Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Some of the posts with regards to former players and how they left the club are cringeworthy. They're not your ex-girlfriend they're an asset to the club and they can choose to leave. Get over it they were never going to shag you.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, swannymere said:

Some of the posts with regards to former players and how they left the club are cringeworthy. They're not your ex-girlfriend they're an asset to the club and they can choose to leave. Get over it they were never going to shag you.

I’d say not wanting them back IS getting over it, TBH.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Should we be in for Kalvin Phillips on loan from Man City?

Our future can't be built upon 36 yo pension seeking ex-players...

The lad needs a rebuild for sure but not sure about the wages

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

22/23 Thigh problems Jan 22, 2023 Apr 14, 2023 82 days Brighton & Hove Albion12
22/23 Calf injury Aug 26, 2022 Sep 28, 2022 33 days Brighton & Hove Albion3
21/22 Hamstring injury Mar 12, 2022 Apr 1, 2022 20 days Brighton & Hove Albion2
21/22 Hamstring injury Jan 14, 2022 Jan 22, 2022 8 days Brighton & Hove Albion2
21/22 Leg injury Dec 1, 2021 Dec 14, 2021 13 days Brighton & Hove Albion2
20/21 Groin strain Jan 3, 2021 Jan 26, 2021 23 days Brighton & Hove Albion4
20/21 Groin strain Dec 28, 2020 Jan 1, 2021 4 days Brighton & Hove Albion1
20/21 Groin strain Nov 29, 2020 Dec 15, 2020 16 days Brighton & Hove Albion2
20/21 Groin strain Nov 22, 2020 Nov 27, 2020 5 days -
18/19 Knock Apr 1, 2019 May 31, 2019 60 days Liverpool FC10
18/19 Knock Jan 6, 2019 Jan 18, 2019 12 days Liverpool FC2
18/19 Knock Nov 9, 2018 Dec 4, 2018 25 days Liverpool FC4
18/19 Groin strain Sep 4, 2018 Oct 19, 2018 45 days Liverpool FCEngland9
17/18 Hamstring injury Mar 31, 2018 May 13, 2018 43 days Liverpool FC11
17/18 Hamstring injury Jul 31, 2017 Nov 25, 2017 117 days Liverpool FCEngland27
16/17 Hamstring injury Mar 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017 31 days Liverpool FC5
16/17 minor knock Nov 17, 2016 Dec 1, 2016 14 days Liverpool FC3
16/17 Groin strain Sep 29, 2016 Oct 17, 2016 18 days Liverpool FCEngland4
15/16 Calf problems Feb 11, 2016 Feb 25, 2016 14 days Liverpool FC3
15/16 Thigh problems Aug 24, 2015 Sep 17, 2015 24 days Liverpool FCEngland6
14/15 Groin injury Mar 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015 31 days Liverpool FCEngland6
14/15 Hamstring injury Jan 1, 2015 Jan 19, 2015 18 days Liverpool FC4
14/15 Knee injury Jul 24, 2014 Sep 1, 2014 39 days Liverpool FC3

He’s being lined up for an important back room role, keeping Ross Stewart company. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Should we be in for Kalvin Phillips on loan from Man City?

Our future can't be built upon 36 yo pension seeking ex-players...

Agree, much better to build it on a 28 year old who has done fuck all for 2 seasons and is looking for another pay day. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Clarke from Sunderland, Calum o’hare available on a free, Szmodics Blackburn 

all players that cook in the championship but can they make the step up? 

Every time I watch O'Hare (admittedly only about 6 times) I see a wonderful little footballer that drifts into pockets of space and links the play beautifully. He has a great first touch and a little like Lallana, controls the ball brilliantly while on the move to enable the attack to flow at pace. You have to have the right formation for him to work, and Cov certainly did. Not sure we do, although we seem to have become a little more fluid in the last month or two.  Not sure we are flush with cash, so a free transfer would be a nice pick up. 

I've only seen Clarke four times and apart from the game when they stuffed us, he has underwhelmed a little to be honest. Good ability, but a little lightweight. Great potential, but not sure he is ready for the Prem next season.  

Edited by Chez

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

The problem we have with Downes is that if we want him, we'll have to wait. Can we afford to go into pre-season with only Charles as a DM whilst we bide our time for Downes (a move which could ultimately not happen if they want to keep him)? Personally I'd be bringing in another DM or CM that can play DM anyway even if the move for Downes proves fruitful long term.

Agree. And RM simply didn't trust Charles, and that was in the championship. He was far too lethargic and some of his passing was woeful. He's young, but whether he will improve enough between now and September for RM to trust him against better and more ruthless opponents is debatable.  He needs to be loaned out and an upgrade made in that position.      

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chez said:

Every time I watch O'Hare (admittedly only about 6 times) I see a wonderful little footballer that drifts into pockets of space and links the play beautifully. He has a great first touch and a little like Lallana, controls the ball brilliantly while on the move to enable the attack to flow at pace. You have to have the right formation for him to work, and Cov certainly did. Not sure we do, although we seem to have become a little more fluid in the last month or two.  Not sure we are flush with cash, so a free transfer would be a nice pick up. 

I've only seen Clarke four times and apart from the game when they stuffed us, he has underwhelmed a little to be honest. Good ability, but a little lightweight. Great potential, but not sure he is ready for the Prem next season.  

I’ve not seen much of him but he does seem to have ability and on a free transfer could be a cracking signing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I’ve not seen much of him but he does seem to have ability and on a free transfer could be a cracking signing. 

Hamer at Sheff United might be another option if we are looking for that small, technically good link up player to play in the hole. I think he did OK in the Prem. I wonder what his relegation contract clause might look like.  

I thought you were more of a tried and tested Prem player fan? I guess it's not easy to attract those types as a newly promoted club. We had our chance to go for that type two seasons ago and went City youth team instead.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Hamer at Sheff United might be another option if we are looking for that small, technically good link up player to play in the hole. I think he did OK in the Prem. I wonder what his relegation contract clause might look like.  

I thought you were more of a tried and tested Prem player fan? I guess it's not easy to attract those types as a newly promoted club. We had our chance to go for that type two seasons ago and went City youth team instead.  

I am in positions like keeper and centre back. I think for a club like us you need an experienced spine and blend in young, hungry, guaranteed to improvers around them. For example we’d been crying out for an experienced centre back for years before our relegation someone to organise the back four but instead of bringing one in we wasted near on £60m on crap like Vestergaard, Hoedt and Salisu hoping one of them would become the new Van Dijk. 

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I wonder if links to miovski will resurface or if he's not good enough now. 

I wondered the same about Lawrence Shankland. 

18 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

We are interested in Matt O'Reilly. 😇

14 minutes ago, waylander said:

Do you mean Matt O'Riley of Celtic?

Are we really? Or riley? or reilly?

He has had a good season, and Celtic were expecting interest. Lots of attributes we like.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

He has had a good season, and Celtic were expecting interest. Lots of attributes we like.

Think we were linked last summer due to him starting at MK with Martin. Since then he's become a regular at Celtic, and will have a few higher profile clubs after him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Appy said:

Lallana is a sensible signing, probably as a player/coach, from his time under Potter/De Zerbi etc at Brighton he’ll be used to a similar style to us and is a good squad option on not much money, not really arsed with how he left, it was ten years ago, move on. 

For me he'd be the perfect signing to get "the wall" going, imagine 6000 packed in the Northam end swaying, hands in the air, he plays on the left , he plays on the riiight, Adam Lallana makes Messi look (is Messi retired now?) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, JRM said:

For me he'd be the perfect signing to get "the wall" going, imagine 6000 packed in the Northam end swaying, hands in the air, he plays on the left , he plays on the riiight, Adam Lallana makes Messi look (is Messi retired now?) 

🤮 

38 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

orly_owl.jpg

nowai.jpg

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

We are interested in Matt O'Reilly. 😇

ORLY?

Edit: should have read the rest of the thread before replying.

Edited by benjii

44 minutes ago, Badger said:

Think we were linked last summer due to him starting at MK with Martin. Since then he's become a regular at Celtic, and will have a few higher profile clubs after him.

We are the traditional next step for Celtic starlets though.

Sounds like a good fit especially with the Russell Martin link - too perfect.

• Like 3

Has anyone like Swiss Ramble taken a punt at working out what we could potentially spend this summer? I know our last published accounts showed a loss of about 87m but that wouldn't have included the Lavia/Tino/JWP/Tella money (which I think ended up being about 150m?)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

O’Riley would be great but Celtic want silly money, understandably.

They don't very often get "silly money", though - think what we have given them over the years.

Apparently the £12m we paid for Wanyama ten years ago is still quite high on their record fees received. We gave them even less for Virgil.

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

They don't very often get "silly money", though - think what we have given them over the years.

Apparently the £12m we paid for Wanyama ten years ago is still quite high on their record fees received. We gave them even less for Virgil.

I agree. Considering they paid less than £2mill for him, a couple of seasons in the scottish prem isn't suddenly going to make him worth "silly money"

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I predict that by the 3rd of July this thread will be over 100 pages.

The volume of links I'm seeing today is crazy.

Great isn't it. Makes a change from all the links of our players leaving. 

Edited by hypochondriac

3 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Hope him and Rothwell go back to Bournemouth.

I’d like to hope we’re aiming a lot higher than some of the names being touted so far. Lallana, Ings, Romeu, Brooks, Antonio… that’s the makings of a mid-table championship team, with a large wage bill and an even larger injury list.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There's a 'latest transfers' thread in the Guardian and good to see THB as an entry, but it's also interesting the released players who are now free agents. I've no idea of the standard of some of them - I noticed Anthony Martial of Manchester United and Wissam Ben Yedder of Monaco - so maybe worth keeping an eye on? As long as we're not paying.

At least we haven't got Les Reed around now to insist on paying Monaco £19m for him..

I can't back the Lavia or Phillips claims.

Lavia's clearly a very good player and in our relegation season we were over reliant on him. However, he was injury prone during that season and since his move to Chelsea his injuries have only gotten worse, missing a whole season. We need someone who can actually step out onto the pitch and is dependable for our first season back.

As for Phillips. Pre-Bielsa Phillips wasn't very highly thought of at Leeds, then Bielsa got his hands on him and the rest is history... He had a very good Euros with England also, but since his move to City he has reverted to a bog standard player, like only Bielsa knew how to use him, Guardiola couldn't suss out how to and his loan to West Ham was a horror show. Let Everton pay the expense of his Man City wages as they aren't going to be low as I can't see him being much of a success here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

🤮

Only thing that would make it worse is 1885 group unveiling a welcome home banner 

• Like 3