Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

6 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

What, like the pass Smallbone made for Armstrong to score in the play off final?  Front facing killer pass like that?

That’s true - he has it in him perhaps, but think about the number of times that happens as a percentage of all the passes he makes…it’s a very low number. Why do you think he doesn’t do that more? I think it’s because they’re conditioned to always look for the perfect pass and don’t position themselves in a way to create enough chances. The emphasis is on possession…not chance creation.  Great management saying - ‘don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good’.

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

That’s true - he has it in him perhaps, but think about the number of times that happens as a percentage of all the passes he makes…it’s a very low number. Why do you think he doesn’t do that more? I think it’s because they’re conditioned to always look for the perfect pass and don’t position themselves in a way to create enough chances. The emphasis is on possession…not chance creation.  Great management saying - ‘don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good’.

Ah, you're changing the goalposts now.  First it was he didn't have that forward pass and now it's a combination of doesn't do it enough/told to play that way.  Tell you what, you make up your mind which it is and I'll get back to you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

If the 1st team stays as is we can expect the type of bad performances and results from last season, but amplified in goals against and frequency. Last night I watched several attempts from Arma and Charly to run between defenders and no-one took a chance to thread a ball through, preferring instead to re-cycle the ball backwards or sideways. Then we had Manning attempting to be some kind of Declan Rice, but with no spacial awareness of what’s around him or more importantly what’s in front of him.  He’s just too Poundland to have the skills to operate in that position or any position in the Prem. McCarthy is a disaster waiting to happen, which means a defence lacking belief.

Many of the players in possession don’t look around them or get a call from a team mate to turn and pass the ball in the opposite direction to that which they received the ball…that is they only seem to pass for the sake of passing in the direction they are initially facing. Consequently the ball gets passed backwards or sideways ad infinitum. The lack of creativity is frighteningly poor, with Alcarez being the one bright spark. Sulemana and Edozie have no end product…Tyler is a little the same, but at his age/experience he can be cut some slack. Mara is just a waste of a shirt.

With all the talk of spending millions on the next best attacking forward, I do wonder why the club don’t push to offer a better deal to KWP and put him in front of Suga. He can terrorise defences with his mazy runs and can shoot very effectively coming in from the right. Might actually save a few £’s.

In summary, huge amount of work to do and the new season is just around the corner.

I agree with you re KWP playing forward of Suga.
He has all the skills of a forward and some defensive nous.
However unless KWP agrees to an extended deal he has, very unfortunately, to be sold to release transfer funds.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I agree with you re KWP playing forward of Suga.
He has all the skills of a forward and some defensive nous.
However unless KWP agrees to an extended deal he has, very unfortunately, to be sold to release transfer funds.

If he stays, which I doubt, unless we hold out for a ridiculous amount,  I think playing him there would be a good idea but i think if Suga shows he is up to it KWP would be played on the left. 

6 hours ago, Saint-Reece said:

You don’t half post some shit, which for this place, is quite impressive! 

At least I post rather than attack other users and che and Mara were both shit for every goal I'm sure they have fluffed 5+, some of them sitters 

Does anyone else think KWP is too good to drop and keep out the team until the window closes? Leaving him out of friendlies is self harming Saints basically. 

If he is fit he is arguably our most exciting attacking player - and has to play v Newcastle? 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Does anyone else think KWP is too good to drop and keep out the team until the window closes? Leaving him out of friendlies is self harming Saints basically. 

If he is fit he is arguably our most exciting attacking player - and has to play v Newcastle? 

If he's still available against Newcastle, he must play because he's our best player.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Not really. Russ has said more than once that if our valuation is met then he'll be sold. That couldn't really make it clearer that we need to sell him, so as the window goes on I suspect that valuation will be reduced until someone buys him. Management know that one way or another he won't be here this season, so there's no point playing him or planning for having him. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Midfield_General said:

Not really. Russ has said more than once that if our valuation is met then he'll be sold. That couldn't really make it clearer that we need to sell him, so as the window goes on I suspect that valuation will be reduced until someone buys him. Management know that one way or another he won't be here this season, so there's no point playing or planning for having him. 

Thats a fair assessment BUT they didnt apply that to JWP last season.

3 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Thats a fair assessment BUT they didnt apply that to JWP last season.

Yep, fair point. Personally I love him and until he's actually gone I would love to think that there's a place for him in the side, even if Yuki is now clearly our first choice RB. But he's not injured as far as I know, so I can't think of any other possible reason for not involving him. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Ah, you're changing the goalposts now.  First it was he didn't have that forward pass and now it's a combination of doesn't do it enough/told to play that way.  Tell you what, you make up your mind which it is and I'll get back to you.

Changing the goalposts? Certainly not going to help McCarthy……….unless they’re moved closer together. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Pwoite said:

Changing the goalposts? Certainly not going to help McCarthy……….unless they’re moved closer together. 

Perhaps we could just brick up the whole between the posts

Best players

GK...AmC. need an upgrade!

LB...Taylor, Manning, kids. 👍 

RB...KWP (if stays), Sugawara. 👍 Bree. Not so good if KWP goes in terms of back up.

CB...Bednarek, THB 👍. Edwards. High potential. Stephens, okish back up. Wood. Doesn't look great so far. Ideally (unlikely) get rid of Stepehns and get someone better than the lot of them!!

CM....Downes 👍 Charles, not great. Smallbone, average. NEED SOMEONE ELSE

AM....Alcarez 👍 Smallbone?? Dibling, looks good. Lallana, happy eith him as sub. NEED SOMEONE BETTER THAN ALL OF THEM

WINGERS/FRONT PLAYERS

Edozie 👍 Sulemana, jury out. 

Armstrong 👍 BBD 👍 SAA 👍 

STRIKERS

Stewart. Hopefully comes good as I think he can. Armstrong 👍 BBD 👍 Mara, get rid.

NEED AN OUT AND OUT STRIKER

So my take on our situation is that we need players in these positions that are BETTER than we have.

GK- Ramsdale 🤞🤞🤞

CM - 🤔

AM - O'Riley still available but who knows 

STRIKER - 🤔

CB - I'd take Gomez from Liverpool. But someone with good experience or huge potential. 

I still expect us to get Fraser back too. 

So far a good window, and a bottom 6 team, need 4 or 5 quality signings / loans to push further.

11 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Best players

GK...AmC. need an upgrade!

LB...Taylor, Manning, kids. 👍 

RB...KWP (if stays), Sugawara. 👍 Bree. Not so good if KWP goes in terms of back up.

CB...Bednarek, THB 👍. Edwards. High potential. Stephens, okish back up. Wood. Doesn't look great so far. Ideally (unlikely) get rid of Stepehns and get someone better than the lot of them!!

CM....Downes 👍 Charles, not great. Smallbone, average. NEED SOMEONE ELSE

AM....Alcarez 👍 Smallbone?? Dibling, looks good. Lallana, happy eith him as sub. NEED SOMEONE BETTER THAN ALL OF THEM

WINGERS/FRONT PLAYERS

Edozie 👍 Sulemana, jury out. 

Armstrong 👍 BBD 👍 SAA 👍 

STRIKERS

Stewart. Hopefully comes good as I think he can. Armstrong 👍 BBD 👍 Mara, get rid.

NEED AN OUT AND OUT STRIKER

So my take on our situation is that we need players in these positions that are BETTER than we have.

GK- Ramsdale 🤞🤞🤞

CM - 🤔

AM - O'Riley still available but who knows 

STRIKER - 🤔

CB - I'd take Gomez from Liverpool. But someone with good experience or huge potential. 

I still expect us to get Fraser back too. 

So far a good window, and a bottom 6 team, need 4 or 5 quality signings / loans to push further.

:lol:

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

If we do not accept an offer by 30/8 then KWP will need matches to get match fit. More self harm for saints.
He must surely get minutes in preseason - unless transfer is imminent. 

Playing someone we’ve already replaced seems like bigger self harm in the long run.

Borussia Dortmund are looking for €15-20m for Youssoufa Moukoko this summer. Southampton, Girona, Betis , Sevilla, Real Sociedad, FC Villarreal, and Stade Rennes are interested #saintsfc @SkySportDE

Youssoufa Moukoko’s agent Patrick Williams has announced his client is planning on leaving Dortmund this summer, “Now we are sounding out interest from England, Spain and France”. #saintsfc [FabrizioRomano]

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Borussia Dortmund are looking for €15-20m for Youssoufa Moukoko this summer. Southampton, Girona, Betis , Sevilla, Real Sociedad, FC Villarreal, and Stade Rennes are interested #saintsfc @SkySportDE

Youssoufa Moukoko’s agent Patrick Williams has announced his client is planning on leaving Dortmund this summer, “Now we are sounding out interest from England, Spain and France”. #saintsfc [FabrizioRomano]

Dreamy, but not going to happen. He’ll end up somewhere like Villa.

6 hours ago, OldNick said:

No I'm living in my world where if you cant afford it you cant have it. Just as this player has done well i Scotland it doesn't mean he will do well in the PL. How many of the upper PL clubs are after him? Or is he such a secret we've been incredibly brilliant in finding him? He has a worth and Rodgers is always going to say its not enough, christ do you think hes going to say whoa Saints have offered too much, its negotiation. IMO if he has a choice he will choose Atalanta for lifestyle is the package is similar

As I said Celtic are now at the stage where they have received 25m for the last two record signings .. they are hardly gonna sell someone rated much much higher for less are they?

meanwhile we are still spending similar fees to what we where ten years ago whilst the rest of the league has moved on even clubs like Brighton and Fulham have higher record fees..

funny thing is we don’t mind spending the extra few millions that could make a difference to buy players for goztepe

33 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

The more I hear about Moukoko the less enthused I am.  He's considered one of the hottest young strikers in Europe, but if no one better than the teams touted are interested there must be either a serious issue with his development to the men's game or serious attitude/behavioural issues.  If they only want c€20m as well that makes me even more uneasy 

6 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

The more I hear about Moukoko the less enthused I am.  He's considered one of the hottest young strikers in Europe, but if no one better than the teams touted are interested there must be either a serious issue with his development to the men's game or serious attitude/behavioural issues.  If they only want c€20m as well that makes me even more uneasy 

What makes you think we'd be able to sign someone considered one of the hottest young strikers in Europe who doesn't have some issues? That's why we'd have any sort of chance. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Dreamy, but not going to happen. He’ll end up somewhere like Villa.

The only way I can see it is if we “Livramento” him and tell him he’s going to play in the prem — which he would. 

46 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

As I said Celtic are now at the stage where they have received 25m for the last two record signings .. they are hardly gonna sell someone rated much much higher for less are they?

meanwhile we are still spending similar fees to what we where ten years ago whilst the rest of the league has moved on even clubs like Brighton and Fulham have higher record fees..

funny thing is we don’t mind spending the extra few millions that could make a difference to buy players for goztepe

Agree, from what we've seen so far, SR is not prepared to back us to give us a realistic chance of staying in the Premier League. As ever there is talk that we are after high quality players at reasonable prices but we always seem to miss out on them. We then end up paying less for players many of who end up being a total waste of money. Maybe we just don't have the budget to compete with other teams of our standing or it's something to do with FFP restrictions. Whole month to go I know but I am getting the usual vibes this pre-season.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

We aren't signing Moukoko. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What makes you think we'd be able to sign someone considered one of the hottest young strikers in Europe who doesn't have some issues? That's why we'd have any sort of chance. 

I agree completely that's the only way we'd have a chance, but it'd be a huge gamble.  There are recent examples of youngsters who have been massively hyped signing for lower end PL clubs - Moise Kean for Everton was a disaster and Gnonto for Leeds.  Gnonto has been ok for Leeds TBF.

Guess it's no different to any striker we sign, they're all going to be a gamble

Just now, SaintsFan86 said:

Have you seen him play then Maverick?

Not really but if he was any good he'd be playing for Palace.

Or at a higher level than League One.

If we're not making signings which are upgrades on the starting XI at this point, then what's the point?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

If we're not making signings which are upgrades on the starting XI at this point, then what's the point?

Like Harry kane at the same age you mean? 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, saintant said:

Don't think we'll be getting another player who operates on the wide left.

Spent most of the second half of the la liga season as a CF and banged in a few in that role.

4 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Oh okay, I was hoping for some insightful information. Nevermind. 

I don't think Palace want to sell him to us anyway, they want him to get game time in the championship. I reckon that's a good indication how good they think the player is.

4 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Not really. Russ has said more than once that if our valuation is met then he'll be sold. That couldn't really make it clearer that we need to sell him, so as the window goes on I suspect that valuation will be reduced until someone buys him. Management know that one way or another he won't be here this season, so there's no point playing him or planning for having him. 

There must come a point where if no decent offers are received, it would make more sense to retain him. Rather like Che last season…..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

There must come a point where if no decent offers are received, it would make more sense to retain him. Rather like Che last season…..

Maybe, but having already replaced him, and with him in his final year, I’d have thought that any fee was better than letting him for nothing. Could of course be wrong though, and selfishly I’d love to get one more season out of him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

Maybe, but having already replaced him, and with him in his final year, I’d have thought that any fee was better than letting him for nothing. Could of course be wrong though, and selfishly I’d love to get one more season out of him. 

I wonder how much we'd be willing to spend on a loan for a player of his ability?

Göztepe  has agreed a deal with Southampton for Mateusz Lis.

The keeper will join the fellow Sport Republic owned club within 15-20 days, if not immediately.

Göztepe’den sevenler birbirinden ayrılmıyor, kaleye yeniden Lis geliyor!

👉Göztepe’de taraftarın ve camianın büyük bir özlemle beklediği kaleci Mateusz Lis’in geri dönüşünün gerçekleşeği ve yeni sezonda da Göztepe’de oynayacağı öğrenildi.

👉Southampton ve Göztepe’nin Lis konusunda anlaştığı, başarılı eldivenin hemen olmasa bile 15-20 gün içinde takıma dahil olacağı gelen bilgiler arasında.

may I be the first to welcome Ramsdale. 

Edited by saint lard
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's felt like an age since we had a credible link. Come on saints pull your fingers out. 

O'Riley, Rak-sakyi and Fraser all seem like they are 'live'.

Ramsdale will remain a fantasy signing until the window closes.

Alternatively we turn to Banza, Asprilla and Sara. Job done.

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

O'Riley, Rak-sakyi and Fraser all seem like they are 'live'.

Ramsdale will remain a fantasy signing until the window closes.

Alternatively we turn to Banza, Asprilla and Sara. Job done.

No positive updates on any of them for ages. I was hoping for a bit of business this week beyond Diaz who we knew about a while ago.