Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, Dman said:

If we let Charles go, we'll need to replace him. His replacement will need to be good enough to fill in when needed (Downes injury record is questionable) but have an acceptance that all being well, they'll be on the bench for 90% of games. 

Better the devil you know imo. I'd keep Charles... 

The Daily Record are reporting Charles has rejected any move to Celtic. 

If true, it's a shame as it would of been a great sweetener to get O'Riley over the line and a chance for Shea to get some decent minutes

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

If true, it's a shame as it would of been a great sweetener to get O'Riley over the line and a chance for Shea to get some decent minutes

It is hard to take the article seriously or credible when it says "Charles would be an ideal direct replacement for O'Riley".

Shea Charles is a holding midfielder who sits in front of the defence. In no way is he even close to a 'direct replacement' for O'Riley.

If they can't get the basics right, why trust them on anything?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/celtic-transfer-news-oriley-charles-33357740

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It is hard to take the article seriously or credible when it says "Charles would be an ideal direct replacement for O'Riley".

Shea Charles is a holding midfielder who sits in front of the defence. In no way is he even close to a 'direct replacement' for O'Riley.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/celtic-transfer-news-oriley-charles-33357740

In fairness the article is about how wrong their transfer window could go, I’m not sure it’s saying he has rejected them.

As you say though I doubt Charles is being lined up to score 20 goals for Celtic haha

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stu Man Do said:

In fairness the article is about how wrong their transfer window could go, I’m not sure it’s saying he has rejected them.

As you say though I doubt Charles is being lined up to score 20 goals for Celtic haha

If he has rejected a move to Celtic, who can blame him? The lad had a dream of playing in the EPL and like it or not, he had a (small) part to play in getting Saints back there. Plus it’s pretty obvious we’re light in the DM dept, so why would he not think he’s got a right to fight for a place?

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Who knows, he's been pretty poor as a DM maybe he has a future as an attacking midfielder bursting into the box and burying a header into the net. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

they aren't and he hasn't. It's a bullshit clickbait article. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

If he has rejected a move to Celtic, who can blame him? The lad had a dream of playing in the EPL and like it or not, he had a (small) part to play in getting Saints back there. Plus it’s pretty obvious we’re light in the DM dept, so why would he not think he’s got a right to fight for a place?

I was a bit dubious about Charles to Celtic. Norn Iron players usually prefer Rangers, but as he isn't actually from Norn Ireland I thought maybe he might be an exception. Of course Brenda is from NI.

One thing that shouldn't be underestimated is character and leadership. Last time we went down the dressing room was severely lacking in these areas and reportedly had fractions all over it. But, Luton had both of these attributes last season and they were the best of the three to go down, despite on paper looking the worst. Blackpool, Burnley, Stoke and Bournemouth over the years have also stayed up through having leaders, characters and a tight squad. Even in our most successful days of recent years we used to boast the black box, which identified good characters, rather than just good footballers.

Looking at our business this summer, which prompted my original post:

Lallana, our former captain and hugely experienced Premier League footballer. Probably more use off the pitch, but again will help stop what happened last time were here.

THB, here last season, captained the England youth teams, a leader at just 22.

Taylor, not a Bertrand or a Shaw, but he is a solid and experienced Premier League footballer. We had Maitland-Niles at left-back a couple of times last time. We needed an upgrade on Manning and have done that.

Edwards, England youth international and captained Barnet youth teams when he was coming through there.

Wood, yeah, I'm not too sure, but he knows Martin and vice versa. Got to be better than Holgate, which you'd imagine is the role he'll play here next season.

Sugawara, good fee for a player with Champions League and Europa League experience. Appears a good character in his interviews. The old Saints wouldn't have replaced Walker-Peters until he had actually left and then we'd be rushing a player in late into September with no pre-season expecting them to pick up where they player they've replaced has left off.

Downes, was essential we signed him permanently. The mistake Burnley made last season and Forest almost made the season before was not securing their loans on permanent deals, but looking elsewhere instead. Again, he appears to be another leader in the dressing room to go with his importance on the pitch and in the system we play.

And now today, Brereton Diaz. £7m is peanuts. We paid more for Ross Stewart and nearly double (without add ons) for Shea Charles last summer. It made too much sense to sign a player with his goal scoring record for such a little fee and it's one that usually bypasses us as we would look for the more exotic choice. Again, also seems like a good character.

The key point being, that while a lot of these signings aren't head turners or household names, they all do boast positive footballing CVs and you can see where they fit into the squad. This isn't Joe Shields' scattergun approach we had last time where we identified players who looked good at youth level and hoped they could then go straight into senior Premier League football.

Now, of course our business is far from over. But to get all these players over the line when it's not even August yet, the club needs to be applauded. Ramsdale (another strong character), O'Riley, a CDM to cover Downes, a wide attacker to replace Tella/Brookes (Although that may now be BBD) and another striker would give us a good chance of making a claim of staying in the league and then targeting a higher calibre of players next summer.

Although, the need for a new goalkeeper is essential as we've been there and done it with both Bazunu and McCarthy and they aren't good enough. Why can't Lis go back to Goztepe, permanently, or on loan again?

• Like 11

I was curious how our team looks compared with our last two prem seasons and don't think we look any worse (important as we finished 20th in last one!). These are based on 442 of most common starters, and our squad as of today although clearly will change.

21/22
Finished 15th

Forster

Livramento
Salisu
Bednarek
Walker Peter

JWP
Romeu
Elynousi
Redmond

Adams
Broja

22/23 20th

Bazunu

KWP
ABK
Salisu
Perraud

JWP
Elynousi
Lavia
Stu

Che
Adam A

This season
Alex M

Sugawara
Bednarek 
THB
KWP

Downes
Smallbone
Aribo
Edozie

Adam A
BDD

I think the only area we look weaker is losing JWP/ Romeu or JWP / Lavia.

We have better players than elynousi, Stu and possibly Redmond before any additional signings .

Another forward and some quality like O'Riley, and we will definitely be stronger.

If you look at goals / assists over those last two seasons from AM,  it would not be hard for Dibling to do better.

Edited by West end Saints

11 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Who knows, he's been pretty poor as a DM maybe he has a future as an attacking midfielder bursting into the box and burying a header into the net. 

Very harsh, For his age and inexperience Shea has looked a  decent prospect as a DM, he just needs to improve his touch and passing, which should come with experience. 

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

I was curious how our team looks compared with our last two prem seasons and don't think we look any worse (important as we finished 20th in last one!). These are based on 442 of most common starters, and our squad as of today although clearly will change.

21/22
Finished 15th

Forster

Livramento
Salisu
Bednarek
Walker Peter

JWP
Romeu
Elynousi
Redmond

Adams
Broja

22/23 20th

Bazunu

KWP
ABK
Salisu
Perraud

JWP
Elynousi
Lavia
Stu

Che
Adam A

This season
AM

Sugawara
Bednarek 
THB
KWP

Downes
Smallbone
Aribo
Edozie

Adam A
BDD

We have better players than elynousi, Stu and possibly Redmond before any additional signings .

Another forward and some quality like O'Riley, and we will definitely be stronger.

If you look at goals / assists over those last two seasons from AM,  it would not be hard for Dibling to do better.

All comes down to whether we have an effective style of play as well. Right now i don't think anyone knows exactly which saints we'll see next season - will it be the 4-3-3 possession and attacking side, or will it be the more defensive 5 at the back we saw at the end of last season, or perhaps a mix of the two.

I agree with Harv's post above though, i think we've done the right thing by keeping the key men from last season, and then acquiring strong characters across the team. Bodes well for a good, positive, and determined dressing room next season.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

21/22
Finished 15th

Forster

Livramento
Salisu
Bednarek
Walker Peter

JWP
Romeu
Elynousi
Redmond

Adams
Broja

22/23 20th

Bazunu

KWP
ABK
Salisu
Perraud

JWP
Elynousi
Lavia
Stu

Che
Adam A

This season
Alex M

Sugawara
Bednarek 
THB
KWP

Downes
Smallbone
Aribo
Edozie

Adam A
BDD

Err, I'd say man for man that current midfield four is much weaker than either of the others... Downes is good, but he's not prime Romeu or Lavia, and he's the only one you could argue is at par.

• Like 4

Yeah, that current team is definitely weaker than the ones before it, on paper at least, even if I think it has more cohesion and team spirit right now. However, I think there's a chance we sign three (or four) starting players (GK, CM, RW/LW, ST) before the window shuts, which will make a difference, and our depth may well end up being better than our last run at this level

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forester said:

Good, if true 

No it’s not really, he obviously doesn’t want to stay so we need the cash to reinvest elsewhere.

Noting against Kyle as he has been brilliant for us but we have a replacement and we need the money.

• Like 8

Just now, northam soul said:

No it’s not really, he obviously doesn’t want to stay so we need the cash to reinvest elsewhere.

Noting against Kyle as he has been brilliant for us but we have a replacement and we need the money.

Yes, as much I’d love Kyle to stay, the club doesn’t want another senior player on a free next summer. I suspect he is waiting on Spurs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Yes, as much I’d love Kyle to stay, the club doesn’t want another senior player on a free next summer. I suspect he is waiting on Spurs.

You think he’d want to go full circle and end up back on the bench at Spurs?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Err, I'd say man for man that current midfield four is much weaker than either of the others... Downes is good, but he's not prime Romeu or Lavia, and he's the only one you could argue is at par.

Central midfield yes.

I will be very surprised and disappointed if our attacking midfielders are not significant improvement on Ely and Stu.

Even without new signings Smallbone / Aribo are likely to better Ely / Stu combined total of 3 goals and two assists!  

Smallbone (particularly in second half of season ) and Aribo both more mobile and actually sometimes track / tackle which is an improvement.

Also Maitland Niles and Djenpo played significant minutes.

Lavia also, as would be expected for his age, wasn't always consistent.

I think we will be stronger in midfield this year.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Blackburn and villareal fans views on BBD .. keep in mind this was just before his loan to Sheffield last year .,

https://roysviewfrom.com/2024/01/05/villarreal-and-blackburn-fans-views-on-ben-brereton-diaz/

Some odd bitter Blackburn fans there. One saying they wouldn't take him back! Laughable.

Some players just don't suit certain leagues, we've seen it in the EPL many times.

43 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Some odd bitter Blackburn fans there. One saying they wouldn't take him back! Laughable.

Some players just don't suit certain leagues, we've seen it in the EPL many times.

Yeah but  but If you ignore the extreme ones I think sone of them try to be balanced .

I was a bit meh on this signing at first but he does have some super finishes in his Blackburn goals which look light years better then what we have had to put up with from che 

I think whoever it was above that said they get jayrod vibes could be a good expectation level just not sure it will be the pre injury jay rod 

• Like 3

This is where I think we are currently up to:

Goalkeepers: Bazunu, McCarthy, Lumley, Lis   - With Bazunu injured we ideally need a keeper and Lis or Lumley should therefore be loaned out.

Right Backs: KWP, Sugawara, Bree  - KWP and/or Bree may leave. Another player may be signed if KWP leaves.

Centre Backs:  Bednarek, Harwood-Bellis, Edwards, Wood, Bella-Kotchap, Stephens  - We have plenty of options at CB! Bednarek could leave if he cannot be tied to a new contract. Bella-Kotchap's future may depend on getting him fit enough. He could be loaned out but may stay, though that could leave us with a lot of CBs!

Left Backs:  Taylor, Manning, Meghoma, Larios  - If KWP stays he can also play at LB. Larios superfluous to our needs but injuries mean few clubs will be interested. Meghoma's contract up for renewal next year, so a sale seems a strong possibility. Seems unlikely we will sign anyone else.

Defensive midfielders:  Downes, Charles  - Limited options in this position, so a purchase would seem likely/necessary, especially if Charles is loaned out to facilitate the purchase of O'Riley. Stephens or others may need to cover this position if we don't strengthen.

Central Midfielders:  Smallbone, Dibling  -  Seriously lacking in this position. Downes could cover here but is needed at CDM! The signing of O'Riley and/or other CM/CDM player(s) is essential.

Attacking Midfielders:  Alcaraz, Aribo, Lallana  - I can't see us prioritising further additions here. If needed, some of our wingers or Dibling can also cover this position.

Wingers:  Armstrong, Edozie, Sulemana, Amo-Ameyaw   - Despite having four players already in these two positions plus Brereton-Diaz who can also play here, we are being linked with a number of other players in these positions including Fraser. Could any of the current batch leave if we sign someone else?

Centre Forwards:  Stewart, Brereton-Diaz, Mara, Ballard   - It seems we are still being linked with others. With Armstrong also likely to play as CF on occasions, Mara's options will surely become limited now, unless we have serious injury problems. You've got to think he will leave on loan at the very least. Meanwhile Ballard needs experience of first team football, so a loan seems likely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Goalkeepers: Bazunu, McCarthy, Lumley, Lis   - With Bazunu injured we ideally need a keeper and Lis or Lumley should therefore be loaned out.

Right Backs: KWP, Sugawara, Bree  - KWP and/or Bree may leave. Another player may be signed if KWP leaves.

Centre Backs:  Bednarek, Harwood-Bellis, Edwards, Wood, Bella-Kotchap, Stephens  - We have plenty of options at CB! Bednarek could leave if he cannot be tied to a new contract. Bella-Kotchap's future may depend on getting him fit enough. He could be loaned out but may stay, though that could leave us with a lot of CBs!

Left Backs:  Taylor, Manning, Meghoma, Larios  - If KWP stays he can also play at LB. Larios superfluous to our needs but injuries mean few clubs will be interested. Meghoma's contract up for renewal next year, so a sale seems a strong possibility. Seems unlikely we will sign anyone else.

Defensive midfielders:  Downes, Charles  - Limited options in this position, so a purchase would seem likely/necessary, especially if Charles is loaned out to facilitate the purchase of O'Riley. Stephens or others may need to cover this position if we don't strengthen.

Central Midfielders:  Smallbone, Dibling  -  Seriously lacking in this position. Downes could cover here but is needed at CDM! The signing of O'Riley and/or other CM/CDM player(s) is essential.

Attacking Midfielders:  Alcaraz, Aribo, Lallana  - I can't see us prioritising further additions here. If needed, some of our wingers or Dibling can also cover this position.

Wingers:  Armstrong, Edozie, Sulemana, Amo-Ameyaw   - Despite having four players already in these two positions plus Brereton-Diaz who can also play here, we are being linked with a number of other players in these positions including Fraser. Could any of the current batch leave if we sign someone else?

Centre Forwards:  Stewart, Brereton-Diaz, Mara, Ballard   - It seems we are still being linked with others. With Armstrong also likely to play as CF on occasions, Mara's options will surely become limited now, unless we have serious injury problems. You've got to think he will leave on loan at the very least. Meanwhile Ballard needs experience of first team football, so a loan seems likely.

Do I have to pay more than a fiver for a colour SaintsWeb license?

• Haha 10

9 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Fuck me, I've got to stop sniffing glue. 

• Haha 10

17 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Pride Month comes round earlier and earlier every year, doesn't it.

• Haha 5

Waiting for the inevitable Ornstein exclusive that <insert PL club aside from Saints (probably Brighton)> have agreed a £25m deal to sign O'Riley.

Feels like its dragged on so long that if we were going to do it we would have already.

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Waiting for the inevitable Ornstein exclusive that <insert PL club aside from Saints (probably Brighton)> have agreed a £25m deal to sign O'Riley.

Feels like its dragged on so long that if we were going to do it we would have already.

Yep. Brighton or Liverpool or maybe even Athletico reigniting their interest. 

Edited by hypochondriac

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Hoping for O'Riley but probably getting Carvalho on loan.

1 hour ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Centre Forwards:  Stewart, Brereton-Diaz, Mara, Ballard   - It seems we are still being linked with others. With Armstrong also likely to play as CF on occasions, Mara's options will surely become limited now, unless we have serious injury problems. You've got to think he will leave on loan at the very least. Meanwhile Ballard needs experience of first team football, so a loan seems likel

Based on the players we used last season, and no longer have, then  I'd say  we'd be looking to replace Fraser, Stu and Brooks (and he was a Tella stand in). Another DM would be ideal, depending on Charles.

But lots of options and flexibility also impacted by the formation Martin goes for. My understanding is that Taylor could be the left side of a back 3. Also that Lallana can operate in deeper midfield positions (and out left based on  his experience there). If it's 2 up front, AA prefers that position, and would be Brereton Diaz's partner. BBD, as you say, can play put wide too.

Martin found out before the end of last season, who wanted to leave at that time. Could be any of Lumley, Bree, ABK, KWP, Mara, Sule and/or Alcaraz to name the most likely. If KWP leaves, no reason why Bree can't get opportunities in the squad. A number of these were peripheral or put on loan, giving room for youngsters in the squad.

Martin will have assessed the development of Charles, Edozie, SAA and Sibling to see how much first team football is likely. Recent injuries with Larios, Ballard and Stewart to take into account too. With 2 of those forwards, and Mara maybe going, another there might be needed too.

It looks to be a busy month.

9 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Hoping for O'Riley but probably getting Carvalho on loan.

Carvalho on loan works for me. Maybe with some sort of buy deal if it works out would be excellent.

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Carvalho on loan works for me. Maybe with some sort of buy deal if it works out would be excellent.

If we can get Carvalho then it would be a good bit of business. The kid is quality and certainly has potential. Too good for the champ and needs to start playing serious squad time in the prem. The fact he's seemingly turned us down already is concerning however (particularly given last year it would have been as part of a promotion team). He's also a signing that would fit our current strategy of having the best of the championship should we go back down 😆.

Personally i am not that convinced by the Celtic lad. Its a lot of money, and given the opposition he plays against in Scotland i'd expect to see more from him in his highlight reels. £25-30M is a lot of money for us this window given we also need a keeper, another CM, and a striker. I'm just not convinced its the best use of our funds. Plus equally, how often does a record signing really work out well for saints?

Edited by Saint86

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

The fact he's seemingly turned us down already is concerning however (particularly given last year it would have been as part of a promotion team).

Most likely for playing time, was a regular player at Hull. We got Brooks instead who really didn't get a great run in the team, was sub/subbed most games IIRC.