Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

8 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

I wouldn't pay 25 million for that celtic lad..... let's not be silly here 

Well.....
He is in the form of his life.  If we end as 10 in the table and can sell him for 40 in 2 years --- 25+ is a fine investment.
We have to trust the club if we come up with a silly offer. Personally I would be really happy if we get him.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Paul.Studio said:

Personally, forget O'Riley -  if the only person we get is Aaron Ramsdale to the end of the window (loan or loan to buy) then I will be happy!

You'll be happy with us not sourcing an Ings replacement for the 4th season in a row....? #easilypleased ;)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paul.Studio said:

Personally, forget O'Riley -  if the only person we get is Aaron Ramsdale to the end of the window (loan or loan to buy) then I will be happy!

Agreed! the goaly is the key, now that we've got a striker

Just now, Dellyears said:

Agreed! the goaly is the key, now that we've got a striker

By my definition of "striker" we haven't yet signed a new PL level striker... 

(Striker = centre forward)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

You'll be happy with us not sourcing an Ings replacement for the 4th season in a row....? #easilypleased ;)

Did you know we've signed Ben Brereton Diaz?   

3 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Did you know we've signed Ben Brereton Diaz?   

I'd have argued we needed a striker if Che had stayed, but without Che we need two. BBD is a good start, he's more of a fluid attacker across the 3 I'd say - we do lack a proper number 9, I'm completely discounting Mara and Stewart as viable options.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd have argued we needed a striker if Che had stayed, but without Che we need two. BBD is a good start, he's more of a fluid attacker across the 3 I'd say - we do lack a proper number 9, I'm completely discounting Mara and Stewart as viable options.

Stewart needs to be seen as that 20minute a game player if he can even manage that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

I wouldn't either. If I'm being asked to fund the side you're all going to have to cheer on your team of subbuteo players. Happy to sacrifice club success for my own personal stinginess. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

its ok ChatGPT says that we should bid under it 

"Southampton should consider bidding between £20 million to £22 million for Matt O'Riley. Here's the reasoning:

Starting below the asking price: While Celtic has set a £25 million price tag, it's common in football transfers to start negotiations below the asking price.

Show serious intent: By bidding over £20 million, Southampton would demonstrate that they're serious about the transfer and value the player highly.

Room for negotiation: This bid leaves some room for negotiation, potentially allowing Southampton to meet Celtic halfway if needed.

Consider add-ons: Southampton could structure the deal with a base fee of around £20 million, plus performance-related add-ons that could potentially reach or even exceed Celtic's asking price. This approach can make the deal more palatable for both clubs.

Respect the selling club: While trying to get a good deal, Southampton should also be careful not to lowball Celtic, as this could sour negotiations.

Player's desire: If O'Riley is keen on the move, it could help Southampton in negotiations."

• Like 2

and how it rates his playing style 

He appears to be a versatile and technically gifted midfielder with several key attributes:

Playmaking and Vision:

O'Riley is known for his key passes, which is listed as one of his strong characteristics. [1]
He possesses inventive passing skills, suggesting he has good vision and creativity on the ball. [2]

Technical Ability:

He likes to do layoffs, which indicates good close control and the ability to link up play effectively. [1]
O'Riley's composure in front of goal is noted, suggesting he's comfortable with the ball at his feet in high-pressure situations. [2]

Work Ethic:

He's described as having a tireless work ethic, which is crucial for a modern midfielder. [2]
This work rate likely contributes to his effectiveness both in attack and defense.

Adaptability:

O'Riley seems to fit well into different tactical systems. He was attracted to Celtic partly because of the style of play under manager Ange Postecoglou, indicating his ability to adapt to a specific playing philosophy. [2]

Goal Scoring Ability:

While primarily a midfielder, O'Riley has shown a knack for scoring goals. In a recent match against Rangers, it was noted that he had scored his fourth goal in six league games, demonstrating his ability to contribute offensively. [3]

Mental Attributes:

Former coaches praise his mental attributes, suggesting that these qualities will take him far in his career. This likely includes aspects like decision-making, reading of the game, and mental toughness. [4]

Development Potential:

Given the praise from his former coaches and his rise through the ranks, O'Riley appears to have significant potential for further development. [4]
In terms of comparing his style to other players, based on these characteristics, O'Riley seems to play like a modern, all-round central midfielder. His combination of technical skills, vision, work rate, and goal-scoring ability is reminiscent of players like Kevin De Bruyne or Bernardo Silva, albeit at a different level of competition.

It's worth noting that O'Riley's style seems to be particularly well-suited to teams that emphasize possession-based, attacking football, given his technical skills and ability to create chances. This could explain why he's attracted interest from teams like Southampton, especially considering their manager Russell Martin's preferred style of play.

• Like 2

I would say what we need as a minimum from now is:

- Striker

- Wide forward

- Attacking mid (O'Riley or similar)

- Centre mid (Charles not favoured so need Downes cover that isn't WS)

- Goalkeeper (loan having assumed Lis goes)

After that full back cover which would depend on possible exits for Bree (not PL quality) and Manning (would probably be exposed) having taken KWP exit as a given. Wellington perhaps LB cover if he arrives before Jan.

I am also expecting exits (probably on loan) for Sulemana and Alcaraz with Fraser likely to come in as a cheap squad filler.

Anyone disagree with that?

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

- Striker

- Wide forward

After that full back cover which would depend on possible exits for Bree (not PL quality) and Manning (would probably be exposed) having taken KWP exit as a given.

I am also expecting exits (probably on loan) for Sulemana and Alcaraz with Fraser likely to come in as a cheap squad filler.

I don’t really see the need for another wide option - BBD, ArmA, SAA, Edozie, Dibling, maybe Lallana. I’d even say Stewart is probably more of a wide forward if he ever appears. We still also have Sulemana (hopefully not for much longer). You can argue if that’s enough quality, but there’s definitely enough bodies.

Striker really concerns me as it has ever since Ings decided he was off. GK is weak.

But the other pressing concern is midfield. Last year we played with three, and at present we have just Downes, Charles, Smallbone, Aribo and Alcaraz. Possibly Lallana and Dibling. (Cam Bragg isn’t going to step up this year now).

None of those can tackle, only two of them can sit (and Charles isn’t favoured), 3 of them are attacking midfielders at best. There is basically only 3 people capable of playing the midfield set up we favoured last year.

Unless we move to 343/532 we’re seriously light here.

That said, the squad was so far off being remotely competitive before the window opened that I don’t want this to sound like a moan. We had loads to do with financial restrictions so all to be expected and some of the additions look promising and exciting.
Getting ABK, Tall Paul, KWP, Sulemana and possibly Mara, Bednarek (contract) and Alcaraz moved on will obviously be key to plugging the rest of the gaps.

All IMHO.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

image.thumb.png.6d8e83335c2fb8918324cb4811b94881.png

Probably couldn't afford about 6-7/10 of these. Lewis Miley maybe whenever Newcastle need another PSR workaround at any point down the road, Garner if Everton get relegated so not now, Svanberg maybe and Bourigeaud would be pushing it both money and age wise, Camara just got signed to Monaco so he's off the list. There's the dutch guy Sem Steijn who I've mentioned previously who is not listed here

Edited by V.Johnathan.Wilson
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dusic said:

- Striker

- Wide forward

After that full back cover which would depend on possible exits for Bree (not PL quality) and Manning (would probably be exposed) having taken KWP exit as a given.

You won’t be seeing another wide forward, Bereton-Diaz one side, Armstrong the other (if we sign a central striker). The other 4 yes but I’ve got a terrible feeling McCarthy is their number 1 choice and any Lumley/Lis replacement will be a reserve keeper.

Edited by beatlesaint

Fulham grab another 

https://x.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1818704302422053154?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1818704302422053154|twgr^9c0c742ea8ce25350c9d56033e29b55a6209852c|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theforum365.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FFabrizioRomano%2Fstatus%2F1818704302422053154

EXCLUSIVE: Fulham agree deal to sign Spanish CB Jorge Cuenca from Villarreal, here we go! Deal in place for 24 year old defender to join Fulham, one more signing after Emile Smith-Rowe. Cuenca, set to travel for medical and sign five year deal until June 2029. 

34 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Don’t be silly!! Just think of the experience he can impart on the training ground or something 

I know we have been over this already, but why exactly did we sign him? Where and when is he going to be selected? I don't really understand the signing. We already had a passer in Smallbone. Have we bought his understudy? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I know we have been over this already, but why exactly did we sign him? Where and when is he going to be selected? I don't really understand the signing. We already had a passer in Smallbone. Have we bought his understudy? 

Like all the other answers to the hypothetical questions in this thread I suppose we'll find out in a few weeks time...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Hope Lallana's contract is pay to play or it will most likely be a total waste. 

Like I've said in other posts, his value will mostly be on the training pitch and his sharing of his experience which cannot be underestimated. Of our current squad he has the most in that regard. He is clearly a coach in the making and we will benefit from him for sure, even if on the outside it looks like he's not contributing alot on Match day on the pitch. I think he's a very good signing.

Edited by MarkSFC
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Like I've said in other posts, his value will mostly be on the training pitch and his sharing of his experience which cannot be underestimated. Of our current squad he has the most in that regard. He is clearly a coach in the making and we will benefit from him for sure, even if on the outside it looks like he's not contributing alot on Match day on the pitch. I think he's a very good signing.

I heard Alfie House on TSP say that he's personally taken ownership of Sam Amo & Tyler Dibing's development to help them out.

Invaluable resource for them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

- Striker

- Wide forward

After that full back cover which would depend on possible exits for Bree (not PL quality) and Manning (would probably be exposed) having taken KWP exit as a given. Wellington perhaps LB cover if he arrives before Jan.

I don't see us getting rid of Alcaraz and Sulemana on loan and then bringing in another wide attacking player for a fee. Both those players can do a job when motivated.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OldNick said:

Are you the Chancellor of the Exchequer

6 hours ago, StDunko said:

We're you involved in covid PPE contract negotiations on behalf of the Conservative Party?

I think you guys and the club are living in the days of wayback like it’s still 2013 where we could take celtics best players for 12m etc.

ceitic have recieved 25m each for tierney and jota and oriley is rated higher then both  and their best prospect since VVD so why do you think they are gonna accept our stupid bids that are nowhere near his value ??

There was a chance of getting this deal done as Atalanta were also trying to seriously underpay and we have the Martin connection 

would you rather we lose out on our top target whilst we mess about trying to rip off Celtic.? If we rate him that highly pay the going rate instead of having to buy bargain basement replacements 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I heard Alfie House on TSP say that he's personally taken ownership of Sam Amo & Tyler Dibing's development to help them out.

Is that not RMs and the fully qualified and experienced coaching team's job?  I thought we brought nivea boy here to play? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Both off to Liverpool next summer then.

• Haha 3

I think this evening we’ve seen why Saints should push - very hard - to get O’Riley over the line. We desperately need his creativity and goals. Otherwise BBD and any other potential forward will be stood around waiting for a chance that never comes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I think you guys and the club are living in the days of wayback like it’s still 2013 where we could take celtics best players for 12m etc.

ceitic have recieved 25m each for tierney and jota and oriley is rated higher then both  and their best prospect since VVD so why do you think they are gonna accept our stupid bids that are nowhere near his value ??

There was a chance of getting this deal done as Atalanta were also trying to seriously underpay and we have the Martin connection 

would you rather we lose out on our top target whilst we mess about trying to rip off Celtic.? If we rate him that highly pay the going rate instead of having to buy bargain basement replacements 

What bids have we made? You have absolutely no idea.

Edited by ErwinK1961

9 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

What bids have we made? You have absolutely no idea.

Was supposed to be 14million originally wasn’t it ?  Maybe up to 18 now.. what I do know is we are still obviously nowhere near and Rogers has even  came out saying that 

1 minute ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Was supposed to be 14million originally wasn’t it ?  Maybe up to 18 now.. what I do know is we are still obviously nowhere near and Rogers has even  came out saying that 

According to who? It’s just guess work and hyperbole. For all we know, O’Riley made it clear weeks ago that he’d rather join Atalanta. 

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Righty oh - then why are we paying him to play? Coaches do not earn what he does. Anyway it’ll all become apparent in the d next few weeks. Hope he’s up to it because if he doesn’t perform on the pitch I’ll be more than wondering when he will turn things around on the training pitch (assuming that is not RM ‘s role).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

On the contrary, I think Lallana’s so called value on the training pitch has been massively overestimated. These aren’t a bunch of kids playing their first PL season, this is just Walcott 2.0.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Sub cover / stand in across a number of midfield roles.

Leadership qualities

Big club experience to help players and staff

Looking to develop as a coach, so will be assisting there too.

Free transfer

Useful for the squad. But I'd like to think the club are looking at a Stu replacement, and someone else to cover Downes (unless Charles is serious first team competition).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

On the contrary, I think Lallana’s so called value on the training pitch has been massively overestimated. These aren’t a bunch of kids playing their first PL season, this is just Walcott 2.0.

Walcott did ok in a terrible team