Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Brandon Thomas-Asante, whose name was mentioned as a rumour on here recently, has been sent to Coventry.

Screenshot_20240801_194301_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.334b4236445fff52253603b31cae1106.jpg

very good acquisition for them in fairness.

Can’t get behind the Rak-Sakyi links whatsoever.

What a way to cement the lack of pathway for Dibling/SAA who have looked brilliant in preseason, than by spending decent money on another unproven talent. Rak-Sakyi has the benefit of having a senior loan move, of course, but I’d find this a really underwhelming move.

We’ve brought in some good depth so far, other than in holding midfield. The end of this window has to be 3/4 starting quality players.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

What a way to cement the lack of pathway for Dibling/SAA who have looked brilliant in preseason, than by spending decent money on another unproven talent. Rak-Sakyi has the benefit of having a senior loan move, of course, but I’d find this a really underwhelming move.

We’ve brought in some good depth so far, other than in holding midfield. The end of this window has to be 3/4 starting quality players.

Bizarre comment. As I said previously, bringing in an established an experienced winger in SAA's position would make it less likely that he gets a game than if we bring this bloke in. Bringing in someone equally inexperienced would be seen by them as a good thing because they will be more likely to get on the pitch and compete with someone of similar age and experience.

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Bizarre comment. As I said previously, bringing in an established an experienced winger in SAA's position would make it less likely that he gets a game than if we bring this bloke in. Bringing in someone equally inexperienced would be seen by them as a good thing because they will be more likely to get on the pitch and compete with someone of similar age and experience.

Think your logic is bizarre. A big money signing of their age would both long and short term exclude opportunities/competition.

a loan or a veteran like Fraser i’d assume would be preferable from their point of view would be preferable as it at least offers much more a window of opportunity down the line.

9 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Think your logic is bizarre. A big money signing of their age would both long and short term exclude opportunities/competition.

a loan or a veteran like Fraser i’d assume would be preferable from their point of view would be preferable as it at least offers much more a window of opportunity down the line.

Disagree. Plenty of opportunities for lots of games for both players at this stage of their careers. We need a strong group of players not just a good starting 11. There's no sign that SAA and sibling are going to have their. Pathway blocked and actually a fair bit of evidence this preseason to suggest the opposite. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure I understand that logic personally. Think it’s more detrimental to the kid if we go and put out a significant outlay on somebody with the similarities of Rak-Sakyi to himself.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Not sure I understand that logic personally. Think it’s more detrimental to the kid if we go and put out a significant outlay on somebody with the similarities of Rak-Sakyi to himself.

Hopefully he has more faith in himself. SAA has already been told that if he stays with us this year he will be backup and will have opportunities to maybe work his way into the team. That won't change with someone else coming in. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

On 01/08/2024 at 21:43, Oh no Mick Mills said:

Think Coventry paid about 8m for him. 

16 goals in the Championship last season. 

Banged in the goals in the Turkish Prem the previous two seasons...6ft 3..

Ok 👍 12m, but not a cent more and only if he has 1+ years left of his contract with the sky blues.
I like him. Quick feet, moves the ball forward with ease and has great vision. To be fair Coventry should have been promoted in stead of Luton Town. 

Edited by Kristian Loekkegaard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Nobody’s pathway is getting blocked at Saints this season, we lack genuine quality and depth all over the park. If you can’t get into the team ahead of a ‘really underwhelming’ player signed from elsewhere, then you don’t deserve to be in it at all.

Im not sure which of our signings constitute ‘good depth’ either. We’ve signed two that we’re already here last season, got like for like replacements for Che and KWP and signed a couple of unproven CBs from Champ/L1.

• Like 1

Wright was linked when we played aggressive, front footed football. We need a different profile now.

I'm also unconvinced we have a LWB option if we go for that shape. Taylor seems to be preferred as a LB or LCB and someone like Edozie would get exposed if asked to do that role in a PL game.

2 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Dream GK would be Ortega.

If we're dreaming that big then let's get Lunin. He was fantastic for Real Madrid last season in the absence of Courtois, but he won't be unseating Courtois as number 1.

He's in the last year of his contract. Perhaps, if we can't find the money to buy him, Real could sign him to a new deal and then loan him to us to put him in the shop window in England and prove he can do it in the PL.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think we’re well in for O’Riley too, that relationship with Russell Martin could prove huge.

Newcastle are being twattish with Fraser.

Not too worried if we don’t sign Fraser.

He was good for us last season, but I doubt he would have much impact in the Prem.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think we’re well in for O’Riley too, that relationship with Russell Martin could prove huge.

Newcastle are being twattish with Fraser.

Presumably we are going to have to wait for Celtic to be knocked out of the Champions League, as has happened with previous signings we have made from them.

22 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I read on here a couple of months ago that there was no chance of him leaving Utd and/or coming to us....

Screenshot_20240801_231630_Facebook.jpg

Think he is a better player than most give credit for. Would take him over the Celtic fella.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I read on here a couple of months ago that there was no chance of him leaving Utd and/or coming to us....

Screenshot_20240801_231630_Facebook.jpg

Yeah, there is still no chance of him coming to us. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ally_uk said:

Always rated Mctominay exactly the sort of player we need. No nonsense bit of bollocks tough tackling.... would give us some grit and steel in midfield. 

10 goals from Midfield last season too.

11 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Ah, you're changing the goalposts now.  First it was he didn't have that forward pass and now it's a combination of doesn't do it enough/told to play that way.  Tell you what, you make up your mind which it is and I'll get back to you.

Tell you what, when you write something that’s remotely interesting I’ll get back to you.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ally_uk said:

Always rated Mctominay exactly the sort of player we need. No nonsense bit of bollocks tough tackling.... would give us some grit and steel in midfield. 

I don't really know how good he is on the ball, but that bite is just what we lack.

7 hours ago, ally_uk said:

51 minutes ago, Chez said:

I don't really know how good he is on the ball, but that bite is just what we lack.

Grit - tick

Steel - tick

Bite - tick

Cliché bingo - complete

Edited by Dusic

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

We all wanted Russ to get find a keeper, but I’m not sure Lucy Pinder is going to save our season. 

It’ll make getting the sack a few months in easier to take, though.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Ramsdale , Mctominay , O Riley  and Broja for me .  If we don't bring in this type of quality, then we are not going to stay up in my opinion.  

Feel like you’re going to be disappointed! What’s that ? At least another 70 million spend. Broja has done nothing since he left us either think he’s a busted flush.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Ramsdale , Mctominay , O Riley  and Broja for me .  If we don't bring in this type of quality, then we are not going to stay up in my opinion.  

You realise that's at best 80 million? Even if Ramsdale is a loan? 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Easy peasy. Not sure why the club can't just do this tomorrow.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Yeah, there is still no chance of him coming to us. 

I didn't say there was. Apparently a few months ago there was no chance of him leaving Utd. If he did, there was no chance that he would come to a club like us, but it seems that suddenly he could go to a club like Fulham....

45 minutes ago, Stu Man Do said:

Feel like you’re going to be disappointed! What’s that ? At least another 70 million spend. Broja has done nothing since he left us either think he’s a busted flush.

He’s not the type of target forward we need either, and have done since Pelle. We’ve got AA and BBD now coming in from wider areas, but lacking that focal point, and Che wasn’t really it either, he’s a second striker in a two up, although we were worse when he didn’t play. Broja is still living off that loan spell with a serious injury inbetween. Let someone else help Chelsea with their FFP issues.

Ramsdale is obvious though, unless Arsenal want a £10m loan fee or something absurd. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

43 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

You realise that's at best 80 million? Even if Ramsdale is a loan? 

Nearer 100m. Arsenal want £30m for Ramsdale, same for McTominey from United, Someone already bid £25m for Broja, O’Riley will likely cost north of £20m too. Just get it done FFS

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Broja?! get real man. He is a shadow of his former self after that injury. His physical attributes have declined and his confidence is through the floor. He needs to go to the championship (or similar) to try and resurrect his career. He's nowhere near good enough to carry a poor team over the line to survival. The love in for him is mad, the only thing he's done at this level was a short purple patch at saints in a very specific tactical setup.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Nearer 100m. Arsenal want £30m for Ramsdale, same for McTominey from United, Someone already bid £25m for Broja, O’Riley will likely cost north of £20m too. Just get it done FFS

We are still shopping in the transfer market 10 years ago. The prices we are looking to pay get not much better than top end Championship players. Which obviously is a massive gamble when you are looking to say in the Premier League 

• Like 1