Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We are still shopping in the transfer market 10 years ago. The prices we are looking to pay get not much better than top end Championship players. Which obviously is a massive gamble when you are looking to say in the Premier League 

I hope in future should we stay up this season rather than adding championship players and gambling on youth we signed 2-3 quality players each summer plus a couple of YHGTIers. Got to learn from the mistakes of the past, we were lucky to stay up as long as we did because we replaced good players with crap. You need a core of proven premier league players and blend the others in not rely on them thinking we’re being more clever than anyone else 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

We all wanted Russ to find a keeper, but I’m not sure Lucy Pinder is going to save our season. 

As she's a fan she might point out to him the first choice keeper is shite, if he's loved up he's listening to her !

Come on Lucy, tell him the bleedin obvious ffs. 😂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pat from Poole said:

Presumably we are going to have to wait for Celtic to be knocked out of the Champions League, as has happened with previous signings we have made from them.

That won’t take long.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

Ramsdale , Mctominay , O Riley  and Broja for me .  If we don't bring in this type of quality, then we are not going to stay up in my opinion.  

Can't see the appeal of Broja, a busted flush. The others would be good but beyond our financial capacity. If we can only manage one, give me the goaly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Can't see the appeal of Broja, a busted flush. The others would be good but beyond our financial capacity. If we can only manage one, give me the goaly.

We aren't signing Ramsdale. If we managed to get him it would be on loan. 

23 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Yes please!

Ha. No chance. In any case he Would not be coming as a back up to Flynn.

Without Flynn - yeah can see it - but is there space for two #6’s in our starting 11 team? 

Only If RM wanted to us to be a super pragmatic hard as nuts team to break down in the EPL Atleti Madrid style with him and Flynn in the middle.

Getting GR in the team would be our biggest signing since Keegan! Shame won’t happen. 

Guardian also hinting at interest in Rodriguez in their round-up of available free agents:

Guido Rodríguez

A reigning world and Copa América champion with Argentina who looked set to move from Real Betis to Barcelona, only for the transfer to fall through. Rodríguez is not a flashy midfielder but is intelligent and has been recognised for some time as being one of the best No 6s in La Liga. The 30-year-old has been spun through the rumour mill more than most and could surface in Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Italy or even Southampton, depending on who you believe. 

People bemoaning not spending money makes me laugh - it was why I consistently said that being promoted would not really be a great idea and that we'd start to become a yo-yo team. The only way to stay in the Prem is to do an Ipswich - stay in the Championship or a lower division for a few seasons, re-group with a strong spine, then get promoted with no FFP issues and spend. 

Getting relegated and then being promoted again means you don't have that opportunity. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Guardian also hinting at interest in Rodriguez in their round-up of available free agents:

Guido Rodríguez

A reigning world and Copa América champion with Argentina who looked set to move from Real Betis to Barcelona, only for the transfer to fall through. Rodríguez is not a flashy midfielder but is intelligent and has been recognised for some time as being one of the best No 6s in La Liga. The 30-year-old has been spun through the rumour mill more than most and could surface in Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Italy or even Southampton, depending on who you believe. 

If that means he's anything like Oriol Romeu was during his time with us he'll do for me

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

People bemoaning not spending money makes me laugh - it was why I consistently said that being promoted would not really be a great idea and that we'd start to become a yo-yo team. The only way to stay in the Prem is to do an Ipswich - stay in the Championship or a lower division for a few seasons, re-group with a strong spine, then get promoted with no FFP issues and spend. 

Getting relegated and then being promoted again means you don't have that opportunity. 

Bournemouth and Fulham were yo-yo teams but have managed to stabilise

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Ha. No chance. In any case he Would not be coming as a back up to Flynn.

Without Flynn - yeah can see it - but is there space for two #6’s in our starting 11 team? 

As somebody still in love with the passé 4-2-3-1, I'd be all over it.

And even if we only played with one CDM there'd probably still be plenty of game time for both.

Wasted taps of the keyboard to so much as dream, of course. This one ain't happening.

• Like 6

Ipswich have been out of the top tier for 22 years, no thanks.

• Like 6

What like Bournemouth? Or Fulham? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Yes please!

No transfer fee to worry about. Offer him a generous 2 year contract. Him and Downes would give us a very secure midfield and that is something we are going to need in the Premier League. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Why? £25m asking price and apparently currently on around £60k PW. It’s not a completely outlandish idea. 

He is currently listed as 'without a club' so surely there is no transfer fee involved.

15 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

Credible information or wishful thinking?

Honestly, both. 
It’s quite refreshing to know that when things go quiet it’s because things are being worked on behind the scenes. Not blasted around national media like some clubs have.

It doesn’t mean by any means that it’ll come off, but it’s reassuring that the club see themselves as credible and good enough to compete with a lot of clubs around Europe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

As she's a fan she might point out to him the first choice keeper is shite, if he's loved up he's listening to her !

Come on Lucy, tell him the bleedin obvious ffs. 😂

Does she post on here? Wouldn't surprise me as she's such a big fan, could be a good way of getting a message to Russ. 

Hello Lucy 👋 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Honestly, both. 
It’s quite refreshing to know that when things go quiet it’s because things are being worked on behind the scenes. Not blasted around national media like some clubs have.

It doesn’t mean by any means that it’ll come off, but it’s reassuring that the club see themselves as credible and good enough to compete with a lot of clubs around Europe.

Thanks for the info.

Let's hope we can pull it off and a number of members on this forum can then do the same. Kleenex at the ready

• Like 1

Keylor Navas is the free agent to look at. 37, one year deal. A big part of why Nottingham Forest stayed up two years ago. Was close to signing with Monza, but that's apparently collapsing.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, saintant said:

No idea but we should be competing with West Ham for Rodriguez. 

Established team with a big name manager means we have no chance in a straight fight.  Unless WHU are signing him as a squad player, which seems unlikely, or we blow them out of the water on wages, which seems even more unlikely...

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Does she post on here? Wouldn't surprise me as she's such a big fan, could be a good way of getting a message to Russ. 

Hello Lucy 👋 

Hello 💋

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Honestly, both. 

In the last few weeks we've briefed Alfie House specifically that if we don't get Matt O'Riley it will be because of personal terms and then not because of personal terms. Refreshing.

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Keylor Navas is the free agent to look at. 37, one year deal. A big part of why Nottingham Forest stayed up two years ago. Was close to signing with Monza, but that's apparently collapsing.

Maybe not conclusive, but when they thrashed us in the relegation season, he looked absolutely fucking terrible. Every set piece we had he flapped and gave us genuine hope. I'm therefore a massive 'no thanks'.

24 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Established team with a big name manager means we have no chance in a straight fight.  Unless WHU are signing him as a squad player, which seems unlikely, or we blow them out of the water on wages, which seems even more unlikely...

I wonder what the likes of McCarthy and Lallana are earning. Maybe we need to be less sentimental and more ruthless when dividing up the salary budget. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Hello Lucy 👋 

Well, there were a few "Russ can do no wrong" posters that surfaced last season.... Make of that what you will... ;) 

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Well, there were a few "Russ can do no wrong" posters that surfaced last season.... Make of that what you will... ;) 

I 'pinned' it down to Manji, given his love for all things Sports Republic

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Interest in Molde midfielder Petter Rudi according to Dagbladet. 

Sheff Weds also keen.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

He is a 50 year old scout

This content is worth the £5 yearly forum charge alone (& possibly for the next 10 years) 😂 

• Like 2

I’ve got a feeling the Lamine Camara signing from Metz deal is tied up with Shea Charles moving to Celtic to sweeten the O’Riley deal. 

I think he would not be put off that Flynn plays his position and would accept- aged 20- that he has to earn his stripes in the EPL. Shea on the other hand will be eager to play every match- which he would at Celtic under big fan of his Brendan, but not necessarily so at Saints. And O’Riley is a Russ prime target to get at the end of this chain. 

If that comes off massive result all around. 

Edited by gio1saints

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

I’ve got a feeling the Lamine Camara signing from Metz deal is tied up with Shea Charles moving to Celtic to sweeten the O’Riley deal. 

I think he would not be put off that Flynn plays his position and would accept- aged 20- that he has to earn his stripes in the EPL. Shea on the other hand will be eager to play every match- which he would at Celtic- but not necessarily so at Saints. And O’Riley is a Russ prime target to get at the end of this chain. 

If that comes off massive result all around. 

Unfortunately, that boat has sailed.

https://www.asmonaco.com/en/lamine-camara-is-monegasque/

Edited by Disco Stu