Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 hours ago, ally_uk said:

I'm the same I think 25 Million+ is a bit steep I'd rather the money go on a decent striker 

If we do end up doing that he's got to deliver straight away and make it last across the whole season. Its a big ask for someone who's never played at this level 🤷‍♂️. Thats not to write him off, but its risky. Maybe i've just been burned by too many Sulemana, Carillo, Boufal, Lemina style signings over the years. We've certainly spent fortunes on lots of players that never really paid back the investment.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Appy said:

Juventus bidding for Koopmeiners of Atalanta, could be a knock on for O’Riley. 

Very much so. Atalanta want €60m. Juve offering €45M. 
Koopmeiners is highly regarded in Italy as a CM ( obviously more than Soule or Charlie for example who the first they sold and Charlie gave us back) and O’Riley considered a good - but not their only - option as an alternative.

That Atalanta only gone to c €17M smacks of not seriously bidding too much until they get the Koopmeiners deal sorted.

We could still get him. But it’s tight and odds against imo right now. Unless our negotiators get inspired! 

O'Riley might be great but it seems a bit emperors new clothes to me. He had a very good season last year in a weak league with a team that dominate it. The two season before that weren't great and before that only played at league one level. He's only played twice for Denmark and didn't make their Euro squad. He might be great but he seems to only be a "WE HAVE TO SIGN HIM" because everyone is saying we have to

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

O'Riley might be great but it seems a bit emperors new clothes to me. He had a very good season last year in a weak league with a team that dominate it. The two season before that weren't great and before that only played at league one level. He's only played twice for Denmark and didn't make their Euro squad. He might be great but he seems to only be a "WE HAVE TO SIGN HIM" because everyone is saying we have to

Yeah, I just wonder how much time the club will spend on him before moving on to other targets? I've never seen him play so I dont know how good he is but players from Scotland are very much a hit or miss, we've had some great ones but weve had some rubbish as well......Neil McCann anyone ?  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Can anyone confirm if he is better than Stuart Armstrong? If we'd broken the transfer record on him rather than spend £8m or whatever it was, I wonder how he would have been regarded by Saints fans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Can anyone confirm if he is better than Stuart Armstrong? If we'd broken the transfer record on him rather than spend £8m or whatever it was, I wonder how he would have been regarded by Saints fans.

People I work with in Edinburgh reckon he is best player in SPL

• Like 4

Whenever a player touted as our big/main signing of any particular window seems to drag on (for weeks after first link) I think it rarely happens. It's clear he has other suitors, and as I've stated already, I believe if we are to get him it needs to/will happen this week. The reason I think that is that this delay indicates that one party at leastis not settled on the idea; either we are limiting our bid (which indicates we don't hold him "that highly or important"), or he is not completely sold on the idea (which is clearly not great), or Celtic are playing hardball (which will just drag it out further and probably create a bidding war). 

All this delay tends to dampen the excitement of this potential. We certainly need a player of a higher level in the attacking midfield area, and if MO proves to be we shall see but I cant help thinking we have moved on already (caveat, it happens today or tomorrow🤣🤣).

25 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Yeah, I just wonder how much time the club will spend on him before moving on to other targets? I've never seen him play so I dont know how good he is but players from Scotland are very much a hit or miss, we've had some great ones but weve had some rubbish as well......Neil McCann anyone ?  

A £25m McCant. Just imagine.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

People I work with in Edinburgh reckon he is best player in SPL

doesn't doesn't count for a great deal... 

He looks really handy from the highlights and stats, but he didn't make it into the Denmark squad for the latest euros....

56 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

If we do end up doing that he's got to deliver straight away and make it last across the whole season. Its a big ask for someone who's never played at this level 🤷‍♂️. Thats not to right him off, but its risky. Maybe i've just been burned by too many Sulemana, Carillo, Boufal, Lemina style signings over the years. We've certainly spent fortunes on lots of players that never really paid back the investment.

…or we failed to get the best out of them beacuse our coaches were crap? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, charliemiller said:

What happened to Tammy Abrahams did he sign for anyone

SSN report

Tammy Abraham is open to signing for AC Milan from Roma this summer, according to Sky in Italy. 

The former Chelsea striker is a top target for new Milan head coach Paulo Fonseca. 

Roma and Milan have not had any contact yet for the 26-year-old. 

Abraham suffered an ACL injury in June 2023 and only made his return to action in April. 

https://www.givemesport.com/english-clubs-highest-transfer-income-last-10-years/

English Clubs' Transfer Income Since 2015/16

Position

Club

Transfer Income (£)

Chelsea

£1.15bn

Manchester City

£849.7m

Liverpool

£586.4m

Everton

£546.8m

Leicester City

£505.6m

Southampton

£494.6m

Tottenham Hotspur

£455.9m

Aston Villa

£448.4m

Manchester United

£409.7m

West Ham United

£408m

Wolves

£394.5m

Brighton

£382.7m

Arsenal

£342.4m

Watford

£318m

Newcastle United

£297.8m

Leeds United

£259.1m

Nottingham Forest

£219.5m

Norwich City

£209.4m

Brentford

£196m

Burnley

£190.9m

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mr X said:

20 million doesn't get you a lot nowadays as we found out with sullemana and tall paul 

Depends on how you use the 20, I would be surprised if there weren't any quality players suited to ball playing systems who's contracts are running out in 2025 or 2026. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkSFC said:

That does not mean he is better than S Armstrong is/was!!!

I know I can sound like I'm against Stu, but I just can't see how he is seen as a high threshold for an attacking midfielder.

Seemed a good guy, some good direct runs and a few good goals but often lazy, light weight and made poor decisions. How often in prem did he give the ball away in our half, then just watch as we had to defend?

Last few seasons in prem

2 goals, 1 assist

2 goals, 0 assists

4 goals, 5 assists

5 goals, 3 assists 

3 goals, 2 assists

Last season in championship he did a bit better with 5 goals, but Smallbone managed 6.

I am optimistic that if we went with Smallbone in that role he could manage a couple of goals and assists.

If we spend on a new AM it will be because they are confident he is a significant upgrade on Stu.

• Like 5

On 30/07/2024 at 07:03, HKsaint said:

I don’t mind we take back JWP our legend at a half of the price that we received.  

West Ham is a small club with small supporters. Never liked their wannabe attitude and arrogance. And the 44 years I supported Saints the Hammers have been much less present in the best league of the country than Saints have. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

…or we failed to get the best out of them because our coaches were crap? 

How many have gone on to achieve great things after leaving saints?

Boufal went on to an average spell at Angers and is now rotting in the middle east

Carillo was garbage before we signed him and has maintained that level ever since including a spell in China

Lemina has by contrast actually done ok, bit of a jouneyman but has played at a decent level, hardly set the world on fire and still seems to have the same crappy attitude that plagued his time at Saints.  He frustrates me massively because I think if he had his head screwed on properly he would be playing for a top 6 team but he just doesn't want it enough.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Celtic want €29Million for Matt O'Riley.

Atalanta are putting together a €25Million bid.

Has any creditable journo commented on us actually making any bids? Only mention of us that I’ve seen has been from the likes of The Sun, nothing reputable. Romano has seemed to only suggest Atalanta and that he wants to move there.

I think the deal is too pricey for us (certainly until we’ve sold some of the dross / KWP) and we’re not in the picture.

11 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

I don't think we'll be getting O'Riley unless we can get some money together from sales, which could be the delay after the purchases of THB, Downes, BBD etc. 

I wonder if we'd expected to have money for KWP by now to fund it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I watched him a lot last season quality player. Celtic fans called him a younger fitter Stuart Armstrong. When he was left out of Denmark squad there was a major social media campaign in Denmark even threatening the Danish manager. 
He is very much Stuart Armsromgish but better. 
I don’t get the "of course he looks good he plays in the Scottish Premier"  Van Dyke did fine. Even Steve Davis did a job for us good leader on the pitch he was past his best when we signed him as well. 

O’Riley a great player and really grounded his parents act as his agents. I’ve even seen interviews with them. They seem decent people, they live in London and I’m confident they wouldn’t want him moving out of the UK

Just an aside his dads in a rock band 

https://videocelts.com/2022/12/blogs/latest-news/watch-matt-orileys-rock-and-roll-dad-launch-his-christmas-video/

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ecuk268 said:

Ha ha, I watched a handful of Totton games last season. 

I thought Austin was older than he is, he's 34.  Scored 14 from 46 appearances with Swindon last season.  I've just Youtubed a few of his Swindon goals and he can still get about a bit.  I wonder what they're paying him.  

We are so tinpot .. type of. Club that would go into Poundland and offer 40p for stuff . Just give Celtic the damn 25 mil they want and stop messing around.. whilst we sod about Atalanta have now had time to get more money 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

We are so tinpot .. type of. Club that would go into Poundland and offer 40p for stuff . Just give Celtic the damn 25 mil they want and stop messing around.. whilst we sod about Atalanta have now had time to get more money 

If only it was that simple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waylander said:

SSN report

Roma this summer, according to Sky in Italy. 

The former Chelsea striker is a top target for new Milan head coach Paulo Fonseca. 

Roma and Milan have not had any contact yet for the 26-year-old. 

Abraham suffered an ACL injury in June 2023 and only made his return to action in April. 

Everton interested too, apparently.

Edited by Southner

54 minutes ago, manji said:

I watched him a lot last season quality player. Celtic fans called him a younger fitter Stuart Armstrong. When he was left out of Denmark squad there was a major social media campaign in Denmark even threatening the Danish manager. 
I don’t get the "of course he looks good he plays in the Scottish Premier"  Van Dyke did fine. Even Steve Davis did a job for us good leader on the pitch he was past his best when we signed him as well. 

O’Riley a great player and really grounded his parents act as his agents. I’ve even seen interviews with them. They seem decent people, they live in London and I’m confident they wouldn’t want him moving out of the UK

https://videocelts.com/2022/12/blogs/latest-news/watch-matt-orileys-rock-and-roll-dad-launch-his-christmas-video/

I had a sniffy approach to the Scottish League. But our own successful recruitment from there, put that to bed. Also, the recruitment there is working hard to unearth even cheaper gems than perhaps even we would have gone for. They can't afford to make too many mistakes, and we get the benefit of that.

Brentford have lost their new £32m striker Igor Thiago to a knee injury, not expected to play until 2025 following surgery

Edited by CSA96

4 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Brentford have lost their new £32m striker Igor Thiago to a knee injury, not expected to play until 2025 following surgery

Puts Brentford in a bit of a pickle, especially with Toney willing to run down his contract. 

May try and get Toney sold now to fund one or two replacements.

Sports mole says Arsenal are now amenable to a short term loan for Ramsdale because nobody wants to pay the silly money they want - with Forest interested- as well as Saints. 

Given that Ramsdale would only leave to be #1 and that AM would be a good back up to Raya at Arsenal and can play PBF a bit too - so Arteta would be reassured - and from player perspective AM would prob get medals at end of season plus likely get to play a lot of cup matches including CL,  I don't see why we could not suggest swop our first choice for their second choice for a year and see how it goes.

Is relying on Lumley and Lis as back up goalies that much of negative compared to the big positive of acquiring a direct upgrade top keeper? Essentially just wages differential for a year to pay. It’s unlikely but not an impossible line of approach for our negotiators. 

Edited by gio1saints

1 hour ago, West end Saints said:

I know I can sound like I'm against Stu, but I just can't see how he is seen as a high threshold for an attacking midfielder.

Seemed a good guy, some good direct runs and a few good goals but often lazy, light weight and made poor decisions. How often in prem did he give the ball away in our half, then just watch as we had to defend?

Last few seasons in prem

2 goals, 1 assist

2 goals, 0 assists

4 goals, 5 assists

5 goals, 3 assists 

3 goals, 2 assists

Last season in championship he did a bit better with 5 goals, but Smallbone managed 6.

I am optimistic that if we went with Smallbone in that role he could manage a couple of goals and assists.

If we spend on a new AM it will be because they are confident he is a significant upgrade on Stu.

What Stu offered us that perhaps doesn't show in his stats was like an injection of energy and go forward.  He was happy to receive the ball on the turn in a tight space in midfield and then run with it, effectively getting the whole team back on the front foot.  I know nothing of O'Riley but hope whoever we get brings that.  Charley Alcaraz is the nearest we have to that skill set.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

What Stu offered us that perhaps doesn't show in his stats was like an injection of energy and go forward.  He was happy to receive the ball on the turn in a tight space in midfield and then run with it, effectively getting the whole team back on the front foot.  I know nothing of O'Riley but hope whoever we get brings that.  Charley Alcaraz is the nearest we have to that skill set.

Dibling a bit like that too

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ecuk268 said:

I for one am sure that 'modest Charlie' will be a great lad to have around a non-league dressing room, and absolutely won't act like a complete knob giving it the big one and decimating any team spirit they may have 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

I was just about to write the same, but you have put it better than I could. Stu's value to the team was always much greater than the bald stats and is why he will be a loss to the team going forwards. I'm sure we went something like 2 seasons when the only games we won, were when Stu was in the team. and his ability to break lines was key to this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Are you the Chancellor of the Exchequer

2 hours ago, West end Saints said:

Last few seasons in prem

2 goals, 1 assist

2 goals, 0 assists

4 goals, 5 assists

5 goals, 3 assists 

3 goals, 2 assists

Still pretty good value for £8m no?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Dibling a bit like that too

I hope so, but haven't seen enough.  Dibling reminds me most of a young Le Tiss - another one of those would be very handy this season

29 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

I was just about to write the same, but you have put it better than I could. Stu's value to the team was always much greater than the bald stats and is why he will be a loss to the team going forwards. I'm sure we went something like 2 seasons when the only games we won, were when Stu was in the team. and his ability to break lines was key to this.

And he had great hair

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

We're you involved in covid PPE contract negotiations on behalf of the Conservative Party?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, manji said:

I don’t get the "of c:lol:ourse he looks good he plays in the Scottish Premier"  Van Dyke did fine. Even Steve Davis did a job for us good leader on the pitch he was past his best when we signed him as well. 

His dad's song is giving me bradley walsh vibes, read the article and his parents moved with him to Glasgow cos the music scene is good there.

"When Matt moved to Celtic, we decided to move to Glasgow too. The music scene here is just like it was in the 1980s in London, and it just gets you going again"

Couple of years old but a really good scouting report on him https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/matt-o-riley-at-celtic-202223-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

Edited by Convict Colony