premiership season he looked a 30n player and obviously juve wanted him so there’s obviously a ton of potential with him 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Yeah, Russ seemed like he wasn’t happy that Alcaraz didn’t speak good English and it made it hard for him to play in the ways he wanted . 

I feel it’s a shame though if we don’t utilise him .. on the back of the that last premiership season he looked a 30n player and obviously juve wanted him so there’s obviously a ton of potential with him 

Indeed but he was pretty poor in The Championship and awful at Juve. I can't remember who they played but I watched them toward the end of the season and Juve were 3-0 down and drew 3-3 (just in case anyone wants to pinpoint which game it was). Charley came on as a sub and looked absolutely out of his depth.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Saint in Paradise said:

As some of us on here would like Saints to sign a better quality goalkeeper than those already here.

Does anyone worry that with the present goalkeepers Saints will concede 3 or more goals in at least 8 - 10 matches?

We had 7 games last season where we conceded 3 or more. Against top flight opposition defo 8 or more games we concede 3 or more. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, gio1saints said:

He certainly upsets some people some of the time - that’s integral to his job. 

And yes predicting his survival beyond Xmas is risky because people anger counts for something as we’ve seen on the streets lately - so I’ve no doubt he can be readily hounded out given the right set of ( bad) results. But so can ( and will ) any Manager. 

Thing is I suspect many Saints fans cannot but have a ( grudging if needs be) respect for him and feel he has earned the right to play this season in the EPL whichever fucking way he likes. 

Even and especially when so many ( myself included) remain mystified over the stupid fucking around in the penalty area nonsense he obviously encourages. 

He’s got guts that’s for sure love him or hate him. I’m in the love him camp in case you wondered. 

Who cares if some snowflakes don’t like him. It’s a fact you have to be a bit of a weirdo to be succesful in any job. You have to be have belief in yourself, you have to tread a very fine line between getting on with your employees and at the same time instilling some fear. Sure a football manager, businessman will be well paid but the pressure on them must be immense. 
Fuck those fans for some bizzare reason some be looking forward to the team fvcking up so they can feel validated.

Some call me a SR luvvie for cheap laughs. They delivered last season. The pressure is on now things are settled . Plans are in place. Finances are OK The club have promised us a season of consolidation . We’ve been told we aren’t going back into the Premier just to circle the plug hole . 
They’ve backed RM let’s see what happpens and I’m still convinced we will have a decent squad by the time the transfer window closes. 
we aren’t in a position to judge until about 15 or so games have passed.

Im looking forward to this season. It’s going to be fun. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, manji said:

Who cares if some snowflakes don’t like him. It’s a fact you have to be a bit of a weirdo to be succesful in any job. You have to be have belief in yourself, you have to tread a very fine line between getting on with your employees and at the same time instilling some fear. Sure a football manager, businessman will be well paid but the pressure on them must be immense. 
Fuck those fans for some bizzare reason some be looking forward to the team fvcking up so they can feel validated.

Some call me a SR luvvie for cheap laughs. They delivered last season. The pressure is on now things are settled . Plans are in place. Finances are OK The club have promised us a season of consolidation . We’ve been told we aren’t going back into the Premier just to circle the plug hole . 
They’ve backed RM let’s see what happpens and I’m still convinced we will have a decent squad by the time the transfer window closes. 

Manji I take what your saying but wouldn't it be nice to feel the club had done everything feasible to give the team a fighting chance of the step above fighting off relegation. And have the transfer business wrapped up so the team can bond into a well oiled unit a few weeks before the start of the season. 

I hope you're going to be right but we've been here before and been let down by SR and others

• Like 1

The nature of transfer windows is that higher value players we are looking for go later in the window as they are in demand by a lot of clubs similar to us.

That's down to the selling clubs and/or players/agents themselves as they assess their options not the buying clubs.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, manji said:

I think you mean “vindicated”! 
Trouble is by the time these last minute signings (should they come) get up to speed we could well be adrift. But I accept the club are between a rock and a hard place in terms of spending and having to compete with the ultra wealthy is a tough almost impossible gig. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Where did Diblijg play today? Was it through the middle again like a shadow striker role.

Tyler was notable when running down the left wing at one point from a midfield position.

Another notable time he cut in from the inside left area went past a player and hit the crossbar.

At other times he was more central. Gave a cynical shirt tug foul away on halfway line when we lost possession a la will smallbone. 

It’s quite clear he is encouraged / tasked with receiving ball in central third areas of pitch in the main and driving with it to create opportunities. He looks very strong in that regard -- and his driving runs are muscular in that he uses his body strength very well to lean into players - which is very MLT- and already these runs look more regular determined and energised and with better end product than other mf in our team.  

He shrugs off most first challenges and keeps going. Not one to fall over easy -  but maybe in that regard not yet wily enough as he could draw many more fouls otherwise. But his desire to play football not roll around on the floor clutching his face and screaming is a refreshing change for someone who is going to be a target when he plays! 

He can receive with back to goal in relatively crowded areas turn and move forwards quickly - which requires spatial awareness and high tech skill plus speed of thought. These are fantastic attributes for an AMF. He also has a shot on him and is unafraid to do so- two yesterday I think - shooting on target every match he plays - unlike others of our team. 

At the moment just from preseason it’s Stus position he is being lined up for. Which was centre-left midfield attack mostly rather than false nine or shadow nine as you called it- but for me his best roles are - winger or best as an inside forward or probably most likely as an offensive orientated multi  responsibility midfielder in Russell’s total football system. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

The nature of transfer windows is that higher value players we are looking for go later in the window as they are in demand by a lot of clubs similar to us.

That's down to the selling clubs and/or players/agents themselves as they assess their options not the buying clubs.

So many people apparently don't understand this. It's very easy to criticise the club for not getting their business done early in the window, but they will have done all they possibly can by now, and it's simply a case of the players/agents holding out for a better offer from another club before deciding to commit. This is why so many deals don't happen until the last day of the window and it's the same for the vast majority of clubs, not just Saints.

It's frustrating, of course, but it's not a stick to beat SR with. It's simply the way transfer windows work. We have our place in the pecking order, and short of doing a Pompey and spending waaaaaay beyond our means, there's nothing we can do to change that.

• Like 6

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

So many people apparently don't understand this. It's very easy to criticise the club for not getting their business done early in the window, but they will have done all they possibly can by now, and it's simply a case of the players/agents holding out for a better offer from another club before deciding to commit. This is why so many deals don't happen until the last day of the window and it's the same for the vast majority of clubs, not just Saints.

It's frustrating, of course, but it's not a stick to beat SR with. It's simply the way transfer windows work. We have our place in the pecking order, and short of doing a Pompey and spending waaaaaay beyond our means, there's nothing we can do to change that.

I think nearly everyone understands this, not seeing much criticism of the club, just a bit of frustration 

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I think nearly everyone understands this, not seeing much criticism of the club, just a bit of frustration 

Ahem...

7 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

Manji I take what your saying but wouldn't it be nice to feel the club had done everything feasible to give the team a fighting chance of the step above fighting off relegation. And have the transfer business wrapped up so the team can bond into a well oiled unit a few weeks before the start of the season. 

I hope you're going to be right but we've been here before and been let down by SR and others

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I think most supporters understand this, but faith is a two way street for Sport Republic and the fanbase has been pointing to the clear weakness down the spine of this team (keeper through to centre forward) for three or four years.  Last close season the statement from Ankersen and Kraft was they had learned lessons, but they still left glaring holes in the side which would likely have seen us automatically promoted.  Back in May we had Solak - who we have to believe is more on the pulse as his money - reinforcing that further lessons had been learned and recruitment policy would be more diverse.  So far, we've seen some good options arrive, but it's clear we need genuine quality over potential, at the very least an improvement in goal, defensive / creative midfield, and a number 9 type forward.  To a large extent fan frustration and anxiety comes from past performance and experience rather than unrealistic or unreasonable expectations of the owners.  Fingers crossed...    

• Like 5

BTW: Chelsea under Maresca are conceding exactly the same fucking around in the penalty area type goals saints did last season ( and v Oxford). Literally giving opposition free goals and chances like on a death wish. Lost 4-2 to City yesterday and first two goals originated from that. 
I wonder if Chelsea owners are going to be able to handle the fan unrest when they start doing that in the league and give teams free goals every match? Or will CfC - with better players- make the PBF system work for them in the EPL?
 RM is going to be scrutinising them for sure as they both play same way out from the back - but from what Ive seen the Chelsea defence and mf are not convincing if you attack them and press high- just like most teams playing saints will feel we’ve got a penalty area mishap in us at least once per game…

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

BTW: Chelsea under Maresca are conceding exactly the same fucking around in the penalty area type goals saints did last season ( and v Oxford). Literally giving opposition feee goals and chances like a death wish. Lost 4-2 to City yesterday and first two goals originated from that. 
I wonder if Chelsea owners are going to be able to handle the fan unrest when they start doing that in the league and give teams free goals every match. Or will CfC - with better players- make the PBF system work for them in the EPL. RM is going to be scrutinising them for sure but from what Ive seen the Chelsea defence and mf are not convincing if you attack them and press high- just like most teams playing saints will feel we’ve got a penalty area mishap in us at least once per game…

It is a worry. You get the feeling we are going to concede sooo many shitty goals. Will have to hope we have the creativity and firepower to cope. 

We've signed 3 CB's (Harwood-Bellis, Wood, Edwards), a RB and LB (Sugawara/Taylor), DM (Downes), LW (Bereton) and an AM (Lallana). 

So we are clearly stronger than how we finished last season.

But we are basically hoping most of the squad can make the step up.

5 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Saints hope to hold on to KWP after WH pulled out of talks , say Football Insider .

I still don't consider it likely but it would improve our team a lot if it happened. 

Bednarek THB Taylor/Stephens

With Sugawara and KWP as wing backs is not a half bad defence. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, SfcPhil said:

🚨 Breaking: Liverpool have rejected an offer worth up to £15m from Southampton to sign Fabio Carvalho #saintsfc @David_Ornstein

15m? We've got to get out of this bargain basement mentality, We are still shopping Premier League prices from 20 years ago. 

• Like 4